Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

As stated by SJBF. I have the same thoughts. He was my number 1 QB I wanted in the first place. Reminds me of a mix of Big Ben, Cam, and Kaepernick all in one. Somewhere in the middle of all of them. He's got the most upside in the entire draft at the QB position. I'm assuming its one of the guys Nix was boasting about being one of the "Franchise Guys" and I really hope Marrone is on board with the pick as well.

All this while picking up an extra 2nd rounder? Wow. For once its exactly what I would have wished in my dreams. And we finally pulled this thing off.

I'm just hoping he becomes like Kaepernick real soon.

EJ probably sits the entire 2013 season. He is good, but he is not ready. Put him out there day 1 and you may not like what you see. He is not RGiii or Luck, just remember that. This QB class is relatively weak. He is a project. What he was asked to do at Fla St. does not translate well to the NFL. He will need to learn.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, why do you people keep thinking that because a QB didnt go in round 1 besides Manuel that suddenly Bills have their pick of them at 41?

A) We do NOT have the first pick in the 2nd round

B) 5 teams ahead of us in the 2nd are teams who could easily take a QB and that could have meant that neither Nassib, Barkley, Geno, Manuel, or even Wilson would have been there.

C) Cle and Philly were said to be targeting him. Chip Kelly especially and were in discussions to move back into first round to get Manuel if he fell further.

D) The guy they wanted was Manuel, and not only did they get him, but they picked up 2 extra picks in doing so.

I swear, people b*tch just to b*tch. I am certain Manuel would NOT have been there at 41. I would have liked Eifert at 16, but still Manuel is a great prospect and if the Bills saw him as the BEST QB prospect and wanted him, then they HAD to take him at 16.

Big win for the Bills...stop reading so many mock drafts of people who know nothing about football like McShay and Kiper. All I know is that the two hot college coaches, Chip Kelly and Marrone were in love with this kid. And that is saying a lot with Marrone who coached Nassib to pass on him and go with this kid and bank his NFL career on it.

I think I will trust the facts more than your nausea

This. I have a feeling that any trade bait we might have had at 16 was sent tumbling by the fact that so many good players were getting by that teams didn't have to risk trading down to get incredible value. Unless we somehow packaged an amazing deal to move to the top of round two, while many teams there would have zero incentive to do so, I could easily see the Jets, Eagles and Browns taking Geno, Nassib and Manuel before we had a chance to lift a finger.

We got an extra second, got back a 7th, moved back 7 spaces in the third and got (probably) the same guy they wanted by waiting. We saw a guy we liked, we took him, and we got more value back for our efforts than even I dreamed.

I'll go one step farther, Kelly -- it's completely illogical to argue with what they did. This front office did more work evaluating QBs than probably any team in the league. They did their homework. To be able to maneuver like they did, picking up a couple of extra picks, and still get their guy is something very few Bills fans thought this front office was capable of.

Debate the specific pick (Manuel) all you want -- you absolutely can't criticize the Bills' process and execution.

Agreed on the process part. For once, I have no qualms with Buddy's maneuverings.

His name probably only matters if he does something of significance such as winning a SB or two or even three in a row. So how do we pronounce it? Is it like reading a Manual? Or is it pronounced traditionally in Spanish to sound like Manwell? Or is it just safer for us illiterate folk to just call him EJ? I propose EJ. What say you? Choose wisely.

I`m also a E.J. Love it.

Why not take Eifert at 16 and Manuel at 41. He would have been there. Or trade out of the first for more picks?

Fair questions. I believe the Bills would tell you they feared Manuel would not be there later -- which is impossible to prove or disprove. Getting a franchise QB was such a huge goal of this team, though, that I don't think at the end of the day you can criticize their execution.

Don't worry about the "experts", says alot that no other QB's were taken in the 1st round, ESPN and CBS and their F grades can go pound salt.

http://www.mattmcgee.com/what-nfl-experts-said-about-the-seahawks-2012-draft/

wood-bleacher.jpeg

•  

Gave an “D-” grade overall. Says Russell Wilson will “be lucky to be Seneca Wallace” and the Seahawks “are no closer to solving the QB situation now than they were before 2011.”
    cole-yahoo.jpeg
    Pete Prisco, CBS Sports
    Overall, he gives Seattle a “C+” grade. He calls Wilson a “strange pick.” Says Melvin Ingram, who was picked by San Diego at No. 18 and has one sack in 15 games so far this season, would’ve been a better pick.
    prisco-cbs.jpeg
    Matt Miller, Bleacher Report
    Gave Seahawks a “D” grade overall. Called Irvin a “grab.” Says Seahawks “messed up” by drafting Wilson. Says those two picks were “just bad.”
    miller-bleacher.jpeg

