Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

This is incredible. Are these really our Buffalo Bills? These guys aren’t messing around. Whether or not this pays off in the long run is obviously yet to be seen, but at least they are being proactive. Is this really the same team that started Keith Ellison a few years back?!?!

Edited by Juice_32

Also, until we hear differently from the Bills, I'll assume that Shep and Hughes don't play the same position in Pettine's D. Which means Hughes is a depth guy (b/c we know they signed Lawson to start at Sam and think big things of Bradham at Will, and Mario is presumably the Jack/rush backer), and one presumed starting spot is now vacant. I didn't really get the sense from the post-draft pressers that they see Alonso as a plug & play full-time starter at Mike, but maybe they do? Or maybe, as many others have mentioned, they had a breakthrough with Dansby? Or maybe...

"43 is the MIKE! 43 is the MIKE! Full time!"

Former 1st rounder for former 3rd rounder??? Winning. :thumbsup:

I really loved this dude at TCU. I liked the idea of Shep (former SEC MLB) but something seemed to be missing. Like other have said, a Dansby signing would knock this out of the part. Still, love the idea of the Bills not standing still with their roster.

while i am surprised, i don't know much about jerry hughes. can anyone shed some light on this guy?

was highly touted as a beast at TCU.....hasn't done much for the Colts, but not sure he has really played that much.

Mark Anderson insurance who can also be hybrid..........love the moves!

Neither one has played very well when they have seen action. I'm sure that Nix, and Whaley and Pettine liked his production in college and think they can coach him up, as well as seeing that Sheppard was just not very good. The Colts surely think the same thing about Hughes. The real interest to me is the lack of the inside thumper now. If this means Dansby, I'm thrilled with this trade. If it doesn't, I think we have a decent sized hole in the middle and I would expect Hughes to be a bust with a small hope that Pettine can use him right and his clear physical ability will translate here better than it did in Indy. I wouldn't count on it.

Love this move...Hughes is better suited for what Pettine wants to do. Good depth guy and rotational guy as a DE and OLB on obvious passing downs. Sheppard was too slow and didnt have fast enough instincts to overcome the lack of speed to be an impact player in the new D Pettine wants to run.

Its an even trade of guys with potential who just havent been able to put it all together yet on their old teams. However, it definitely helps us I think based on the personall we drafted, currently have, and what kind of D Pettine wants.

We are going to be fast and aggressive on both sides of the ball...finally.

Former 1st rounder for former 3rd rounder??? Winning. :thumbsup:

I really loved this dude at TCU. I liked the idea of Shep (former SEC MLB) but something seemed to be missing. Like other have said, a Dansby signing would knock this out of the part. Still, love the idea of the Bills not standing still with their roster.

Agreed, I loved this kid out of TCU but his production in Indy has not been great. With that being said, Shep never worked out here & I think Hughes has more potential to make an impact on Pettine's defense.

Both teams trading their busts. Hughes was a big disappointment for the Colts. But, the Bills have more of a need at 34 OLB, especially if Dansby is signed, so yay.

Dont think you can ever consider a 3rd round pick to be a "bust."

I don't see an immediate contribution from him but definitely someone we can plug in every once in awhile for added depth.

This is incredible. Are these really our Buffalo Bills? These guys aren’t messing around. Whether or not this pays off in the long run is obviously yet to be seen, but at least they are being proactive. Is this really the same team that started Keith Ellison a few years back?!?!

Keith Ellison .... wow, haven't heard that name in a while, got shivers when I read it.