Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

For what it's worth, which is pretty much peanuts, Jerry Hughes even with a first round contract, is making peanuts.

8/2/2010: Signed a five-year, $9.7 million contract. The deal contains $7 million guaranteed. Another $2.9 million is available through incentives. 2013: $870,000, 2014: $1.095 million,

So he's signed for two years, this year at 870K and next year at 1.1m. He may be able to hit some of the incentives but he likely won't play much, and we'd probably be thrilled to pay him those incentives because that means he played pretty good. I don't expect much out of him but I gave up on Shep for the most part, and Hughes has skills. This is all about Dansby for me.

Even though Hughes had Freeney and Mathis around him in Indy I still believe he's in a better situation here in Buffalo. We've got loads of talent on defense that should benefit Hughes greatly. Especially if we land Karlos. I was wondering where the Bills was going to find another pass rusher to compliment Mario. Here's to hoping Hughes is the one!

I like this trade simply because it was painful to watch Sheppard on the field

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

No hard feelings against him, but fare thee well!!

For what it's worth, which is pretty much peanuts, Jerry Hughes even with a first round contract, is making peanuts.

So he's signed for two years, this year at 870K and next year at 1.1m. He may be able to hit some of the incentives but he likely won't play much, and we'd probably be thrilled to pay him those incentives because that means he played pretty good. I don't expect much out of him but I gave up on Shep for the most part, and Hughes has skills. This is all about Dansby for me.

This is what I was wondering--what's the net cap hit? It appears pretty small.

You know, I have been biting my tongue to say the same thing for the last few years. I never got the "Shep is the answer" crowd (who included Wanny). The guy seemed slow and took bad angles.

In two years I can only think of one memorable (positive) play -- Shep hitting Vick up the middle, forcing a Wilson pick 6. That's just not enough from your starting MLB.

I was excited about him and his potential, and wanted him on the field and pulled for him, but he simply never looked good on gameday, wasn't fast to the ball, was really bad shedding blocks, etc. Granted, he got crappy play in front of him, but he never showed game speed, which is why I think Pettine went a different route.

In two years I can only think of one memorable (positive) play -- Shep hitting Vick up the middle, forcing a Wilson pick 6. That's just not enough from your starting MLB.

I call fraud! What'd you do with eball and where's his avatar??

1. This puts Anderson and his ridiculous contract on the bubble

2. Looks like a bust for bust, change of scenery/schemes move for both teams

3. We now have gaping hole at MLB. Dansby or Urlacher woudl be next great move.

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...

This is an odd one.

The Bills traded from their weakest position (granted for another LB). Put another way, another team just traded for one of the Bills' linebackers! That blows my mind.

What also makes it odd is that the Bills didn't address that inside spot in the draft, unless that's where they're gonna put Kiko? So now we've just created a post-draft roster hole. And I don't think this has anything to do with Dansby - Dansby's leverage just went UP. If this were about him, they would've signed him before making this trade.

Finally, didn't the Colts also trade for John McCargo (only to send him back when he failed his physical)? Why do they keep trading for our busts?

Again: this one is weird.

I can think of a few more, and I always thought he got an unfair rap, but I'm behind any defensive moves since I have no idea what Pettine will be running, and can't even begin to guess.

Glad we were able to flip our 3rd round prospect for a 1st round prospect. Moving forward.

1. This puts Anderson and his ridiculous contract on the bubble Not really, we just went from having 2 DE/OLBs to 3 DE/OLBs. Not exactly stocked.

2. Looks like a bust for bust, change of scenery/schemes move for both teams. True, and weird.

3. We now have gaping hole at MLB. Dansby or Urlacher woudl be next great move.

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...I'd say the same for anyone mentioning Urlacher :nana:

This is an odd one.

The Bills traded from their weakest position (granted for another LB). Put another way, another team just traded for one of the Bills' linebackers! That blows my mind.

What also makes it odd is that the Bills didn't address that inside spot in the draft, unless that's where they're gonna put Kiko? So now we've just created a post-draft roster hole. And I don't think this has anything to do with Dansby - Dansby's leverage just went UP. If this were about him, they would've signed him before making this trade.

Finally, didn't the Colts also trade for John McCargo (only to send him back when he failed his physical)? Why do they keep trading for our busts?

Again: this one is weird.

Kiko is going to play inside from all I have seen, yes. Although part of his appeal is that he can play everywhere, in either a 4-3 or 3-4. I have to believe there is a plan and it includes Dansby or another ILB. I would imagine that when the coaches met post draft and looked at the roster, they just came to the conclusion about certain things.

Players' success has so much to with scheme, this has the potential to be a win-win for both Indy and the Bills. As others have said, I love the proactivity. 48 hours out of the draft, and they're still tinkering.

Shep was Gaileys guy, he fell in love with him when he coached the Senior Bowl because of his leadership skills. $@!& leadership and get a MLB that can shed blocks and tackle. Shep was the perfect example of weighing character over physical skills.

