Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

I like this move simply because we won't be playing Shep. Good guy, hopefully he fits in well in the new system, but I like this move. More time for Kiko on the field.

My thoughts exactly ... the first play Jerry Hughes makes for the Bills will tie him with Kelvin Sheppard for 1 each. The only play I remember #55 making in his entire 2-year run in Buffalo is the opening coverage sack he had vs. Seattle when he went unblocked.

I barely ever remember Sheppard being anywhere near the play, and saw him dancing with blockers often. You just can't have that from your MLB and be any good on D. Hughes is simply a bonus, as I would have been happy if they just cut Sheppard outright. Now if we sign Dansby, I will send Buddy Nix a fruit basket and a box of chocolates.

Just - again, this one bothers me. I guess kudos to Nix for realizing he made a mistake but let's not forget how we got here. They let Poz walk in part because they were switching schemes and in part because they were fairly confident they could replace him with a draft pick. Then they burn a 3rd round pick on Shephard after Gailey spent the Senior Bowl with him, and we were told amazing tales of his leadership, instincts, and fit. Two years later we're dealing him for a bust, and we have no replacement for him on the roster. I get it that they've changed schemes (again), but that doesn't fully answer the question to me, esp. because Pettine prefers a hybrid front. How many mistakes is this group of talent evaluators going to be allowed to make? They keep "fixing" the problems that they created and the result is the perpetual running in place that we've all seen.

I just don't get why anyone is happy about this move. The same group of clowns who drafted this guy is now sending him packing.

3rd round picks under Nix: Carrington, Shephard, TJ Graham. Goodwin is on notice...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Just - again, this one bothers me. I guess kudos to Nix for realizing he made a mistake but let's not forget how we got here. They let Poz walk in part because they were switching schemes and in part because they were fairly confident they could replace him with a draft pick. Then they burn a 3rd round pick on Shepherd after Gailey spent the Senior Bowl with him, and we were told amazing tales of his leadership, instincts, and fit. Two years later we're dealing him for a bust, and we have no replacement for him on the roster. I get it that they've changed schemes (again), but that doesn't fully answer the question to me, esp. because Pettine prefers a hybrid front. How many mistakes is this group of talent evaluators going to be allowed to make? They keep "fixing" the problems that they created and the result is the perpetual running in place that we've all seen.

I just don't get why anyone is happy about this move. The same group of clowns who drafted this guy is now sending him packing.

The reason posters are happy with this move is simple... Shepherd sucked in any scheme

Maybe this means Takeo will be signed for depth

After watching the draft this past week, Shep clearly didn't fit what the Bills are after.

Not only has he struggled to make plays in his time here, but he doesn't give you scheme diversity, and he doesn't have the speed that was so desperately coveted in the draft.

Could the replacement be Dansby? Maybe.

If not, I would expect the replacement to look a lot like someone with coverage skills, blitz skills, and speed.

According to Wiki, Hughes speed in the 40yd was 4.56. He may well be Shep's replacement and there is no Dansby.

Edited by Joe Miner

Just - again, this one bothers me. I guess kudos to Nix for realizing he made a mistake but let's not forget how we got here. They let Poz walk in part because they were switching schemes and in part because they were fairly confident they could replace him with a draft pick. Then they burn a 3rd round pick on Shephard after Gailey spent the Senior Bowl with him, and we were told amazing tales of his leadership, instincts, and fit. Two years later we're dealing him for a bust, and we have no replacement for him on the roster. I get it that they've changed schemes (again), but that doesn't fully answer the question to me, esp. because Pettine prefers a hybrid front. How many mistakes is this group of talent evaluators going to be allowed to make? They keep "fixing" the problems that they created and the result is the perpetual running in place that we've all seen.

3rd round picks under Nix: Carrington, Shephard, TJ Graham. Goodwin is on notice...

I hear what you're saying. But to me, in retrospect, Nix made the mistake of hiring Chan in the first place (although there was no one better who may have been willing to take the job then). Chan then hiring George Edwards (obviously with Nix's approval) and an ill-fated switch to the 3-4 inarguably led to the Troup and Carrington picks, amongst others. Edwards clearly being over his head made Chan and Nix hire Wanny. That led to a different kind of defense. That was a colossal failure, which led to Chan being fired and Marrone hired and his choice of Pettine, which now leads to a complete new scheme, the third in four years (Nix's entire time).

Marrone and Pettine, with Nix and Whaley, are trying to fix the major blunder that was Chan and his defenses/coordinators. Nix gets a large share of the blame for his complicity as well as not great picks. But I don't at all mind blowing it up and getting different guys to play for a coach with good credentials in Pettine.

Actually, if you're just going to B word about Buddy and his draft picks, and used this example of its failure, and since it was a straight player for player trade, we now have Jerry Hughes from the 2011 draft. We'll have to see how he pans out this year.

Not that I think it was a good draft. :nana:

That the same guy is in charge making personnel decisions this off-season whose draft picks two years ago are being traded (Sheppard) or changing positions (Aaron Williams) should be alarming. I recognize there's a new coaching staff in place, but we have the new team president telling us the GM still makes the calls. And his calls haven't been all that great, particularly in rounds 2-4.

I hear what you're saying. But to me, in retrospect, Nix made the mistake of hiring Chan in the first place (although there was no one better who may have been willing to take the job then). Chan then hiring George Edwards (obviously with Nix's approval) and an ill-fated switch to the 3-4 inarguably led to the Troup and Carrington picks, amongst others. Edwards clearly being over his head made Chan and Nix hire Wanny. That led to a different kind of defense. That was a colossal failure, which led to Chan being fired and Marrone hired and his choice of Pettine, which now leads to a complete new scheme, the third in four years (Nix's entire time).

