How the Bills decided on Rex....

This was a great read. It sheds a lot of light onto the process.

A quick story about a HC hire when I was in NOLA. When the team was interviewing for a HC (eventually Monty Williams was hired) Avery Johnson was considered a favorite by outsiders. His resume was pretty good, he is from New Orleans and he wanted the job. His interview was an absolute disaster. My old boss said that it was the worst interview that he conducted in his entire career for any position. It was like 30 minutes long (the others were 4+ hours). They asked him , "how do you handle players that are causing problems?" He paused and said, "I get his grandma on the phone and say 'mama, get a pot of gumbo on the stove because your boys been misbehaving.'" He never talked about staff, philosophy, etc...

I guess the moral of the story is he was seen as the ideal fit by many prior to the search and they could have interviewed 400 candidates and he probably would have finished 400 (and I love the story). Whether or not Rex was seen as the ideal candidate prior to the start of the process doesn't matter. After hearing him talk, he seems like the perfect fit. I hope that it works out and Rex is here for a long time.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Does anybody really fret about Rex not being at the "top of the list" from the very beginning of the search?

The fact that he wasn't and the fact that the Pegulas are honest about it is kind of refreshing. To me, it indicates an open-minded approach to things.

A quick story about a HC hire when I was in NOLA. When the team was interviewing for a HC (eventually Monty Williams was hired) Avery Johnson was considered a favorite by outsiders. His resume was pretty good, he is from New Orleans and he wanted the job. His interview was an absolute disaster. My old boss said that it was the worst interview that he conducted in his entire career for any position. It was like 30 minutes long (the others were 4+ hours). They asked him , "how do you handle players that are causing problems?" He paused and said, "I get his grandma on the phone and say 'mama, get a pot of gumbo on the stove because your boys been misbehaving.'" He never talked about staff, philosophy, etc...

I guess the moral of the story is he was seen as the ideal fit by many prior to the search and they could have interviewed 400 candidates and he probably would have finished 400 (and I love the story). Whether or not Rex was seen as the ideal candidate prior to the start of the process doesn't matter. After hearing him talk, he seems like the perfect fit. I hope that it works out and Rex is here for a long time.

I like that story, goes to show that even if the fans would be thrilled by something and the team can make it happen it sometimes isn't the right fit. When you think you have it and don't give it preparation how are you going to prepare a team day in and day out.

I guess Kim's attitude scares me a little. She wanted someone who could relate to the Buffalo community.

The criteria for HC shouldn't be diluted. There should be one criterion only: this guy is a great HC.

Tenure considerations do matter, but not the touchy-feely PR stuff. Which HC gives us the best chance of getting to the playoffs year after year? That's the only question that really needs to be answered.

Having said all that, I'm happy with Rex.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Did this annoy anyone else seeing it throughout the article?

Is it really that difficult to type Marrone?

according to legend, if you type the name "marrone" five times in an article, he will force your team to punt from the 30. then he'll quit and disappear until summoned once again.

according to legend, if you type the name "marrone" five times in an article, he will force your team to punt from the 30. then he'll quit and disappear until summoned once again.

hahaha

Or...

If you type his name in 4 times he will dissapear after 2

CBF

I guess Kim's attitude scares me a little. She wanted someone who could relate to the Buffalo community.

The criteria for HC shouldn't be diluted. There should be one criterion only: this guy is a great HC.

Tenure considerations do matter, but not the touchy-feely PR stuff. Which HC gives us the best chance of getting to the playoffs year after year? That's the only question that really needs to be answered.

I don't think it was really that cut and dry regarding her attitude. It was probably just a personal factor she had in mind. I doubt Brandon, Whaley or Terry were really concerned with it.

It's the same as saying that Jim should be on the coaching staff. Everyone loves him so that trumps whether he would be a good coach.

hahaha

Or...

If you type his name in 4 times he will dissapear after 2

CBF

I just said marrone in the mirror three times and forgot what I was doing.

Why does Kim's attitude scare you? That's her expertise and role in the organization, isn't it? So like any division head or VP, her interest in a new hire is how they'll contribute in the area they oversee. Doug Whaley was there for the X's and O's stuff. If Kim was the ONLY person conducting the interview, then there's reason to be scared.

Denigrate it all you want, but community relations and PR is tremendously important. And it's not like hiring a prick with a bad attitude automatically gets you any closer to success (see Marrone, Doug).

Wait, so the fans don't always know more than the front office? But I've been reading.... I need to rethink some things....

I don't think it was really that cut and dry regarding her attitude. It was probably just a personal factor she had in mind. I doubt Brandon, Whaley or Terry were really concerned with it.

It's the same as saying that Jim should be on the coaching staff. Everyone loves him so that trumps whether he would be a good coach.

I just said marrone in the mirror three times and forgot what I was doing.

Probably true. In the end, I think they chose the guy who gave us the best chance of winning. I like the staff Rex put together and - minus QB - I like the roster Whaley put together. And I like that Whaley and Ryan seem to get along.

The fact that Rex is a Buffalo kind of guy with some ties to the Buffalo area is just bonus.

No it was not personal, it was objectified - they probably would have talked about whomever left same way.

There is nothing wrong with her focusing on community since it was an area which needs to be addressed DESPITE some clueless people thinking otherwise, the Bills are in a smaller community and many Bills' fans are very sensitive about it.

