Would you trade our 2016 1st rd pick for Drew Brees?

Tipster19

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge drop off from the top 3 to Brees. The top 3 have a combined 30 straight seasons of winning football. Below the top 3 the QB can't carry the team all by himself. That said I would offer 3 ones to anyone 4-8, Roethlesberger flacco E manning, Ryan. I'd give 2 ones for rivers and maybe stafford and romo.

There is a huge drop off from the top 3 to Brees. The top 3 have a combined 30 straight seasons of winning football. Below the top 3 the QB can't carry the team all by himself. That said I would offer 3 ones to anyone 4-8, Roethlesberger flacco E manning, Ryan. I'd give 2 ones for rivers and maybe stafford and romo.

I forgot about luck. I would put him in the top 3 making the top 3 really 4. Who have 33 straight combined winning seasons and can carry a team by themselves

I forgot about luck. I would put him in the top 3 making the top 3 really 4. Who have 33 straight combined winning seasons and can carry a team by themselves

What about Luck would have him ahead of Brees?

There have been 8 seasons of 5,000 yards passing in NFL history & 4 of them belong to Brees (probably will have number 5 this year). Brees has more yards & TDs than Brady & is 2 years younger. He is 4th all-time in each of those categories. He is an all-time great & people think that they can flip a future #1 for him? Seriously?!?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

We all realize that we need a QB and that there are so few available. Why do people think that any team would trade any quality QB to Buffalo or any other team. What would they do next? I know it's hard, but when you come up with trades, think about what the other team is left with.

Funny how people say so convincingly that moves are never made. Did anyone here predict Manning playing in Denver? For that manner who would have predicted Brees would have been allowed to walk from San Diego.

I don't think he will be traded and his cap killing contract would follow him wherever he goes.

Not comparable situations. It was clear by half way through his last season there that the Colts were moving on from Manning, so yes at that point I could imagine him in Denver or wherever else. The reason? The Colts were headed for the 1st pick in a draft with a Manning like generational QB talent in Andrew Luck. Likewise in San Diego they had a 2nd overall draft pick on the roster ready to takeover from Brees. Those teams moved guys on because they had genuine back up plans. Even if the Saints felt like Mariota was a generational QB they are not in a position to get him so why move on Brees?

These moves do happen, they happen rarely and in special circumstances. It will not be happening with Drew Brees this offseason.

The Saints are my second favorite team (my wife is from New Orleans), so I follow them, albeit not as closely as the Bills. With that said, I would still say no. The main reason being that I don't think Brees has too much left in the tank (last nights game being an anomaly, as that's the best he's looked all year). I think his surgically repaired shoulder is finally starting to wear down on him. I have seen him underthrow too many balls these last couple years, and giving away a first rounder for him, I believe would be too much. I love Drew Brees, and was a big fan of his coming out of Purdue, but I really do think his body is starting to betray him.

Had you asked me this before the season started, I would've said a resounding he!! yes...

Do you live in NC?

Not comparable situations. It was clear by half way through his last season there that the Colts were moving on from Manning, so yes at that point I could imagine him in Denver or wherever else. The reason? The Colts were headed for the 1st pick in a draft with a Manning like generational QB talent in Andrew Luck. Likewise in San Diego they had a 2nd overall draft pick on the roster ready to takeover from Brees. Those teams moved guys on because they had genuine back up plans. Even if the Saints felt like Mariota was a generational QB they are not in a position to get him so why move on Brees?

These moves do happen, they happen rarely and in special circumstances. It will not be happening with Drew Brees this offseason.

good post

I believe he's leading the league in completion percentage and 2 weeks ago I saw a stat that he was leading the league for the highest rated passer on throws over 20 yards.

He's had some incredibly poorly timed bad throws but he's still playing pretty good ball

Add in gallettes contract having the same bonus structure as Byrd to clear space in 15.... there's a plan, and it's clearly not trading brees

I agree that he's still an elite quarterback in this league, without question. It's surprising to hear that he's leading the league in completion percentage as well as in throws over 20 yards, but not a huge shock. matter of fact that's one of the main things I love about Brees is his pinpoint accuracy and his delicious touch on the intermediate and (used to be) deep ball. It seemed like a couple years ago, every time he reared back and let that thing fly long, you almost always assumed the catch. Again, it just seems like the last year or two, he is beginning to routinely underthrow his receivers on the deep ball. With that said, Monday nights game alone the man looked 158.3 to me.

Do you live in NC?

I used to live in Charlotte right after college. Left in 2004....