Marrone and Pettine, with Nix and Whaley, are trying to fix the major blunder that was Chan and his defenses/coordinators. Nix gets a large share of the blame for his complicity as well as not great picks. But I don't at all mind blowing it up and getting different guys to play for a coach with good credentials in Pettine.

Well said -- all around.

That the same guy is in charge making personnel decisions this off-season whose draft picks two years ago are being traded (Sheppard) or changing positions (Aaron Williams) should be alarming. I recognize there's a new coaching staff in place, but we have the new team president telling us the GM still makes the calls. And his calls haven't been all that great, particularly in rounds 2-4.

Yet, he's flipping a former 3rd round pick for a former 1st rounder of the great Bill Polian. Genius.

• Like (+1) 1

When can we trade Nix? Oh yeah, he is another Tebow. Nix is so great, he over paid Fitzmoney and Kelsey. Maybe next year he will offer lindell a 10 million dollar salary to keep him on the team. He probably will have to draft another qb with the first overall pick in the 2014 draft as well. This team is just retarded.

The same group of clowns who drafted this guy is now sending him packing.

I think it's a bit unfair to depict the Colts FO in this way. They are trying just like every other team to add good football players to their team.

if we don't make a play for anyone else. Of be ok with it. Maybe Dansby is in the picture still too. Who knows. For once though, in the last 3 coaches, this feels like a complete rebuild. I love it.

Funny thing is that they keep saying we arent in rebuild mode... Yet it wouldnt surprise me to see the final roster have a 50% turnover from 2012.

The real shocker for me was that Shep had started 24 games... Each and every time I saw him play he looked and felt like a project player that was 3rd on the depth chart and had been called up due to injuries... But alas... Guy was a liability and we got rid of him, we'll see if we got anything in return.

Edited by bladiebla

Yet, he's flipping a former 3rd round pick for a former 1st rounder of the great Bill Polian. Genius.

To be fair, Polian was sent packing, Nix wasn't.

As Kelly said, I am at least happy to see them blowing up what we all know wasn't working - but I don't yet have the confidence that they can build something better than the last try.

A.) There is nothing wrong with Carrington.

B.) File yours under damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I understand your logic, I just think the calories burned to arrive at your conclusion don't warrant a critique of a player who was bound to be critiqued to death, anyways.

.. I get it that they've changed schemes (again), but that doesn't fully answer the question to me, esp. because Pettine prefers a hybrid front. How many mistakes is this group of talent evaluators going to be allowed to make? They keep "fixing" the problems that they created and the result is the perpetual running in place that we've all seen.

You had with a good rant til the last line. Carrington has developed well in spite of ever changing assignments. TJ is a WR coming off his rookie season. Goodwin hasn't played a down.

A.) There is nothing wrong with Carrington.

B.) File yours under damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I understand your logic, I just think the calories burned to arrive at your conclusion don't warrant a critique of a player who was bound to be critiqued to death, anyways.

A) I hope you're right - he can block field goals, but this is his year to prove he can do more than that. There have been flashes but that's it.

B) Well, yes, unless they fired Nix, which I am in favor of. But yes, better that they recognize a mistake than stubbornly dig in, I suppose.

When can we trade Nix? Oh yeah, he is another Tebow. Nix is so great, he over paid Fitzmoney and Kelsey. Maybe next year he will offer lindell a 10 million dollar salary to keep him on the team. He probably will have to draft another qb with the first overall pick in the 2014 draft as well. This team is just retarded.

This is the move that upsets you?

It seems Nix his style is getting players per request of his coach and it is widely known that Shep was a Gailey guy. I'm trying to say is that i'm not so sure that the group you want to be held accountable is still here.

Reason we're happy is that we got rid of what clearly was a bust for us, the guy had 24 starts and not made a good impression once...

I am wondering if the new coaches liked what they saw albeit very little from Chris White. He was drafted because he had such good anticipation anf Flew to the ball as I remembered . Was on IR first year played mostly special teams last year. Maybe he and Bradham in the middle.

Great. Trade a semi productive guy for a bust. Just great. This team is getting stupid. If they don't make the playoffs, screw it.

:lol:

Semi-productive? Kelvin Sheppard?... :huh:

This is a scheme trade...Sheppard was going to sit behind Alonso and Brandham anyway...The Bills pick up a former #1 Draft pick that fits the 3-4 much better...He'll give them depth at OLB, and insurance in case Mark Anderson continues to get hurt...If Pettine could get Aaron Maybin to actually look like an NFL player, I can't wait to see what he can do with a guy like Hughes who actually has some ability...

Getting upset about this deal is laughable...Obviously Pettine did not like Shep for his Defense...I do think this opens the door a bit for UDFA Keith Pough to grab a depth spot at ILB... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Tape don't lie. Pettine saw slow and weak just like we did. That leaves only one starting LB from last year and he's switching positions. Hope these new guys pan out but there's a lot to be said for knowing you can't do it with the same guys that aren't that good.

GO BILLS!!!

Shep was a big Wanny favorite -- so this is not a big surprise, given the lack of production at the position.

I certainly like the way these Bills are being proactive.

But I thought Pettine was gonna make Shep a better player because it was all Wanny's fault that all of our LBs sucked last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Tape don't lie. Pettine saw slow and weak just like we did. That leaves only one starting LB from last year and he's switching positions. Hope these new guys pan out but there's a lot to be said for knowing you can't do it with the same guys that aren't that good.

GO BILLS!!!

Ball don't lie!

But I thought Pettine was gonna make Shep a better player because it was all Wanny's fault that all of our LBs sucked last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, if Wanny had Jerry Hughes we would have made the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!

I actually had hoped to see what Pettine would do with Shepp. I thought he had some talent that maybe a real DC could use but if he felt they could do better, then that tells me all I need to know