A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Just watched the game on rewind

1) Defense won this game for us.

2) Bad calls taking points off the board and big gainers

3) When will get a defense that doesn't give up the conversion on 3rd and forever?

4) Cant wait till Byrd, Gilmore and Brooks are back

5) EJ is getting better

6) EJ needs to hold onto the ball better. Too many fumbles.

7) We need more OL to dictate the run and seal a victory. Was losing Levitre a mistake?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were three players who I have previously criticized but yesterday played very well. Next to Kiko Aaron Williams was the best defensive player in the game. He was responding to the ball as well as any Bills' DB I have seen in a long time. Not only was he covering well but he was plastering players all over the field. The knock on him was that he was too stiff of a player to play the corner position. That wasn't the case yesterday. He was quickly reacting to the play and was making adjustments on the fly.

The second player who up to this point has been a disappointment but yesterday played to a very high level was Dareus. On pass plays he was pushing the pile forward making the pocket passer move out of the pocket. He was also a stone wall against the run. If he can duplicate that type of forceful play instead of his too often lackluster play he would be the anchor player on the line.

Colin Brown has been without a doubt the worst starter on the team, that includes Rogers's CB play. Yesterday, he was far from being a standout player but he wasn't overwhelmed as he has been in the prior games. He didn't seem to be getting much push and creating seams but he did for the most part play the defensive player he was going against to a standoff. Maybe he wasn't a big asset on the line but he certainly wasn't a major liability in this game. His level of play was dramatically higher than in previous games.

Entering the season the record wasn't going to be the most important issue for this team. The critical issue is having your team, and especially the younger core players, improve as the season advances. Where a player such as Aaron Williams was faltering with the prior coaching staff he seems to be energized with this new coaching staff. Coaching does matter!

Edited by JohnC

Just watched the game on rewind

1) Defense won this game for us.

2) Bad calls taking points off the board and big gainers

3) When will get a defense that doesn't give up the conversion on 3rd and forever?

4) Cant wait till Byrd, Gilmore and Brooks are back

5) EJ is getting better

6) EJ needs to hold onto the ball better. Too many fumbles.

7) We need more OL to dictate the run and seal a victory. Was losing Levitre a mistake?

Maybe you can answer my question about Branch. Does he deserve kudos for the run defense performance?

Re Levitre, I'm in the camp that says you don't overpay for guards.

There were three players who I have previously criticized but yesterday played very well. Next to Kiko Aaron Williams was the best defensive player in the game. He was responding to the ball as well as any Bills' DB I have seen in a long time. Not only was he covering well but he was plastering players all over the field. The knock on him was that he was too stiff of a player to play the corner position. That wasn't the case yesterday. He was quickly reacting to the play and was making adjustments on the fly.

The second player who up to this point has been a disappointment but yesterday played to a very high level was Dareus. On pass plays he was pushing the pile forward making the pocket passer move out of the pocket. He was also a stone wall against the run. If he can duplicate that type of forceful play instead of his too often lackluster play he would be the anchor player on the line.

Colin Brown has been without a doubt the worst starter on the team, that includes Rogers's CB play. Yesterday, he was far from being a standout player but he wasn't overwhelmed as he has been in the prior games. He didn't seem to be getting much push and creating seams but he did for the most part play the defensive player he was going against to a standoff. Maybe he wasn't a big asset on the line but he certainly wasn't a major liability in this game. His level of play was dramatically higher than in previous games.

Entering the season the record wasn't going to be the most important issue for this team. The critical issue is having your team, and especially the younger core players, improve as the season advances. Where a player such as Aaron Williams was faltering with the prior coaching staff he seems to be energized with this new coaching staff. Coaching does matter!

Good post John. I must however admit that the record is not meaningless to me. It feels good to know that games still matter in terms of the division, even if this is fleeting.

As much as we and others complain, one good thing about being a Bills fan is the euphoric feeling we get when we actually do win a game. Seeing our top 3 picks play really well is something that I am unfamiliar with.

Let's make it 3-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His play fake, where he literally walked back after faking the handoff, then threw a great pass to the TE for the score was a thing of absolute beauty. ...until the TE tripped on the turf and fell.

It was so good that the tv announcer thought the play was blown dead....

