A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) Sure, I know about the punt return where he called a fair catch and was open enough to gain 5 or 10 yards. Yes, I get it. But I want players like Jim Leonhard on my football team every day. I always liked him more than Whitner and people said I was crazy. Whatever.

2) Say any bad things that you want to about Graham. Go ahead, and I will agree. But his move at the end of the 2nd quarter on the end around was just sick.

3) Woods is every single thing that I thought he would be, and even more. Pro ready? This kid gets OPEN!!!!!

4) Glen had a brutal game today. In the 2nd quarter, the sack that caused the fumble was all on him, and he was all alone to recover it but could not. And btw, a he committed a stupid penalty just before this play. Not cool.

5) Shaking in the bedroom, covers on your head

Cringing like a baby at the hand beneath the bed.

Phantom in the closet, scratching at the door,

The latest mystery killer that you saw on channel four,

When Push Comes To Shove, you're afraid of love.

6) Do you want to talk about who won us the game today? I love talking about this s%3t. Well obviously, let's go straight to Kiko. He was just awesome. What a GREAT draft selection he was. Seriously. More to come on this.....

7) Gotta give a big time and well deserved shout out to Easley on Special Teams. Man, does he get down the field in a hurry and make sure tackles!!!

8) Sorry to question the coaches after a win, but there seemed to be too many sequences in which we ran on 1st and 2nd down, only to throw on 3rd down. It was as if Joe Gibbs or Vince Lombardi were calling these plays. I don't know.....

9) What happened? When did Aaron Williams turn into a good football player? He was horrid. Seriously, the guy couldn't play at all until now. He played his ass off today!

10) His numbers weren't great, but Spiller played well imo. He was less tentative, and this matters.

11) Getting back to who won us the game, Marcel Dareus played the best game of his life. And yes, I do remember the game against the Redskins in which he put up great numbers against a decimated OL. Today, he was just off the charts great. He enabled the rest of the defense to do great things because he clogged up the middle AND was getting to Flacco. I was just so proud of him today.

12) I want some help here, but on the TD run by FJ, it looked to me as if Colin Brown threw a key block! Wtf???

13) I am not trying to convince any of you that Searcy is good. I will however maintain that I do want him on my football team.

14) Congrats to all. We really do deserve wins, ya know?

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller was definitely better. I think we can attribute some of it to Summers' lead blocking. However, he did miss a couple cutbacks and there was a near-clear TD run where he cut back into defenders.

TJ Graham definitely has speed and moves. Good to see him make some positive plays today.

Searcy played very well today. The whole secondary, sans Rogers, played way beyond expectation.

How about a shout out to Lawson and Dareus??? They played great. KW was good too. Didn't see much from Hughes. Mario saw double teams today. Great run defense. And you know what Colin Brown was servicable today. EJ should have bowled over that DB on third down instead of sliding and coming up short. Ok to slide against DL and LB's but EJ outweighed that guy by 50 lbs. It's first down (and goal I think) if he just takes one more step forward and leads with his shoulder into the guy.

My observations:

1) Unless you're a HOF QB the 100% shotgun offense is an invitation to be pressured. Nice to see an offense with EJ under center and taking advantage of PA. I think it's a rookie QB's best friend.

2) Chandler finding his place in the offense, big target for EJ. Talking about TE's, Lee Smith owe us 4 points.

3) Kudos to Henderson for having the secondary ready for the challenge. We all expected disaster with a depleted secondary but Rogers wasn't victimized much and we may have found that #29 can play. Solid games from Searcy, Leonhard and especially A. Williams.

4) I hate that the Jets own us, they're looking like crap agains the Titans.

Edited by Fixxxer

I thought that EJ played the best game of his career thus far today. He made great decisions and some really well thrown balls. I wish he could have back that first possession where he had SJ open on the 3ish. We had to settle or a field goal. EJ didn't see him make the break. He hung in the pocket and got some big gains with his feet too.

