Most Exciting Bills Game Ever

I just can't call that game "exciting." It was completely out of control halfway through the first quarter, and pretty much over halfway through the second quarter. Does anyone remember anything about the second half of that game?

I understand what you're saying, but personally, spending 2 1/2 hours thinking, "holy ****, we're going to the super bowl" was pretty damn exciting. Also, the entire stadium was just completely electric, because 80,000 other people were thinking the exact same thing.

Edited by Captain Caveman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1981 Bills Patriots game. Bills down by 4 at their own 27 with no timeouts. Roland Hooks makes a spectacular diving catch to get to the Patriots 36 yard line. Then catches a Hail Mary on the very next play to win the game, which helped the Bills get to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/v...Hail-Mary-catch

I remember this game well... at least that final drive. Roland Hooks, what a hero that day! The catch before the Hail Mary was indeed "spectacular."

Dizzy in a way that you had just watched the most amazing game in the history of professional football?

Dizzy in a way that I was watching the most amazing game in the history of professional football, and that, at some point in the second half (right around when Young and Kelly traded interceptions back-to-back), I started having a hard time wrapping my head around what was going on.

And I'm unapologetic about that, since according to Talley the entire defense felt the same way.

For me, it was the victory over Pats in September 2011

Looked like another ho-hum drubbing down 21-0.

Come roaring back, intense the whole way after that, and never gave up. The 3 picks of Brady ... McKelvin's and Wilson's outstanding athletic plays. Even Brady in the post-game commented that Wilson made a "heck of a play". And the big toss down the sidelines to Jones. As much as people hate on the Pats in the Bellichick- Brady era, you have to thank them for being so good they bring out the best in you, and it's an epic victory when you beat them.

http://youtu.be/qgF_9Kxhgqs

I do admit that was the happiest moment in our 14 years out of the playoffs for me. It reminds me of the Little Giants where we'll always have that "one time".

Opening day, 1980. The Bills finally ended the Dolphins 20 game strangle-hold, Rich stadium goes ape-**** crazy...the goal posts come down...and 'Talkin' Proud" is born....the other was the 1990 AFC Championship game...51-3 over the Raiders...I wasn't there, but watching at home with about 4 other friends...knowing, for about 2 hours that your sports fantasy was about to come true, was just unreal...

For those of us that lived through 20 straight losses to the Dolphins in the 70s, and being dominated, in many ways, worse than what we have endured against New England - That was an absolutely awesome win. It was the season opener and set the tone for a division winning season. That season also season ended with an extremely exciting playoff game. Unfortunately, we lost it when Dan Fouts threw a 50 yard TD with a little over two minutes left in the game....

Bump. Cool thread. What are some of the others? Bills/Fish season opener 91?

I believe you're thinking '89. Anyone who does not say the comeback game is either a) not old enough to remember, b) old enough that they remember some better old school games that I don't or c) trying to be artsy and not state the obvious. People, it's the comeback game. And yes, I was there.

There are so many. NE was special, the no punt game was amazing. I submit Bills vs Oilers but not the one most of you might think. Rather September 24th, 1989. Bills win 47-41 in OT at Houston:

Another game was in the Bledsoe era where we tied the Vikings with a bounce in off the cross bar 54 yard FG and won in OT on a Peerless Price 45+ yard TD

Can't see how I could vote for anything other than the comeback against Houston. That was amazing.

Out of games I actually attended:

Jets '88 - when we locked up the division with a late Norwood field goal and the posts came down

Rams '89 - Monday night. the first Frank Reich comeback I remember. Great 4th quarter.

Broncos '90 - Place was nuts in the 4th quarter

Comeback game

Dolphins '02 snow game

games i didn't attend:

Dolphins '89

SF '91

Houston '89

Cleveland '89 (whoops make that '90 (playoff game))

SB XXV

NE '11

Homerun Throwback

Fins playoff loss '98

Minn '02

Edited by TheBrownBear

Houston comeback. Game was not on local TV so we had to find a local pub that would carry it. I went home at the end of the 2nd half then listened till mid way through the 4th qtr with my parents (both now in heaven) then went back to the pub for the end of regulation then OT.

It would have to be either 51-3 vs raiders afc championship or the preceding week vs Miami 44-38? Or something like that. Anyway, Raiders because of what was at stake and how well the team played. Exciting doesn't have to mean close. Everyone in that stadium was excited and the atmosphere at that game has not been duplicated. The Miami playoff the week before was exciting due to Kelly's return from injury and the fact Marino and company were a real threat. Most fans at that time thought we just needed to get home field to advance to a SB . A hobbled Kelly and Marino on the other sideline had a major chance of derailing our Super Bowl hopes. These two were the most excited I've ever been at a Bills home game. Runner up would be Supe 25.

