Corey Graham to Safety

What do you think of the decision? Must mean Leo is healthy and/or Darby looking good early on. With AW/Duke/Graham at safety (I think the FS/SS roles are somewhat blurred in this scheme) can we cover Gronk finally with Rex's system? Interested to hear thoughts...

Rex talked about this months ago and I thought it was a good idea then. With McKelvin coming back, Darby being drafted, and Searcy bolting, moving Graham to safety makes perfect sense.

Looks like Leo is healthy and they are obviously high on Darby already. We have depth at corner, especially with the option to move AW or CG if injuries really pile up. I still expect Duke to make a solid showing in camp and we will probably definitely see a lot of hybrid looks with all these DBs getting some opportunities.

Does anyone know who Rex used to cover Gronk over the years?

Looks like Leo is healthy and they are obviously high on Darby already. We have depth at corner, especially with the option to move AW or CG if injuries really pile up. I still expect Duke to make a solid showing in camp and we will probably definitely see a lot of hybrid looks with all these DBs getting some opportunities.

Does anyone know who Rex used to cover Gronk over the years?

would be a good use of all-22. Last year he was really devoid of talent in the secondary so had to use some wonky schemes. Maybe 2013 would be a good assessment or even 2012 (when Revis was still there). Though, I can't remember when Revis and Gronk were each out with injuries back then)

would be a good use of all-22. Last year he was really devoid of talent in the secondary so had to use some wonky schemes. Maybe 2013 would be a good assessment or even 2012 (when Revis was still there). Though, I can't remember when Revis and Gronk were each out with injuries back then)

From what I see Rex Ryan using places a defender underBeth who gets his hands on Gronk and redirects his route to another player who picks him up from there

I've seen brady throw picks trying to throw to Gronk with this coverage

From what I see Rex Ryan using places a defender underBeth who gets his hands on Gronk and redirects his route to another player who picks him up from there

sounds better than the Duke Williams 1:1 matchup we saw last year

Sounds good to me.

Ovreall, with the Graham move to safety I think this moves give us depth at safety and we still have depth at CB with versatility to both when things change with injuries too! More great stuff for us!

Edited by Manther

Serious question.......could Graham make the pro bowl as a safety?

He is pretty darn good there

its possible we catch lightning, but if he felt he was a probowl quality safety hed probably have had more time to shine there and gotten a bigger contract. that said, behind this line, and with good corner play, and the right coaching it wouldnt be shocking to see him really shine and be very productive.

he was awful on corner. the instant mckelvin got hurt, that Miami game turned for the worse and Tannehill threw at Graham every time.

i think he was good at corner early in the season, but had a bad game vs. miami. I don't think he is a "Rex" type corner...

I think we're looking at a base nickel defense with Gilmore/McKelvin/Darby at CB and Aaron/Duke Williams at S.

When they go to a big nickel, I think they pull a corner off the field (probably McKelvin), bring Graham on as the FS, shift Aaron to SS, and walk Duke down as the box safety.

I love that.

I think we're looking at a base nickel defense with Gilmore/McKelvin/Darby at CB and Aaron/Duke Williams at S.

When they go to a big nickel, I think they pull a corner off the field (probably McKelvin), bring Graham on as the FS, shift Aaron to SS, and walk Duke down as the box safety.

I love that.

I'm a fan of the Big Nickel as well. With all the spread offense, and running out of the shotgun and pistol, and dynamic TE's. Bucky Brooks did a great article on it.

Graham is in that perfect middle ground where he can play like a CB or safety when called for either, which can mean that Rex can play mixed zone and man on given plays to screw with offenses.

I'm a fan of the Big Nickel as well. With all the spread offense, and running out of the shotgun and pistol, and dynamic TE's. Bucky Brooks did a great article on it.

Graham is in that perfect middle ground where he can play like a CB or safety when called for either, which can mean that Rex can play mixed zone and man on given plays to screw with offenses.

