A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

7) Sun went down in honey,

Moon came up in wine.

Stars were spinnin' dizzy,

Lord, the band kept us so busy,

We forgot about the time.

They're a band beyond description

Like Jehovah's favorite choir.

People joinin' hand in hand

While the music plays the band.

Lord, they're setting us on fire!!!

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life.

13) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his ass off today and I for one appreciate this.

11) There should have been more called running plays to Lewis. Period. I won't back down on this and I blame Marrone.

13) I think that there should have been called running plays to Lewis.

Someone has been throwin' a few back today! :D

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no?

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!!

6) Kyle Williams recovered the fumble, but he was not all that impressive. I am thinking that the Bills gave up a bit too much up the middle. I don't know what his story is.

Moon came up in wine.

8) Robert Woods didn't have great numbers today, but I am just SO impressed with this kid. I feel like he is always helping this football team.

10) Granted, Choice and SJ had brutal drops in the first quarter, but both missed passes appeared to have been forced and lacking in touch.

14) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except for 14, this reads like we lost the game.

I thought Dareus was our best player today. I like Woods but I'm not sure what he did that impressed you so much today. Calling Marrone a "horror show" is a bit harsh, no? I just don't understand why you pick people (Gilmore and Marrone) and just ride them so incredibly unobjectively (not a word apparently). No, he doesn't look lost. I like him a lot. Other coaches would've found ways to lose that game. Ron Rivera is a worse coach than Doug Marrone. I am all about the Dead man (went to Dark Star in Boulder last night) but I just don't know what game you are watching most of the time.

Bill, for whatever reason your dislike for Darius clouds your view of him. Was he dominant? No! Bad? No! The teams has bigger problems than his play.

As for Marrone, I agree with you at one level, whether it's him or Hackett, the game situation awareness and management has been poor, very poor, at times. And I totally agree with you that this happened again at the end of the half. Even if you just run the clock out, or way down, and go in with a 10 point lead, while maybe conservative, it is on the road and 10 points is pretty good at the half.

As for overall, you cannot deny that he has had the team prepared and ready to play every week. And all that with a rash of injuries at key positions, and not the least being QB. Overall, I would say better than Chan, but with some serious lessons to learn about game management.

Edited by CSBill

The Bills are soft up the middle and need a real NT/DT bc neither Kyle nor Dareus get the kind of push or can clog up the middle the way it should be

I don't understand why they can't get the wide receivers involved more and why they ignore the middle of the field most of the game

Edited by Max997

Mckelvins one big mistake followed by marrones -- that fair catch at the 5 with 4-5 mins left then milking the clock the drive that followed. Things worked out but man that was a rough few minutes and we are lucky we got the ball back without needing to get 80 yards in60 seconds. Agreed before the half - needing big yards with a sputtering offense and momentum turning just get into the lockerroom. I like him but his end of half clock management scares me sometimes. I've mentioned it a few times. Still think he's a keeper currently though.

Edited by NoSaint

Moon came up in wine.

14) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this. Yes, he is playing well.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle. Nope, several good run stuffs. I saw him being held a lot. We need better LBs.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him. Agree that he should have taken time off of the clock and get to the half with a 10 point lead on the road. Seems to be learning game managment or else he needs to rein in Hackett.

On the positive side, I loved his intensity, his "talking" to the refs about the game and the calls, and his challenges are good. He is involved in the game. Too many past coaches sat there like stiffs. I like the fact the team is playing hard for him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no? I hope it lasts.

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!! Gimore played hard and his coverage was mostly fine - while playing with a severe handicap he is still better than what we had. They are attacking him and he is doing fine. I saw him swinging his club without concern for further injury while trying hard to make a tackle. We have players on this team that do not play hurt. This kid will be very good, give him a break.

Robey is looking like a nice nickel DB.

Look at the LB play. Kiko is playing well but sometimes he gives up a lot on the run. He is bit light. He was manhandled one-on-one for a few big runs up the gut. I hope he can gain some weight and still play fast.

7)

Meh. We will see. I like him so far.

Third string QB, still gaining experience.

??? Really?

And if we lose Lewis we get Tuel.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life. He played well and I am happy he avoided some close PI situations.

14) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!! Thanks and Cheers Bill!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

Edited by Bob in STL

Oh, one thing Bill didn't mentioned: While no Pro Bowler, Thad Lewis is proving he has grit and the ability to lead this team in EJ's absence. He gets hit a lot, but jumps right back up and is determined to go. His play has been more than respectable. A nice find by the management.

