NFL had tapes in April

bonechiller

If, as he says, Goodell didn't have the 2nd tape then shame on him for being such a brain dead doofus. All Goodell had to do was ask Rice to get a copy of the tape from Rice's attorney, who surely had a copy. Goodell should have made making the 2nd tape available to him a key component of his sentencing verdict.

Not that anyone with 1/2 a brain couldn't have logically deduced from the 1st video what actually transpired that night. But I digress.

Edited by Pneumonic

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still curious whether people think he should be fired for only giving a 2 game suspension or for lying. And if for lying, why? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just curious as to the rationale behind it.

How about: for a capricious disciplinary policy that left him the sole arbiter of all league discipline, which he then handled in such a ham-handed way as to damage the league's image all by his lonesome. Because he clearly had and still has no coherent policy for disciplinary action, merely his whims and impulses.

Really, the proper way to handle this would have been to let the justice system work this out BEFORE doing anything, specifically so that after this went through the courts you could make a sound judgement, that was in no way impulsive, based on the evidence that would then be freely available from state. Put Rice "on leave," with pay, while the case is active, if you have to. Just don't go off half-assed and end up looking like a complete fool, and then compounding your foolishness by trying to hide it, thus looking more foolish.

Goodell is managing to look weaker and more incompetent than the district attorney and judge that let Rice GET OFF SCOTT-FREE TO BEGIN WITH. And that's tough to do. And that's why he needs to be fired - gross incompetence. What he's done wrong is provide absolutely no direction at all for the league in this situation, which is his number one responsibility as NFL Commissioner.

of course they have. this is just the first time they've ever been busted in such a public manner. That's why Goodell will be getting fired. It might take a few days of half-hearted defenses from other owners, but he will be gone. It's a matter of time.

The larger issue here is what the courts did or didn't do with this case. The NFL has dealt Ray the harshest of punishment which he deserves. Goodell is going nowhere even though there is some stench around this. He's not an elected official. He's got a short-term PR problem and nothing more.

The larger issue here is what the courts did or didn't do with this case. The NFL has dealt Ray the harshest of punishment which he deserves. Goodell is going nowhere even though there is some stench around this. He's not an elected official. He's got a short-term PR problem and nothing more.

It'll only become something more if the PR problem starts negatively impacting the owners pockets. Then, the guy who they pay to fill those pockets, will not be doing his job and so, is no longer needed to be on their payroll.

Goodell will still claim he didn't know about it, whomever the NFL official is will fall on his or her sword as say he or she never brought it to Goodell's attention because of [lie], [exaggeration], and [total misrepresentation of the truth] and resign, a law enforcement representative will back up the false claim, the fans will be all up in arms until the games on Sunday, the league will make some non-consequential PR change in protocol that they think will assuage the pitchforks but will look as transparent and as silly as it always does, the whole thing will blow over because Johnny Football and LeBron James will be found on the same text messages stream as a Turkish Bath operator, and Goodell will keep his job, get a raise, and the NFL will go back to covering up mistakes with mistakes and being the most successful sports league in the world.

If Roger were to resign/be fired, how will this affect the October meeting and Pegula confirmation vote?

Owners vote El Pegula as Roger Goodell's replacement immediately ( not our Roger of course. he is invaluable here ) . absorb the cost of the BIlls aquistion and gently hand the deed to his dear wife as a show of gratitude .

Can we at least all agree that, for various reasons, Goodell should be locked in an elevator with Ray Rice?

Or his Wife Janey ?

or Both ?

Can we at least all agree that, for various reasons, Goodell should be locked in an elevator with Ray Rice?

Then when Ray is pounding him with left hands across the jaw, Goodell will be caught on tape yelling, "But you said to someone you learned your lesson and would never do this again!"

Russ Brandon, make your move!!!

Goodell will still claim he didn't know about it, whomever the NFL official is will fall on his or her sword as say he or she never brought it to Goodell's attention because of [lie], [exaggeration], and [total misrepresentation of the truth] and resign, a law enforcement representative will back up the false claim, the fans will be all up in arms until the games on Sunday, the league will make some non-consequential PR change in protocol that they think will assuage the pitchforks but will look as transparent and as silly as it always does, the whole thing will blow over because Johnny Football and LeBron James will be found on the same text messages stream as a Turkish Bath operator, and Goodell will keep his job, get a raise, and the NFL will go back to covering up mistakes with mistakes and being the most successful sports league in the world.

