Vikings FB Jerome Felton -update:Bills signed

YoloinOhio

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have Montana you can innovate in the passing game. When you have Mcmahon you win with Sweetness and D.

And yet, Walsh went after Steve Young and managed to keep that dynasty going well into the 90s after he'd already left.

I'll give Rex time to see if ground and pound combined with a good defense works. If it doesn't, they'll be back to square one looking for a QB, but not before the rookie contracts of Woods and Watkins continue to tick. There's nothing worse than being a 7-9 win team, i.e. stuck in no-man's land. Not bad enough to land a top QB prospect and no good enough to make the post-season.

And yet, Walsh went after Steve Young and managed to keep that dynasty going well into the 90s after he'd already left.

I'll give Rex time to see if ground and pound combined with a good defense works. If it doesn't, they'll be back to square one looking for a QB, but not before the rookie contracts of Woods and Watkins continue to tick. There's nothing worse than being a 7-9 win team, i.e. stuck in no-man's land. Not bad enough to land a top QB prospect and no good enough to make the post-season.

Overall agree. But how many of the top Qbs even went high in the 1st round. Not Brees, Rodgers, Romo, Wilson, Brady, etc.

Mind if I play the pessimist? There's a reason fullbacks are vanishing: they don't carry their weight. Put a fullback on the field, especially one who can't catch like Felton (or so I read here) and an extra linebacker comes on. The box is stacked because there's only three receivers on the field, maybe two, and there's no room for running or short passes, so soon we have third and long with our heroes EJ or Cassel throwing into a blitz or double coverage. Why is everyone so happy?

Courteous answers welcome.

Mind if I play the pessimist? There's a reason fullbacks are vanishing: they don't carry their weight. Put a fullback on the field, especially one who can't catch like Felton (or so I read here) and an extra linebacker comes on. The box is stacked because there's only three receivers on the field, maybe two, and there's no room for running or short passes, so soon we have third and long with our heroes EJ or Cassel throwing into a blitz or double coverage. Why is everyone so happy?

Adrian Peterson had 2,000 yards running behind him. Edited by C.Biscuit97

Because he's one of the best FBs in the league and Roman's offense is predicated on TEs, RBs, & FBs and the Bills will, presumably, be a run heavy team. Reason enough?

What are you proposing- that they trade away all their good players in order to try to get the 1st pick in the draft to find a QB? If so, I argue that the NFL is a lot different than the NHL and NBA.

1. In the NHL/NBA, a true superstar at ANY position can make a team a contender. That is only true in the NFL of ONE position (QB).

2. In the NFL, teams depend on a lot more supporting positions and depth is more important than it is in hockey and hoops.

3. Great QBs are RARE in the NFL draft, even with the 1st overall pick. How many years have no viable NFL starting QBs, much less a great QB that can overcome the weakness in the rest of your roster that let you get the 1st pick in the first place?

I don't know the answer, but how much better is he than Frank "The Tank" Summers"?

That's not an editorial. I don't know enough other than a small amount of stats on him. If anyone has perspective, please add. If we truly get a top Guard, and a difference maker TE, then this could make sense.

I was so disappointed on the Foles trade as an aside. Oh well. We're really rolling with EJ.

You dont have to wait and see, just look at the Seahawks and Niners the past few seasons.

Fair enough, and I respect asking for a courteous answer.

Overall in the league the movement has been to more of a passing game.This is the common trend the league is going, but it requires a dominating passing QB, and there are maybe six of them in the league. If you are not so blessed, you make schemes that make it easier. One way is the spread offense, which we saw make Fitz look like a long term starter for a while with barrel scraping receivers. Other examples are the Chip Kelly system.

Greg Roman's (it's arguable how much of it is his how how much is Harbaugh's) revitalized the deemed bust Alex Smith, and plugged in a 2nd round pick that few had heard of to superstar status by forcing teams to send 8 or 9 men into the box to contain a power run game, leading receivers to be free in 1 on 1 matchups. If you have talented guys like Sammy and Woods (and hopefully an easy dump off TE who can fight off a safety and get 5-10 yards after the catch consistently), you tend to win those matchups. But you still need to run the ball effectively when you have those mismatches with 8 or 9 men in the box.

Good fullbacks, really good fullbacks, when used in creative systems can help a ton. They can not only grind out hard short yardage situations, but they tend to be used in the screen game, and most importantly clear blocks for the superstar speedster running backs. In unglamorous work, and it tends to not get you big paychecks, but if you don't want the RB you are spending $8M a year for to get clobbered, and hit the hole for big yards. If you set up them as primary blockers, you can also fool some teams when they are the main ball carriers to get reliable yardage.

Felton is considered one of the best in the game, and Vikings fans I've heard from say that he was a big component to AP getting his 2,000 yard season.

You dont have to wait and see, just look at the Seahawks and Niners the past few seasons.

Colin Kaepernick circa 2012 and Russell Wilson are head and shoulders better than Matt Cassel.

As for acquiring a QB...well, I'm a firm believer in swimming out to your ship and not waiting for it to come in. But the attitude prevalent on TBD is it's hard to get a top QB and so you've gotta wait. Tell that to an owner.

Colin Kaepernick circa 2012 and Russell Wilson are head and shoulders better than Matt Cassel.

As for acquiring a QB...well, I'm a firm believer in swimming out to your ship and not waiting for it to come in. But the attitude prevalent on TBD is it's hard to get a top QB and so you've gotta wait. Tell that to an owner.

We were discussing the type of teams that can win in the modern NFL, not the merrits of particular QBs. Its funny that you advocate a more agressive approach and then turn around and say that even teams with better QBs than the Bills play conservative schemes. Well, if thats the case, why would you want the Bills to be on the cutting edge with an aggressive passing attack?

Is it 1985 all over again?

I love Ditka, but he was not on the cutting edge 30 years ago. It was Bill Walsh and the passing game, specifically the WCO, that was winning more often. In fact SF beat CHI twice in the playoffs between 1984 and 1988.

It was an underachievement for da Bearsss to only win 1 SB in those years.

I think injuries to the 'qb position caused most of the trouble.

Here's a good video of Felton describing two of his blocking plays for Peterson.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Film-Room-Felton-On-Blocking-For-Peterson/3205e828-a0f4-4025-aed1-ef3acf523d5d

Awesome vid. Great role player. You can tell he takes a lot of enjoyment in successfully executing a well-designed play. Not a lot of glory, but he's content to do his job, blowing up defenders and springing AP. So glad he's one of ours!

FB position is why we failed at the run game this year. Look at the space Frank Summers gave us. When he wasn't used much we didn't run well. That position takes the first hit away from the RB a lot of the time does it not? Good signing.