Is the NFL rigged??

Nasty

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walt Coleman. That should be all I have to say for anyone paying attention. This guy's crew simply screws the Bills. The bad ball placement, the ridiculous PI, are completely consistent with this referee's behavior, going back to the time when Ralph Wilson tried to get the league not to assign him to any more Bills games. Coleman was the ref for the infamous "Just give it to 'em" game against the Pats, where Bledsoe (yes it goes back this far) led completed a pass at least two yards short of a first down on a critical drive, and they moved the ball ahead so they could win.

Coleman could not be a difference maker if the Bills were a complete team, but they have gaping holes in a couple of spots, and it killed them last night. Wasting this defense (although I think this was Schwartz's weakest game) due to a pop-gun offense behind a rag tag O line, is an insult. Kiss Jerry Hughes goodbye. He can get a boatload of money AND play for a contender next year.

Don't forget the hail mary pass interference call that followed placing the ball at the Bills 1. And I'll continue to hold Wade in high esteem for taking his team to the locker room in protest after NE scored the gift TD to win the game. The only extra point play I've seen in NFL history where there was no defense on the field. I remember the pricks had the stones to go for two there!

If the NFL is fixed, then the Browns win the Super Bowl this season. Exactly 50 years ago the Browns won their last championship. No other major Cleveland sports team has won one since. (Sorry Crunch, that single indoor soccer championship doesn't count.) Now they are QBed by native Clevelander Brian Hoyer. It couldn't be teed up better for drama and heartwarming stories. The Jerome Bettis going home to Detroit to win a Super Bowl in his last game before retiring would pale in comparison. As a native Clevelander I hope this happens.

its obviously rigged. From the bledsoe "just give it to him" game to the PI last night. Its not an organized on paper thing. More like an unsaid rule. Every other game we lose or nearly lose is because of these calls swinging the game. They are no different than turnovers and greatly affect outcomes. How many flags have the refs picked up on us this year? How many drives of ours stalled but we get a bogus call on third to to help us out? How about that head pat the other day? how about the unsportsmanlike last night? There are 3-4 in a game sometimes!

im tired of feeling like we have to beat the refs...or being more mad at the refs than i am at hackett

I think the refs know that whenever they can call something marginal on a crap team to go ahead and do it. I think when there are 2 crap teams, they huddle and say..."now which of these crap teams are we supposed to help again?" and the head ref says," i think buffalos looking pretty good this year so lets pick up that flag we threw on the other guy"

They never seem to call these penalties on the niners, pats, broncos or colts etc

Edited by enlightener

Yes it's rigged. It's funny you asked because I put up this post on FB and will share it here.

Under the "leadership" of Roger Goodell the NFL has become almost unbearable to watch. I'm beyond frustrated. The game is fixed. It's become like real life where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. He has his 5 or 6 darling teams and sees to it they win. Over the years he has taken the fun away from the game by penalizing celebrations. Whether it be a TD or any other big play, such as a sack or anything else. He has made a mockery out of the rule book to the point where I don't know what a catch is anymore. It's okay for the ball to hit the ground as long as you maintain control but who decides if they maintained control in the first place? I've seen it called both ways. He has way too many gray areas in his rules that help him and his cronies fix the game that I love. Pass interference has become a call you can call whenever you want. It's sickening. He also destroyed evidence against the Patriots. What was the point of that? What is he hiding? When is a hit a clean hit? I've seen that called whatever way they want it. Thursday Night Football is a disaster. He doesn't give a !@#$ because it brings great ratings, but it sucks. You're selling your fans a tainted product on those days. You say you care about the health of your players yet you don't give them sufficient time to heal and rest for the next game. Now he wants a team in London. What a joke. $&@* you, Roger. Nobody likes you. That's why you get booed every draft on every pick you announce. I hope your plane crashes, $&@#%. Rant over.

i don't think it's rigged, but officials tilt games every weekend. bills-pats, two non-exstent offensive penalties on a critical drive late in the game with the Bills still in it (I long for the days when we were still in it). pats take over at the 10, facing 3rd and long, brady completes to edleman and the replay shows him pushing off the defender, offical in the screen shot. hughes unsportsmanlike conduct call for hitting his own player, 15 biggies. draws the flag last night for bumping the official while apparently jawing with the fins player--and that's fine, except when in context with tamba hali lifting lee smith out of his shorts, and hogan getting popped 3 yards out of bounds, you really have to wonder what the rule is looking to accomplish. the pass int call last night was huge--a game changing, momentum changing play that Simms correctly called the officials out on. The grounding call--I'd bet that call is made 50% of the time, against teams like Oakland, the Jags and the Bills, and not called the other 50% of the time, with teams like NE, Denver, Green Bay and NO.

