Would you trade our 2016 1st rd pick for Drew Brees?

Tipster19

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two first rounders and a second for a 35 year old QB? Are you out of your mind?

We have an elite defense that by the time any QB develops they will be long gone.

The Saints are crumbling and may be willing to trade Brees so they can rebuild and given his age he probably only has a few yrs left which is all we need to contend for the Superbowl.

I really hate hate trading 1st round picks but considering how many are busts anyway, I'd rather have a proven commodity that can take us all the way, than a "we-hope-so" rookie.

I would trade our 2nd this year, 1st pick in the 2016 and 2017 to get him.

And by the time he retires we can rebuild when we get 1st rd picks again.

We also need to get better Olinemen for the running game and TE for Brees and we would have serious shot at a Superbowl.

That's my point. At least we know that we got a proven QB instead of hoping a guy will work out.

Why in the world would New Orleans trade away their franchise QB who still plays like a franchise QB? Yes he's getting up there in age, but so what. The guy looks to have at least three good years left.

Trading him away would be considered the dumbest move ever in NFL history. This thread is totally nonsensical to me.

We have an elite defense that by the time any QB develops they will be long gone.

The Saints are crumbling and may be willing to trade Brees so they can rebuild and given his age he probably only has a few yrs left which is all we need to contend for the Superbowl.

I really hate hate trading 1st round picks but considering how many are busts anyway, I'd rather have a proven commodity that can take us all the way, than a "we-hope-so" rookie.

We also need to get better Olinemen for the running game and TE for Brees and we would have serious shot at a Superbowl.

Glad you are not GM.

I'd make the move if I were running the Bills. And I'd make the move if I were running the Saints. Maybe, that's why I'm not running either team.

The Bills would instantly be serious contenders going into next season. Legit.

Brees is up there in age and is on team that is deteriorating steadily and rapidly, moving into what will need to be a rebuild mode. An extra 1st would be helpful. The Saints won't be contenders again in the few years Brees' has left.

Edited by scribo

Since this had talk of the saints cap situation, i figured id share this here -- discussion from one of their boards. including getting under the cap without cutting a single player:

Step 1- Convert Roster Bonuses into Signing Bonuses

Converting Galette($10 mil), Byrd($4.8 mil), Graham($3.3 mil), and Lofton's($3 mil) roster bonuses into signing bonuses saves us about $21.1 mil. We are now under the cap.

then some cut options that get you to signing all the rookies, and having a free agent class

Step 2- Cut Some Fat

Here we will cut Evans($6 mil), Bunkley($2.9 mil), and Hawthorne($3 mil). This saves us $11.9 mil.

We can also consider Colston($4.3 mil), Grubbs($3.6 mil), and Lofton($4 mil) here. They are less cost effective as the others(more dead money), and are arguably more valuable than the other 3 also. We would be better served by getting them to take pay cuts or shifting their money around.

i think sub evans for colston in step 2 and you are pretty close to what is seen.

Since this had talk of the saints cap situation, i figured id share this here -- discussion from one of their boards. including getting under the cap without cutting a single player:

then some cut options that get you to signing all the rookies, and having a free agent class

i think sub evans for colston in step 2 and you are pretty close to what is seen.

Wait a minute I thought that they were going to just trade Brees because they were in cap trouble? He had a terrible year anyways. I bet I you called and offered a 2nd they'd jump at it. If you can get a 2nd for a 5,000 yard QB and you have those cap issues you've got to jump at it.

Wait a minute I thought that they were going to just trade Brees because they were in cap trouble? He had a terrible year anyways. I bet I you called and offered a 2nd they'd jump at it. If you can get a 2nd for a 5,000 yard QB and you have those cap issues you've got to jump at it.

Especially when a move like this would make us Super Bowl contenders. Is there a better pick than #60-64?

Obviously the Bills would do it. 2015 2nd and 3rd. 2016 1st. Or almost whatever it takes from a Bills perspective.

For the Saints, you could sort of make an argument that they should consider it. They suck in pretty much the suckiest division in the NFL. He's a huge cap committment. The issue I see (other than the fact that they would be trading away a franchise QB) is who takes his place?

If the saints had a young guy they are grooming, I'd say maybe they'd consider it. But I don't think they do. So I can't see how they could trade Brees away.