Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

I actually think Philly may have jumped us if we pressed our luck and traded down too many slots in the 1st. Then we would have panicked and taken Nassib super early- we all know how that is playing out. I'm glad we didn't gamble further and got our guy. Let it play out, peeps

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could've traded back a bit further probably and taken him at the end of the 1st round and gathered up more picks. This was a boneheaded pick if you ask me. This guy's not even ready to start day 1 and had other needs that could've contributed in his first year.

49ers were right there willing to trade up for Eric Reid and could've been an ideal trade partner. Drafting Manuel near the end of the 1st round wouldn't have been as bad.

That was a panic move if I ever saw one. Don't think any team would've traded back into the 1st for EJ Manuel. Just didn't see it happening.

Not all picks are about this year. We are not winning the Superbowl this year. You can't fix eveything in one draft.

I actually think Philly may have jumped us if we pressed our luck and traded down too many slots in the 1st. Then we would have panicked and taken Nassib super early- we all know how that is playing out. I'm glad we didn't gamble further and got our guy. Let it play out, peeps

At 31 (SF): The Pats would have GLADLY handed Philly #29 to let them jump us and F the Bills. I thought we may have had a shot to go 16 to 25 (Vikes)

We could've traded back a bit further probably and taken him at the end of the 1st round and gathered up more picks. This was a boneheaded pick if you ask me. This guy's not even ready to start day 1 and had other needs that could've contributed in his first year.

49ers were right there willing to trade up for Eric Reid and could've been an ideal trade partner. Drafting Manuel near the end of the 1st round wouldn't have been as bad.

That was a panic move if I ever saw one. Don't think any team would've traded back into the 1st for EJ Manuel. Just didn't see it happening.i

Ask Aaron Rogers about being a 1st-round QB and not starting right away. What amazes me is that people will not give out players a chance to develop or our coaches a chance to ply their trade before they write players off.

That was a panic move if I ever saw one. Don't think any team would've traded back into the 1st for EJ Manuel. Just didn't see it happening.

They got an extra second and a 7th while also getting the QB they wanted. I get what ur saying but can't really complain about that outcome especially when it was obvious the Eagles were high on him

The read option is in vogue right now in the NFL, and EJ is another Cam Newton only without the bad history and short amount of college playing time. This kid is squeaky clean, has his mom right next to him on the podium and looks to have a strong family values. So he is NOT a Cam Newton, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell type.

That said, EJ is not ready to be a Fitz type pocket QB as he has so much to learn. The NFL nomenclature, reading NFL defenses, setting line protections. It might take a year or more of development before he sits in the pocket and goes thru his progressions without running after the first read is not there.

IMO The Bills will setup a read option for EJ and let him work that style of offense while he learns the NFL pro style.

BTW, No other team but the Jets took a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds except Mike Glennon to the Buc's. Not Arizona, Oakland, Philly, Jacksonville, Cleveland. So taking EJ at #16....

"Manuel needs lots of time to grow into a quarterback. Right now, he's an athlete playing quarterback. He needs to go to a team with a stable front office and coaching situation where he can develop at a slower pace. He can't run a NFL offense right now without significantly watering down the offense, or tailoring the offense the way Fisher did at Florida State. While Manuel is ultra-smart, there's a difference between studying and making decisions at NFL speeds, and Manuel needs help with the latter. A team that takes Manuel needs to have a long-term development plan. A team that does so could have a quarterback like Colin Kaepernick... or, if they rush him to the field, Tim Tebow."

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/4/21/4234106/ej-manuel-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report

It was clearly a panic move. Last year Buddy blew it by not selecting a QB and this year he was desperate. They picked a couple players a round too early. The draft is not just about selecting players, but managing where and when you select them. How soon will Nix be leaving?

Nah,

that would be like the dude who wins some money gambling, doesn't know when to stop, and ends up giving it all back plus all of his own and ends up broke...no need to try and be greedy. If that's their guy, then take him...

Edited by matter2003

They got an extra second and a 7th while also getting the QB they wanted. I get what ur saying but can't really complain about that outcome especially when it was obvious the Eagles were high on him

Really? Did they even take a QB thru rounds 3. No!

I can see why the Bills wanted EJ, I just happen to think they drafted him way to early considering nassib and barkley are STILL on the board at round 4.jeez

Its tough to fight panic when you get old :lol:

Edited by FeartheLosing

At 31 (SF): The Pats would have GLADLY handed Philly #29 to let them jump us and F the Bills. I thought we may have had a shot to go 16 to 25 (Vikes)

I wish there was a "mandatory reading" page that popped up right after login here. Like a software license, you can't click "continue" until you at least scroll throught the whole thing.

This would be #1 on that list.

I got really excited back in 2004 when we drafted JP. I found myself rooting for the kid to succeed and I was really bummed when he didn't pan out. It's been that long since I've been this excited about the future of the QB position, and I'm finding it really hard to find a single thing about EJ that I don't like. Each criticism I've heard I've researched to see what others have said about it, and it's really resulted in my having quite a lot of optimism and confidence early on in this pick. I'm finding myself really rooting for him, just as I did with JP nine years ago. He says he's ready to get to work and I believe him.

