A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point #3 is absurd and makes me lose respect for your posts and insight. Marrone, while not perfect (no one is) has instilled a level of competitiveness that we haven't seen around here in years. The guy is clearly a great leader and very intelligent about how to win football games. I think he's a huge reason why these games are so close while the Bills have used a bunch of rookies and injury subs.

Put me in the column who thinks this coaching staff is very weak, and some of their decisions have been mind boggling.

Do you think the Bills would have more wins this year if they had Andy Reid at HC? If your answer is "no", then you're fooling yourself.

Gilmore is a liability out there right now and shouldn't be playing

He also turns his back to the receiver way too much which is the last thing a corner should ever do

Know who else is a liability? A guy like justin Rogers. I'll still take Gilmore at 80% over a guy that's 60% as good at full health.

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

7) Sun went down in honey,

Moon came up in wine.

Stars were spinnin' dizzy,

Lord, the band kept us so busy,

We forgot about the time.

They're a band beyond description

Like Jehovah's favorite choir.

People joinin' hand in hand

While the music plays the band.

Lord, they're setting us on fire!!!

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life.

13) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I look forward to your thread after every game, but this was almost like we lost the game. Don't really understan where you're coming from.

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

I like Kyle , I don't think he is fully healthy. His main job is to clog it up and let Kiko free. Same with Dareus. I think they both get blocked at times with double teams. So him won't show up with big stats but he does what they ask him to do plus he got that fumble. So he not the problem but they could use an upgrade made in the next 2 yrs in the draft.

Dislike for Dareus? I am an Alabama Fan. I watched his entire career and have rooted for him big time since day 1. That said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an NFL draft. I am thinking that we have a right to expect more.

I agree. I was not a fan of the pick. No offense to Bama. But a poor run defense starts with the nt/dt. Mario and Lawson will not allow many outside runs. Moats and Alonso can stuff runs up the gut.. if our interior linemen occupy the o line. In minor league I play de and used to play nose. And if you are having a good day, Your middle linebackers are having a huge day. But I digress. For Dareus to live up to 3rd overall hype he need more hits like the one he had on McGahee in the Cleveland game and our run D should be much more formidable.

Oh, one thing Bill didn't mentioned: While no Pro Bowler, Thad Lewis is proving he has grit and the ability to lead this team in EJ's absence. He gets hit a lot, but jumps right back up and is determined to go. His play has been more than respectable. A nice find by the management.

He deserves props for his gutty performance again today.

yup. the guy has real heart. he's a bit rough on his touch passes but the arm strength is there. fun to watch. give him more time to throw and the long ball becomes a real threat.

trying to figure out freddie's injury. he was in agony from what had to be a knee or much less likely an ankle injury? how'd he come back so fast? dislocation? still would have had ligament damage, you'd think. anyway, the guy's amazing. through the years, the Bills most dependable player.

the special teams coach needs to be canned. If I see a Bills played field a punt inside the 10, I am going to kick the TV in. It almost cost us the game in the 4th quarter, and the Bills still struggle in coverage.

And why were we letting the play clock run down that drive?!? Giving Miami the ball nearly in fg range with about 4 mins left you'd think we'd have a little hustle in our tempo just in case the D gave up a first or two and a fg leaving us down 4 without much time. We even let the clock run on our punt knowing that. Proved unimportant but could've been huge.

Ugh. TSW is starting to really suck when I can't even enjoy A few thoughts about the game.....

Sigh

I suppose people see games differently

Ditto. I'm "this" close to removing the bookmark. I was away for the last 12 days and thought i would miss the board -- not so much. I think it clarified what is important to me -- which is not reading what a bunch of whiny jackwagons have to say about something that is supposed to be a fun pastime. I was at the game today and enjoyed the hell out of it. These Bills are fighting their asses off and are finally fun to follow. I'll enjoy them with my friends and family who aren't complete idiots.

A can't agree with your assessment of Marrone.

