A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14/15 I agree with Fouts EJ needs pocket awareness the Suggs strip was EJ's fault

There is a difference between being his fault and being careless with the ball. Yes, perhaps he should have sensed the rush. But those kinds of plays happen all the time, and there really wasnt a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He assumed that Glenn was pushing his guy wide. The guy reached in and knocked it out. He fumbled, so he has to take responsibility for it because it happened. But I wouldnt coach him to be different because of that play I don't think.

There is a difference between being his fault and being careless with the ball. Yes, perhaps he should have sensed the rush. But those kinds of plays happen all the time, and there really wasnt a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He assumed that Glenn was pushing his guy wide. The guy reached in and knocked it out. He fumbled, so he has to take responsibility for it because it happened. But I wouldnt coach him to be different because of that play I don't think.

Manuel has a habit of carrying the ball in one hand with his arm out wide. He needs to hold onto the ball better while scrambling/running. I'd also like to see his internal clock work a little better. At some point he's just got to throw the ball away and move on to the next play.

14/15 I agree with Fouts EJ needs pocket awareness the Suggs strip was EJ's fault

Yup. He should have thrown that ball away instead of putting it down like a loaf of bread. Also, he grossly under threw on 2 passes, and the one sure-TD was picked off cause he was still drifting out of the pocket. Rookie mistakes that will (hopefully) be corrected. With that said, I posted "win" in Boyst's thread about what we wanted the bills to do today. There were mistakes, and it wasn't perfect, but I'd much rather be 2-2 after defeating the champs than 1-3 right now.

That was such a great designed play, call, executed fake, etc. EJ did it perfect. That's a TD. But Lee Smith tackles himself. Stats are so misleading sometimes. EJ had several bad throws. But he still should have had 2-3 TDs.

That play made me think: can you imagine how great it will be for EJ if we ever get a stud tight end? He seems to thrive over the middle - a tight end would do wonders for this offense. I wonder if we could trade for one...

Not going to nitpick a great win against a solid team.

I would just say the offense finally put together three quarters of exciting football (3rd quarter was the same old repetitive crap). Overall, the playcalling on O was a bit repetitive, but the 3rd quarter was unwatchable.

The defense, overall, both at run stopping, pressuring and, amazingly, at the secondary, were above average and a joy to watch. When Pettine gets Byrd "I only play when I'm 100 percent", McK and Gilmore back, this D could actually be dominant.

When Hackett (hopefully) opens up the book, and when Manuel becomes able to hit the deep ball (he will), this offense could actually be a little above average.

A. Williams was a beast today. It's like they put something in his Wheaties. Alonso keeps on getting better. Kudos to Leonard and Searcy and the entire D line too.

Finally, I'd like someone to answer why we aren't using Easley at WR. From what I've seen, he's better than TJ, despite the couple of badass plays he made today.

Manuel has a habit of carrying the ball in one hand with his arm out wide. He needs to hold onto the ball better while scrambling/running. I'd also like to see his internal clock work a little better. At some point he's just got to throw the ball away and move on to the next play.

While I agree with that, all of that, it's very hard for a running/scrambling QB to not do that. Guys who are statues have it a little easier because they hold the ball around their chest all the time, and just get sacked when the rush comes. Guys who break out of the pocket or avoid the rush a lot, almost all hold it like that. I'm not defending it too much. He has to protect the ball better, and you're right, too many times he has it down and not secure. But he's not overly careless like some guys are (not counting the ridiculous just drop the ball fumble).

Yup. He should have thrown that ball away instead of putting it down like a loaf of bread.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but no one ever holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when "he's holding it like a loaf of bread."

That's my gripe with that play... tackles will get beat and sacks be had. But, EJ has twice had the ball stripped like that because he's carelss holding the ball back there. He's got to improve on that. And I'm sure he will.

That's my gripe with that play... tackles will get beat and sacks be had. But, EJ has twice had the ball stripped like that because he's carelss holding the ball back there. He's got to improve on that. And I'm sure he will.