the entire world knew and understood that seattle was playing very aggressive football last year and pretty much daring the officials to flag them, yet more often than not, they were not flagged and it paid off. that's fine...but it's certainly does not refelct positively on the quality of officiating when other teams in other games were called closer to the letter of the law.

when you're good enough to win, the sliding scale of quality officiating is irrelevant until it jabs you in the eye at a critical point in the game or season. it's why the nfl comes out on certain plays and acknowledges a mistake was made. it doesn't change the fact with all the money dumped into the g-d league, all the money changing hands day-in, day-out, that they can't get this critical part of the game fixed. i understand the game involves large guys running at high speed and crashing into one and other and it's not an easy job--but they are not getting paid minimum wage to flip burgers at the local Henry's Hamburgers.

I think any discussion that starts with "the officiating is bad, but _______" is a waste of time. fix the problem. put consistency back in the mix.

then again, i'm sure Walt Coleman was a great official back when Ike was in office.

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

Not sure if you ever watch WWE, personally not my style, but millions did and do, why? They know

that is rigged to, same thing with dancing with the stars and Idol. You watch for the entertainment

value. Sadly that is all the NFL currently is, entertainment, and somewhat, or maybe even outright

scripted entertainment. Why that is so hard to believe, at least for some of us, really is beyond me.

I think that most people feel it, smell, and are very conscious if it, but just don't want to admit that

this goes on. You know the old adage if it smells like dog crap and tastes like dog crap, then trust

your senses, it is dog crap!

For the NFL to be "rigged" on the same level as the WWE the players would have to be in on it too.

Edited by Pondslider

For the NFL to be "rigged" on the same level as the WWE the players would have to be in on it too.

Not true at all. The officials have the power to dictate how the games go. Too many gray areas in the rules gives the refs everything they need to fix the outcome on their own.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT op!! And the mob, bookies, and owners are in on it!! We were 5.5 underdogs. Get the !@#$ out of here with that bull ****. They have two major injuries and we still lose. We bust the dolphins ass in the first game and now we lose by more than 5.5? Complete bull ****!!

It's scripted! Here's two examples! How the !@#$ did the ravens win the year before? Oh cause Ray Lewis was retiring? Here's the REAL one. Katrina hits and the saints win the superbowl!! I don't know when our number will be called again, but it'll be set up for us to win!!

We had a dusting of snow in Buffalo yesterday. Is that enough to get us a sympathy Super Bowl win?

It is a subliminal mindset that the NFL officials and refs have with the Buffalo Bills. They been out of meaningful play so long, that they refuse to believe that the Bills can make plays. That is why they always pick against the Bills, close calls seem to go in the opponents direction. The refs see the Gilmore play and assume Pass Interference cause the Bills suck.

On almost every offensive play that Miami had I could see someone grabbing a Bills jersey, how many holding calls did Miami get???? :death:

Take out those 2 bad calls last night, Does Buffalo win? Nope

Keep being distracted by silly issues such as this. Your focus should be on how your team is put together and how your stadium is a dump. For such a good, loyal fanbase you deserve better.

:thumbsup:

For those saying the league has some favorite teams, do any of you think it's because of the coaches on the sidelines? lets be honest,a coach like Marrone, Jauron, and any other recent coaches don't give off a strong personality to the officials, so they have nothing to fear. Do officials want to cross a BB, John Fox, Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, Harbaughs etc? Not really, so those flags may or may not be thrown for that.

But on the other note if the Bills could score a )(*()*@_##&()(# touchdown once in awhile, this wouldn't be an issue.

I am not going to go on record just yet saying that it is rigged , although I highly suspect that it is. But if you believe that there is no subtle manipulation, man I have some swampland for you. You ask for a reason, what bigger reason do you need then $$$?

Yep, noticed all three. It could very sell be repercussions for the Bills bitching about officiating

in the NE game, same refs.