First, as other posters have said, he has this team ready to play and has instilled a toughness that I think was lacking under the previous regime(s). They don't give up late in games when they trail which is a good sign for a team this young in the NFL. The Bills took a division leading team to OT and beat a 4-2 team coming off a by week with their 4th string QB and both RBs playing injured. Damn good coaching.

Second, I don't think the game management was as bad (or bad at all) at the end of the first half. The Bills are one of many teams that are employing analytics to on-field decisions. You hear Marrone say things like "the book says we should..." often. He's basically relying on their analytics in game situations. With less than 2 mins to go and the Dolphins with 3 TOs, the book probably says that your best odds of keeping them off the board is to get a first down. It also increases your odds of putting 3 up on the board before the half. Given the horrid rushing attach today, passing was the best choice. Did they execute, no. Lewis made 3 terrible throws, on none of which he was under pressure. That doesn't make the decision bad.

The Dolphins also went 75 yards down the field with just 2 TOs with 1:25 left on the clock. You don't coach expecting that to happen.

So, the almost the worst possible outcome happened under that strategy. The odds of that were extremely low. Sometimes the other guy draws to an inside straight and hits it. That doesn't mean you second guess the bet given the odds you have.

EdW

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

Moon came up in wine.

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

ROBEY is A GAMER !!!

Bill - thanks for all of your work. I could not wait to read your thoughts after this fantastic win.

I'll add a few thoughts. I think we're witnessing a culture change here. This team is TOUGH and has a swagger to it. We haven't seem this in years, and for the first time probably since Flutie was benched I now regularly expect the Bills to win. For the (relative) old timers (I'm 34), I almost hate to say it but it's starting to feel like 1987.

With respect to today's game, I love the way Leodis played. It's much easier to play corner when you can count on the pass rush to force the ball out quickly. Credit should also be given to doug Whaley and buddy nix. The depth on this team is impressive, and whalery's proactive approach to the kolb injury in trading for Lewis is paying off in spades. I love the jerry Hughes trade, too. His numbers don't jump off the page, but he showed when it counted today. Was it him that forklifted his man on tanehill's backside on the Mario sack and strip? No matter, we are building an identity of a tough team, and even the realist in me thinks we're on the cusp of something special.

He's certainly BIG enough to clog the middle. Too bad it's not happening.

Rarely hear his name called it seems.

Every time you hear alonso or moats/bradham/lawson its a credit to dareus. We didnt hear a lot from them or... as you stated... him today

We got the ball up 10, with 1:47 left in the half. They burned 10 seconds off the clock. With Thad Lewis as your QB and with your team in complete control of the game the smart thing to do would be run the football. If they did that, the chances of Miami getting a Touchdown are a lot slimer considering they would've had less time and none of their timeouts. There's a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative. That was a time to be conservative.

Call me poo-smearing crazy but I would've went for it on 4th and goal from the 2.

Put me in the column who thinks this coaching staff is very weak, and some of their decisions have been mind boggling.

Do you think the Bills would have more wins this year if they had Andy Reid at HC? If your answer is "no", then you're fooling yourself.

No. The chiefs are winning because a stupendous defense. That chiefs defense sent five players to the ProBowl last year in spite of their record. I don't think our defense can match the talent on that Chiefs defense.

Thanks for your thoughts Bill. I always like your posts though I don't always agree with them. To me this is one of the greatest wins in a long time. Not because it was a fish squishing but more because it shut the blow hole in the guy that was sitting to the left of me at Stingers this morning/afternoon. When Kyle Williams recovered the fumbled ball he STFU and actually was ok when Carpenter hit the FG.

Let's all enjoy this. Can't believe all the whining. Divisional win on the road is a good sign. NO is a tougher challenge. Cheers! :beer:

Me too. He has gotten better and better as the season has progressed.

This is true, but he made plays at important times. I have few complaints with Dareus.

Yeah, those last 2 minutes of the 1st half were atrocious. I don't think Marrone looks lost, he looks like a coach. Worse than Marrone: Greg Schiano, Ron Rivera, Gus Bradley(but that may not be fair), & Marvin Lewis (or he may be equal to Marrone). Before you call me crazy about mentioning Marvin Lewis, take a look at his overall record with the Bengals and his playoff record and tell me how in the world is he still a head coach.