The whole benefit of having versatile players is that the offense can't target a particular guy just from the pre-snap read...as if we all have to be reminded of Brady*'s "43 is the MIKE" a few years ago in that 2nd half debacle at RWS.

The whole benefit of having versatile players is that the offense can't target a particular guy just from the pre-snap read...as if we all have to be reminded of Brady*'s "43 is the MIKE" a few years ago in that 2nd half debacle at RWS.

*wince*

You had to remind me of that, didn't you.

Serious question.......could Graham make the pro bowl as a safety?

He is pretty darn good there

Graham should serve as an excellent cover safety. If he gets his share of picks, I could see him in the pro bowl. He's not a great tackler though, so absent interceptions I don't believe so. Think it's a good move by Ryan none the less. Bills need more guys that can cover and need to count on the defensive line and linebackers to be the run stoppers they were last year.

It means Duke Williams and Jonathan Meeks aren't long for this team.

why Duke Williams? He's young, cheap, talented and improving. I think he will start.

Sal just said on WGR that Darby looked better than he expected him to this early

Edited by YoloinOhio

why Duke Williams? He's young, cheap, talented and improving. I think he will start.

Sal just said on WGR that Darby looked better than he expected him to this early

All good news... Too early though to read much into players being moved around.

All good news... Too early though to read much into players being moved around.

seems like they plan to keep him there unless a CB goes down...

@viccarucci: Ryan says CB Corey Graham is going to get most of his practice time at safety. "You want to get your best 11 on the field."

This is a smart move. Graham is one of the top 4-5 DBs on the roster. If he proves that he can adapt to the S position then our defense will be all the better for it.

He's very good at reading the QB and making a play on the ball. For that reason I can see him playing the starting FS position with A. Williams as the starting SS. I still see D. Williams (who could be in for a breakout season in his 3rd year as a pro) getting his fair share of playing time.

There's no doubt that with Gilmore, McKelvin, Darby, Robey at CB the Bills can afford to move Graham to S in an attempt to get their best players on the field as much as possible.

I think Graham is a better player than D. Williams, especially in coverage.

What do you think of the decision? Must mean Leo is healthy and/or Darby looking good early on. With AW/Duke/Graham at safety (I think the FS/SS roles are somewhat blurred in this scheme) can we cover Gronk finally with Rex's system? Interested to hear thoughts...

Makes sense to do it early. They have to find out if he's the guy & the more reps the better.

when you look at the scheme Ryan runs and it's success with little to no true pass rushers, I expect this talent loaded team to get 60+ sacks, even more if the offense can put up some points.

Good move. Anything that involves more nickell robey on the field is good with me.

This i love that little ankle biter. One of my favorites to spy when on the field. Graham can flex back and forth. he is not a boundary corner(speedhips) but is a ball hawking/smart playmaker. And the Bills dont have to sub . Happy Rex and Thurman!

I am bit giddy if all these guys can stay healthy . Thats one stacked secondary with Henderson at the helm

*wince*

You had to remind me of that, didn't you.

He reminded "all " of us. still stings doesnt it

This really makes sense....Graham is making starter money.....get him on the field if he is that good!!! He is a vet and maybe is a half a step slower than he was 6-7 years ago, but thats OK, as field experience covers a lot of sins. I thought Graham might become the second coming of Drayton Florence, a great character guy with good skills but lacking in physcial tools after many years in the league. But, I think at safety Graham might last through his full (4?) contract, prolonging his career. Graham can't run with McKelvin, Darby or Gilmore, or Robey for that matter, but he can play. And, that folks, is the #1 requirement.

Good move. Anything that involves more nickell robey on the field is good with me.

If running a 6 dbs I still don't think Robey gets the reps without injury. It would likely be 3 safeties/3 corners

(As opposed to the previous 2 safeties and 4 corners all wearing the exact same jerseys as the new scenario)

Edited by NoSaint

Good move for Graham at this point of his career. He can provide depth at both S and CB while playing at a high level on special teams. Have to see what happens with guys like Cockrell, Meeks and R.Brooks