....and Ray Rice and his wife/victim will eventually become a wonderful human interest story for his/their battle against the adversity of an excessively scornful public.......if he doesn't actually devote his life to the ministry and the cause and become a huge celebrity for it.

The term "measured response" really needs to be introduced to the american public.

How about: for a capricious disciplinary policy that left him the sole arbiter of all league discipline, which he then handled in such a ham-handed way as to damage the league's image all by his lonesome. Because he clearly had and still has no coherent policy for disciplinary action, merely his whims and impulses.

Really, the proper way to handle this would have been to let the justice system work this out BEFORE doing anything, specifically so that after this went through the courts you could make a sound judgement, that was in no way impulsive, based on the evidence that would then be freely available from state. Put Rice "on leave," with pay, while the case is active, if you have to. Just don't go off half-assed and end up looking like a complete fool, and then compounding your foolishness by trying to hide it, thus looking more foolish.

Goodell is managing to look weaker and more incompetent than the district attorney and judge that let Rice GET OFF SCOTT-FREE TO BEGIN WITH. And that's tough to do. And that's why he needs to be fired - gross incompetence. What he's done wrong is provide absolutely no direction at all for the league in this situation, which is his number one responsibility as NFL Commissioner.

Excellent points, sir.

In perhaps a month’s time, we might very well see:

1. Roger steps down to shield the shield from this PR cluster you-know-what for the owners he represents.

2. Archaic NFL blackout policy lifted (if that has not already happened).

3. NFL player drug testing relaxed.

4. Josh Gordon, among others, reinstated.

5. Agreement on more equitable/expeditious distribution of concussion settlement funds to ex-players.

6. NFL agrees to amend tax-free non-profit status.

7. Redskins name change mandated.

8. Female NFL executive hired to top position of power.

9. Hell freezes over.

Ok, probably only the first 4 or 5.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Excellent points, sir.

In perhaps a month’s time, we might very well see:

1. Roger steps down to shield the shield from this PR cluster you-know-what for the owners he represents.

2. Archaic NFL blackout policy lifted (if that has not already happened).

3. NFL player drug testing relaxed.

4. Josh Gordon, among others, reinstated.

5. Agreement on more equitable/expeditious distribution of concussion settlement funds to ex-players.

6. NFL agrees to amend tax-free non-profit status.

7. Redskins name change mandated.

8. Female NFL executive hired to top position of power.

9. Hell freezes over.

Ok, probably only the first 4 or 5.

I wouldn't be surprised at #8. After this whole Ray Rice fiasco, Commissioner Condoleezza Rice is just what the league needs to rehab their image (not to mention she'd probably be a pretty good commissioner).

#6 is never happening. Or should never happen. The "league" is non-profit, in fact. It's the individual teams that are for-profit.

....and Ray Rice and his wife/victim will eventually become a wonderful human interest story for his/their battle against the adversity of an excessively scornful public.......if he doesn't actually devote his life to the ministry and the cause and become a huge celebrity for it.

The term "measured response" really needs to be introduced to the american public.

The American public need to learn that "victim" and "hero" are not synonyms.

Least of which when Ray Rice becomes a "victim" of the NFL's capricious and idiotic decisions...which is the direction this is heading in.

I wouldn't be surprised at #8. After this whole Ray Rice fiasco, Commissioner Condoleezza Rice is just what the league needs to rehab their image (not to mention she'd probably be a pretty good commissioner).

She "glided" through a stop sign on campus last year (making a left with no signal) and almost killed me when I was biking, ha. I was wearing a Bills sweatshirt. Coincidence?? Better have that Pegula vote sooner rather than later :).

The thing I'm trying to figure out in my head is, what is the message here? What I'm hearing is, "if you're going to commit domestic violence, just make sure there's no video evidence."

I mean, the description of the event, from what I recall, was pretty much what was shown in the video. Sure, the video is shocking to actually see, and you can get a better sense of Rice's apparent indifference to what he had just done. But what specifically about the video makes this an entirely different scenario? It's not like Rice or his fiancee did not admit to any of the events or actions shown in the video.

What Rice did was heinous, even before the video evidence came out. Why is Goodell saying, "Two game suspension! Wait, there's actually a video showing you doing this? !@#$ it, you're suspended indefinitely!"

She "glided" through a stop sign on campus last year (making a left with no signal) and almost killed me when I was biking, ha. I was wearing a Bills sweatshirt. Coincidence?? Better have that Pegula vote sooner rather than later :).