NIx said in the interview posted to Buffalobills.com that they had a chance to trade down from 16 but passed on it to be sure they got EJ. No specification as to who the trade was to be with or what the bills would have received in return for the 16th pick.

The concern was with Chip Kelly at Philadelphia. He heavily recruited him to Oregon. He has the skill set to fit his system. The belief is he would have drafted him in the 2nd round or possibly traded to a reachable point in the first round to select him.

Really? Did they even take a QB thru rounds 3. No!

I can see why the Bills wanted EJ, I just happen to think they drafted him way to early considering nassib and barkley are STILL on the board at round 4.jeez

Its tough to fight panic when you get old :lol:

You are treating every qb as if they were the same. Perhaps the reason they didn't take a qb is because ej was the only one they liked. Just because they didn't take a qb doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken ej

It was clearly a panic move. Last year Buddy blew it by not selecting a QB and this year he was desperate. They picked a couple players a round too early. The draft is not just about selecting players, but managing where and when you select them. How soon will Nix be leaving?

not soon enough

The concern was with Chip Kelly at Philadelphia. He heavily recruited him to Oregon. He has the skill set to fit his system. The belief is he would have drafted him in the 2nd round or possibly traded to a reachable point in the first round to select him.

Don't come around here with your "reasonable speculation." I got my torches and pitchforks ready to storm the gates at OBD!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are treating every qb as if they were the same. Perhaps the reason they didn't take a qb is because ej was the only one they liked. Just because they didn't take a qb doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken ej

Yeah right, all the teams wanted the 5th rated QB in the draft...

Seriously, I like the player, just not where he was picked. This team still has way to many holes to be selecting a developmental QB in the first round. EJ just might need to sit for a year.

Seriously, I like the player, just not where he was picked. This team still has way to many holes to be selecting a developmental QB in the first round. EJ just might need to sit for a year.

Ratings? Don't you think that ratings on this draft class should be thrown out the window by now considering what's happened in these first three rounds? I think the media and fans are very confused after what they've been hearing these last few months.

The EJ Manuel draft pick reminds me of what a successful professional organization like the Giants would do if they were in the Bills situation. Pick the prototypical QB who's very smart, has the big arm, has great athletic ability, and the one who has the highest ceiling. Then let your coaches do their thing and coach him up and into a becoming franchise QB.

So a game where the defense can't blitz and can only run one front is his biggest game? Really?

I would disagree and say the last game of his Senior year against his biggest rival, Florida, in Talley was just a bit bigger. UF came in ranked #4 and If FSU, who only had one loss, wins that game they leap frog everybody and only need a loss by ND to possibly get into the championship game. EJ choked.

EJ's line? 3 ints and a fumble. That's his biggest game of his career and everybody watching has seen this act from EJ in big games before. The talent on FSU is enough to beat anybody in the country but their QB could never put them on his back and win a game by himself (See NCst game).

I'm not rooting for him to fail but I think this pick is another in a long line of gaffs by this joke of a FO headed by king moron Buddy Nix.

FWIW, I loved the Marone pick and defended him. I can't do the same with EJ.

you mean the senior bowl where nassib couldn't complete a 2 yard pass and then threw and INT and now is still waiting to have his name called?

your 'hating' is a little extreme here. heres to you being dead wrong again.............jimmy claussen fan.

5th rated by whom? The same people that had Sharrif Floydd as the best DT or Eddie Lacey as the top R/B?

Just because you read it online or some dude with gelled up hair and a nice suit told you it was so. DOESN'T ACTUALLY MEAN ANYTHING!

Clearly he was not the 5th rated QB on the Bills board. No other QBs were taken so they got their guy.

And who are the other QBs on the board rated higher EJ? Barkley and Nassib? That is not how the draft is playing out.

OBD did a nice job. Got some extra picks, didn't get too cute by trading down again. And selected the #1 QB on their board. Going into the draft I was not focused on EJ. I would have been fine with Barkley or Nassib - at the 8th or even 16th pick.. That sure looks foolish now. They were rated in the top 5 of all mock draft boards that I saw. Nix didn't trade back again and have to select the 2nd QB off the board and then claim, ".... he was our guy all along." We wouldn't have believed him and we would have been screaming that Nix screwed us again.

Well played Buddy. But OBD has no excuses now. You got the guy you wanted. Now we'll see if the coaching staff is as good as they claim.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

There were those who yelled " if you like the guy take him at 8 "

They found THE guy and gained picks.

Then give him 2 WRs to throw to that were a need position. Oh and a linebacker who could replace Shepp and a need position.

DOOMED !?

or

Well played Mr. Nix.

And Glennon was the 3rd rated QB in this draft?

It's pretty obvious from listening to Manuel speak in interviews and press conferences after he was drafted that he wanted to be a Buffalo Bill all along. However, I think it is also telling that before the draft he said "They really want me" in regards to the Philadelphia Eagles. I think that may have really been a message to Buffalo that the Bills had better select him in the first round because he wasn't going to still be there the next time the Bills picked. Had he wanted to be an Eagle instead, Manuel may well have emphasized to the media how much the Bills really wanted to select him, instead, thus spurring the Eagles to make whatever moves necessary to obtain him, short of taking him at #3. I could be wrong, of course, but it's just a thought. In any event, I'm glad he was selected by Buffalo!