Bills vs Raiders in the first years of Rich Stadium being open. Joe Ferguson hit Ahmad Rashad for the game winner in the left side of the west end zone. Most exciting game I was ever at.

2nd year it was open, actually. Home opener 1974. I was there too, but in right side of east end zone.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197409160buf.htm

Going back a ways to 1974.... It was the height of the Steelers dominance and Buffalo went to play Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Buffalo managed to get off to a big lead then the Steelers started to come back. Momentum shifted to the Steelers as Buffalo had the ball third and long on their own six. Steeler crowd was sensed a comeback and were screaming as buffalo came to the line. O.J. Simpson ripped off a 94 yard touchdown run and the crowd turned into a morgue. Buffalo went on to beat the mighty steelers in front of their home crowd.

Awesome. Before my time, so I love hearing about it. Thanks.

Monday night game vs. the Raiders that the Bills won 21-20. It was also voted the most exciting game of the 1970's on Monday Night Football and was the first time that the Raiders lost on Monday Night Football. It was so exciting that I actually kept my dad up who is usually not that excitable and we had the police come to our house as with all of my screaming, one of the neighbors though that my parents were fighting and called the poice because it was the first Monday Night game of the year and I still had my windows open (ha-ha). Great memory.......

Mine was Browns 6, Bills 3, 2009

took my wfe to her first bills game that beautiful sunny day. she literally fell asleep. and she wasn't drinking. it remains the only bills game i've ever walked out of before the end....let alone the only tie game! the whole display was so pathetic that we left at 3-3. the tailgating was way more fun.

Going back a ways to 1974.... It was the height of the Steelers dominance and Buffalo went to play Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Buffalo managed to get off to a big lead then the Steelers started to come back. Momentum shifted to the Steelers as Buffalo had the ball third and long on their own six. Steeler crowd was sensed a comeback and were screaming as buffalo came to the line. O.J. Simpson ripped off a 94 yard touchdown run and the crowd turned into a morgue. Buffalo went on to beat the mighty steelers in front of their home crowd.

i was there! it was an 89 yard run, but still... me and mom and dad were up high in the upper deck whooping it up...only 3 Bills fans in the place that I saw that day. it ended up 30-21.

I just can't call that game "exciting." It was completely out of control halfway through the first quarter, and pretty much over halfway through the second quarter. Does anyone remember anything about the second half of that game?

Yeah...Norwood missed a 47-yard FG wide right. Seriously. Should have been 54-3. Apparently it was a bad omen.

For me, I'd go with mrags...the Dallas Monday Night loss was probably the craziest, most exciting game I've seen in a long time, from start to finish. Sucks that we had to lose, but there wasn't a moment of that game that wasn't crazy, right from the moment it started. I've never seen or heard the home crowd quite like that, at least not in many many years.

The last-second win vs. New England a couple years ago was also incredibly exciting, especially when Florence walked into the end zone to take the lead late in the game. Another time when the home crowd was just absolutely bonkers. But the first half was a real snoozer.

Start to finish, that Monday Night loss is hard to beat. I do remember the no-punt game, and that has to be up there as well. But the Monday Night loss had all those factors -- it was Monday Night, nationally televised, the crowd was completely out of their minds, all of the big plays from start to finish...man, I was so completely wasted after that one.

Yeah...Norwood missed a 47-yard FG wide right. Seriously. Should have been 54-3. Apparently it was a bad omen.

For me, I'd go with mrags...the Dallas Monday Night loss was probably the craziest, most exciting game I've seen in a long time, from start to finish. Sucks that we had to lose, but there wasn't a moment of that game that wasn't crazy, right from the moment it started. I've never seen or heard the home crowd quite like that, at least not in many many years.

The last-second win vs. New England a couple years ago was also incredibly exciting, especially when Florence walked into the end zone to take the lead late in the game. Another time when the home crowd was just absolutely bonkers. But the first half was a real snoozer.

Start to finish, that Monday Night loss is hard to beat. I do remember the no-punt game, and that has to be up there as well. But the Monday Night loss had all those factors -- it was Monday Night, nationally televised, the crowd was completely out of their minds, all of the big plays from start to finish...man, I was so completely wasted after that one.

I have been to 100 games I would say, and that particular MNF game was by far the wildest crowd and most electric atmosphere I have ever been in. Way, way more crazy than any Super Bowl (I have gone to seven of them). It truly sucks we had to lose that game for so many reasons, but as far as pure excitement goes, there wasn't a game that was even close to that one.

The second most electric game I ever saw was the first Bills MNF home game against the KC Chiefs in 1973 with Howard Cosell getting all excited over OJ, who had two TDs in the first few minutes and rushed for 157 yards on 39 carries which set an NFL record. The Bills went to 5-2 in the romp and Rich Stadium went bananas.