Voluntary Workouts - April 6!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a big day. The players finally get to talk with Rex and Roman. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Hell Id be excited if I heard they were all getting together for coffee at this point.

Told my son this year's going to be different and he came back with the that's what you said the last few years response as well.

@SalSports: #Bills Stephon Gilmore plans on being back in Buffalo this weekend, in time for next week's conditioning sessions after the birth of his son

When asked by reporters if Marrone leaving was the best thing to happen to EJ: "God works in mysterious ways" with a big grin.

wowza

Woods is on now!

Summary:

- A lot of energy in the building, everyone is happy to be back, excited

- Coaching change: How different does it feel? Rex (and his entire staff) has a whole lot of personality, everyone is vibing with him

- What's the O going to look like under Roman? Lotta guys, lotta weapons. Scheme might change week to week.

- How much to you know about Roman? We need to be balance, but we need to be one of the best running teams in the NFL (that's what Rex wants), but Roman knows we also need to spread the ball around...

- QB Position: (on EJ) I think he's going to be the franchise guy. He was doing his job, but the add of Orton helped EJ understand how it's done - last year EJ was calling meetings on days off, etc. at the start of last year. He's struggled just because it's the hardest position in the game! Takes time to get used to. It's just a hard position!

- Weapons on the field: (on Sammy) He'll improve just through experience, getting more consistent every game

- How about you?: Just being ready to go! I know the speed of the game, how D's play things, etc.

- McCoy add (what's he bring that Spiller didn't): Shifty, makes guys miss, catching out of the backfield

- Footballs about change / optimism, what does it feel like in Buffalo? In the locker room?: We added Clay, etc., but you look around and you see guys like McCoy, Clay, Harvin, Freddy, our D - there are PLAYERS all around the locker room. Talked today saying "we can't beat ourselves"

- How did today go: Did some meetings, did a little conditioning test, lifting test, started talking shifts, etc.

- On Rex saying he wants to win and win big, how much does that pump you up: Always does, great to have a coach that believes that this team can win - we have a coach that believes in our players and that we can win. A lot of guys that know how to win.

- How different is the new system (terminology): No real overlap, a little more "pro style" this year. Staff is full of great teachers, so we'll get there!

Overall good stuff - just another reason to get pumped up for the season!!

Edited by Heitz

Woods is on now!

Summary:

- Coaching change: How different does it feel? Rex (and his entire staff) has a whole lot of personality, everyone is vibing with him

- What's the O going to look like under Roman? Lotta guys, lotta weapons. Scheme might change week to week.

- How much to you know about Roman? We need to be balance, but we need to be one of the best running teams in the NFL (that's what Rex wants), but Roman knows we also need to spread the ball around...

- QB Position: (on EJ) I think he's going to be the franchise guy. He was doing his job, but the add of Orton helped EJ understand how it's done - last year EJ was calling meetings on days off, etc. at the start of last year. He's struggled just because it's the hardest position in the game! Takes time to get used to. It's just a hard position!

- Weapons on the field: (on Sammy) He'll improve just through experience, getting more consistent every game

- How about you?: Just being ready to go! I know the speed of the game, how D's play things, etc.

- McCoy add (what's he bring that Spiller didn't): Shifty, makes guys miss, catching out of the backfield

- Footballs about change / optimism, what does it feel like in Buffalo? In the locker room?: We added Clay, etc., but you look around and you see guys like McCoy, Clay, Harvin, Freddy, our D - there are PLAYERS all around the locker room. Talked today saying "we can't beat ourselves"

- How did today go: Did some meetings, did a little conditioning test, lifting test, started talking shifts, etc.

- On Rex saying he wants to win and win big, how much does that pump you up: Always does, great to have a coach that believes that this team can win - we have a coach that believes in our players and that we can win. A lot of guys that know how to win.

- How different is the new system (terminology): No real overlap, a little more "pro style" this year. Staff is full of great teachers, so we'll get there!

So, no word on him getting moved to Center? :bag::blush::wallbash::lol: Edited by Nanker

"A little more pro style"

Whooooa

outside of a lot of shotgun snaps - its an interesting jab, as we were running a pretty basic system. its not like we were running some heavy read option stuff or anything. i likewise initially read it to potentially mean "professional quality design" instead of the traditional "pro style" but that could be my own bias coming in.

outside of a lot of shotgun snaps - its an interesting jab, as we were running a pretty basic system. its not like we were running some heavy read option stuff or anything. i likewise initially read it to potentially mean "professional quality design" instead of the traditional "pro style" but that could be my own bias coming in.

Our scheme had to be a step back for Woods, coming out of USC and the program they run there.