I agree, everyone thinks they know better, but these days, if you snooze, you lose, way wait if you really like a guy, take him, or someone else will.. Go Bills!!!

We could've traded back a bit further probably and taken him at the end of the 1st round and gathered up more picks. This was a boneheaded pick if you ask me.

I thought about doing this, especially since no one behind us in the 1st would be drafting a QB. The problem with this is that a QB needy team could have traded back into the 1st to grab him. If the Bills felt so highly on him, it was smart to take him where they did. That said, the Bills should draft another one too.

Love the comments from all of the GMs-in-training on this board who know precisely what would or would not have transpired in every trade-down or trade-up scenario involving all 32 teams.

I mean, some reasonable speculation is fine, but the "it was a panic move" crap is ridiculous.

Three years from now, if EJ Manuel is a top-ten QB and the Bills are a regular playoff team, will anyone really think drafting him at #16 was a "reach?" People are funny.

3-5 years down the road, we will look back at this draft and see that only about 10-12 of the first rounders are still in the league. Same for every year.

If there's somebody you think is a true NFL player, take him. It doesnt matter much where you take him. Come out of the draft with as many true NFL players as you can.

For QB, the stakes go up. If there's a qb you think is a franchise player, take him at 8. The fact that they gambled down to 16 shows true moxy and draft prep. But dont fuc$ around twice. Get your guy.

Edited by maddenboy

Typical response from an all time Polly. Can I not give my point of view in response to the EJ jerkfest? I was doing a lot of defending the day Marrone was announced as head coach so does that cancel out my opinion on EJ? Or do I still lose my fan card?

I'm not happy when I'm right regarding the Bills. It's really not that hard when it comes to the Bills. It's like betting against the table in craps,it usually wins but you're never popular with the the losers.

Dude, the fact you specifically set up your signature to make fun of optimistic fans is a dead giveaway. You're miserable. I will NEVER apologize for being optimistic and looking for the bright side of things with respect to the teams I root for. And that's all I have to say about that.

Wow, there is a serious fallacy rampant on this board. EJ, Barkley, and Nassib are not all equal. Just because ESPN told you that doesn't mean it is true. Did you hear McShay (the dumbest guy in any room he is in) backtrack on Nassib yesterday??? Said he was really a late 2nd to 4th round guy that everyone just bumped up because of "the obvious bills connection." So even ESPN is now backing off their claim that all three were equal. EJ was far better. Just because no one traded up for Nassib or Barkley doesn't mean no one would have for EJ. Jax would have, Arizona might have (the guy is a lot like Big Ben), Eagles would have.

Guys, I am the first to criticize Jerry Sullivan, but go read his article from Friday. Best one I have read on the Bills choosing EJ. The Bills finally took a QB who puts them on the cutting edge of what the NFL is now in terms of Offesive Scheming, instead of being 2 or 3 steps behind. If we don' get EJ and settle for Barkley or Nassib, that would show business as usual at OBD, and we would be bidding our time til the next coaching change.

Wow, there is a serious fallacy rampant on this board. EJ, Barkley, and Nassib are not all equal. Just because ESPN told you that doesn't mean it is true. Did you hear McShay (the dumbest guy in any room he is in) backtrack on Nassib yesterday??? Said he was really a late 2nd to 4th round guy that everyone just bumped up because of "the obvious bills connection." So even ESPN is now backing off their claim that all three were equal. EJ was far better. Just because no one traded up for Nassib or Barkley doesn't mean no one would have for EJ. Jax would have, Arizona might have (the guy is a lot like Big Ben), Eagles would have.

Guys, I am the first to criticize Jerry Sullivan, but go read his article from Friday. Best one I have read on the Bills choosing EJ. The Bills finally took a QB who puts them on the cutting edge of what the NFL is now in terms of Offesive Scheming, instead of being 2 or 3 steps behind. If we don' get EJ and settle for Barkley or Nassib, that would show business as usual at OBD, and we would be bidding our time til the next coaching change.

You are right, Nassib and Barkley might be more NFL ready to start then EJ currently is, and those guys are still there in the 4th round.

EJ is a project QB and will need a lot of developmental time to learn how to be a prototypical pocket QB, at least a year or more. He won't start right away unless of course the Bills build an offense (read option) just for him.

EJ might have a bigger upside then any other QB in this years draft is why the Bills took him IMO. But everything will depend on how he is developed. Looking at the history of this team and how they have handled rookie / young QB's in the past. It shows me that they will force that young QB to try and put the game on his shoulders to win it. Rather then building a dominate power running game, and let the QB manage the game while learning his craft, AKA Ravens & Joe Flacco.

I like the player, just not where he was picked

Dude, the fact you specifically set up your signature to make fun of optimistic fans is a dead giveaway. You're miserable. I will NEVER apologize for being optimistic and looking for the bright side of things with respect to the teams I root for. And that's all I have to say about that.

You have to admit, though... "All Time Pollys" would be an excellent name for a band.