Most Exciting Bills Game Ever

For me, it was the victory over Pats in September 2011

Looked like another ho-hum drubbing down 21-0.

Come roaring back, intense the whole way after that, and never gave up. The 3 picks of Brady ... McKelvin's and Wilson's outstanding athletic plays. Even Brady in the post-game commented that Wilson made a "heck of a play". And the big toss down the sidelines to Jones. As much as people hate on the Pats in the Bellichick- Brady era, you have to thank them for being so good they bring out the best in you, and it's an epic victory when you beat them.

http://youtu.be/qgF_9Kxhgqs

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it was the victory over Pats in September 2014.

Looked like another ho-hum drubbing down 21-0.

Come roaring back, intense the whole way after that, and never gave up. The 3 picks of Brady ... McKelvin's and Wilson's outstanding athletic plays. Even Brady in the post-game commented that Wilson made a "heck of a play". And the big toss down the sidelines to Jones. As much as people hate on the Pats in the Bellichick- Brady era, you have to thank them for being so good they bring out the best in you, and it's an epic victory when you beat them.

http://youtu.be/qgF_9Kxhgqs

Mine was Browns 6, Bills 3, 2009

In recent history it's tough to top the Bills-Pats* in September of 2011. All-time, however, I tend to lean towards the "no punt" game vs. the 49ers in '91. That game was the definition of exciting.

2011 started off with so much excitement.

I hurt my throat yelling so loudly in response to that NE game.

We got so lucky FJax fell short on that TD... I just *knew* that if we scored a TD on that, the Pats would storm back down the field, get a TD and an extra point and send us all home heartbroken haha

2011 started off with so much excitement.

I hurt my throat yelling so loudly in response to that NE game.

We got so lucky FJax fell short on that TD... I just *knew* that if we scored a TD on that, the Pats would storm back down the field, get a TD and an extra point and send us all home heartbroken haha

it's funny, now that I see that play from 2 angles I don't see how you can over turn call on the field. An example of refs favoritism that backfired? joking ... well sort of ...

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

There are so many. NE was special, the no punt game was amazing. I submit Bills vs Oilers but not the one most of you might think. Rather September 24th, 1989. Bills win 47-41 in OT at Houston:

Another game was in the Bledsoe era where we tied the Vikings with a bounce in off the cross bar 54 yard FG and won in OT on a Peerless Price 45+ yard TD

Mine was Browns 6, Bills 3, 2009

it was that game that I decided to not be a fan until they fired Dick Jauron. I hoped for loses until he was gone. I didn't wait long.

And you can't forget the comeback game of course. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

And I'll add another game being the Miami comeback (let it snow, let it snow, let it snow) game with Jim Kelly on the sidelines going crazy.

Unfortunately I wasn't at either of those games or I'm sore I would have them on my list.

it was that game that I decided to not be a fan until they fired Dick Jauron. I hoped for loses until he was gone. I didn't wait long.

That game was tough to swallow.

My serious answer to the question is "the comeback" and I'm surprised no one else said that. Two other great ones: bills over Miami in 89 and over jags in 98, each ending with a QB rushing td

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

Anytime they win it is exciting. On average I am excited about the team about 6 Sundays a year.

It used to be 7 then they hired Nix. Who I will never forgive him for this comment " were closer than you think".

The first SB was pretty darn exciting though. Holding on to beat the jets in the 80's when Smerlas blocked the FG with the clock running out was pretty exciting if you were at the game. They won the division and down came the goal posts.

Ummmm.....captain obvious here, but how bout the comeback game vs the Houston Oilers? Frank Reich? Know him?

Odd as it sounds but I had a strange feeling we were going to win that game all along. They had no answer for reed in the slot .... but more importantly moon was a %* up. Just knew he'd throw an ill-timed pick, and he did. Then another in OT and that's all she wrote. For me that game had a certain positive fatalism that the pats game didn't: that was a nail biter until the clock struck 0:00.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Opening day, 1980. The Bills finally ended the Dolphins 20 game strangle-hold, Rich stadium goes ape-**** crazy...the goal posts come down...and 'Talkin' Proud" is born....the other was the 1990 AFC Championship game...51-3 over the Raiders...I wasn't there, but watching at home with about 4 other friends...knowing, for about 2 hours that your sports fantasy was about to come true, was just unreal...