He should try switching hands behind his back.

i like how garrison sanborn gets tackles on punts. Glad stevie crawled on all fours for that fumble, otherwise we wwould have lost that game. Dumb decision to not accept the penalty to leave it at 3rd and 7. Take the yards, we are lucky that Kiko intercepted the ball. Proud of our secondary getting all those picks with WRs playing corner. I want Byrd gone. John Harbaugh is a crying little B word when he loses. I didnt know you could demand a 5 minute caucus with referees because John doesnt like how games turning out. That was a cheap shot on Manuel.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but no one ever holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when "he's holding it like a loaf of bread."

My wife thinks I'm weird because I carry a loaf of bread with 3 points of contact in the store.

She's probably right ........

Aaron Williams has turned into a baller. I can't wait till he can return to safety and McLuvin and Gilmore are in the back. Who is Byrd? I bet they franchise him again and trade him. Maybe you don't get a first rounder for him but at this point a second looks pretty good relative to his contribution.

Great weekly post-game post as usual.

Think about this John: Searcy appears to be playing better for Leonhard at FS plays different than Tyrd. Leonhard plays over the top trying to cover anyone who gets loose and covers released TEs when all other players covered. Byrd played it as a ball hawk and tried to read QBs eyes. Searcy is a better match for Leonhard's playing style.

wrong - there was actually a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He held the ball very low at waist level like a loaf of bread instead of up at shoulder level in a throwing position, and Fouts called him out exactly for this. Watch the play again.

- Aaron Williams was a beast today

- Kiko what more can you say, as a rookie he looks like a 10 year veteran out there reading the QB

- I wish Spiller had Fred's vision

- Fred continues to be a solid contributor although he fumbled again

- Much better game for Hacket / Marrone

- Why can't we play well vs the Jets again?

What I did not like:

Our punting - A 29 yard punt when the game is on the line .....You are kidding me.

Stevie disappeared completely today

Our WRs need to tip-toe those catches on the sideline and end zone. The game may not have been this close, if the offense converts those turnovers.

TOO Many Penalties on offense All those holding calls were big killers especially in the 4th quarter. The offense needs to help out more for the ROOKIE Qb.

EJ continues to make mental mistakes. Hopefully, these are rookie growing pains and that he will learn from each one of them as he goes into the next game.

Our Run game was fantastic both on offense and defense.

The INTs made were not gimme interceptions; they were far more opportunistic

Dareus had a monster game. He stepped up when Williams was getting double-teamed

EJ was poised once again. Did not let the INT or Fumble keep him down. The strike to Woods was a beauty.

Time of Possession - This was huge. Allowed Defense to be

Edited by ganesh

wrong - there was actually a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He held the ball very low at waist level like a loaf of bread instead of up at shoulder level in a throwing position, and Fouts called him out exactly for this. Watch the play again.

I watched it, and yes he held it low. And he must be responsible for it because he fumbled. My point is that all running and scrambling QBs hold it low like that, and most all pocket QBs who rarely run don't because they don't pivot or start running or start rolling out. And that you have to take the good with the bad. Because if he held it up at his chest and shoulders it wouldn't be nearly as easy to escape, which he does a lot.

I'm just wondering when the heck you are going to finally put these thoughts in a particular order

I hope you are being sarcastic ...... right ?

i like how garrison sanborn gets tackles on punts. Glad stevie crawled on all fours for that fumble, otherwise we wwould have lost that game. Dumb decision to not accept the penalty to leave it at 3rd and 7. Take the yards, we are lucky that Kiko intercepted the ball. Proud of our secondary getting all those picks with WRs playing corner. I want Byrd gone. John Harbaugh is a crying little B word when he loses. I didnt know you could demand a 5 minute caucus with referees because John doesnt like how games turning out. That was a cheap shot on Manuel.

No to mention the clear cheap shot by Ihedigbo on T Choice - obvious to everyone except the refs..... :wallbash:

James Ihedigbo

Aaron Williams was predicted, at the draft, to be a top end Safety but Chan insisted to pay him out of position at corner. He was a good CB in college but does not have to cover skills to be a starting CB in the NFL. That said, he does well in spot duty. I like the guy and how he plays. The Offensive Line played a lot better this week after the clunker of last week. The Bills have to stop the bad penalties that kill big plays and drives. This draft will go down as one of the best for the Bills in the last 20 years (Ej, Kiko and Woods). Good to win a game that they were underdogs in, Made Baltimore's offense 1 dimensional. Kudos to the Defense.