Maybe you can answer my question about Branch. Does he deserve kudos for the run defense performance?

I didn't focus on Branch, but the run def. was very good. So I guess he did a good job. Didn't Rice only run 1 or 2 times in the second half?

I thought the D played a very good game, and the D-line was outstanding.

The Ravens barely even tried to run in the 2nd half.

Manuel played well, showed improvement which is what I am looking for with him.

I thought Spiller did not play well at all while he was in, FredEx was a beast.

SJ13 was at best a non-factor.

Hackett and Marone still have a long way to go. Hackett is still far too predicable and Marrone is still making bad mistakes. Turn down a penalty and have it become 3rd and 6???

These two need to step up their game in a big way.

The D clearly won this game for the Bills.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Good post John. I must however admit that the record is not meaningless to me. It feels good to know that games still matter in terms of the division, even if this is fleeting.

As much as we and others complain, one good thing about being a Bills fan is the euphoric feeling we get when we actually do win a game. Seeing our top 3 picks play really well is something that I am unfamiliar with.

Let's make it 3-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What has hurt this team more than one can imagine is the loss of Levitre. I'm sure you have noticed that the majority of run plays were run to the right side. There have been few screen or swing passes because the replacement guard isn't mobile enough to kick out to either side of a swing pass to the back. The player hurt the most by his departure is Spiller.The departure of Levitre not only resulted with a lesser player taking his line position but it had a dramatic effect on the most dynamic player on offense.

You are familiar my my position on Levitre and his contract situation. My issue wasn't letting him go because of his high salary stance. It was this front office not responding with a reasonable backup plan to replace him with a crebile player. The repercussions from his departure set the OL as a unit and the offense in general back more than people think.

If the organization would have similarly reacted to the Levitre contract situation to the way it handled the Wood contract situation maybe the outcome would have been different. Once the player gets to the point that he is close to being a free agent then the incentive is for the player to test the market.

I was at the game Sunday and just got home. So here are my comments:

GREAT play by the D. It feels so nice to have a DEFENSE again. It's been a looooooooooonnnnnnngggggg time.

Fred was awesome again. The 16 yard TD run was classic Fred.

EJ needs to take better care of the football. He fumbled twice and the second one could very well have cost us the game if not for SJ! Way to go SJ! Of the 2 picks one was on SJ for not catching and the other was like a punt.

TJ had a couple of great plays on the end around and pass he caught. But on that bomb he had not clue where the football was. It was a horrible pass, but on those long bombs which I keep hearing are his thing he can't even find the football, let alone catch it. A good WR would have at least come back and made a play on the football and maybe even caught it. We should throw more short slants to him where he has room to run and only send him long as a decoy from time to time.

Aaron Williams played great. He sucked the last 2 years but looks good this year. Coaching perhaps? A good pass rush is a DBs best friend too.

I really like this Woods kid. Looks like EJ has found a new favorite WR.

When Darues got his sacks, after the play they played "Mr. Big Stuff" on the loud speaker. Sweet. I love it.

We need a new punter. I hear Chris Kluwe is available.

I had a good Senator moment! In the head after the game others were predicting the record. A lot of 9-7s. 8-8s. 9-6 going into the NE game, etc. I said 17-2 and everyone laughed in a good way and agreed.

The Buffalo Philharmonic did a very nice job on the National Anthem.

The Syracuse Band was great at half time.

Great win and a fun trip.

Go BILLS !!

Edited by reddogblitz

I definitely think Branch had a big say in why our Run defense was so good. Kudos to him and hope he is a permanent fixture on that DL.

This part is the key. I don't expect them to go deep into the playoffs, or even make the playoffs. But if they finish the season strong, putting up multiple wins in a row, it will get them to think like winners. They need to expect to win EVERY game, and need to be thought of as a formidable team. I want them going into next season thinking of themselves as a powerhouse in the making.

This is a attainable achievement for this season.

This part is the key. I don't expect them to go deep into the playoffs, or even make the playoffs. But if they finish the season strong, putting up multiple wins in a row, it will get them to think like winners. They need to expect to win EVERY game, and need to be thought of as a formidable team. I want them going into next season thinking of themselves as a powerhouse in the making.

This is a attainable achievement for this season.