Going back a ways to 1974.... It was the height of the Steelers dominance and Buffalo went to play Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Buffalo managed to get off to a big lead then the Steelers started to come back. Momentum shifted to the Steelers as Buffalo had the ball third and long on their own six. Steeler crowd was sensed a comeback and were screaming as buffalo came to the line. O.J. Simpson ripped off a 94 yard touchdown run and the crowd turned into a morgue. Buffalo went on to beat the mighty steelers in front of their home crowd.

the other was the 1990 AFC Championship game...51-3 over the Raiders...I wasn't there, but watching at home with about 4 other friends...knowing, for about 2 hours that your sports fantasy was about to come true, was just unreal...

The week between the Raiders game and the Superbowl was the longest week of my life. It felt like an eternity. Zero work was accomplished that week. The entire city was just buzzing and going bonkers - it felt like a long, surreal dream. Even though the outcome wasn't what we wanted, I don't think anything will ever top the pure excitement of that first Superbowl. For some reason it just didn't seem possible that I would ever see the Bills play in the big game, but there it was.

Going back a ways to 1974.... It was the height of the Steelers dominance and Buffalo went to play Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Buffalo managed to get off to a big lead then the Steelers started to come back. Momentum shifted to the Steelers as Buffalo had the ball third and long on their own six. Steeler crowd was sensed a comeback and were screaming as buffalo came to the line. O.J. Simpson ripped off a 94 yard touchdown run and the crowd turned into a morgue. Buffalo went on to beat the mighty steelers in front of their home crowd.

I don't know but I think that win was in 75. The year after the Steelers had that monster draft.Which in hindsight made it all the better. These days everyone gets giddy beating the Jests.

Any game during the Jauron era. That was too easy. I gotta go w/ "The Comeback." It was surreal to me while it was happening. I could believe, but yet it didn't seem possible. And no sooner would I have that thought, Reed or somebody would score again. Something I think gets lost about that game, the Bills had the lead well before the end of regulation, something like 3:08 left. The Oilers had to make that field goal to PUT It into OT.

I went more than half of the home games during the "glory years" and even with the terrible first half, the excitement of the second half especially after watching that first half... You can't beat that. As a kid I remember the stadium trembling and vibrating from noise and people rushing down. It was electric

Edited by SJDK

That game was tough to swallow.

My serious answer to the question is "the comeback" and I'm surprised no one else said that. Two other great ones: bills over Miami in 89 and over jags in 98, each ending with a QB rushing td

this, the play-off comeback to the Oilers, maybe the best NFL game ever!

In recent history it's tough to top the Bills-Pats* in September of 2011. All-time, however, I tend to lean towards the "no punt" game vs. the 49ers in '91. That game was the definition of exciting.

I, 2nd that! That game was one the most exciting NFL games ever not just the most exciting Bills games ever, for me.

The "no punt" game actually left me dizzy.

I, 2nd that! That game was one the most exciting NFL games ever not just the most exciting Bills games ever, for me.

We went to that game it never disappointed. Starting with Bruce running out for warmups, and doing a lap around the field holdng his helmet high. Bills fans went nuts. After the game the scene was crazy by the Bills busses. They could not clear Bills fans for the busses to leave. A couple thousand fans going nuts.The team was still pumped, you do not forget Sunday's like that.

Bump. Cool thread. What are some of the others? Bills/Fish season opener 91?

Kelly over the goal line as time expires is the first thing I think of anytime somebody brings this topic up. I jumped around my living room like an idiot.

Totally agree.

I was at that game, and when you consider how much talent was on the field that day, it was truly an unforgettable moment. I wish that NFL Films would make a special about that game.

My two favorites are below, these were my first two Bills games.

1988 9-6 vs. Jets to clinch the Division. I was 8 years old and it was my first game. 9-6 doesn't sound that exciting, but a blocked kick to save the game and the goalposts coming down made me a Bills fan.

1990 51-3 vs the Raiders. Complete blowout, and overall euphoria. My dad and I spent the entire 4 hour drive back talking about how sure we were that we were going to win the Super Bowl. I think the Giants had already won the NFC, and my Dad was saying he wished the 49ers would have won so people wouldn't question the legitimacy of our pending win in the Super Bowl. D'oh.

The Raiders Monday night game in 1974 was probably my all time favorite. Wow! It was my father, myself and a couple buddies as it was late on a school night so I got to replace the family with friends. I still remember being stunned trying to get out of the parking lot and listening to the post game show. I usually hated that slow moving event, but we soaked it all up and had no desire for the time to pass. We barely spoke as we listened to the post game interviews. I think the players were as stunned as we were.