He deserves props for his gutty performance again today.

Agreed on Marrone. Posted it another thread. Up 10 before the half we chuck it 3 straight times with a 3rd string QB. Stupidity at it finest.

Uhh maybe because we were trying to score points. The "3rd string quarterback" thing means nothing. He's playing at every bit the level that Manuel was playing. If they run it up the middle three straight times and Miami stops the clock and scores, you'd have more people on here complaining about them being too conservative. I like the aggressiveness. In fact, I thought they should've gone for it from (what was it, the 2?) and I think he would have had he not been burned by it last week.

Bill, for whatever reason your dislike for Darius clouds your view of him. Was he dominant? No! Bad? No! The teams has bigger problems than his play.

Dislike for Dareus? I am an Alabama Fan. I watched his entire career and have rooted for him big time since day 1. That said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an NFL draft. I am thinking that we have a right to expect more.

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Agree about Aaron Williams

2. and 6. I disagree as I thought both Dareus and Kyle played good games. And for those thinking he should have run in the fumble, I disagree. He did the right thing by securing the ball. He is not paid to run with the ball and bad things could have happened. He did his job.

3. Marrone is a work in progress but he is a rookie HC in the NFL. He deserves some slack. Keeping the team together when the Dolphins had the momentum is huge. He has had some questionable decisions particularly in clock management (in earlier games too) but he is far from a disaster. He is having the guys play hard and will improve, IMHO

4. Mario made the big plays we brought him in for. It has been a long time since our D changed the outcome of the game

I am surprised you gave no props to Fred Jackson. I think he played his rear off and ranks way up there in my list of all time favorite Bills. Guy is just too good and plays hard.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I wish I kept the all-22. The guys on the radio kept coming back to what a force he was today not letting anything happen in the middle. I think he was playing a softer role in the middle and a hold the line more then penetrate it kind of assignment.

We are still an improved team. I do not know how much a better coach would have meant this season because we are so dang faulty.

...Skelton. HA!

I really, really, really have to sit on my hands here with Gilmore. Nothing bad, though. Just, nothing good. In fact, it's nothing. It is frustrating.

If anyone on this team is trade-bait, Kyle Williams is.

I only watched the first quarter, could you or someone elaborate, please? Run blocking?

I agree.

Getting better and better.

Predictions:

• I will cut my hand and burn myself 5 times today as I rewire my tractor during the game. The soldering gun is my worst enemy as I refuse to use needle nose pliers and gloves.
  • Gilmore will get more then one penalty on him due to the club. It will not be flagrant, it will be accidental, as he learns to adapt.
  • Robey performs well, gets an INT.
  • Boo-Byrd will be a plenty today as he finds out where he fits in this defense is not what he is used to - which is not to say he will play bad. I just do not see him learning where to be on the field yet since he is an instinctive player and has such limited time.
  • CJ Spiller has a coming out party today.
  • Special teams mean more today then any other game.
  • SJ13 leads the stats from WR's.
  • Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus have their best games of the year. *this does not mean Mario gets more sacks, this means he plays his best all around game.
  • Kiko Alonso tries his hand at forcing and recovering fumbles.

6 of 9 ain't bad. I have no idea what happened to Spiller. I think I have been holding my breath to hold out hope that this guy shows up on a Sunday. I considered it a bold prediction.

And I didn't have a few things I needed to wire the tractor so I hunt squirrels, fixed some things and a did other odd jobs.

Always ... um.. Check that, USUALLY enjoy your post game thoughts Bill, but I'm just not seeing what your seeing this year. Yes, we're still being gouged on the run, but I believe it has more to do with the new pressure scheme than being manhandled up front.

Gilmore is a major asset on this team.

Marrone has his team ready every week. Very refreshing change.

Kolb, Manuel, Tuel now Lewis -and it isnt even Halloween. This has the makings of another '68 season.. Run our 4th starter at QB more??

Cheers to you on the big win!

We got the ball up 10, with 1:47 left in the half. They burned 10 seconds off the clock. With Thad Lewis as your QB and with your team in complete control of the game the smart thing to do would be run the football. If they did that, the chances of Miami getting a Touchdown are a lot slimer considering they would've had less time and none of their timeouts. There's a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative. That was a time to be conservative.

Bingo. Bills coaches seem to lack situational awareness again, much like last year.

1) Aaron Williams played his ass off today and I for one appreciate this. Yes, he is playing well.