Seahawks get a “C” grade overall for their “blah” draft. Seahawks were “bonkers” for picking Irvin. Says that Wilson “has a bright future, even if Seattle didn’t really need him.”
    si-com.jpeg
    Vinny Iyer, Sporting News
    Overall grade is a “D.” He says the Seahawks drafted “defensive head-scratchers.”
    iyer-sn.jpeg
    Dalton Johnson, Bleacher Report
    Gave the Seahawks a “C-” grade. Says the Seahawks draft was “full of reaches,” including all three top picks — Irvin, Wagner (or “Wager”) and Wilson.
    johnson-bleacher.jpeg
    You might be wondering what Mel Kiper — ESPN draft guru — had to say. His full grades are “insider” content on ESPN.com, but this Mike Sando recap says that the ESPN crew gave Seattle a “C-” grade — tied for the lowest of all 32 teams — and that Kiper said he had “huge questions” about the Hawks draft.
    To be fair, some of the writers above admit that it’s best to wait a couple years before really grading a draft, but that sure didn’t stop them from making some ridiculously wrong immediate reactions to what the Seahawks did.

Why not take Eifert at 16 and Manuel at 41. He would have been there. Or trade out of the first for more picks?

The Eagles or Jaguars would have taken him at the top of the 2nd round. Who knows. I am glad the Bills got the first crack at the line of QBs and picked the one that was at the top of their draft board.

Simple, really.

The Eagles, ABSOLUTELY, and possibly the Raiders and Jags, had the same interest in Manuel that we did. They were too close to the late 20s, where the Bills would have traded down...and definitely too close to SF = they traded up to 18 to get the safety. If NOLA doesn't take vaccaro at 15, then we might have traded down to them.

However, they just couldn't take the risk of drafting in the mid-late 20s. Cetainly not at 31. 16 was safe, and unless they thought they could go back to 22 and no farther, you stay where you are, and make sure nobody else dictates your choices.

16 means that those high 2nd round teams have to give up too much to get ahead of you. 23-32...and it costs a lot less.

His 40 time looks a useful asset at 4.65. Nassib was slow at 5.09. Kolb was 4.85 in 2007. Maybe a better option than Brad Smith in the Wildcat albeit Brad has a 4.46 time.

Kaepernick was 4.53 back in 2011. It would be nice to have the Kaepernick option in the play book. Not sure Manuel has the pace to take it the distance from midfield as Kaepernick did last year but he can certainly move the chains.

Yeah, I think people are debating the pick itself.

Anyway, if the Bills were set on taking Manuel, why not trade out of the first round altogether? No one else was going to take this guy in the first. I think they blew an opportunity to pick up another higher 2nd rounder. Or take Eifert at 16 and Manuel in the 2nd

Exactly. I would have traded with SF, (who was ready to trade up at that point and did so right after Buffalo picked) picked up another draft pick, or taken Eifert and one of the available QBs in the 2nd round. The QBs are all so similar a gamble that you can throw their names in a bag and pick one in the 2nd round. One would be there. But the Bills panicked and reached. One of the few real reaches in the 1st round by anyone. The rest of the league drafted by BPA based on need. Buffalo just showed why they are the laughing stock of the league. Check out the ratings on the NFL draft tracker for the quality of the picks. See that the ratings that are generally good till you get to the Bills at 16 :wallbash: :wallbash:

The Eagles, ABSOLUTELY, and possibly the Raiders and Jags, had the same interest in Manuel that we did. They were too close to the late 20s, where the Bills would have traded down...and definitely too close to SF = they traded up to 18 to get the safety. If NOLA doesn't take vaccaro at 15, then we might have traded down to them.

If what you are saying is true, between EJ and the Jets/Tavon Austin move --- the Bills just dominated this draft.

Yeah, I think people are debating the pick itself.

Anyway, if the Bills were set on taking Manuel, why not trade out of the first round altogether? No one else was going to take this guy in the first. I think they blew an opportunity to pick up another higher 2nd rounder. Or take Eifert at 16 and Manuel in the 2nd

How do you know that?

His 40 time looks a useful asset at 4.65. Nassib was slow at 5.09. Kolb was 4.85 in 2007. Maybe a better option than Brad Smith in the Wildcat albeit Brad has a 4.46 time.

Kaepernick was 4.53 back in 2011. It would be nice to have the Kaepernick option in the play book. Not sure Manuel has the pace to take it the distance from midfield as Kaepernick did last year but he can certainly move the chains.

I hope Brad Smith is cut loose.

The Eagles or Jaguars would have taken him at the top of the 2nd round. Who knows. I am glad the Bills got the first crack at the line of QBs and picked the one that was at the top of their draft board.

Maybe the Eagles, maybe not. Neither team picked a QB after the Bills. I'm not convinced either team was going to take a prospect developmental player like Manuel. I saw more value in a stud TE who will play right away. The QBs were all similar in value. All below Eifert