Stevie killed us today. It was more tha just being taken out of the game by the defense. Killed a big run from EJ, and somehow forced a turnover on offense. There was another key drop or two. He looked more rookie than our rookies.These are mental lapses.

I really liked the coachin and play calling in the first. More seems, slants, and timing routes. We dd poorly at making adjustments through the half. I asked for peoples heads last week if they didn't improves. I must give credit where it is due. Not happy with the second half. Although a lt of the issues on offense where on te WR's

I hate to pick nits on a victory, but I was very disappointed in our punter today. Not the first time he's come up lame in key situations either.

And, unlike our franchise player, I admired the grit many players showed today fighting thru injury and pain. Spiller, FJ, AW come to mind. I believe Mario and Dareus were playing thru sprains as well.

dareus, williams, lawson, alonso, mario, hughes had some pressure, leonard was good, searcy had some plays, aaron williams was a part of quite a few plays, and i thought justin rogers had a nice bounce back. overall great effort by the defense.

offensively, i loved the heart that freddy ran with and the 42 yard strike from ej to woods. also, cj was running fast and decisive, and the o-line seemed to do a nice job as well.

oh yeah, that play-action pass was a thing of beauty.

Edited by swnybillsfan

Yup....slowly open up more each week...more designed runs by EJ. He did however have 2 horribly under thrown balls on deep routes. But he is getting better each play!

Manuel's repertoire is expanding. That's what I see. they are adding to what the offense can do, each week. It's gonna take some time before he (and the receiver are learning with him) can execute all the different play well. He is doing really well to me (and not just this game).

One fourth of the way through the season and Kiko Alonso must be light years ahead of any other DROY at this point. Right?

People keep talking DROY, but why not Defensive Player of the Year, period? His stat line would warrant it, and like today, a number of his big plays have been "key". Not to harp on a point to much, but imagine if he played in NY, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Dallas or New New England? He'd certainly be getting that kind of press, wouldn't he?

One fourth of the way through the season and Kiko Alonso must be light years ahead of any other DROY at this point. Right?

Maybe not light years, but he should be on the short list for Rookie of the Year at this point. He's the best LB I've seen the Bills put on the field since...London Fletcher, maybe?

I always enjoy your AFTABTGINPO posts. Thanks, man.

1) Sure, I know about the punt return where he called a fair catch and was open enough to gain 5 or 10 yards. Yes, I get it. But I want players like Jim Leonhard on my football team every day. I always liked him more than Whitner and people said I was crazy. Whatever.

2) Say any bad things that you want to about Graham. Go ahead, and I will agree. But his move at the end of the 2nd quarter on the end around was just sick.

3) Woods is every single thing that I thought he would be, and even more. Pro ready? This kid gets OPEN!!!!!

4) Glen had a brutal game today. In the 2nd quarter, the sack that caused the fumble was all on him, and he was all alone to recover it but could not. And btw, a he committed a stupid penalty just before this play. Not cool.

6) Do you want to talk about who won us the game today? I love talking about this s%3t. Well obviously, let's go straight to Kiko. He was just awesome. What a GREAT draft selection he was. Seriously. More to come on this.....

7) Gotta give a big time and well deserved shout out to Easley on Special Teams. Man, does he get down the field in a hurry and make sure tackles!!!

8) Sorry to question the coaches after a win, but there seemed to be too many sequences in which we ran on 1st and 2nd down, only to throw on 3rd down. It was as if Joe Gibbs or Vince Lombardi were calling these plays. I don't know.....

9) What happened? When did Aaron Williams turn into a good football player? He was horrid. Seriously, the guy couldn't play at all until now. He played his ass off today!

10) His numbers weren't great, but Spiller played well imo. He was less tentative, and this matters.

11) Getting back to who won us the game, Marcel Dareus played the best game of his life. And yes, I do remember the game against the Redskins in which he put up great numbers against a decimated OL. Today, he was just off the charts great. He enabled the rest of the defense to do great things because he clogged up the middle AND was getting to Flacco. I was just so proud of him today.