2) Dareus recorded 4 tackles and 2 assists, but imo he didn't play so well. He provided vey little push up the middle. Nope, several good run stuffs. I saw him being held a lot. We need better LBs.

3) Marrone is a horror show. I am sorry, but he is. Before the deuce at the half, he cost us 7 points. This is not the first time he has hurt us before the half. And really, are you looking at him? Does he not look lost? Please list coaches that you think are worse than him. Agree that he should have taken time off of the clock and get to the half with a 10 point lead on the road. Seems to be learning game managment or else he needs to rein in Hackett.

On the positive side, I loved his intensity, his "talking" to the refs about the game and the calls, and his challenges are good. He is involved in the game. Too many past coaches sat there like stiffs. I like the fact the team is playing hard for him.

4) Mario is just great. Seriously, the man is GREAT!!!!! He took over this game and won us a divisional game on the road. This is what is supposed to happen with players on whom a team invests their most resources. It was wonderful to see this fantastic player play at such a high level, no? I hope it lasts.

5) If anybody wants to sing the praises of Gilmore, please do. That said, I loved what I saw from Robey!!! Gimore played hard and his coverage was mostly fine - while playing with a severe handicap he is still better than what we had. They are attacking him and he is doing fine. I saw him swinging his club without concern for further injury while trying hard to make a tackle. We have players on this team that do not play hurt. This kid will be very good, give him a break.

Robey is looking like a nice nickel DB.

Look at the LB play. Kiko is playing well but sometimes he gives up a lot on the run. He is bit light. He was manhandled one-on-one for a few big runs up the gut. I hope he can gain some weight and still play fast.

7)

Meh. We will see. I like him so far.

Third string QB, still gaining experience.

??? Really?

And if we lose Lewis we get Tuel.

12) Kudos to McKelvin for playing what I think was the best game of his life. He played well and I am happy he avoided some close PI situations.

14) Congrats to my Bills friends!!!!!!! Thanks and Cheers Bill!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!

I think he needs to talk to the players more. He's to quiet for my liking. After a big play why not say something to the players. Accountability right?

Anyone else even more impressed with Pettine as a coach today on that last play? He had our D lineman all shift before the snap to overload the D's left side, which is what caused the pressure to chase Tannehill out of the pocket. I thought that was brilliant. Normally you wouldn't do that because you're opening up one whole side of the D, but in that situation, with 6 seconds and no TO left, that wasn't a worry, and he knew that and made the right call. Very impressive, IMHO....

Wow that was one bad game played by both teams.

The Bills D won that game for sure between the pic-6 and the strip/recovery that allowed the winning field goal.

I'm not sure what was up with that last Bills kickoff. If that was a called returnable kick, whoever called it needs to be fired immediately. The fish damn near ended the game right there.

The good about that game:

1) The Bills won.

2) Mario waking up at the end.

3) Fred.

Gilmore is playing with a club on his hand, I really don't get why you bash him every week. ya he didn't play well but like I said the man has a cast on his hand

I really have no idea why he is playing or how the NFLPA allows this. The guy's freakin playing with one arm.

I missed the beginning of the game.....so when we got the ball with 1:47 left in the half, I asked the guy next to me, who happens to be Bob in St. Louis, do we get the ball to start the second half? He said yes, so I said we've got to run out the clock. 10 seconds later we were punting. Somebody posted "Maybe they were trying to score." There is no need to take chances at this point in the game. We're getting the ball right after halftime. Take the 10 point lead (on the road) into the locker room and get ready. Instead, they gave up a big play, and eventually a touchdown. That killed momentum. Bad decision. The end of the game about killed me. Why they ran a short kickoff is beyond me. Then the 50 yard return. Ughh. I had visions of interference on a Hail Mary. I'm glad we won, but what a tense ending.

Dislike for Dareus? I am an Alabama Fan. I watched his entire career and have rooted for him big time since day 1. That said, he was the 3rd overall pick in an NFL draft. I am thinking that we have a right to expect more.

He's certainly BIG enough to clog the middle. Too bad it's not happening.

Rarely hear his name called it seems.

Gilmore is playing with a club on his hand, I really don't get why you bash him every week. ya he didn't play well but like I said the man has a cast on his hand

Perhaps you can explain how the club on his hand caused him to bite inside and let the WR blow by him. He got burned badly. He should be on the sideline if the club caused him to make a foolish mistake that cost us points.

