SI says Bills are a team in "panic mode" w/ QB roster hole

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article isn't discussing the team as a whole. It is addressing the QB position specifically.

The Bills have indeed improved themselves all over the field, but arguably, not at the QB position.

So drafting a mid-low round QB is better than signing a QB with four years on an NFL roster? To me it's the same gamble. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I see Cassell as the vet backup and mentor and I expect that the Bills would really rather like one of EJ and Taylor to step up and show enuf in preseason to begin the year as the confirmed starter.

Right now I'd say it boils down to which of the two shows he can best throw the football. They both have a lot to prove in that regard.

If neither one shows up Cassell will be the starter. Pretty straightforward IMO.

Heck, why don't we just merge all the threads in the future since with thread drift they all trend towards discussing the same topics?

I think if EJ had the balls deflates to below regulation PSI the likelihood for an empire sports network would be a sure thing.

Slow off-season article. Financial facts being what they are, we can't afford a top notch QB without losing a couple great pieces already in place. The Felton/Shady attack, improved OL play and a plethora of receiving talents should make any serviceable QB look good. Especially if we can find helmet radios like the Pats** use..

So drafting a mid-low round QB is better than signing a QB with four years on an NFL roster? To me it's the same gamble.

No one is suggesting that.

The point being made is that our QB situation is in panic mode or at least not looking good. It's actually worst in the league, or close to it.

You are pointing out that there really aren't any better alternatives than what we have at the moment.

I agree with that. Doesn't mean we aren't still in panic mode or that our situation isn't any better than it is.

We're about to find out how far a team with a great defense and skill players all over the field, except at the QB position, can go.

It'll be an interesting experiment.

If the Bills brass aren't incredibly concerned about the QB position as it stands, then they aren't competent enough to have the jobs they've got. There is no point in being in a panic over it, but fixing the QB situation has to be the overriding priority moving forward.

No one is suggesting that.

The point being made is that our QB situation is in panic mode or at least not looking good. It's actually worst in the league, or close to it.

You are pointing out that there really aren't any better alternatives than what we have at the moment.

I agree with that. Doesn't mean we aren't still in panic mode or that our situation isn't any better than it is.

We're about to find out how far a team with a great defense and skill players all over the field, except at the QB position, can go.

It'll be an interesting experiment.

OK Ill bite

As a bit of experiment could you provide the starting QBs for the NFL teams around the league and we can discuss it?

I guess it's better than a busted tie rod.

I watched Tyrod quite a bit in college and the one thing he does is make plays. He's amazing when he gets out of the pocket and has a rocket arm. His accuracy wasn't great and he didn't read the field well but I'll chalk that up to how Beamer used him. Hopefully a few years behind Flacco and some great offensive coaching he's learned something. I really think he starts.

I watched Tyrod quite a bit in college and the one thing he does is make plays. He's amazing when he gets out of the pocket and has a rocket arm. His accuracy wasn't great and he didn't read the field well but I'll chalk that up to how Beamer used him. Hopefully a few years behind Flacco and some great offensive coaching he's learned something. I really think he starts.

how is inaccuracy a result of how he was used? Serious question as I didn't watch him in college.

Arguably, the additions of Cassel and Taylor are an improvement over Orton and Tuel...no?

I certainly think so. Taylor, I think, is ahead of Tuel. Taylor was a star in college while Tuel had trouble holding down the starting job.

And Cassel will have the entire off-season to learn the offensive system and that - if nothing else - should put him ahead of Orton.

Furthermore, the coaching is better this year.