12) I want some help here, but on the TD run by FJ, it looked to me as if Colin Brown threw a key block! Wtf???

13) I am not trying to convince any of you that Searcy is good. I will however maintain that I do want him on my football team.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People keep talking DROY, but why not Defensive Player of the Year, period? His stat line would warrant it, and like today, a number of his big plays have been "key". Not to harp on a point to much, but imagine if he played in NY, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Dallas or New New England? He'd certainly be getting that kind of press, wouldn't he?

Star Lotulelei and Sheldon Richardson are both having great seasons so far, but Kiko is making bigger plays.

Great points. Not only is he making plays. He makes them when they MATTER. Love this guy.

Maybe not light years, but he should be on the short list for Rookie of the Year at this point. He's the best LB I've seen the Bills put on the field since...London Fletcher, maybe?

Earlier today I was thinking of him vs. Poz. Wasn't much to think about, really.

How about a shout out to Lawson and Dareus??? They played great. KW was good too. Didn't see much from Hughes. Mario saw double teams today. Great run defense. And you know what Colin Brown was servicable today. EJ should have bowled over that DB on third down instead of sliding and coming up short. Ok to slide against DL and LB's but EJ outweighed that guy by 50 lbs. It's first down (and goal I think) if he just takes one more step forward and leads with his shoulder into the guy.

I disagree on the EJ criticism....physics is all well and good in retrospect, but DB's can inflict just as severe a hit (if not worse) than a bumbling DT or a LB. He did what he was taught and is a rookie. I saw improvement today and that is important in a young QB. Plus he's healthy.

i think he is clearly better than london 'tacklem after a good gain' fletcher...ps i am impressed that london is still playing at 40

Woods has become the Bills number 1 WR in the 4th game, didn't see that coming

Glenn was facing one of the best pass rushers in the game and overall think he played a good game. Yes he should hv recovered the fumble but never seems easy for the big guys

A lot of ppl knock Chandler but when hit in stride is a good reliable receiver

I also like Leonard who is a hard nosed solid player

Woods has become the Bills number 1 WR in the 4th game, didn't see that coming

Glenn was facing one of the best pass rushers in the game and overall think he played a good game. Yes he should hv recovered the fumble but never seems easy for the big guys

A lot of ppl knock Chandler but when hit in stride is a good reliable receiver

I also like Leonard who is a hard nosed solid player

Was thinking the same thing about Woods.

I think Chandler is just now really recovering from his injury; he looks much more fluid.

I didn't agree on the personal foul call on Leonard hitting a defenseless receiver. Looked to me like the receiver was in the process of making a catch and Leonard just plain smacked him cleanly trying to separate him from the ball.

- Aaron Williams was a beast today

- Kiko what more can you say, as a rookie he looks like a 10 year veteran out there reading the QB

- I wish Spiller had Fred's vision

- Fred continues to be a solid contributor although he fumbled again

- Much better game for Hacket / Marrone

- Why can't we play well vs the Jets again?

Was thinking the same thing about Woods.

I think Chandler is just now really recovering from his injury; he looks much more fluid.

I didn't agree on the personal foul call on Leonard hitting a defenseless receiver. Looked to me like the receiver was in the process of making a catch and Leonard just plain smacked him cleanly trying to separate him from the ball.

Agreed. Regarding Leonhard, the call was bad, but the call was made. He's not going to get fined or anything.

I think sometimes when we see the yellow line on the field where the first down marker is we ask too much from these guys to know when to slide, lunge, lower the shoulder, etc. Granted, before the play you need to know where the first down marker is. But to me, if EJ saw that yellow line like we did he may not have slid. He has been criticized for NOT sliding before.

I was critical of Searcy last week, but re as a deep safety. I think he does great in Scott's old role. Leonard has filled in great, but Byrd is still needed as the last line of defense.

I thought Hackett missed a great opportunity at the start of the second half to make a big play on a play fake.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Branch. I think he had a lot to do with Dareus having a big day and shutting down the run game.

