Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

This whole damn team upsets me. Hughes has not done a damn thing in this league. Under the majority of the posters opinions here we should bring back merrimen and young. Both former first round picks right? Well if they were taking in the first round they have to be good. While we are at it, go grab Losman too. Super Bowl here we come. And if Nix is so damn good, then why is there any questions about Phillip Rivers in San Diego? He was there and helped bring him in to replace that crappy QB Drew Brees. One has a Super Bowl ring, the other

Dang, I really liked Shep. I'm all for the trade cause the front office and Pettine know a helluva lot more than I do, but ever since getting to know more about Shep when he was on the John Murphy show last year, he's been one of my favorites. The kid just loves the game of football and I respect that. Sad to see him go, but we gotta do what's best for the team.

Good luck, Shep!! Will miss ya, brother.

:lol:

Semi-productive? Kelvin Sheppard?... :huh:

This is a scheme trade...Sheppard was going to sit behind Alonso and Brandham anyway...The Bills pick up a former #1 Draft pick that fits the 3-4 much better...He'll give them depth at OLB, and insurance in case Mark Anderson continues to get hurt...If Pettine could get Aaron Maybin to actually look like an NFL player, I can't wait to see what he can do with a guy like Hughes who actually has some ability...

Getting upset about this deal is laughable...Obviously Pettine did not like Shep for his Defense...I do think this opens the door a bit for UDFA Keith Pough to grab a depth spot at ILB... B-)

I must have missed that. Maybin has NEVER looked like an NFL player.

GO BILLS!!!

But I thought Pettine was gonna make Shep a better player because it was all Wanny's fault that all of our LBs sucked last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Someone's a bit butthurt from a previous thread. People disagreed with you. Get over it.

I must have missed that. Maybin has NEVER looked like an NFL player.

GO BILLS!!!

Well...Point taken... ;)

But Pettine did get a hell of a lot more out of Maybin then the Bills ever did...Which admittedly is not saying much...If anything... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I actually had hoped to see what Pettine would do with Shepp. I thought he had some talent that maybe a real DC could use but if he felt they could do better, then that tells me all I need to know

Wanny or no Wanny, we didn't have ONE starting caliber LB on the squad last year. They were that bad, indvidually and as a group. I can't think of a single facet that ANY of them excelled at. I guess we can say Bradham was a good hitter but you have to be able get yourself in postion to hit someone in order to do that and he over-pursued like nobody's business.

GO BILLS!!!

But I thought Pettine was gonna make Shep a better player because it was all Wanny's fault that all of our LBs sucked last year.

GO BILLS!!!

If Wanny truly thought Shep was going to be a superstar at the position, it only further proves just how inept he is.

Wanny or no Wanny, we didn't have ONE starting caliber LB on the squad last year. They were that bad, indvidually and as a group. I can't think of a single facet that ANY of them excelled at. I guess we can say Bradham was a good hitter but you have to be able get yourself in postion to hit someone in order to do that and he over-pursued like nobody's business.

GO BILLS!!!

Any DC not named Wanny would have done SOMETHING to change things up -- not sit in the press box counting the days until his next paycheck.

Someone's a bit butthurt from a previous thread. People disagreed with you. Get over it.

Right. LOL. Give my regards to Team Sanctimonious.

GO BILLS!!!

Well...Point taken... ;)

But Pettine did get a hell of a lot more out of Maybin then the Bills ever did...Which admittedly is not saying much...If anything... B-)

True.

If Wanny truly thought Shep was going to be a superstar at the position, it only further proves just how inept he is.

Any DC not named Wanny would have done SOMETHING to change things up -- not sit in the press box counting the days until his next paycheck.

No need to revisit the issue. I'm just busting your chops, e. Good point about Wanny seeing something in Shep, though. A talent evaluator he is not.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Talked to a Colts buddy of mine guy never materialized to the hype. Hopefully he will do better in new scheme.

i know he was drafted into a cover 2 but didnt the colts steal ravens coordinators for the current staff? IE our systems are atleast cousins, if not closer. really i think this amounts to just getting some fresh faces around guys hoping they work.

