Would you trade our 2016 1st rd pick for Drew Brees?

Tipster19

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt but good cap management can make that a non issue. NoSaint talked about it up thread in regards to NOLA. There are LOTS of ways to creatively operate the cap while your window is open.

It's a moot point though in regards to Brees. He's not going anywhere. It could be relevant however if talking about someone like Cutler.

Loomis (GM) recently stated that he thinks this year is far easier than last and last he signed one of the biggest FAs, to put in perspective.....teams are expecting the cap to jump 15m in 2016 and the saints are simply one of the teams most aggressively spending in anticipation of shifting the hit down the line

not her best look,

my wife watches that show every day so I see plenty of it and got to admit it's pretty funny and have become somewhat attached to the characters. All I know is Amy and Sheldon better have "coitus" before the series ends or there will be a real big bang coming from the fans.

A friend of mine works on that show. They're filming a new season now, and have already bought next season. Sheldon and Amy have time.

Q: How do the Saints get under the cap when they are more than $20M over?? They're not going to extend his contract to keep paying him $15M+ when he's 35 yrs old.

A: A few different ways. But whatever they do it's going to significantly weaken they're roster. Do they then pay Brees $15M+ per season with an even weaker roster than last year's team that was lucky to win 6 game??

They're choice will be:

1. Keep Brees at $15M+ and cut 5-6 significant players (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because they might have Brees, but then they would be too weak at other positions to compete for a playoff spot).

2. Trade or release Brees plus cut 1-2 others. This might sense to them if they can get something for Brees while also ridding themselves of his huge salary.

Cap hell is, well, hell.

This is exactly how I see this situation the Saints might be quietly shopping Brees. But no way does he get cut. I think it's gonna take a couple of first round picks and maybe EJ to even get them interested.

People who are fans of a team that might be a top QB away from being a championship contender wouldn't trade one future draft pick for a top QB? :blink:

The knee-jerk "no" responses on this board have reached a comical level.

Maybe they're afraid to lose the security they have in being fully invested in losing for so long. In short - they're afraid of winning.

Q: How do the Saints get under the cap when they are more than $20M over?? They're not going to extend his contract to keep paying him $15M+ when he's 35 yrs old.

A: A few different ways. But whatever they do it's going to significantly weaken they're roster. Do they then pay Brees $15M+ per season with an even weaker roster than last year's team that was lucky to win 6 game??

They're choice will be:

1. Keep Brees at $15M+ and cut 5-6 significant players (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because they might have Brees, but then they would be too weak at other positions to compete for a playoff spot).

2. Trade or release Brees plus cut 1-2 others. This might sense to them if they can get something for Brees while also ridding themselves of his huge salary.

Cap hell is, well, hell.

That isn't the case though. They MAY decide to cut some players (Grubbs, Evans, Bunkley, Hawthorne and/or Colston). They don't have to release any of them to get there but they may want some added flexibility. They really just need to convert some bonuses.

As someone that follows them pretty closely being here it's laughable to think that Brees becomes available. This is without even factoring in the court of public opinion in the midst of the fight for the franchise. It wouldn't be a good look for Tom with Rita & co. already questioning his sanity.

Edited by Kirby Jackson