Good showing in general today.

Edited by TPS

Why are you quoting a Grateful Dead song when describing today's Bills' game?

My thoughts:

1) EJ is very good and ball handling (minus the weird bobbling fumble) but he seems to do a very nice job of hiding the ball on playaction and read option plays

2) Manny Lawson is a good football player,

3) EJ still can't throw a deep ball down the sideline... Stevie was wide open all alone and the ball sailed over his head and out of bounds. Ej's accuracy is all towards the middle of the field.

4) Our fat guys whooped their fat guys most of the day

5) Scott Chandler has very good hands

6) Kiko (nuff said)

7) Hackett's short yardage packages drive me nuts - I never liked the bring all of humanity into the box and try to get through 18 bodies for one yard. Spread em out and sneak it up the middle

8) The secondary manned up today with great positioning on a lot of plays

Can't wait for Thursday

There were people calling and complaining about Leonhard a few times on WGR. I was confused. Sal pointed out that we only need 1 good year out of this guy, maybe next year and he will probably be falling apart in that time. But, for right now he has stepped up.

Promise, he's going to turn out as good. When Woods keeps developing, Goodwin comes back, and SJ13 does whatever it is that he needs to do he's going to really come out.

Offensive Rookie of the Year

That was his worst game as a Bill. I am cool with it...gotta just shrug it off. Count the loss and hope it was just a mental off day.

Game Balls:

Manny Lawson

Kiko Alonso

Robert Woods

Marcell Dareus

Jock Straps:

SJ13

Cordy Glenn

Did you see him stepping up as a leader? Correcting guys lineups? Motivating guys? Leading? If this guy keeps it up I want to look at this contract before it's too late.

Don't need the numbers on a day like today, just wish he would have busted one loose later in the game to really bang that drum setting the final tone. Of course it comes down to injuries and coaching that did not give him that opportunity.

He has got better every single game. If I get a chance on it I will break down what I saw, but don't want to steal your thunder. This game we did what we needed to - a few extra guys on the OL to throw Flacco off, sent KW in to wreck havoc and had MD just swallow the space up the middle folding the OL like a deck chair. The Balt OL tried to prevent KW from beating them opening space for Dareus. The primary blocker of Dareus was Oher, often times. Mario Williams was chipped many times and left with two blockers, which helps. Branch could have had a real coming out party if he could have stepped out. Carrington would have had a few sacks today, if he was in.

Colin Brown played a terrific game against a stout Balt DL. I guess thats what happens when you can wear down your defenders with the run blocking first.

He's a bonehead some times.

As long as we keep getting better and stop making these damn mistakes...see below...

What is your take on these freaking penalties? I wasn't watching Wood on the OL, but how did he give so many up? Critical times, too! What the frack.

My thoughts:

1) EJ is very good and ball handling (minus the weird bobbling fumble) but he seems to do a very nice job of hiding the ball on playaction and read option plays

His play fake, where he literally walked back after faking the handoff, then threw a great pass to the TE for the score was a thing of absolute beauty. ...until the TE tripped on the turf and fell.

His play fake, where he literally walked back after faking the handoff, then threw a great pass to the TE for the score was a thing of absolute beauty. ...until the TE tripped on the turf and fell.

That was such a great designed play, call, executed fake, etc. EJ did it perfect. That's a TD. But Lee Smith tackles himself. Stats are so misleading sometimes. EJ had several bad throws. But he still should have had 2-3 TDs.

pleasantly shocked by secondary play.

still wondering about the chandler catch review and rule. one foot on top of the other inbounds - shouldn't the bottom foot be considered an extension of the field?

overall too conservative offensive play calling in the second half especially the run on 3rd down in the 2nd to last series. a guy in the stands shown on tv mouthed the exact words i said at the time. the bomb try to woods was the exception but was pretty badly under thrown unfortunately. still, a good call

still, bills beat a talented team today.