Could not agree more.

I will reserve judgment on Gilmore when he no longer has that cast on his hand. Robey is looking very impressive.

You make an interesting point here. Kyle Williams is not getting any younger and is not doing that good in the middle. I would like to see Alan Branch teamed up with Dareus in the middle, and have Kyle moved to DE. Kyle is a much better pass rusher than some people think.

Moon came up in wine.

Ah-huh

Me too. I just hope that he starts to get the ball more.

That is true. Lewis was off on a few passes. By the way, how about Stevie on that run after catch on 3rd down which kept the drive alive, that eventually led to our FG making it 21-20. That was all Stevie, if he does not make that play who knows what happens.

I agree, but I think the coaching staff is too paranoid about losing another QB to injury.

I think it is safe to say that McKelvin is having the season of his life.

Thank you!

Amen!

I missed the beginning of the game.....so when we got the ball with 1:47 left in the half, I asked the guy next to me, who happens to be Bob in St. Louis, do we get the ball to start the second half? He said yes, so I said we've got to run out the clock. 10 seconds later we were punting. Somebody posted "Maybe they were trying to score." There is no need to take chances at this point in the game.

Thanks for making my point better than I did.

Before the game I called a fiend of mine and asked him the point spread. I told him that if I was betting football, this would be my lock of the year. I said this because I honestly believe that this is a talented team, partially due to our rookies, the true emergence of Mario Williams, Petine, and other reasons. The thing is, we still need to play smart football to win a game like this, let alone on the road.

If this was the first weird sequence before the half I would have been less angry. But it wasn't, and things like this can cost us a much needed win.

Right now, I am not even focused on our divisional opponents. If this team plays disciplined football and avoids costly errors like the one you list above, we will win more games! The other 3 teams are not great, and can be caught.

Maybe my expectations are too high. They were NOT coming into the season. But again, this team is talented enough to win games. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Conpletely disagree about Marrone. There is a reason why this team has been tied or ahead in the 4th quarter of every game this season. The coaching staff has this team ready to play competitively every week.

I'm thinking its too early to say for Marrone. I'm liking that we are in every game, and we'll see how good he is as a coach by how the team plays the rest of the season. So far I see good things and I see bad things. He's handled the qb situation well and made the move to Lewis in a timely fashion, not panicking and going to someone new and unfamiliar with the playbook.

I'm thinking its too early to say for Marrone. I'm liking that we are in every game, and we'll see how good he is as a coach by how the team plays the rest of the season. So far I see good things and I see bad things. He's handled the qb situation well and made the move to Lewis in a timely fashion, not panicking and going to someone new and unfamiliar with the playbook.

disagree. 7 games is plenty of time. Fire the bum! The Bills would be 7-0 with a good coach.

I've been unhappy with the play calling at times this year too, however the Bills are number 9 in scoring with a rookie QB, a QB who has played 3 NFL games and 2 injury ridden RBs, on top of that 4 of the defenses we've played are top 10. I don't think Hacket is doing as bad a job as everyone's is saying. The only stat that matters on O is points and we've been doing better than most teams against some pretty stiff competition.

The Bills could be 7-0 if the play calling was better. IF Hackett could get any creativity about him this O would be as good or better then the D is. Stats are great. But watching the game and play calls like Frank Summers two times in a row up the middle show Hackett's lack of creativity. It was like he watched that play work once so he went right back to it. Make no mistake as this season goes on and team get more film of Hackett's tendencies this O will look worse and worse. I pray that Hackett and Marrone figure it out. The talent and will appears on this team, now the coaching needs to step up on the O side.

The Bills in this game, and all games this year, lacked rhythm on offense and relied on a play here and a play there to advance the ball.

Don't know why Gilmore is playing. Seems pretty useless with that hand, other than to be a piece of human flypaper that can't really tackle or catch.