As a Bills fan, I think we are going to be great every year. Win or lose I die hard with the Bills. I love this team. Even when I feel like we're really really bad...I still love this team. With that said, I AM EFFIN' LOVING WHAT'S GOING ON HERE! WOOO FREAKIN HOOO!!!

I LOVE IT!

:lol:

Semi-productive? Kelvin Sheppard?... :huh:

This is a scheme trade...Sheppard was going to sit behind Alonso and Brandham anyway...The Bills pick up a former #1 Draft pick that fits the 3-4 much better...He'll give them depth at OLB, and insurance in case Mark Anderson continues to get hurt...If Pettine could get Aaron Maybin to actually look like an NFL player, I can't wait to see what he can do with a guy like Hughes who actually has some ability...

Getting upset about this deal is laughable...Obviously Pettine did not like Shep for his Defense...I do think this opens the door a bit for UDFA Keith Pough to grab a depth spot at ILB... B-)

The trading of Sheppard had little to do with the scheme he played and the changing defensive scheme of the new regime. It was primarily due to the fact that Sheppard was an ineffectual LB. His instincts in diagnosing plays were dreadful. Usually the MLB is the most central player responding to the ball. Sheppard could not adequately respond to the ball and to the play. For a player playing the most visible position he was usually invisible.

When he was drafted I thought this former SEC player was going to be a good player. He had the physical makeup to play but he lacked the instincts required to play this very demanding position. The bottom line is this is another Nix high draft choice that hasn't worked out. Having to constantly go back and refill the hole that you thought you already had filled has kept this franchise muddling along.

I'm hoping that a change of scenery will prove beneficial to Sheppard and wish him the best.

That was his thing. Every time he got called for a foul and the player missed his shot Rasheed would yell that out. He received several technicals for it.

That is hilarious. I really had no idea. I just spent the last 6 minutes watching the "ball don't lie" montage on youtube. Some classic Rasheed Wallace moments there, including getting thrown out for staring at the ref.

A) I hope you're right - he can block field goals, but this is his year to prove he can do more than that. There have been flashes but that's it.

B) Well, yes, unless they fired Nix, which I am in favor of. But yes, better that they recognize a mistake than stubbornly dig in, I suppose.

Dude, what are you talking about?? There were multiple games last year Carrington was the best defensive lineman on the field for us...

Edited by matter2003

The Colts fans are pretty happy to be rid of Hughes and think that, in getting Sheppherd, that they got the better end of the deal by far:

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/4/29/4282826/colts-trade-jerry-hughes-to-bills-cementing-2010-draft-class-as-a-failure

this pick was one of the last straws that sank polian. hughes was a huuuuuge letdown for them.

to put it in perspective, he as an edge rusher - a position that has a huge premium - has played poorly enough that trading him for an interior lb that plays like shepherd made sense...

i like the move, as you may as well take a shot at change when things arent working.... but i wouldnt bank on seeing much out of him.

this pick was one of the last straws that sank polian. hughes was a huuuuuge letdown for them.

to put it in perspective, he as an edge rusher - a position that has a huge premium - has played poorly enough that trading him for an interior lb that plays like shepherd made sense...

i like the move, as you may as well take a shot at change when things arent working.... but i wouldnt bank on seeing much out of him.

I think this is just a no-risk move for both teams. Two guys with potentially some upside, need a change of scenery, and if they stayed probably would have been cut in any event.

Yep. This really reeks of a good trade for both teams getting bad players.

Lol, just remember, this IS the guy who even made "Mayhem" Maybin into a pretty effective player for a time when he was with the Jets...