That's been an issue with our coaching staffs Ive had to repeat a number of times over the recent years. I was always embarrassed for the franchise when they'd draft players from major college programs and have them come "up" to the pros but wind up going from playing for Saban, Kelly, Meyer, etc to being coached by guys like George Edwards, Curtis Modkins, Nate Hackett, even Wanny.

If we're not providing better coaches than what these kids had at the lower level, then what the heck are we doin? How can we ever expect them to develop?

Its only recently that Ive felt we've had competent coaches on D, and hope we've now turned that corner on the O staff.

It was interesting, he seemed to be talking specifically about the terminology around the play calls, rather than the calls themselves. Though, I'm guessing they probably go pretty hand-in-hand!

Am I going to be forced to start believing that Hackett and Marrone actually WERE running a pop-gun O?? :D:beer:

Edited by Heitz

It was interesting, he seemed to be talking specifically about the terminology around the play calls, rather than the calls themselves. Though, I'm guessing they probably go pretty hand-in-hand!

Am I going to be forced to start believing that Hackett and Marrone actually WERE running a pop-gun O?? :D:beer:

it was interesting hearing about all the cutting edge packaged option plays we were planning on running. keep things generally simple but build in a few different ways the same look could go from snap to snap. ill admit it is hard to identify from the outside, but it seems like the layers of options never showed up and just left us with incredibly simple. i dont recall hearing any players discuss the concept after the initial big writeups about how exciting it was to have an innovator like hackett scheming them. Edited by NoSaint

Woods is on now!

Well, I'd guess so.

Since, arguably, last year wasnt 'pro style' at all, with a college coach and a college OC. And I'm sure this phrasing wasnt an accident (or, if it was, Freud would be proud).

Its also interesting that Woods, who has only been in the NFL for 2 seasons, can recognize if something is "pro-style." Makes his comment even more of a "diss"

Edited by maddenboy

Well, I'd guess so.

Since, arguably, last year wasnt 'pro style' at all, with a college coach and a college OC. And I'm sure this phrasing wasnt an accident (or, if it was, Freud would be proud).

Its also interesting that Woods, who has only been in the NFL for 2 seasons, can recognize if something is "pro-style." Makes his comment even more of a "diss"

often pro style refers to offenses that are not options, spreads, etc.... essentially meaning traditional nfl formations and routes. where this is interesting is we did not stray terribly far outside of that. it could be as simple as saying we are going to have the qb under center a lot more, with a few little tweaks, but it certainly stands out as a "wait, what?" moment when reading it. id be curious more of the context or a follow up to it. if anything, some of the adventurous stuff the roman does in his scheme would almost stray away from "pro style" despite adding complexity.... which added an extra layer of questioning in how to read and apply it.

Woods is on now!

Summary:

good stuff. Woods is a genuine player.

Well, I know McCoy is going. My buddy was on a flight up from Ft Lauderdale tonight with him.

name dropper....

seriously this will be the second year SJ doesnt attend, after not attending all of the other years he was on the team.

Edited by enlightener

True, I understand that intellectually, but any sign of Bills football in April just takes control of my brain. I suppose there are worse things.

Hey Man !

You are just fine.

Some of us here just dig the whole process leading into the season.

This year there is so much that is new. From our beloved Owners showing they are not pussyfooting around and attempting to save a city , to Whaley going for the the Glory as aggressive as may have seen in many a year i bet!

And then having Rex Ryan. He is a character in his own right.

I truly believe he is serious about " This is It for Me" thinking /mentality. I think he will give 110% for us.

And this time around , it appears the Bills might have truly acquired an NFL O Coordinator in Roman and a proven quantity in Kromer. Thurman, Henderson. This might be the best coaching we have had

and the Players! again, how stacked is this team? even with our two ( only two ) weaknesses. And maybe just maybe the QB and O line play will improve.

just enough..

Geez hell yes i am stoked.

This is the first year in many years i am watching for news. Every Day.

Thank Gosh for you guys and Gals so I can learn something laugh at anther and vent. all in the same day.

GO BILLS!

good stuff. Woods is a genuine player.

absolutely!

I wonder how motivated Boobie will be. :ph34r:

Why wouldn't Boobie be motivated?

Are you perhaps confusing Boobie Dixon with Bryce Brown (that's the guy Rex called out publically)?

When asked by reporters if Marrone leaving was the best thing to happen to EJ: "God works in mysterious ways" with a big grin.

Who said this?

Never mind, I found it. EJ Manuel. It actually was a reasonable answer to a very leading question digging for a good quote:

Q: Would it be fair to say that how things went down when Doug Marrone stepped down might have been the best thing to happen for your career?

A: I don’t know because he’s not here with us anymore. I think God works in mysterious ways and I’m excited with the coach we have now. I think he’s built a great staff around him.

Edited by Hopeful