Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except EJ played with about 10 times more talent than any other QB in the draft and played in a horrible ACC. How did he do in the big games? I know because I watched. He was bad. Great QBs win games. EJ has never done that...ever.

He's flopped in every big game that he's played. Sorry but you can't argue that.

No, I cannot.

What I can do, however, is compile a list of NFL QB's who lost "big games" in their last collegiate year and went on to be very successful in the NFL.

I just don't feel it would be worth it. If you watch half the games you're claiming you do, you already know whose names are gonna pop up on that list.

I'm sorry you're so bitter about this pick. I'm just cautioning the irrational spoutiness and "reach" material you're posting, that's all.

So the Bills bide their time and trade back picking up extra picks and grab the player they wanted and this is "panicing." You might not like the player but the Bills most certainly did not panic.

And really, I don't know how people have really strong opinions on most QBs that come out of college. It's a crapshoot. Sadly, you have to roll the dice and hope the guy you picked pans out. The Bills feel this is the guy they want and I'll give him a chance. If he doesn't pan out they try again in a few years. Unless you're lucky enough to be picking 1st in the draft the year Peyton or Luck comes out (F'in colts) then this is what you have to do to find that QB - keep rolling the dice.

No, I'm talking about a guy that came a guy that flopped against the only two good defenses he saw the last two years. If you're talking about the #15 team being N. Ill then you have to add that they lost to a terrible Iowa team and squeaked out a 1 point win over Army. That team? Ok if it makes you feel better!

How did he play against the Gators the last two years? He was terrible at home against Oklahoma and lost the game by himself!

You can't blitz in the senior bowl and EJ has zero pocket presence bud. Watch a few college games or talk to some FSU fans.

You are right about his performances against FL the past two seasons. He did not produce. That said, pointing to other close wins and squeaker losses is simply not a good way to argue. The Noles were 21-6 the last two years. They weren't the best team in the country, so one should expect some losses and close games occasionally, especially in a good conference. Hell, the AZ Cardinals beat the Pats last year. Does that diminish Brady?? Anyway, 21-6 is pretty darn good unless you have ridiculous expectations about going 11-1 every year.

Edited by dave mcbride

You are absolutely high if you are questioning a draft pick who put up Jim Brown #s last year, while only getting Kenny Davis carries per game.

Picks like CJ Spiller is how you win SuperBowls, not just games. Same thing with Dareus, same thing with Gilmore.

Oh, and yeah, it was the rest of the NFL, and the media who panned the Spiller, Gilmore, and even Dareus, to a lesser degree, picks.

I don't think this is bias. I think this is laziness. They are too lazy to bother with actually speaking with Buddy, Marrone, etc, beyond the 5 minute interview.

So, they have no idea what we think or why. If most of them do that...then you have your "consensus"...of idiocy.

What is the Bills record under Buddy? And I'm high? Holy crap Polly, put down the kool aid.

For the record, I never heard a bad word said about Dareus or Gilmore. Why do you keep bringing up the media? They are as bad as you. They make opinions on You Tube vids and they don't actually watch games.

Did you watch the UF or OU games with EJ? Because if you did, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be sleeping in an EJ jersey tonight.

Why is it that the Bills always overvalue players and pick guys too early in the first couple of rounds. We've seen it all before with McCargo, Maybin, Losman, Whitner, A. Williams, TJ Graham. OBD just doesn't get it. It is like they are trying to prove that they know something that other teams don't.

Look at us; we're the Bills. We are so clever. We are the best evaluators of talent. :worthy::w00t::death:

What is the Bills record under Buddy? And I'm high? Holy crap Polly, put down the kool aid.

For the record, I never heard a bad word said about Dareus or Gilmore. Why do you keep bringing up the media? They are as bad as you. They make opinions on You Tube vids and they don't actually watch games.

Did you watch the UF or OU games with EJ? Because if you did, I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be sleeping in an EJ jersey tonight.

So with this logic anyone drafted by the bills is a guaranteed reach/bust/etc if Buddy is doing the picking. We get you don't like the pick but just spitting the same stuff out in different ways isn't really proving a point.

Sorry the pick made your cheerios taste funny this morning but at least try to be optimistic for your team.

Edited by The Wiz

This pick just set the franchise back another 3 years. What's worse, they'll probably be in a position to draft a true franchise QB next year and will pass on him waiting to see if Manuel will "develop." Better luck next coaching gig Marrone.

@RussBrandon

Despite just 3 hours of sleep, EJ Manuel starting the am in his new hometown talking w/ @hsimon62 & @JeremyWGR pic.twitter.com/KB9UlHyQAN

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/audio/EJ-Manuel-Thinks-He-Fits-With-Bills-New-Offense/d0f22f7c-641d-4529-b4df-a7fe4393023c

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

No, I cannot.

What I can do, however, is compile a list of NFL QB's who lost "big games" in their last collegiate year and went on to be very successful in the NFL.

I just don't feel it would be worth it. If you watch half the games you're claiming you do, you already know whose names are gonna pop up on that list.

I'm sorry you're so bitter about this pick. I'm just cautioning the irrational spoutiness and "reach" material you're posting, that's all.

You mean like Peyton Manning who went 0-4 against Florida.

Kool Aid? Does buddy play the games? Does he coach them? No. Did CJ Spiller put up Jim Brown #s, while only getting Kenny Anderson carries? Yes.

Again, your argument is ridiculous. How many games did the Bills win in 1987? Did that make Jim Kelly a bad draft pick? :lol: Ridiculous.

I've watched 3 games so far. I will watch more as time permits. So far: you have to be high if you think this guy will NEVER be an accurate QB in the NFL, isn't a leader, or isn't capable of winning big games at this level. He has ALL the physical tools, and the quickest release I've seen since Marino.

Because the Bills are always right and the rest of the NFL are collectively wrong. Whatta joke. The Bills get a QB who doesn't have a signature win in his entire career and routinely flopped against great defenses despite the ridiculous amount of talent around him.

Tebow had lots of signature wins

You are right about his performances against FL the past two seasons. He did not produce. That said, pointing to other close wins and squeaker losses is simply not a good way to argue. The Noles were 21-6 the last two years. They weren't the best team in the country, so one should expect some losses and close games occasionally, especially in a good conference. Hell, the AZ Cardinals beat the Pats last year. Does that diminish Brady?? Anyway, 21-6 is pretty darn good unless you have ridiculous expectations about going 11-1 every year.

Dave, I always respect what you post but let me clarify a couple of things. Someone mentioned a "big win" against a "#15 team" but failed to mention it was North Illinois. The reference to tight games was about the "#15" team, not FSU.

Where you are wrong is FSU was picked by a lot of smart people to win it all last year. Herbstrei, who is the best talking head in all of CFB had them winning it all. They were a trendy pick because they were loaded and still are. Their defense has 3-4 more first round picks and their offense had 3-5* RBs and a stable full of WRs that would rival NFL teams. Believe me, they had as much talent as anyone last year and that includes Bama.

I'm sorry but EJ isn't a guy who puts a team on his back and wins games. It didn't happen with every opportunity in college and it won't happen here.

My god the douche is strong in this thread. As shocked as I am that they didn't, there is absolutely NO way you can say the Bills panicked. That's ridiculous. You can argue the pick, but you can't argue that the Bills got the exact player they targeted and picked up additional picks in the process.

RTB

So, the Jags, with their awful attempt at smoke screening Nassib...who were they thinking about picking instead? Geno? Tyler Wilson? Are they staying with Gabbert? :lol:

I am always very suspicious of other teams media...especially when they are overly critical of another team's moves who have no rivalry or much to do with them. We rarely if ever hear our media talking about how badly the Jags drafted. We don't care. I can understand things like laughing at Tebow to the Jets, because that was just hilariously bad, and we'd already seen him play in the NFL.

Btw, how many of those media people were laughing at Tebow to the Jets? :lol: How many were saying it out loud, on the air, in Jacksonville? None? When they can make fun of Tebow, on the air, for being awful, then they can talk about what the Bills do, and not before.

1) Yes, most folks think the Jags will pick up a QB...maybe with their next pic....the first pick as the draft starts back up tonight.....maybe not. But Gabbard will definitely be in the competition for the starting job. With their RG #1, the line will be better, and as anyone knows, QBs need a good line to have any success at all.

2) Nothing to be suspicious about. The point was that they've seen the guy play, week after week (well, whenever he has played). Diehard FSU fans have been calling in all morning laughing at the Bills for picking him...THEY know, THEY have watched his every play.

3) Umm, the Jax area media did indeed laugh at Tebow. Sure they like the guy as a person and what he stands for (who doesn't?), but they're smart enough to realize "he is what he is."