Looking Ahead ... News about the Colts (week 1 opponent)

Lothar

I'd like to start a thread like this (maybe YOLO or 26 can do this more justice) during the season as we prep for an opponent.

I remember reading a few months back how the Colts were not a bad run defense while Arthur Jones was on the field last season. He was injured on the first drive during their preseason game against the Rams and is now in a walking boot. I don't wish bad luck on anyone but considering we'll be missing Dareus and McKelvin, I'd like all the help we can get week 1. Without him, we're talking a difference of nearly a yard more per carry. That's a big difference.

Here’s a look at the type of impact Jones when he was on the field prior to the AFC Championship game last season.

WITHOUT JONES ON THE FIELD

• 257 rushes for 1,201 yards (4.67 yards per rush)

• 3.12 yards before contact per rush

• 12 rushing TDs (4.7 percent of rushes)

• First downs allowed on 26 percent of rushes

WITH JONES ON THE FIELD

• 165 rushes for 615 yards (3.73 yards per rush)

• 2.15 yards before contact per rush

• 2 rushing TDs (1.2 percent of rushes)

• First downs allowed on 22 percent of rushes

http://scores.espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/13395/the-statistics-show-that-the-colts-need-art-jones-on-the-field-to-stop-the-run

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I wouldnt be shocked if we rolled Graham or AW back out at #2 and used Darby at nickel.

I would be shocked if this was a tactic employed against the Colts. Other teams, yes. But not the Colts. Neither Williams or Graham have the long speed needed to cover T.Y. Hilton man to man. Gilmore may not even have it. Mckelvin does. I wish he were healthy. That being said, Gilmore sends to do his best work against bigger, more physical receivers. Match him up on Johnson and give Darby some serious over the top help against Hilton. And then pray.

The Colts Oline has really struggled so far this preseason. I really think this is set up well for a repeat of last year's week 1 where everyone counted us out. However I'm also growing more convinced we'll be getting a ticked off Brady in week 2.

This. The best pass D will be their pressure on Luck. Force quick throws and negate TY's deep speed.

I was watching the Colts 3rd pre-season game against the Rams and their vanilla offense is very similar to our vanilla offense. Lots of 2 TE sets, motions, prominent HB using and a fair share of plays where the guard pulled on running plays.

2 solid TEs, I really like their young WRs, Dorsett & Cris Carter's kid. I hear their o-line is shot, have trouble vs the run and they only have V Davis as a reliable cover corner.

Should be fun! "Is this thing on?" ..."cuz its about to be"

And here's an update about Jones, the one difference-maker on that line ... looks like they're considering the short term Pup list for him. If he can't play, that really is as big a loss to their team as Dareus is to ours (because we have the Bryant "brothers" to fill in).

Defensive tackle Art Jones is a huge key to the Indianapolis Colts' defense.

That's why a decision on how to proceed afterJones suffered a left ankle injury in Saturday night's preseason game against the St. Louis Rams is not being rushed.

Deliberations continued Tuesday with multiple doctors evaluating Jones and trying to establish a timeline for his return to the field.

Coach Chuck Pagano said that he had no update on Jones' status.

But one option being discussed by the Colts, sources said, is placing Jones on the NFL's short-term injured reserve list, a move that would allow Jones to return to the lineup this season but would require Jones to miss half the regular season.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/09/01/indianapolis-colts-art-jones-ankle-short-term-injured-reserve/71527002/

And here's an update about Jones, the one difference-maker on that line ... looks like they're considering the short term Pup list for him. If he can't play, that really is as big a loss to their team as Dareus is to ours (because we have the Bryant "brothers" to fill in).

Defensive tackle Art Jones is a huge key to the Indianapolis Colts' defense.

That's why a decision on how to proceed afterJones suffered a left ankle injury in Saturday night's preseason game against the St. Louis Rams is not being rushed.

Deliberations continued Tuesday with multiple doctors evaluating Jones and trying to establish a timeline for his return to the field.

Coach Chuck Pagano said that he had no update on Jones' status.

But one option being discussed by the Colts, sources said, is placing Jones on the NFL's short-term injured reserve list, a move that would allow Jones to return to the lineup this season but would require Jones to miss half the regular season.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2015/09/01/indianapolis-colts-art-jones-ankle-short-term-injured-reserve/71527002/

If they are actually considering that idea there is little chance he plays against the Bills.

Andrew Luck today on starting to prepare for the Bills:

“It starts this week. You start preparing and looking at film. It’s going to be tough. That’s a good defense. Coach (Rex) Ryan is a heck of a coach and they are always going to bring some funky stuff.”

CB-Greg Toler (neck): Appeared to not be practicing on Tuesday.

OLB-Cam Johnson (ankle): Appeared to not be practicing on Tuesday.

RB-Josh Robinson (concussion): Appeared to not be practicing on Tuesday.

OG-Hugh Thornton (knee): Appeared to not be practicing on Tuesday.

The rest, including TY Hilton, were practicing today.

I think the key to a good pass defense is a good pass rush. Luck's an excellent QB, but he can't carve up the secondary if he's on his back most of the game.

I listened to an interview with Luck on the radio today (Dan Patrick Show) and of course he didn't say anything, but Patrick mentioned that the Colts' biggest concern this season will be the O-line. A QB like Luck can overcome some of that, but eventually a bad O line is going to cost them.

I think the key to a good pass defense is a good pass rush. Luck's an excellent QB, but he can't carve up the secondary if he's on his back most of the game.

I listened to an interview with Luck on the radio today (Dan Patrick Show) and of course he didn't say anything, but Patrick mentioned that the Colts' biggest concern this season will be the O-line. A QB like Luck can overcome some of that, but eventually a bad O line is going to cost them.

Sounds like the key for Bills will be to disrupt the short, quick passes by pressing receivers at the line. Also looking forward to the Hughes match up with their LT.

Sounds like the key for Bills will be to disrupt the short, quick passes by pressing receivers at the line. Also looking forward to the Hughes match up with their LT.

Keeping Luck in the pocket will be huge as well, he can run. They may be thinking with MD out, they'll be able to run Gore up the middle. I don't see much success with that...

ESPN did a piece on Andrew Luck the other day...what an interesting dude. Premier QB in the league and very out of the spotlight in terms of the media, and that seems to be the way he likes it. He claims he isn't on any social media but understands being in his position he probably should be a bit more out there. Says he didn't plan on watching the superbowl but was out to dinner with his g/f and it was on, so it was in his line of sight and couldn't help but see parts of it. seems to be a very low key guy in an otherwise high key world.

Andrew Luck today on starting to prepare for the Bills:

“It starts this week. You start preparing and looking at film. It’s going to be tough. That’s a good defense. Coach (Rex) Ryan is a heck of a coach and they are always going to bring some funky stuff.”