I think Brees, Brady and P Manning have all looked poor at times this year and all are on the downside of their respective HoF careers -- BUT, and this is a HUUUGGGEEE BUT, they are all still playing in the Top 5 of QB's in the NFL !!

Top 5 (in no particular order): Brees, Brady, P Manning, Rodgers, Luck

What Brees, Brady and P Manning lack in physical skills as they age, they make up with football IQ, each knowing their respective offenses and other team's defenses better than most OC's and most DC's ---

I do disagree with Kirby in that there isn't a 0.0% chance Brees would be traded (strange things can happen), so, let's say it's 0.1%

So, there is a better chance EJ becomes a franchise QB, since that's at 0.2%, so, let's work on that plan first since it's twice as likely to happen ;-)

lets see, you want to bring a QB here who has had the majority of his success in a dome, put the spray can down and take long deep breaths, because your mind is clouded, next thing you know you will want to sign Deadsole to free agent contact, again take deep breaths in and out

Yes i would. Provided we had an OC who knew how to use Brees w Sammy and CJ and Woods.

Right now i think if the Bills had any QB back there Marrone and Hackett would ruin him.

I think the next OC if Hackett goes-- should have to show pays specifically for Sammy and CJ. That would be my interview. Maybe sprinkle in a question or 2 in about his views on the QB situation.

As a matter of fact I would probably just give him a smart board and just say wow me.

Not Roethlisberger? He's a top 5 QB in my opinion.

First, no but Big Ben-- now that you mention him. I WISH!!!

He slipped my mind. I hate him. But yes. I'd trade a 1 for him and move my wife and daughter into protective custody

Lol damn man that was cold

Drew Brees

in addition to the #1 pick:

2015 Cap hit $26.4 mil ($14.8 DEAD)

2016 Cap hit $27.4 mil ($7.4 DEAD)

THAT'S CRAZY !!! .....and I would still do it.

You numbers guys block my mind. I give you all credit

Drew Brees

in addition to the #1 pick:

2015 Cap hit $26.4 mil ($14.8 DEAD)

2016 Cap hit $27.4 mil ($7.4 DEAD)

THAT'S CRAZY !!! .....and I would still do it.

You numbers guys blow my mind. I give you all credit

Why do we have these silly trade scenarios when Hell will freeze over before any team let's their franchise QB go. Not even Cincy would give up Dalton because front office's know it is so hard to fill the QB position. So many misses by many teams.

You only get the Brees deal from SD, Manning to the Broncos, or even Alex Smith to KC as a rarity. It just doesn't happen. If you want to discuss something that absolutely would never happen, fine, but it is based in fantasy.

Bottom line is we're stuck with Orton, and hopefully we find some diamond in the rough in the 2nd or later rounds for a QB in the draft.

Trade a first round pick for a late-career Drew B? What could possibly go wrong?

What about Luck would have him ahead of Brees?

There have been 8 seasons of 5,000 yards passing in NFL history & 4 of them belong to Brees (probably will have number 5 this year). Brees has more yards & TDs than Brady & is 2 years younger. He is 4th all-time in each of those categories. He is an all-time great & people think that they can flip a future #1 for him? Seriously?!?

Past performance is not a predictor of future performance, especially when you're talking about a guy for whom arm strength is not his forte, suddenly playing in Buffalo instead of a dome 8x a year.

I wouldn't do this. And I think Brees is amazing.

Trade a first round pick for a late-career Drew B? What could possibly go wrong?

Past performance is not a predictor of future performance, especially when you're talking about a guy for whom arm strength is not his forte, suddenly playing in Buffalo instead of a dome 8x a year.

I wouldn't do this. And I think Brees is amazing.

I'm not even talking about past performance. There is a very good chance that he has his 4th straight 5,000 yard season (keep in mind Brees holds 4 of the 8 seasons like that already) this year and somewhere between 35-40 TDs and a QB rating above his career average. Again, because the Saints are bad everyone thinks that it has to do with his regression -it doesn't. I've seen every game that the guy has played since '07 and he has a few good years left. He made a few mistakes early in the season in terms picks but he is still a top 5 QB at worst.

One thing that I keep seeing come up here is the name Bledsoe. Bledsoe on his best day had nowhere near the career that Brees has had. He will end up statistically ahead of Marino with at least 1 Super Bowl. We aren't talkng about a pretty good Pro Bowl type QB. We are talking about someone who has had a career that ranks up there with anyone ever. I know that Bills fans don't see a ton of Brees with him being in the NFC South and maybe that has skewed people's opinions.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'm not even talking about past performance. There is a very good chance that he has his 4th straight 5,000 yard season (keep in mind Brees holds 4 of the 8 seasons like that already) this year and somewhere between 35-40 TDs and a QB rating above his career average. Again, because the Saints are bad everyone thinks that it has to do with his regression -it doesn't. I've seen every game that the guy has played since '07 and he has a few good years left. He made a few mistakes early in the season in terms picks but he is still a top 5 QB at worst.

One thing that I keep seeing come up here is the name Bledsoe. Bledsoe on his best day had nowhere near the career that Brees has had. He will end up statistically ahead of Marino with at least 1 Super Bowl. We aren't talkng about a pretty good Pro Bowl type QB. We are talking about someone who has had a career that ranks up there with anyone ever. I know that Bills fans don't see a ton of Brees with him being in the NFC South and maybe that has skewed people's opinions.

right - we got bledsoe after he lost his job coming of a 59% 6.2 YPA, 17 td 13 INT season. even drews big season in buffalo wasnt THAT great. he was a good, productive player -- but i think part of the issue was the expectations for a productive qb skyrocketed at the same time his ability declined.

brees right now year to date is at 70% completions, 7.59 ypa, 31 TDs and 12 ints.

hes just had a few at terrible times, or end up in long returns that have ended up getting himself a lot of negative highlights despite a very productive season. his rating is 100+ and QBR 74 (6th in the league, only .1 outside the top 5).

espn has some other weird stats i just saw with regards to qb value and points added above replacement, and EPA and stuff and hes top 3 in all that this year.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess one of my biggest points is that he has looked pretty human if not abysmal at times, on the road. I don't think that's just the rah-rah crowd action helping him out. He plays far better in a dome, and Buffalo ain't getting one during his career timeline. And to boot, Buffalo weather is not going to be kind to an older man's arm. We saw how Brady and Manning played come winter last season, and they certainly looked closer to ordinary.

None of this takes away from the fact that he is having an all-time great career, I just think Buffalo is not a place that would play to his strengths, as a location. I'd be happy to be wrong and he would be a huge upgrade over what we have, but as you say, the point is a bit moot.

If you have watched most of the games for the past number of years you realize how special he is. When ranking him the issue isn't whether he is all-pro or not it is whether he is in the top five qbs in the modern era. His accuracy is impeccable. But what makes him special is his ability to make quick reads and almost instantly go through his progressions. The qb I compare him to who was able to do it at such a fast pace and respond with precise passing is Kurt Warner. Warner did not have the extended elite career but during his prime he was as good a qb as any, including Peyton and Brady.

Would I give up a first round pick for him? Absolutely. Normally I would be hesitant to use a high draft pick on an elite qb who is in the declining stage of his career. But even if he was on a downward trajectory he would still be a very good qb with a team that now has a great defense. In this era of playover turnover due to the cap and contract system I would have no problem of going for the gold.

When you get a Brees you get someone who is a training fanatic. He is the opposite of Orton who did no training while contemplating retiring. The Bills traded away a first pick to move up four spots to select Watkins. The selection of that elite receiver has been wasted because the qb is a flaccid player who can't get him the ball. With a Brees type qb playing behind a below average line its performance is instantly elevated because he quickly gets rid of the ball and he smartly and instincly moves around in the pocket to avoid the pressure and keep the play alive. The running game is improved because the defense can't stack the line because a credible passing game exists. A Brees type qb, even a diminished Brees, elevates every aspect of our offense. Compare that to Orton who diminishes every aspect of the offense because of his gross ineptitude.

After watching the putrid play of Orton I would do anything to acquire a respectable qb. Brees at the tail end of his career, even at a diminished state, would still be a breath of fresh air and give the battered fan base an opportunity to watch football games with a pro .level of offensive play.

I'll repeat it again and again if Orton is brought back to start next season the front office en masse should be fired for malfeasance. This season with its realistic playoff hopes has been squandered because the organization wasn't capable of finding a below average starting qb to match its terrific defense. What a shame!

I guess one of my biggest points is that he has looked pretty human if not abysmal at times, on the road. I don't think that's just the rah-rah crowd action helping him out. He plays far better in a dome, and Buffalo ain't getting one during his career timeline. And to boot, Buffalo weather is not going to be kind to an older man's arm. We saw how Brady and Manning played come winter last season, and they certainly looked closer to ordinary.