Please explain to me how the NFL makes money helping the Bills lose. Please explain how the Bills losing against the Chiefs and Dolphins makes the NFL money...a company worth BILLIONS of dollars and makes BILLIONS of dollars regardless if the Bills go winless or undefeated. No offense, but just saying its for money isn't a motive unless you can show how it makes money by manipulating a Bills game against the Chiefs or Dolphins.

I mean how can anyone actually believe this? How can anyone actually think the NFL cares about the Bills losing?

One more point. Ralph Wilson was an NFL icon and legend on many many levels. He passed away this year and the NFL did a good bit to cover it and welcome the transition of new ownership to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Plus the positive story of NFL great Jim Kelly fighting and beating cancer. If there was EVER going to be a conspiracy it would be to HELP the Bills be a feel good story in a year scarred by horrific NFL press and controversy. They need as many feel good stories as possible, and the Bills rising from the ashes like Kelly did and making it back to the playoffs to honor Wilson would be a massively needed positive story they could beat to death to change the tone.

There is absolutely, categorically, in no way a conspiracy. There is no motive and clearly there would be a motive to HELP us not hurt us if there was ever going to be one because that is the ONLY motive that would actually BENEFIT the NFL if they were to manipulate the games. And no one is helping us.

*drops the mic and walks off stage* case closed. :nana:

Edited by Alphadawg7

Please explain to me how the NFL makes money helping the Bills lose. Please explain how the Bills losing against the Chiefs and Dolphins makes the NFL money...a company worth BILLIONS of dollars and makes BILLIONS of dollars regardless if the Bills go winless or undefeated. No offense, but just saying its for money isn't a motive unless you can show how it makes money by manipulating a Bills game against the Chiefs or Dolphins.

I mean how can anyone actually believe this? How can anyone actually think the NFL cares about the Bills losing?

One more point. Ralph Wilson was an NFL icon and legend on many many levels. He passed away this year and the NFL did a good bit to cover it and welcome the transition of new ownership to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Plus the positive story of NFL great Jim Kelly fighting and beating cancer. If there was EVER going to be a conspiracy it would be to HELP the Bills be a feel good story in a year scarred by horrific NFL press and controversy. They need as many feel good stories as possible, and the Bills rising from the ashes like Kelly did and making it back to the playoffs to honor Wilson would be a massively needed positive story they could beat to death to change the tone.

There is absolutely, categorically, in no way a conspiracy. There is no motive and clearly there would be a motive to HELP us not hurt us if there was ever going to be one because that is the ONLY motive that would actually BENEFIT the NFL if they were to manipulate the games. And no one is helping us.

*drops the mic and walks off stage* case closed. :nana:

Man, you are definitely swampland material, there is no saving you!

Especially if you truly believe everything that you just wrote.

Again, I never said that it was rigged, I said that I suspect that it is,

or at the very least manipulated.

Do you remember the story of Goodell steering Vick to the Eagles, well is that manipulation?

Manipulation, or if you want to call it "fixing", can take many forms. There is no way to tell

for sure what the NFL's season to season agenda is, only that you can be sure that they

have one.

The only thing that we can deduce for certain is the definite blatant favoritism of

teams like Pgh, Dallas, SF, GB (morbid fascination there), NE, and yes Miami,

as well as a few select others.

I don't care how many feel good stories you cite, we are a small market team, and you would

have to agree that this does factor into things being they way they are, like the Vick story,

or the spygate situation, we only hear what leaks out, I am sure that there are a lot of other

transgressions that we have never heard about. Hopefully Pegs can swing the pendulum

a bit back our way.

Edited by Tu-Toned

I definitely think the NFL is guided... I think the league 100% favors certain teams over others and promote story lines (Patriots 9/11, Saints Katrina, Harbaugh SB) - frankly I am shocked there hasn't been a Manning v. Manning Superbowl yet. Maybe they ran it by Peyton and he wasn't in favor... I say guided because at the end of the it all the players still have to go out and perform and surely things happen in game that are random.

Having said that, I don't think the league is anti or pro Buffalo. They nothing Buffalo, the Bills are an also-ran every year. They can't stop tripping over themselves enough to matter and I don't think that is the NFL has a hand in that at all. It is Buffalo's own football management and staff. "Coaches" that couldn't coach themselves out of a paper bag and more blown draft picks than you can shake a stick at.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

It's sports. you get bad calls. you also get nice ones at times you don't deserve. Stop with the "JFK" Oliver Stone types of threads.