Other than that, don't understand the negativity here. The team seems really well coached. F. Jackson is a stud. Lewis is playing above expectations. The D is playing like it should've last year. They made big plays in this game when it count, won the turnover battle, and beat a team most pundits didn't think they would.

Ditto. I'm "this" close to removing the bookmark. I was away for the last 12 days and thought i would miss the board -- not so much. I think it clarified what is important to me -- which is not reading what a bunch of whiny jackwagons have to say about something that is supposed to be a fun pastime. I was at the game today and enjoyed the hell out of it. These Bills are fighting their asses off and are finally fun to follow. I'll enjoy them with my friends and family who aren't complete idiots.

Yes! High five!

Okay, I'll bite on the "Coaches worse than Marrone" list:

Schiano - not a soul on earth can argue this one

Philbin - our team looked more prepared yesterday than his

John Harbaugh - what happened to this team? From Superbowl Champs to losing at Buffalo, at Miami, and at 1-5 Pittsburgh

Gary Kubiak - waaaaay too talented a team to have 2 wins

Bradley - Rod Marinelli's 0-16 Lions team would be Bradley's Jags by 2 TDs; seriously

Allen - that Raiders team is a hot mess

Frazier - when you have to bring in a new starting QB--and NOT due to injury--mid-season, that tells me you horribly misjudged/mismanaged the position

Coughlin - I don't care how many injuries you have; with guys like Eli, Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers on offense and Tuck, JPP, Webster, Amukamara, Kiwanuka on defense, it's deplorable that they haven't won a game

And I left off the debatable guys like Arians, Shanahan, Munchak, Chudzkinski, Kelly, Mike Smith, and Jeff Fischer--all of whom have equal or greater talent on their teams than Marrone and aren't getting the job done.

A can't agree with your assessment of Marrone.

First, as other posters have said, he has this team ready to play and has instilled a toughness that I think was lacking under the previous regime(s). They don't give up late in games when they trail which is a good sign for a team this young in the NFL. The Bills took a division leading team to OT and beat a 4-2 team coming off a by week with their 4th string QB and both RBs playing injured. Damn good coaching.

Second, I don't think the game management was as bad (or bad at all) at the end of the first half. The Bills are one of many teams that are employing analytics to on-field decisions. You hear Marrone say things like "the book says we should..." often. He's basically relying on their analytics in game situations. With less than 2 mins to go and the Dolphins with 3 TOs, the book probably says that your best odds of keeping them off the board is to get a first down. It also increases your odds of putting 3 up on the board before the half. Given the horrid rushing attach today, passing was the best choice. Did they execute, no. Lewis made 3 terrible throws, on none of which he was under pressure. That doesn't make the decision bad.

The Dolphins also went 75 yards down the field with just 2 TOs with 1:25 left on the clock. You don't coach expecting that to happen.

So, the almost the worst possible outcome happened under that strategy. The odds of that were extremely low. Sometimes the other guy draws to an inside straight and hits it. That doesn't mean you second guess the bet given the odds you have.

EdW

Wait- what the? A smart poster? Welcome to the small and exclusive club.

Call me poo-smearing crazy but I would've went for it on 4th and goal from the 2.

Agreed at the time. Glad it worked out the way it did.

The Bills could be 7-0 if the play calling was better. IF Hackett could get any creativity about him this O would be as good or better then the D is. Stats are great. But watching the game and play calls like Frank Summers two times in a row up the middle show Hackett's lack of creativity. It was like he watched that play work once so he went right back to it. Make no mistake as this season goes on and team get more film of Hackett's tendencies this O will look worse and worse. I pray that Hackett and Marrone figure it out. The talent and will appears on this team, now the coaching needs to step up on the O side.