I will say this, Hackett is horrible, I am sorry but calling the same crappy CJ run play again and again to start a drive and getting nothing from it is inexcusable.

Hackett has shown little to no game management or feel for the game. He is in over his head. I said it in the game thread and i say it here. And as long as Marrone allows Hackett to call the game Marrone is as much to blame. This is the NFL a Cord should not develop!!!! Hackett should have proven he belonged here and that is why he is the Bills OC.

Miami is not a great team. Tanneyhill is not a good QB. The Bills would have lost that game if Tanneyhill was good. They did lose that same game against Brady and Dalton.

I am not happy at all with this staff- stay consistent. They go for it last week against Cincy and show an aggressive style. This week they get a turnover late in the game, and are moving the ball. Go for the TD! Seal the game. There are other examples from this game where Hackett had no idea how to work the clock.

D coaches are great and doing the best they can with the talent they have. Pettine is showing over and over that he learned well from Rex.

Perhaps you can explain how the club on his hand caused him to bite inside and let the WR blow by him. He got burned badly. He should be on the sideline if the club caused him to make a foolish mistake that cost us points.

maybe because he couldn't bump him at the line. His physical style does make a difference in his play.

I hate the fact that Gilmore has to play. Says a lot about our corner depth... Lewis was a horror show for most of the game, but came through big just enough times. Can't wait for EJ to get back! Dareus and K Williams are both playing too heavy. We need a real run-stopping NT/DT with Williams in on pass plays.

Hated all the lateral pass plays. Do those EVER work?

Glad for the win. I almost went to the game, but family kept me home.

I will say this, Hackett is horrible, I am sorry but calling the same crappy CJ run play again and again to start a drive and getting nothing from it is inexcusable.

Hackett has shown little to no game management or feel for the game. He is in over his head. I said it in the game thread and i say it here. And as long as Marrone allows Hackett to call the game Marrone is as much to blame. This is the NFL a Cord should not develop!!!! Hackett should have proven he belonged here and that is why he is the Bills OC.

Miami is not a great team. Tanneyhill is not a good QB. The Bills would have lost that game if Tanneyhill was good. They did lose that same game against Brady and Dalton.

I am not happy at all with this staff- stay consistent. They go for it last week against Cincy and show an aggressive style. This week they get a turnover late in the game, and are moving the ball. Go for the TD! Seal the game. There are other examples from this game where Hackett had no idea how to work the clock.

D coaches are great and doing the best they can with the talent they have. Pettine is showing over and over that he learned well from Rex.

I've been unhappy with the play calling at times this year too, however the Bills are number 9 in scoring with a rookie QB, a QB who has played 3 NFL games and 2 injury ridden RBs, on top of that 4 of the defenses we've played are top 10. I don't think Hacket is doing as bad a job as everyone's is saying. The only stat that matters on O is points and we've been doing better than most teams against some pretty stiff competition.

maybe because he couldn't bump him at the line. His physical style does make a difference in his play.

Wow. Makes me think you didn't watch that play. Had nothing to do with being able to bump him. He let the WR he was covering one on one blow right by him as he looked back and bit inside, at what I have no idea. He was burned very badly on a long gainer that cost us, and the "club" had nothing to do with it. He knew he was beat badly as you saw him hauling to try to make up for it, but he couldn't

get away with it on that one.

Wow. Makes me think you didn't watch that play. Had nothing to do with being able to bump him. He let the WR he was covering one on one blow right by him as he looked back and bit inside, at what I have no idea. He was burned very badly on a long gainer that cost us, and the "club" had nothing to do with it. He knew he was beat badly as you saw him hauling to try to make up for it, but he couldn't

get away with it on that one.

You got it HB51!! now that I think about it, I do remember that play.

And he sure did get caught peeking. Good point!!

Edited by qdawg in philly

Gilmore is a liability out there right now and shouldn't be playing

He also turns his back to the receiver way too much which is the last thing a corner should ever do

The Bills are soft up the middle and need a real NT/DT bc neither Kyle nor Dareus get the kind of push or can clog up the middle the way it should be

I don't understand why they can't get the wide receivers involved more and why they ignore the middle of the field most of the game

Agreed on the WR. Where was Goodwin today? Since there was such a fierce pass rush the whole day, why didn't try a reverse with him and TJ. The OL as a whole played very poorly. Spiller and Jackson (other than that big 15 yard run) were crushed most of the day.

I hope one day I do get to see the dominating run defense that Mt. Washington and Bruce Smtih created.