We sucked last night. That's it. The defense played well for awhile, but couldn't hold up. Our offense is anemic. We need a transfusion. I was thoroughly disgusted with a couple of calls, but also disgusted with the crappy play of our offensive unit.

No excuses. We lost that KC game on two fumbles. It wasn't the refs, it was McKelvin and Brown. We lost last night as Orton couldn't hit water from a boat just like EJ couldn't do the same in the Texans game.

We need a QB!!!!!! Yes, we need Guards, and a TE, but we really need a QB.

I was hopeful with Orton, but he's starting to show why he was a back up for most of his career. I hope he just had a slump, and changes, but doubt it.

It's sports. you get bad calls. you also get nice ones at times you don't deserve. Stop with the "JFK" Oliver Stone types of threads.

We sucked last night. That's it. The defense played well for awhile, but couldn't hold up. Our offense is anemic. We need a transfusion. I was thoroughly disgusted with a couple of calls, but also disgusted with the crappy play of our offensive unit.

No excuses. We lost that KC game on two fumbles. It wasn't the refs, it was McKelvin and Brown. We lost last night as Orton couldn't hit water from a boat just like EJ couldn't do the same in the Texans game.

We need a QB!!!!!! Yes, we need Guards, and a TE, but we really need a QB.

I was hopeful with Orton, but he's starting to show why he was a back up for most of his career. I hope he just had a slump, and changes, but doubt it.

I disagree with the notion we sucked the whole game and therefore deserved to get the game influenced by poor officiating. A 10-9 game where that safety call was made that was bad, followed by a ****ty PI call that lead to 7 pts and a 10 point deficit completely changed everything that happened afterward.

I disagree with the notion we sucked the whole game and therefore deserved to get the game influenced by poor officiating. A 10-9 game where that safety call was made that was bad, followed by a ****ty PI call that lead to 7 pts and a 10 point deficit completely changed everything that happened afterward.

don't tell this, some people believe that you can overcome all poor ref calls if you have a good team.

Rigged-----no.

Fixed-------maybe

MLB & the NBA have professional refs who are unionized. Aren't the NFL refs still part timers who have other careers ? If so, seems odd for a multibillion dollar operation.

I haven't trusted the NFL since Roger destroyed the tapes. At the time I figured oh well they have to save face & preserve the league. However, I'm beginning to think a lot of funny things are going on behind closed doors.

Do you remember the story of Goodell steering Vick to the Eagles, well is that manipulation?

So you're saying that, by steering Vick to the Eagles, Goodell revealed his hatred for, and intention to destroy the Eagles?

Sneaky bastard....

Manipulation, or if you want to call it "fixing", can take many forms. There is no way to tell

for sure what the NFL's season to season agenda is, only that you can be sure that they

have one.

The only thing that we can deduce for certain is the definite blatant favoritism of

teams like Pgh, Dallas, SF, GB (morbid fascination there), NE, and yes Miami,

as well as a few select others.

I don't care how many feel good stories you cite, we are a small market team, and you would

have to agree that this does factor into things being they way they are, like the Vick story,

or the spygate situation, we only hear what leaks out, I am sure that there are a lot of other

transgressions that we have never heard about. Hopefully Pegs can swing the pendulum

a bit back our way.

Are you kidding? Not one word you wrote has a single ounce of anything to do with the Bills or evidence the NFL is rigging games...the title of this thread "Is the NFL rigged"...not does Goodell make suggestions to Mike Vick.

I ask you what does the NFL gain by helping the Bills lose? There is no other discussion here going on, its about whether theres a conspiracy, rigging, fixing, etc against the Bills.

Again, the NFL is one of the most valuable properties on Earth. But to you, it makes sense, and financial sense, for them to make sure the Bills lose? Geezus now I have heard it all. This team sucks because it sucks, not because the NFL wants us to suck. The QB sucks, the coaches suck, the OL sucks. Thats THE ONLY REASON we suck. The NFL doesn't make money with teams sucking, the more competitive then the more watched they are, the more merchandise they sell, etc. And Miami is not some little pet of Goodells...they haven't been main stream relevant since the Bills last were and they still aren't close now with literally no marquee brand players.