None of this takes away from the fact that he is having an all-time great career, I just think Buffalo is not a place that would play to his strengths, as a location. I'd be happy to be wrong and he would be a huge upgrade over what we have, but as you say, the point is a bit moot.

i think thats a fair concern. not only does he have 8 home games in a dome, but also @atlanta, and every nfc division has atleast 1 dome team so hes often playing 10+ indoors.

that said, hes actually sporting a higher completion percentage, a full yard per attempt more, and a better TD:INT ratio on the road this year. certainly not the norm, as there has been a drop the last few years but with a qb rating of 84 on the road last year, 90.1 the year before, 100.7 the year before, 91.8 (and better road than home) and 98.1 dating back to the super bowl. With 106.6 on the road this year. its not a greatly meaningful stat, but i think those numbers would surprise many given the saints road reputation.

in his 5 games under 32 degrees (lifted these stats from an article that popped up pre-philly playoff game last year as i was curious) 61 percent, 260.8 yards per game, 10 touchdowns and six interceptions. the philly stats arent wildly out of line to add and how often would he play in the elements?

of course, its not happening - but i think its an interesting chat on a player ive obviously gotten to follow pretty closely

I'm a bit split on it. He's better than what we have, but it could also cause us to lose out on a franchise player... hm.

I think the argument is that he can be a franchise player for 3 years at min.

If you were going to get 3 years of elite performance from a first round pick, guaranteed, you should take that option even if it doesn't yield dividends over 10 years. You can hardly project over 5 years for a draft pick given FA.

The question would likely be, how much more than a first-rounder would it take, to get Brees. It simply ain't happening. That REALLY only happens when the well-regarded, groomed replacement is in waiting or even finding some onfield success.

That's not true at all this year. The Saints have been way, way better on the road than at home.

I'm a bit split on it. He's better than what we have, but it could also cause us to lose out on a franchise player... hm.

in a heartbeat youd trade a late 20s pick that is a 4 year contract with a question mark for a guy thats a pretty good slam dunk to play very well at the most important position for 3 years.

the problem is the saints would have no reason to do it.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess what I am struggling with is why people don't think that you could get 3 good years out of him? We would absolutely win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years of he was the QB. Brees is 2 years younger than Brady (and has more yards & Tds in his career). He may have his 4th straight 5,000 yard season and will have 35+ TDs. What is the hesitation?!? Just for some perspective Ben Roethlisberger has already surpassed his career best season with 4,400 yards and 29 TDs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's not true at all this year. The Saints have been way, way better on the road than at home.

Other than the Carolina and Cincy games, they've been pretty competitive at home. But I digress. In one season I think it's harder to evaluate. Especially one where you play the likes of Tampa and a broken Chicago team on the road. Their reverse-split against Carolina is also strange.

I guess what I am struggling with is why people don't think that you could get 3 God years out of him? We would absolutely win a Super Bowl in the next 3 years of he was the QB. Brees is 2 years younger than Brady (and has more yards & Tds in his career). He may have his 4th straight 5,000 yard season and will have 35+ TDs. What is the hesitation?!? Just for some perspective Ben Roethlisberger has already surpassed his career best season with 4,400 yards and 29 TDs.

I like Brees, but God is a bit much. Although it might take that to get the Bills a Super Bowl win. :P

Other than the Carolina and Cincy games, they've been pretty competitive at home. But I digress. In one season I think it's harder to evaluate. Especially one where you play the likes of Tampa and a broken Chicago team on the road. Their reverse-split against Carolina is also strange.

I like Brees, but God is a bit much. Although it might take that to get the Bills a Super Bowl win. :P

They also lost at home to a pretty good Baltimore team and a bad SF team. They have lost 4 straight home games and are 3-4 in the dome. It doesn't make a ton of sense but they have been bad there.

Ha ha, whoops. Obviously the Saints would laugh in your face if you called to ask for Brees so it's a meaningless conversation. It is the easiest of no brainers though. This is Manning to Denver minus the neck injury. I actually think that Brees is the same age now as when Peyton went to Denver. The Bills team is way better than what he walked into in Denver (they have since improved).

in a heartbeat youd trade a late 20s pick that is a 4 year contract with a question mark for a guy thats a pretty good slam dunk to play very well at the most important position for 3 years.

the problem is the saints would have no reason to do it.

They have lots of reasons to do it.

1) According to sources within NO, he is showing signs of aging with decreased arm strength, etc. and that they believe he has cost them a couple games this year with timely interceptions. In other words, they believe he is on the decline.

2) NO is believed to be aiming to go after a QB in the draft early on.

3) They are significantly over the cap and keeping Brees is a big reason for that.

4) They may make the calculation that NO doesn't have a realistic opportunity to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years and just decide to rebuild.

It's ok if you don't believe that they won't trade him but to say that NO reason has No reason to do so is inaccurate.