Props to Dareus and, really the entire defense. I had major doubts about their ability to play a whole game and they did. I hope they can duplicate this effort on Thursday night. Really a well played defensive game. The offense? THEY WON.

Spiller was running better, that was nice to see

This kid Kiko is no joke, kudos to the scouting staff. 2 ints ? Really ? wow

Dareus looks like he learning when to make plays. We still need him to show up like this every game.

Can't wait to see the Bills D when they get everybody back. Really do the Ravens or Jets hit those deep balls if Gilmore is on the field?

I think that Kiko is tied for the league lead in INTs with Talib of the Pats with 4. Pretty sweet for a rookie MLB.

He's still young but Powell seems to be at his worst when you need him the most.

+1, +1. Powell simply is not able to get that killer punt when we need it. That 29yarder shank job was pretty lame.

Aaron Williams was predicted, at the draft, to be a top end Safety but Chan insisted to pay him out of position at corner. He was a good CB in college but does not have to cover skills to be a starting CB in the NFL. That said, he does well in spot duty. I like the guy and how he plays. The Offensive Line played a lot better this week after the clunker of last week. The Bills have to stop the bad penalties that kill big plays and drives. This draft will go down as one of the best for the Bills in the last 20 years (Ej, Kiko and Woods). Good to win a game that they were underdogs in, Made Baltimore's offense 1 dimensional. Kudos to the Defense.

Every time Williams played poorly in his first three years I was reminded of my very close friend who lives in Dallas, and is a HUGE Longhorns fan...When the Bills drafted Aaron he told me we were getting a difference maker...He absolutely LOVES Aaron Williams...My friend was surprised we were going to play him at CB though...He felt he was a Pro Bowl Safety waiting to happen...I think the move to Safety, and the Coaching Aaron has got here, has clearly brought his confidence back...He's always had the ability...Now he's relaxing out there and just playing...When and if we are ever at full strength in the secondary I expect Williams to really shine...I think he's just scratching the surface...I'm certain my friend believes the same... B-)

Every time Williams played poorly in his first three years I was reminded of my very close friend who lives in Dallas, and is a HUGE Longhorns fan...When the Bills drafted Aaron he told me we were getting a difference maker...He absolutely LOVES Aaron Williams...My friend was surprised we were going to play him at CB though...He felt he was a Pro Bowl Safety waiting to happen...I think the move to Safety, and the Coaching Aaron has got here, has clearly brought his confidence back...He's always had the ability...Now he's relaxing out there and just playing...When and if we are ever at full strength in the secondary I expect Williams to really shine...I think he's just scratching the surface...I'm certain my friend believes the same... B-)

Which is a good point, probably often missed. Confidence counts for a lot (in everything, not just football), and more so in a visible position like CB.

His play fake, where he literally walked back after faking the handoff, then threw a great pass to the TE for the score was a thing of absolute beauty. ...until the TE tripped on the turf and fell.

That play truly was awesome from EJ.

Being under center made a whale of a difference to the running and passing game. Kudos to Hackett for making the change and well done by our rookie QB for making that adjustment in 1 week. Don't overlook how impressive it is that EJ made the change in 1 week vs that defense. He's going to have ups and downs but a player who can do that has a long career ahead of him. And that ball fake where Smith fell? Awesome. At least 2-3 times yesterday, the camera and I didn't know who had the ball on running plays. Few QBs can fool the TV spotter. EJ will bust off a 60 yard TD before long on one of those.

Like Bill, Stevie Johnson has never been my favorite. A critical missed catch int. No big catches. His best play was a truly critical fumble recovery.

Offensive line still a work in progress. I wish they could find someone to trade Byrd for since he's not coming back.

Edited by John Adams

Being under center made a whale of a difference to the running and passing game. Kudos to Hackett for making the change and well done by our rookie QB for making that adjustment in 1 week. Don't overlook how impressive it is that EJ made the change in 1 week vs that defense. He's going to have ups and downs but a player who can do that has a long career ahead of him. And that ball fake where Smith fell? Awesome. At least 2-3 times yesterday, the camera and I didn't know who had the ball on running plays. Few QBs can fool the TV spotter. EJ will bust off a 60 yard TD before long on one of those.

This 100000000000x.....Bigtime reason our running game was awfull was the shotgun formation