I will bet everything I have and love in this world against $1 from you that Goodell isn't having secret meetings plotting against the Buffalo Bills. ESPECIALLY in a year where us doing good would actually be VALUABLE POSITIVE STORIES in a year marked by negativity for the NFL.

Only a Bills fan would think this to be true.

Now, if someone wants to make a case that certain players get more calls, certain players are on a shorter leash, certain teams get away with more...then fine, but that is NOT rigging which is pre planned manipulation and cheating. In fact, that is more of the human element and is present in EVERY single sport on Earth. I can even accept that the possibility of Refs acting for their own benefit exists like what happened in basketball. But to sit here and say the NFL rigs games, and more specifically, rigging them against the Bills is so ridiculous its practically comical and everyone should have a tin foil cone on their head.

You guys act like Goodell has a burner phone and called a ref in a secret ear piece during the game and said "Heres your chance, call it intentional grounding".

Seriously, this board is out there sometimes.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Did anyone notice when the Dolphins punted the ball (I believe it was the 4th quarter) and the official clearly marked it at our 15 yard line, yet when the commercial break was over the Bills were starting the drive at their own 10? No explanation of a penalty on the broadcast. In the scheme of things, it didnt matter - but it did add to my frustration for some reason.

I'm not going to say it's rigged, but it's extremely flawed. By my count this is the 3rd game where the Bills have been raped by the Refs - at least we won one of them. Maybe good teams overcome those calls, but the Bills aren't that good a team. And it's worth noting that the Dolphins didn't have to overcome those calls.

Either way, the NFL can kiss my ass, and all the d-bags that think the league can do no wrong can do the same. I'm through wasting time and money on this crap.

I may tune back in next year, but the NFL has lost me as a fan for now. It's no longer fun, and I always said if it wasn't fun I'd stop watching.

Edited by Rob's House

I would like to think not...but i wonder???? Hear me out for a minute, all the calls made by the refs are opinionated except for offsides and a clear pass interference in the open field. And think about how much money the NFL makes during the regular seasone not just for the big market teams but for all teams. Look how many teams they show on the TV that everyone sees in "the playoff picture" let's get real the Bills at 5-5 are out, but they will still show them up on the board to keep the die hard fans still involved thinking "we still have a shot" so they keep buying tickets and jersey's, plus the NFL still needs the fans to watch the ads during the games from which the NFL makes so much money from. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bears make the playoff's or start winning games to keep their fans involved because they play in such a big market. The NFL is like the WWE they kind of tell you who to like (i.e. the Patriots can do no wrong with Tom, where ever Payton is will be huge, the Seahawks with the 12th man (whom they stole from Texas A&M) are huge now just because of that) and the refs control the game kind of like the refs in the WWE. Think about when the Bills were superbowl contenders we had fans everywhere but people got tird of them so they moved on. Then I think about the Bills this year, yes their coaching isn't the greatest but think about some of the questionable calls the last two weeks:

1. against the Chiefs 2nd and 10 Complete pass to Hogan short of the first down forced out of bounds and then a late hit with no call. The play right after that two Chiefs jumped in the neutral zone one touches a Bill and they call False start on our right tackle. Now those calls didn't effect the outcome of the game but both could have extended the Bills drive

2. Tonight against the Dolphins, not only did it feel like the Dolphins were going to win from the way they were covered by the NFL network, the intentional grounding was a joke and I am glad Deion said so on the set after the game, but Gilmore made the best play of his career and he gets called for Pass Interference to set up first and goal for the Fins scoring a TD putting the game away.

I hope the NFL isn't rigged but sometimes I think it is putting the small market teams in the back.

The worst call was a Non Call at the end of the Houston game. It still infuriates me and it was over a month ago. In light of the new No Contact beyond five yard emphasis; Woods is running up the seam and the defender is jaming him with one hand on his shoulder, causing his upper torso to be twisted, for 20 yards. EJ(Mr. Can't hit the broad side of a barn according to some of you) throws the correct pass, a perfect pass, where Woods either leaps and catches it over the CB or draws the PI. As the screen follows the ball and we see Woods enter the screen the CB has BOTH his hands on Woods' shoulders and has his back to the ball. HOW THE HELL DID THEY NOT CALL THAT PI!!!!!!!!!!!?

We win that game if they make that call and EJ has another nice 4th qtr comeback to his young career AND we don't have to suffer through MR. Fools Gold/Capt. Mediocre Orton. UGGGG