SI says Bills are a team in "panic mode" w/ QB roster hole

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt anyone at OBD is "panicking" over our QB situation. We are no worse off at the position than last year and a whole lot more talented on offense from top to bottom.

I have the exact opposite opinion of SI as we did not panic and just reach at QB. We made the right decisions, loaded up at free agency given the lack of draft picks at 1st and 4th, and made BPA picks vs. reaching for a TE, G, and QB.

I'm very happy with Whaley's choices in coaching (along with ownership), free agency, and the draft. The ownership also opened the wallet not only in coaching, but also in free agency.

I'm 47 and have never seen us so aggressive at free agency. I don't think we are the dream team like butthead stated for the Eagles a few years back, but we renforced the weakness on offense.

This is of course accurate. No need to shoot the messenger. Only a blind homer would conclude otherwise about the Bills' qb situation.

Also' Geno Smith has had some bad games, but in my opinion he has flashed more potential than Manuel because he's a smoother thrower.

Edited by dave mcbride

If we took about 5 steps back, is this so hard to believe?

Yes. But perhaps its just the characterization as a "panic mode". Nothing the Bills have done has suggested they're in a panic over the QB position. In fact, just the opposite.

I think you could say we have a hole at QB, or its a huge question mark, or its the weakest position on the team likely to doomour season. But I don't think the team is panicking to fix it.

Ps - in his final 4 games of last season, Geno Smith was 71-109 for 1001 yards, 6 tds, and 2 INTs. His completion pct was 65.1, his ypa was 9.2, and his rating was 105.3.

He really improved, basically.

Let's not forget that the reason Cassel is on the roster is because the Bills lost out to the Browns for McCown's services.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yes. But perhaps its just the characterization as a "panic mode". Nothing the Bills have done has suggested they're in a panic over the QB position. In fact, just the opposite.

I think you could say we have a hole at QB, or its a huge question mark, or its the weakest position on the team likely to doomour season. But I don't think the team is panicking to fix it.

If going to argue semantics about the specific word in sure we could debate to what extent panic is defined by draft actions

But if it's gotten to that debate it's clear we don't have an answer yet, and windows close quickly.

Whether or not it keeps Whaley up at night, I don't know but I think it's safe to say it's a real concern.

If going to argue semantics about the specific word in sure we could debate to what extent panic is defined by draft actions

But if it's gotten to that debate it's clear we don't have an answer yet, and windows close quickly.

Whether or not it keeps Whaley up at night, I don't know but I think it's safe to say it's a real concern.

Agreed. It's definitely a concern. Anyone not concerned about the QB situation on this team is not paying attention. In my mind, its the single biggest question mark about this team.... Who will be QB and will he suck? I feel better about the offensive line than I do our QB options.

Agreed. It's definitely a concern. Anyone not concerned about the QB situation on this team is not paying attention. In my mind, its the single biggest question mark about this team.... Who will be QB and will he suck? I feel better about the offensive line than I do our QB options.

Agreed about being more comfortable with the line. They improved at the position. As for qb, orton is better than cassel, so they did not improve there. I have no idea as to whether tyrod is any good. We'll see.

According to SI, the Bills are team in "panic mode" over roster holes at QB.

We are worse off than the Jests because Ryan Fitzpatrick is a much better QB than Matt Cassel and Geno Smith has shown more flashes than EJ Manuel.

Don't shoot the messenger, boys, I read all ab out it right here on SI

This is actually hilarious.

clicks, clicks, clicks. This generation needs exaggeration, needs the Oh's and Awe's. Are you surprised that SI had to go with bold headlines to garner interest? What are they now, the 9th best source for online sports news? If that?

clicks, clicks, clicks. This generation needs exaggeration, needs the Oh's and Awe's. Are you surprised that SI had to go with bold headlines to garner interest? What are they now, the 9th best source for online sports news? If that?

Point very much taken. I'm not even sure I'd rank them in t he top 10. Without click bait, where most of the internet be.

I think some here have a Fitz man crush! No way is he the answer for the Jests. I don't see Bills as being in panic mode. Concerned? Yeah, but why would anyone say panic but to create news rather than report on it...

I agree, the "panic" is to generate clicks and create news. IMO, the Bills have recognized that QB is a questionmark and they have set out to build a roster to compensate for potentially mediocre QBing.

I'm not sure where the "some here have a Fitz man crush" comes into this thread unless the SI reporter is lurking hereabouts - no one here seems to be agreeing with said reporter on his Fitz>Cassel evaluation.

This is actually hilarious.

*bows* glad to amuse.

Ps - in his final 4 games of last season, Geno Smith was 71-109 for 1001 yards, 6 tds, and 2 INTs. His completion pct was 65.1, his ypa was 9.2, and his rating was 105.3.

He really improved, basically.

Let's not forget that the reason Cassel is on the roster is because the Bills lost out to the Browns for McCown's services.

I believe the FO wants Meh to be strictly backup...a veteran hand.

I truly believe they desperately want TT or EJ to start and not screw this up.

There are no question marks at the skill positions on offense. We have a proven OC. There is high optimism that Rex can improve an already elite defense. Special teams are set with starting quality depth and we have an excellent kicker in Carpenter.

Panic is a strong word to describe our QB situation. If we get mid-level play, we're in the playoffs. However, if we somehow get above average play @ QB, we're SuperBowl contenders.

Edited by It's in My Blood

Agreed about being more comfortable with the line. They improved at the position. As for qb, orton is better than cassel, so they did not improve there. I have no idea as to whether tyrod is any good. We'll see.

I would much, much, much, much prefer Cassel with Roman, Kromer and Rex and an entire off season and training camp, to Orton and Marrone and Hackett and no off season. It's not even close.

I'm hoping that Tyrod can somehow come through and take the starting spot. I just watched NFL Rewind of the final regular season game of 2012 where the Ravens played the Bengals. This is the only game where Tyrod played for any length of time. I have to say it was a mixed bag but given that he'd hardly played at all before that he wasn't too bad. He definitely has the elusiveness to keep plays alive and to gain yards running. His throws were pretty accurate and had some zip on them. He seemed to mainly lock on his primary receiver early in the game but later on I did notice him looking off safety's and also throwing to his second read. Near the end of the game he had a deep throw to the sideline that was just a little too far outside for the receiver to stay in bounds. But the distance was perfect. There were also a couple dropped interceptions and one pick six where the lineman made a nice play jumping and batting the ball up to himself (EJ can relate). But overall he looked like given the right game plan he could at least be a game manager while having the ability to occasionaly throw deep to keep defenses honest. It was only one game but I thought he at least showed some potential. From the little I saw of him I would put him a bit above EJ mainly because his passes looked more accurate.

All that said, I have a feeling that Cassel will be the starter possibly with Tyrod thrown in there once in a while just to change things up (similar to wildcat).

Must be a slow news day at SI. We don't have the ideal QB situation, but it's a far cry from panic inducing. Especially with the added talent at the skill positions and Greg Roman.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope they panic by running the ball.

This. IMHO the real questionmarks/potential hole is the OL. As long as we have a good run-blocking line, adequate pass protection, and a mediocre QB who can sling it occasionally, we should be good.

...Wake me when camp opens.

So like, why are you right here, right now? Isn't there somewhere you'd rather be?