The Colts fans are pretty happy to be rid of Hughes and think that, in getting Sheppherd, that they got the better end of the deal by far:

http://www.stampedeb...ss-as-a-failure

Yeah, I'm still bitter about that loss. Our team's last game with Peyton Manning at the helm was a loss to Mark friggin Sanchez in the playoffs. That's like losing a rock-paper-scissors game to a person with no hands.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

After listening to Buddy's interview on WGR, I think they see Alonso as the starter at MLB, pure and simple. If I'm right, the question becomes, what do they plan to do for depth? Roll with their band of "our talent's better than a lot of people say it is" nobodies? A Kirk Morrison-esque veteran depth signing?

Shephard was a bad fit for the defense they were running. I live in Indy and Hughes was brought in as a replacement for Freeney but injuries and a change of defenses left him out in the cold. Hughes needed a change of scenery. IMO he can bring 6 to 8 sacks if used correctly.

Dang, I really liked Shep. I'm all for the trade cause the front office and Pettine know a helluva lot more than I do, but ever since getting to know more about Shep when he was on the John Murphy show last year, he's been one of my favorites. The kid just loves the game of football and I respect that. Sad to see him go, but we gotta do what's best for the team.

Good luck, Shep!! Will miss ya, brother.

Miss what? He was absolutely horrible on the Bills for two seasons. The guy has no instincts or athletic ability. Don't know how he ever started at LSU. He made Poz look like the second coming of Dick Butkus. I would have traded him for a bag of footballs. Getting a guy w at least decent potential in Jerry Hughes is a coup on Buddy's part.

I love the player for player trade. Keeps things interesting. I don't know why the NFL doesn't do more of these with all the different schemes out there, some players do better in others. We'll see if it holds true for both of these guys.

Miss what? He was absolutely horrible on the Bills for two seasons. The guy has no instincts or athletic ability. Don't know how he ever started at LSU. He made Poz look like the second coming of Dick Butkus. I would have traded him for a bag of footballs. Getting a guy w at least decent potential in Jerry Hughes is a coup on Buddy's part.

Right-on. I got ripped many a time,bring up his weakness....Can`t shed a block ,slow ,won`t come up an fill a hole,weak upper body.On and On. Worst ILB Buffalo ever had.Well maybe.

1. This puts Anderson and his ridiculous contract on the bubble

2. Looks like a bust for bust, change of scenery/schemes move for both teams

3. We now have gaping hole at MLB. Dansby or Urlacher woudl be next great move.

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...

We don't have a gaping hole at MLB IMO. While I'd love to add dansby, I see Bradham and Alonso starting at ILB. And I'm eager to see how they do. Nice to have some fast Lbs that can cover and smack people.

This is a great move for the Bills.

Applaud this all the way!

It never hurts to get more Edge Rushers. Hughes is a hybrid player OLB/DE basically I guy that you can unleash to get to the QB. With Mario, Hughes, Kyle, & Dareus we know have 4/7 front 7 players that can play in, and have experience in both a 3-4 and 4-3. Throw in Kiko Alonso and you have 5/7 Hybrid players that can shift into unwelcome formations for opposing offenses. All really nice chess pieces.

On paper a great trade for the Bills. If Pettine can unlock his potential.

Shepp was never gonna contribute on this defense. He is slooooow and gets eaten up by blockers. Great character guy, I'm sure but not an NFL athlete.

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

No hard feelings against him, but fare thee well!!

Like so many bills past it was a case of arrested development.

I too saw things in the rookie that made me think... Ok this kids got potential. He showed signs of improvement initially with more snaps, like fitz, like moats, like Stevie johnson, like spiller, like Hairston, Wilson, Barnett, kelsey,

The difference was Stevie and cj keep getting better and better. The rest on the list stagnated.

I guess that's really what separates the best from the rest. The best always seem to get better until one day far into their career you realize they have finally lost a step and are now in decline. But you never even see it until you look retrospectively.

The bills are shedding the plateaued players one by one and looking for young fresh aggressive talent. Watch out darius, you may be next....

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood