Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

Thing is: the Bills have been right about the 1st round...since Buddy has been in charge.

The Bills, even for Dareus but to a lesser degree, were criticized loudly and longly, for all those 1st round picks...and all those people were horribly wrong.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is if this kid can live up to his potential he will be an amazing qb. His highlight film is impressive. He has a rocket arm with a flick of the wrist, and throws a really good deep ball. He looks like he has unlimitted upside. Whereas Barkley and Nassib were both good but and could possibly make an impact sooner, but their ceiling was nowhere near that of Manuels. Guy is a freak..

The Bills traded back and picked up a second rounder in a draft where the value picks are considered in the second. And they got their guy. As far as I see it, its a huge win.

I wasnt expecting the Bills to pick EJ, so I didnt watch much on him prior to the draft. But all we can hope for is that he gets some good coaching. If Marrone was able to get Syracuse and Ryan Nassib to play above and beyond expectation, imagine what he could do with a guy like Manuel. Manuel is by far the most talented qb in the draft athletically. Hopefully he can live up to his potential and reach his ceiling. If he can consistantly make the throws he was making on his highlight tape, sky is the limit.

Just saw a little snippet of a Marrone interview on ESPN this morning, he said "there were a lot of good QBs in this draft, and I think they quarterbak class was underrated by many, we felt, collectively, as an organization, that he was the best fit for the buffalo bills".

Because the Bills are always right and the rest of the NFL are collectively wrong. Whatta joke. The Bills get a QB who doesn't have a signature win in his entire career and routinely flopped against great defenses despite the ridiculous amount of talent around him.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Because the Bills are always right and the rest of the NFL are collectively wrong. Whatta joke. The Bills get a QB who doesn't have a signature win in his entire career and routinely flopped against great defenses despite the ridiculous amount of talent around him.

Were you around here for the CJ Spiller pick?

Or better, were you on earth, and able to access the interent/watch TV for the CJ Spiller pick?

The Bills were right, and yeah, the rest of the NFL was collectively wrong.

WGR reminded me: McShay is still defending his grade on Maybin, and even came on their air and defended it even after the Jets had him. :lol:

Consensus...does not mean...right. There is a wonderful example of this, being played out right now, and it's hilarious, but, I am not allowed to use it here, because it might hurt somebody's feelings. (Really, they will just be angry because it's...true, and it makes them look like the buffoons they are....but whatever)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

i made no secrets that I would have loved to take Nassib, with the correct spot in the draft(late first, early second). that said, i do not know anything about this kid, but all reports indicate he has incredible skills and potential. I am more relieved that we didn't take Smith or Barkley. I think we got a great pick here.

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and the guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

Edited by billsrcursed

I am cool with the pick. I liked the trade back and wish that they would have done it again. I didn't want a QB at 8 but Manuel was my favorite of the group (i liked Geno some also) I like his upside. I was terrified of drafting a QB whose ceiling was Dalton or Schaub. I wanted a guy that could turn into a star. He has some flaws that he will need to overcome but I like it.

P.s. how funny was it watching the national reporters being so shocked? Both Chris Brown and Joe Buscaglia mocked EJ to the Bills. A lot of conversation on him around here and we were able to see through the Nassib smokescreen. As I have said before if I want to read and hear intelligent Bills conversations I would rather listen to you guys than that elf Todd McShay.

FWIW, sports talk radio hosts down here.....folks who are intimately familiar with Manuel's play......this morning are saying the Bills blew it, big time. They think Manuel would have been available in 2nd, maybe even 3rd round. Bottom line is that they don't think it was a good pick at all.

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and they guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

Or the one who has dominated all the measurables, combine, skill challenges, Sports Science tests....and is 1 of 2 QBs to win 4 consecutive bowl games, ever?

That guy?

FWIW, sports talk radio hosts down here.....folks who are intimately familiar with Manuel's play......this morning are saying the Bills blew it, big time. They think Manuel would have been available in 2nd, maybe even 3rd round. Bottom line is that they don't think it was a good pick at all.

I don't know we'll ever be able to prove it, but the Eagles were taking him in the 2nd. I don't know how else to say it.

Or the one who has dominated all the measurables, combine, skill challenges, Sports Science tests....and is 1 of 2 QBs to win 4 consecutive bowl games, ever?

That guy?

LOL,

I didn't want to choke him with reality. I wanted to reel him in gradually.

But ya, this too!

I'm extremely happy with the Bills pick of EJ Manuel. Also very relieved...lol

True franchise QB prospect who's capable of taking a team to the top if he reaches his ceiling. EJ will probably need a year to sit, learn and smooth out the roughness in his game. I have a great vibe about this draft...now lets get a WR and TE!

I'll go one step farther, Kelly -- it's completely illogical to argue with what they did. This front office did more work evaluating QBs than probably any team in the league. They did their homework. To be able to maneuver like they did, picking up a couple of extra picks, and still get their guy is something very few Bills fans thought this front office was capable of.

Debate the specific pick (Manuel) all you want -- you absolutely can't criticize the Bills' process and execution.

Great post!

Exactly. I would have traded with SF, (who was ready to trade up at that point and did so right after Buffalo picked) picked up another draft pick, or taken Eifert and one of the available QBs in the 2nd round. The QBs are all so similar a gamble that you can throw their names in a bag and pick one in the 2nd round. One would be there. But the Bills panicked and reached. One of the few real reaches in the 1st round by anyone. The rest of the league drafted by BPA based on need. Buffalo just showed why they are the laughing stock of the league. Check out the ratings on the NFL draft tracker for the quality of the picks. See that the ratings that are generally good till you get to the Bills at 16 :wallbash: :wallbash:

Blah, blah, p*ss & moan. The team picked up a 2nd and a 7th and an exciting new face of the franchise. Great first round. I love to read the lamentations of the handwringers and their bellyaching and bitching...until they get over the top like my friend here.

Edited by Green Lightning

Are you talking about the Senior Bowl MVP and the guy who dominated his Bowl Game against a #15 ranked team? That guy?

No, I'm talking about a guy that came a guy that flopped against the only two good defenses he saw the last two years. If you're talking about the #15 team being N. Ill then you have to add that they lost to a terrible Iowa team and squeaked out a 1 point win over Army. That team? Ok if it makes you feel better!

How did he play against the Gators the last two years? He was terrible at home against Oklahoma and lost the game by himself!

You can't blitz in the senior bowl and EJ has zero pocket presence bud. Watch a few college games or talk to some FSU fans.