Are you really criticizing Hackett because Frank Summers, our starting FB who has played in every game this season, got his FIRST TWO CARRIES OF THE YEAR today? And the first one he ran for like 15 yards?? Yes, I agree that the odds weren't great of it happening again on the second play but geez man, give the guy a freaking break. The problem with posters on this board is that they don't really watch, analyze and scrutinize other teams and realize that not every team calls every single play the way YOU'D call it every single game, all season long. When it has come to criticizing your OC over a first down handoff, it may be time to look in the mirror and ask yourself a few questions.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

The team has been in 6 one-score games out of 7, and the lone outlier opened up to a 13-point game on Tuel's pick-6 with less than 2 minutes remaining.

With games that close, you can just as easily say that this team could be 0-7.

That's the reality of the NFL; there's a very, very fine line between winning and losing.

I'm just glad that Marrone hired Pettine and Gailey didn't or we would still have Fitz back there throwing game enders.

Isn't it remarkable what a difference a decent defense can make. The Bills defense is still ranked 26th in yards allowed. While Miami is ranked 14th, and doesn't that show you stats are meaningless at times.

Don't know why Gilmore is playing. Seems pretty useless with that hand, other than to be a piece of human flypaper that can't really tackle or catch.

For what it's worth, watch the Hail Mary again. See the big club knock the ball down.

I mean, yeah, he's essentially useless, but seeing him use the club at the end made me laugh.

Coughlin - I don't care how many injuries you have; with guys like Eli, Cruz, Nicks, Randle, Myers on offense and Tuck, JPP, Webster, Amukamara, Kiwanuka on defense, it's deplorable that they haven't won a game

I agree with most of your list, but you can't put Coughlin on there. Yeah, it's deplorable that the Giants are winless this year. But it's not like the guy forgot how to coach. He's got two Super Bowl rings, and each time his team won the NFC title game on the road. I think he can be exempt for this list of clowns.

Offense

Thad Lewis is a pleasant surprise; I really like the kid. While EJ seems like he has a much higher "ceiling", I'm very curious to see how Thad will develop as well.

My hat is permanently off to Fred Jackson. Today's game is the perfect of the stats not telling the story. Do you think the Bills would ever put a player like him on the wall?

Kudos to Stevie for the few flashy plays he made today! I hope he and Thad (and EJ) get more in synch though.

I too love Robert Woods. I was surprised he wasn't targeted more this week. He definitely seemed to have chemistry with EJ, but not really with Thad.

Misc thought:

McClain was inactive Sunday. Does anyone know who would have played if Legursky got hurt?

Defense

Kyle Williams played the fumble perfectly. He tried to scoop it up and make a play, but made sure he recovered it when that didn't go just right. If there is any question, he has to make sure the Bills get the ball, which he did. I thought Kyle played very well. Other have posted they think he's hurt. Unfortunately, I agree. Something is a little off, but I'm not sure what it is.

I think Dareus has been playing his best ball to date as a Bill.

The LBs continue to let us down. Lawson had some good plays at the very start of the season, but I'm seeing him out of place more and more, including giving up long runs. (I'll have to re-watch to call out which ones.

I know there is an unpleasant thread about Mario Williams, but I'll add here: I was uncomfortable with his hustle in the 2nd and 3rd quarter, but wow did he turn it on in the 4th! He just looks slack, like he's jogging when the play isn't near him, but lights up often enough he's "worth the money" in my book, you know, since it's not my money....

DBs

I've been very happy with Aaron Williams this year, but didn't think he looked very good this game. I didn't really notice Ron Brooks, which is great for a DB, since I heard he played a lot, especially in the second half. I saw Byrd knife in on a number of plays. I can't wait for him to hit full speed. I still hope we re-sign him to a reasonable contract. Gilmore is playing okay, not great, but is MUCH better than our other options (Rogers, Duke Williams etc.). Robey looks really good, the best nickel CB we've had since K. Thomas IMO, and he's still young and improving. What a great find!

Special Teams

Marcus Easely is excellent an excellent gunner. It would be well worth a roster spot to have another "Easley" on the left side. If we had this, we'd be talking about being a top ST unit.

I too thought the Carpenter kicked short on purpose. With another Easley, that would have been the right call.

By organizing my thoughts into O/D/ST, did I break the "no particular order" directive?