Agreed, I loved this kid out of TCU but his production in Indy has not been great. With that being said, Shep never worked out here & I think Hughes has more potential to make an impact on Pettine's defense.

Isn't Pettine the guy who managed to get some production out of Aaron Maybin?

I for one would live Urlacher at MLB. Leader and good guy to transition to a young guy that's drafted in 2014. Granted I'd only want him for 2 years.

Thanks for the morning laugh!

lol. I don't catch that till u saw it. Ty for that.

I for one would live Urlacher at MLB. Leader and good guy to transition to a young guy that's drafted in 2014. Granted I'd only want him for 2 years.

We probably wouldnt even get 4 games out of him. He'd be eating our cap space while on IR and posters would be bitching about Buddy over it.

We probably wouldnt even get 4 games out of him. He'd be eating our cap space while on IR and posters would be bitching about Buddy over it.

if we don't make a play for anyone else. Of be ok with it. Maybe Dansby is in the picture still too. Who knows. For once though, in the last 3 coaches, this feels like a complete rebuild. I love it.

That 2011 draft keeps getting better and better. :devil:

Yes, it's a shame when your coaching staff asks for a certain type of player, then can't find a way to utilize that player's strengths. It also sucks when the player just isn't as good as you thought he would be, or the coaching staff decides to switch defensive philosophies in consecutive years.

That said, Marrone and Pettine have clearly given Buddy the blueprint for the players they do and don't want, and he's wasting no time making the changes.

The real interest to me is the lack of the inside thumper now. If this means Dansby, I'm thrilled with this trade.

I can't imagine how it couldn't be setting the table for Dansby's arrival.

Someone needs to camp out at the airport and provide real-time updates...

The Bills are now lacking depth at ILB so one would think that K. Dansby might be their next move. I love it that the Bills are finally being proactive in going after players that fit their schemes. What it means is that they think they can win now.

i think they think they can compete for a playoff spot. But at the same time are completely rebuilding while doing it. Getting rid of the losing attitudes and bringing in fast, fiery, hungry guys.

That 2011 draft keeps getting better and better. :devil:

Actually, if you're just going to B word about Buddy and his draft picks, and used this example of its failure, and since it was a straight player for player trade, we now have Jerry Hughes from the 2011 draft. We'll have to see how he pans out this year.

Not that I think it was a good draft. :nana:

I can't imagine how it couldn't be setting the table for Dansby's arrival.

Someone needs to camp out at the airport and provide real-time updates...

The more I think about it, the more I think that Dansby's not coming. Maybe that's just pessimism, but if Shep's expendability was contingent on signing Dansby, the Bills probably would've waited till they inked a deal before making the trade. Announcing a trade doesn't help their leverage in contract negotiations with Dansby.

I think they've decided that Alonso is their starting MLB. But what I don't have a guess about is what they plan to do depth-wise. Assuming Alonso is the penciled-in starter at Mike, the top backup is... Chris White? Am I missing anyone? I doubt they're planning on rolling into camp 2-deep at MLB.

Update: Just took a quick look at the updated roster on buffalobills.com, and FWIW, Chris White's position is listed as "OLB", as are Moats' and Scott's. The remaining LBs on the roster are undrafted FAs from this year or practice squad-type guys from last year, like Greg Lloyd Jr. Most of them, size-wise, fit the profile of OLBs more than MLB/ILBs.

I would think that the Bills are definitely planning to add another experienced MLB type or two, but then again, they are apparently planning on replacing Levitre with Colin Brown or David Snow.

Edited by Cash

The more I think about it, the more I think that Dansby's not coming. Maybe that's just pessimism, but if Shep's expendability was contingent on signing Dansby, the Bills probably would've waited till they inked a deal before making the trade. Announcing a trade doesn't help their leverage in contract negotiations with Dansby.

I think they've decided that Alonso is their starting MLB. But what I don't have a guess about is what they plan to do depth-wise. Assuming Alonso is the penciled-in starter at Mike, the top backup is... Chris White? Am I missing anyone? I doubt they're planning on rolling into camp 2-deep at MLB.

Maybe they have the deal worked out with Dansby and are just waiting for bashing out details/final signature before announcing spa Kolb.

Dansby might like that we got rid of Shep, in terms of guaranteed playing time.

Maybe the Colts came to the Bills with the offer, and the inner circle discussed it and decided to pay the extra money Dansby wanted to get the combination of Dansby and Hughes. Maybe in the coaches meetings post draft they decided they needed another edge rusher they didn't draft, and decided that maybe it was now the time to get Dansby and an edge guy. Maybe sometime today, Dansby's agent called and said, lets work this thing out when he wasn't getting post draft offers he was hoping for.

You may be right. But there are all kinds of scenarios here. The one, to me, that's hardest to believe, is trading one of the only real middle LBers we have on the entire roster without a back-up plan. Even with Shep we didn't have enough.