Considering that we were leading or down by 3 points or less entering the 4th quarter, I think this team has been competitive. If the Offense can show some consistency, that would be extremely good progress

You bet!

Now some of you know why I've been so critical of Jauron and his staff of clowns on offense for ruining two young QB's. So critical of Gailey early on, of Wannstooge. To me coaching is everything! Great to finally have a DC who knows what he is doing, and an OC who can change things up effectively. I have to wonder if Marrone helped Hackett with this weeks game plan against the Ravens, considering all the criticism and heat the young OC took for last week against the Jets.

Colin Brown did play better this game, and even better then CB Justin "toast" Rodgers, but that's not saying much. My offensive MVP, C Eric Wood, Haloti who? Defensive MVP, Kiko. Looking like Doug Whaley knows his stuff.

On another note which almost defies belief, 204 yards rushing for Buffalo, Baltimore with Ray Rice playing, 9 rushes for 24 yards? Joe Flacco throwing 50 passes in one game, along with 5 INT's....did the universe just split in two this Sunday? Did the Bills just beat up on last years super bowl winners?

You're kidding right? I certainly hope so because it couldn't have been more conclusive on both plays. Even the announcers got it right.

In this game when the head official reviewed the calls he got them right. I thought he officiated a well called game. His explanations were succinct and clear. The holding calls against Wood were damaging. When the plays were replayed it was clear that he held. One holding call was blatant and the other a little less so. The best you can ask for from the officials is to use good judgment and be consistent. I thought they were in this game.

I think the Woods TD was a good catch, and didn't see anything that could conclusively overturn the call on the field.

It was very clear to me that he had the ball trapped in his elbow and that it was still moving as he was going out of bounds. At best he had one foot in with control.

I guess we agree to disagree here.

Wow! This is a rather obscure song in terms of the Dead. :) And thanks!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really ;)

I like the song, for sure.

I would add in Woods being an absolute stud at WR for this team. I like the overall direction, and !@#$all if Byrd ever shows up. He's a bag of douche at this point.

It was very clear to me that he had the ball trapped in his elbow and that it was still moving as he was going out of bounds. At best he had one foot in with control.

Yeah. On replay it was clear there was no TD. Both the instant replays that went against the Bills were right. NEver seen the Chandler play before with one foot landing on the other.

Edited by John Adams

Yeah. On replay it was clear there was no TD. Both the instant replays that went against the Bills were right. NEver seen the Chandler play before with one foot landing on the other.

Either have I, that said, his foot was clearly in bounds and the play should have counted.

I might be wrong, but if his foot came down on top of someone else's leg in the field of play, it would have counted, no? Why should it be any different if it's his own leg?

Metaphysical question, perhaps.

I might be wrong, but if his foot came down on top of someone else's leg in the field of play, it would have counted, no? Why should it be any different if it's his own leg?

It's a great question...I have no idea what the answer is unless the rule states clearly that both feet must touch the ground...Which may very well be the rule...I don't know... B-)

I don't think it would have counted in that case either, much like if a runner rolls over a defender who is on the ground, they're not down until the relevant parts of their body touch the ground directly.

It's a great question...I have no idea what the answer is unless the rule states clearly that both feet must touch the ground...Which may very well be the rule...I don't know... B-)

The rule should be if the foot would have clearly come down inbounds when not impeded, it's a catch. So stupid that because the second foot didn't actually touch the ground it's incomplete.

As for the Woods call, if that's not a catch I don't know what is. Yes I understand the rules are clear but once again those are bad rules. And I've seen much worse examples of "bobbling" go as TDs.

Another rule that should be done away with is holding when the hold happens behind the play. Enough with the ticky tack crap.

Edited by No Cease Fires

To me, it appeared that he had it trapped in his elbow, that it was not moving, and that as he was getting the other foot down, he brought the ball down with his other hand. I think he could have just left it elbow, but naturally brought his other hand up to get it. I don't see how they had anything conclusive to overrule it.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Another rule that should be done away with is holding when the hold happens behind the play. Enough with the ticky tack crap.

That's one way soccer does it right. If there is a foul but the team still maintains advantage the play continues. And for things like offside, if the offside player doesn't get involved in the play, the play also continues.