Interesting tidbits, but poorly written article. Brown should have Timma ghost write his articles for him.

What I got was that Kim wants someone who wants to be in Buffalo.

I think it is going to take a coach with a lot of courage and tenacity to gets Buffalo back to its rightful place as kings of the AFC. Rex had the personality to do it. With Everyone on the same page the future looks bright.

Just curious if anyone seen this at the bottom of the article.

"This story was originally published on February 4, 2015."

Is this just a republish, or did it have new info to add? I vaguely remember reading something similar.

Edited by FLbills

i really loved the Ryan hire. He's a quality coach the Bills are lucky to have. Huge improvement over Marrone where my reaction was "Are you effing kidding me? He was a mediocre coach - at Syracuse." Big props to the Pegulas for the quick, huge upgrade at HC.

I'm not annoyed by it. Marrone left the team high and dry and I'm certain that it's left a bad taste with more than one team official. It's the official team channel, so I'm not surprised.

Meh, I hear what you're saying, except....people skills are people skills. Someone who can relate to the players is typically someone who can relate to the community. The only Rex question is whether he relates a little too much, to the point of distraction/ineffectiveness. And someone who is focused on winning to the exclusion of all else becomes a Harbaugh-type, who ultimately loses both the community and the team.

I love everything the Pegulas have done with both teams but Our chances of winning the superbowl without a solid QB are slim, We don't even have a Trent Dilfer on this team. They really should have went full court press on Drew Brees or Philip Rivers.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/178986-how-to-interpret-a-qb-x-could-be-on-trading-block-article/?p=3585423

Works for "we should have done a Full Court Press on SuperQB X or Y" too.

Thanks.

I love everything the Pegulas have done with both teams but Our chances of winning the superbowl without a solid QB are slim, We don't even have a Trent Dilfer on this team. They really should have went full court press on Drew Brees or Philip Rivers.

I hear Skelton is available. Just kidding BB. Your right we need a QB, but there is no one out there bud. Brees and Rivers would not have left the door. No team is that dumb to lose a franchise QB when they finally have one. We're going to have to find one in the draft. So they probably missed on EJ. Keep trying. Every year we need to pick one until we hit on one.

We basically if we can retain our talent have the perfect team to make a run at the SB if we get a QB. I'm delusional so I'm praying Cassel gets back to his 10-6 year at the Chiefs, or 11-5 year at the Patriots. Who knows? I want to belive we have the #1 running team, and the #1 defense. With both, we would get Sammy open a lot along with Woods and Clay.

They were free agents?

Is this just a republish, or did it have new info to add? I vaguely remember reading something similar.

It was an old article. There was nothing new in it. I assume the Bills were off for the holiday so they just decided to reprint a good story from before.

I hear Skelton is available. Just kidding BB. Your right we need a QB, but there is no one out there bud. Brees and Rivers would not have left the door. No team is that dumb to lose a franchise QB when they finally have one. We're going to have to find one in the draft. So they probably missed on EJ. Keep trying. Every year we need to pick one until we hit on one.

We basically if we can retain our talent have the perfect team to make a run at the SB if we get a QB. I'm delusional so I'm praying Cassel gets back to his 10-6 year at the Chiefs, or 11-5 year at the Patriots. Who knows? I want to belive we have the #1 running team, and the #1 defense. With both, we would get Sammy open a lot along with Woods and Clay.

Yeah, were are going to need those picks to trade up for Connor Cook.

The thing that really stuck out to me in that read is that we have one of the most important things needed in order to biuld a winning team

synergy between the head coach and the GM

Rex Ryan knows how to win football games.....he has demonstrated that by getting to two AFC title games

and

Rex Ryan has also shown us what happens when HC and upper management are not on the same page.....it dont work

What you now have in buffalo is a coach who knows what he needs......and a GM that agrees with him on what he needs....AND a owner who is willing to get them what they need

A pretty good 3 way combo

The thing that really stuck out to me in that read is that we have one of the most important things needed in order to biuld a winning team

Rex Ryan knows how to win football games.....he has demonstrated that by getting to two AFC title games

and

Rex Ryan has also shown us what happens when HC and upper management are not on the same page.....it dont work

What you now have in buffalo is a coach who knows what he needs......and a GM that agrees with him on what he needs....AND a owner who is willing to get them what they need

sounds a bit mischievous to me. But good post John. I too think there is continuity of concept and execution developing at One Bills Drive

Ahh, missed that. Makes sense now. Seems like the exact same article I remember from before.

Did this annoy anyone else seeing it throughout the article?Is it really that difficult to type Marrone?

Voldemort

Not me. One criterion in addition to those that make an great HC from a purely football perspective.

I think we have a great HC on multiple levels. I also think it is great that we have someone who has embraced the community etc. unlike he who shall not be named.

and

If only...

BB- is he your #1? I'll look onto him. Thanks for the tip.

As far as people saying Rivers and Brees would go to free agency and NO and San Diego would let them go? C'mon, they would have tagged those guys until they received a new deal.

There are as many as 9 guys that COULD perform well enough to establish themselves as 1st or 2nd round QBs for 2016.

I'm not worried about having to move up, though I'm not against doing so for the right guy.