If you're looking for sympathy you've come to the wrong place. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/142403-have-i-mentioned-recently-how-much-i-hate-bicyclists/page__hl__%22how+much+i+hate+bicyclists%22

The thing I'm trying to figure out in my head is, what is the message here? What I'm hearing is, "if you're going to commit domestic violence, just make sure there's no video evidence."

I mean, the description of the event, from what I recall, was pretty much what was shown in the video. Sure, the video is shocking to actually see, and you can get a better sense of Rice's apparent indifference to what he had just done. But what specifically about the video makes this an entirely different scenario? It's not like Rice or his fiancee did not admit to any of the events or actions shown in the video.

What Rice did was heinous, even before the video evidence came out. Why is Goodell saying, "Two game suspension! Wait, there's actually a video showing you doing this? !@#$ it, you're suspended indefinitely!"

I think a lot of people were coming up with possible mitigating circumstances - not even necessarily based on anything that was being said about the incident, but maybe just a desire to believe that someone wouldn't just do something like that. So in the absence of video evidence they could come up with "reasonable doubt" scenarios.

So what if they had the tapes and Rice's fiance begged that they shouldn't boot him, and reluctantly they agreed. Does that make the NFL terrible for not kicking him out or nice for giving him a second chance?

Greybeard, the problem is, the NFL has publically stated they did not see the tapes until last Monday and their stated justification for going from 2 games to "indefinately" is the tape inside the elevator, which they publically stated they didn't see until Monday.

If they, in fact, had the tapes months ago and either didn't bother to look at all the evidence before deciding what action to take, or they lied about not having seen them, either way, that's a credibility problem now.

Edited by Hopeful

Wrong. NFL is registered as a non-profit organization. Really. No Joke.

http://www.nbcnews.c...tus-f8C11412804

Yeah but "non-profit" does not mean "public" or "government" or "quasi-government."

As a private entity, the NFL can do whatever it wants, no matter the form of business it has registered itself as. If an IBM employee did this and got suspended for 2 weeks, or a month, or a year, who would care? And why would there be outrage?

This is stupid. This is media driven. The NFL can do whatever it wants; if we dont like it we can boycott ( :rolleyes: ).

(again, the only real issue from all this is that Rice was wrongfully suspended longer just because the video came out. If there is no new info, there should be no basis for additional punishment)

Edited by maddenboy

Well, it's over. I guess we can all go back to our regularly scheduled NFL season now. We have finally got to the bottom of this, or will very, very soon with the truth.

The NFL has decided to investigate itself on this matter. Finally, we will know the truth. They cannot hide from themselves.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/10/report-nfl-security-investigating-whether-league-office-got-tape/

Greybeard, the problem is, the NFL has publically stated they did not see the tapes until last Monday and their stated justification for going from 2 games to "indefinately" is the tape inside the elevator, which they publically stated they didn't see until Monday.

If they, in fact, had the tapes months ago and either didn't bother to look at all the evidence before deciding what action to take, or they lied about not having seen them, either way, that's a credibility problem now.

"A credibility problem..." Yes. I'm just not sure how important such credibility is to the NFL, especially when there is this... you know... season going on to distract everybody.

Paterno went down and the frenzy is becoming similar. I wonder if penn st and paterno will get those wins back ever

I'm sorry, but I don't see much of a similarity.

Pretty much. And that's all on Goodell for being a reactionary idiot.

There are SO many ways this could have been handled better. And at this point, very, very few ways it could have been handled worse.

Well, it's over. I guess we can all go back to our regularly scheduled NFL season now. We have finally got to the bottom of this, or will very, very soon with the truth.

The NFL has decided to investigate itself on this matter. Finally, we will know the truth. They cannot hide from themselves.

http://profootballta...ffice-got-tape/

:D

Are they trying to look bad on purpose? This just in-- the NFL investigation into Goodell will be led by Goodell.

Gimme a break, NFL--go out and get an independent investigator. And while you're at it, how about getting copies of the spygate tapes, which I am sure still exist.

Part of me just has trouble believing that the NFL was trying to hide anything in this situation. After all, they had to know that this video would be available to the public at some point, right? It is not as if their copy of the video was the only one in existence.

I may be grasping at straws, but I wonder if the NFL did have the video and just never bothered to watch it. That is, suppose for a moment that Ray Rice admitted to everything and in so doing the NFL leadership saw no need to view the video, since Rice wasn't refuting any of the charges against him. They may have thought that no further investigation was necessary since he confessed to the deed. Of course, HEARING about the incident -- as bad as that narrative may be -- simply doesn't compare to actually SEEING the incident along with Rice's total disregard for the young lady after he knocked her out cold.

Just a thought.