Would you trade our 2016 1st rd pick for Drew Brees?

Tipster19

Yes. I absolutely would.

I would also trade it for Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Flacco, Ryan, Luck, Wilson and Eli Manning

That's about it. Any one of those would immediately make us a playoff team and superbowl contender.

Not Roethlisberger? He's a top 5 QB in my opinion.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you realize that the Saints have 7 current players that account for approximately 95 M towards the 2016 salary cap. Next year's cap is projected to be around 140 M, which Brees (26.4 M) and Byrd (10.5) are coming off of fresh deal. Granted a lot of these contracts will get restructured, they have to, but to say that they have a wee bit of a problem would be a huge understatement. Keep in mind that there has been some rumblings since their Super Bowl victory that Payton is looking to fly the coop.

Needless to say that in the aftermath of this season's play at QB that Buffalo should be more than willing to pay a pretty penny for the quality of QB that Brees is. Everything has a price and this could solve some serious problems for the Saints' organization. It doesn't hurt that Marrone was the OC the first 3 years that Brees was there so I wouldn't expect Marrone to object to this type of trade. I say trade 1 Boilmamer QB for another!

I probably know the Saints cap situation as well as anyone here not named NoSaint.

What you guys fail to understand is that Brees is viewed here like Kelly in Buffalo. He is the greatest player in franchise history and still playing at a high level. There would be 52 other guys on that roster that would be made available before Brees.

In terms of the cap you can count on Colston being available, I'd suspect 1 of the guards, Ingram will be allowed to hit the market and they will restructure bonus money to defer cap hits (like they did with Byrd). Brees is as likely to hit the market as Brady (maybe less likely because their QB of the future isn't on the roster).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

For the 87,000,000th time Brees isn't on the market!! They have no intent of blowing it up in NOLA.

I wouldn't be so sure about that for a number of reasons. There are already reports of NOLA looking towards "life after Brees". They are rumored to be looking to draft a QB high in the draft to replace him. Two, they take a huge cap hit if they keep him on the books next year. Three, they believe that Brees is already showing signs of him aging with decreased arm strength, etc. And lastly, they may just make the calculation that they don't really have a shot at winning a super bowl in the next year or so and just decide to rebuild.

They would be nuts to not entertain any trade offers.

I believe that if the right deal comes along they'd ship him. And yes, I'd trade a 2016 #1 and 2015 #3.

I wouldn't be so sure about that for a number of reasons. There are already reports of NOLA looking towards "life after Brees". They are rumored to be looking to draft a QB high in the draft to replace him. Two, they take a huge cap hit if they keep him on the books next year. Three, they believe that Brees is already showing signs of him aging with decreased arm strength, etc. And lastly, they may just make the calculation that they don't really have a shot at winning a super bowl in the next year or so and just decide to rebuild.

They would be nuts to not entertain any trade offers.

I believe that if the right deal comes along they'd ship him. And yes, I'd trade a 2016 #1 and 2015 #3.

That is correct that they do want to acquire a young QB (like NE did with Garoppolo and Mallet before him). They are not planning on getting rid of Brees. There's still a good chance that he throws for 5,000 yards and almost 40 TDs. His rating this year is actually above his career average. Don't get it twisted the Saints are not good because they can't cover or tackle and lack explosive playmakers.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble but it ain't happening.

First and foremost, my biggest pet peeve is threads about trades that are never going to happen. That being said, anyone who says no clearly just doesn't get it. Yes it would be more ideal to draft our own franchise QB but as we've discovered it's just too much of a crapshoot. Say we draft Bryce Petty this offseason and he ends up sucking too. Then we spin our wheels for another season or two and waste yet another season from a defense that is absolutely going to be elite for the next few years. At this point I would gladly exchange 2-3 years of reaching the playoffs for the chance at a 22 year old future franchise QB, which I just don't see falling in our lap.

First and foremost, my biggest pet peeve is threads about trades that are never going to happen. That being said, anyone who says no clearly just doesn't get it. Yes it would be more ideal to draft our own franchise QB but as we've discovered it's just too much of a crapshoot. Say we draft Bryce Petty this offseason and he ends up sucking too. Then we spin our wheels for another season or two and waste yet another season from a defense that is absolutely going to be elite for the next few years. At this point I would gladly exchange 2-3 years of reaching the playoffs for the chance at a 22 year old future franchise QB, which I just don't see falling in our lap.

Ha ha, like we are in position to turn down a trade for a QB coming off of a 5,000 yard season. And to your 1st point there are LOTS of teams out there looking to spin a 5,000 yard QB for a future #1.

The Saints are my second favorite team (my wife is from New Orleans), so I follow them, albeit not as closely as the Bills. With that said, I would still say no. The main reason being that I don't think Brees has too much left in the tank (last nights game being an anomaly, as that's the best he's looked all year). I think his surgically repaired shoulder is finally starting to wear down on him. I have seen him underthrow too many balls these last couple years, and giving away a first rounder for him, I believe would be too much. I love Drew Brees, and was a big fan of his coming out of Purdue, but I really do think his body is starting to betray him.

Had you asked me this before the season started, I would've said a resounding he!! yes...

I believe he's leading the league in completion percentage and 2 weeks ago I saw a stat that he was leading the league for the highest rated passer on throws over 20 yards.

He's had some incredibly poorly timed bad throws but he's still playing pretty good ball

I probably know the Saints cap situation as well as anyone here not named NoSaint.

What you guys fail to understand is that Brees is viewed here like Kelly in Buffalo. He is the greatest player in franchise history and still playing at a high level. There would be 52 other guys on that roster that would be made available before Brees.

In terms of the cap you can count on Colston being available, I'd suspect 1 of the guards, Ingram will be allowed to hit the market and they will restructure bonus money to defer cap hits (like they did with Byrd). Brees is as likely to hit the market as Brady (maybe less likely because their QB of the future isn't on the roster).

Add in gallettes contract having the same bonus structure as Byrd to clear space in 15.... there's a plan, and it's clearly not trading brees

Add in gallettes contract having the same bonus structure as Byrd to clear space in 15.... there's a plan, and it's clearly not trading brees

You don't think that they'd take a mid 1st rounder in 2016 for him?

Thank you!!! I couldn't find it. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Funny how people say so convincingly that moves are never made. Did anyone here predict Manning playing in Denver? For that manner who would have predicted Brees would have been allowed to walk from San Diego.

I don't think he will be traded and his cap killing contract would follow him wherever he goes.

I think the only QB that could be moved would be Flacco. I think the conventional wisdom is he really is average with a cannon and a great team around him. I think Baltimore overpaid and I bet given truth serum that Ozzie thinks he could win with a less expensive option at QB. I would take Flacco over Orton any day but his contract would kill any hopes of keeping two of these three - Glenn, Hughes, and Dareus.

No. It will get us maybe 2 years of QB play. We are the fans of the team that traded away a first for Drew Bledsoe, watched him play QB for 1 good season, and then become a shell of the player he was. It's not worth investing picks, that should be used to build for the future, on guys who are on their way out of the league.