Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the argument against this pick will always be that OBD passed on a ton of blue-chip talent to select a project QB who probably would have still been around at #41.

I sincerely hope this all works out, though. I like the kid and obviously the Bills brass put a lot of thought into it.

Here are some interesting takes by the fans who watched Manuel play in college:

http://www.tomahawkn...l-florida-state

Most say he has a fragile psyche and won't be an NFL starter. Great job OBD!! :thumbdown:

Yes, because fans know all and especially how a young kid will perform in the NFL a few years from now. Why didn't the Bills ask the fans who to pick?

Good god people. First, let me preface by saying out of all the QB prospects, I favored Manuel the most. I respect this kids raw talent and potential....

That being said, 16th pick overall?!? With Dee Milliner available at 8, Kenny Vaccaro at 16, in addition to many other defensive and offensive players, there was absolutely no reason to take Manuel at any point in the first round. The Bills, post trade back, still should not have taken him in the first. He would have been there for us in the second regardless because I have always said, and it was proven today, no quarterback in this draft is worth a first round pick. And teams choices today supported that. We could have dealt with our deplorable run defense, chasm-like secondary needs, or went after an offensive threat...but we draft a QB project...one I'm worried about playing in the weather conditions in Buffalo...at 16 he should be worth a franchise value. I am sorry but nothing less.

This being said, he would have been there in the second for us without a doubt and this was a gross reach, possibly the largest reach in recent draft history. I would have liked this pick with one of our two second round picks. We had better take a safety cuz until Byrd figures out a contract deal, it's Williams back there and Gilmore and mckelvin...forgive me for not liking the sound of that, or our current line backing corps (unless Dansby signs)

first, there's no way he falls to 41, no way. Second, don't be surprised if Buddy and Co draft another QB for this roster even considering the holes that exist at other positions. Third, reach? There were more than a few teams that reached on players last night, but I don't see the Bills as one of them- reason being, we need to solve the QB position or the Byrd's, Dareus', Spillers and SJ won't mean squat in the end.... maybe the arguement is Manuel needs some time to develop... perfect, if anyone hasn't noticed we have been playoffs competitive in 10 years, so who care is Kolb plays a season until the rook jhas had time work on mechanics and other pieces of the pro game? Every, and I mean EVERY QB i this league from Brady to Manning to Rivers to everybody has had to work on their game and did not start out golden boys.

Lets just be excited the Bills will fill up that QB group with prospects both new and old, instead of having to see Fitzpatrick linger ont he roster.

Snippets from Marrone on Mike & Mike in the morning:

------------------------------------------------------

"EJ has to earn the trust of the players, our responsiliblity to get him ready"

"he will compete with Kolb and Tarvaris Jackson"

On why not Nassib (did not answer directly) "we made the best decision for the Buffalo Bills"

Who makes decision "scouts write hundreds of reports, Nix/Whaley/me etc sit and discuss. So decision comes naturally"

who will you take the 2nd round "If we told you that, all those talk shows will be out of a job and I am all about making jobs"

Do you handle on this draft class comiong right out of college now "you have seen them, seen how they grown, but difficult to say what they will become. watch fil, meet the kid, everyone has same decision"

Is that acceptable to you as a fan? We don't have a good Qb so were going to pass over actual talent and take one because that's "how drafting QBs goes." It isn't to me.

I'm sure the titans and Jags could find somebody to play just as good as Locker/ Gabbert while JJ Watt is playing for them instead of kicking their teeth in twice a year. A legit QB talent can drastically change a franchise but taking one in the first round does not make him a franchise QB. Those teams are hurting because they bought in to the myth of 'if you don't have one, you gotta get one' and forced themselves to fall in love with guys that weren't that talented and passed on guys who were and that's what buffalo did.

So what are we supposed to do? Keep spinning our wheels year after year because Andrew Luck never gets dropped into our laps? At some point you have to take a chance. Hopefully they got it right, but I'll never fault them for trying.

I was indifferent on the pick until I heard it was Nix's pick. I would have felt better if Marrone and Hackett wanted him based on the offense they want to run. That would have made sense to me. Now that they came out and said it was Nix who picked him based on his upside alone, I don't like it. They needed to trade down 1 more time before taking a guy based on his potential

I guess the argument against this pick will always be that OBD passed on a ton of blue-chip talent to select a project QB who probably would have still been around at #41.

I sincerely hope this all works out, though. I like the kid and obviously the Bills brass put a lot of thought into it.

I heard McDouche this morning saying that the Bills wasted the chance to do some really good things with the pick and add needed talent. But then he wouldn't/didn't say WHO that talent was that he is referring to.

Any ideas? Im looking at the draft and dont see any "must haves" that were jumping out. Especially none as important as our pick of QB. Im open to suggestions though...

Judging by the laughs I've heard from Patriots fans this morning, I'd say our AFC East foes are thrilled with this pick. Really.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid y'all. Bless your hearts.

Well...It's easy to laugh when you're on top and you have Tom Brady...

This pick was not about now anyway...The entire Bills staff admitted Manuel has some work to do...He's not an instant plug and play QB...The Pats are one of the best teams in the entire NFL...There is absolutely nothing the Bills could have done to change that much at #16 last night...

But we'll see who gets the last laugh...Because...and I realize it's a BIG if...But if Manuel reaches his potential, and Brady is done in a few years, Pats fans might not find this pick so funny down the road...Only time will tell... B-)

I am going to stick with the opinion that is says more about Manuel than it does about Nassib.

I posted this in another thread...shoulda posted here.

I wasn't high on EJ Manuel but there's no way any of us can predict he will fail or be great. I'm trusting Marrone, Nix and Whaley on this. They knew Nassib better than anyone and passed on him (not a good sign for Mr. Nassib). They knew and prepared vs Barkley and Geno and obviously saw flaws. None of us knows how good EJ will be?!? I'm supporting it. EJ sounds like a smart guy, hard worker, great arm and legs... and loves being in Buffalo. Good start for him.

I was indifferent on the pick until I heard it was Nix's pick. I would have felt better if Marrone and Hackett wanted him based on the offense they want to run. That would have made sense to me. Now that they came out and said it was Nix who picked him based on his upside alone, I don't like it. They needed to trade down 1 more time before taking a guy based on his potential

& you learned this where?

Any ideas? Im looking at the draft and dont see any "must haves" that were jumping out. Especially none as important as our pick of QB. Im open to suggestions though...

Moments before our trade, I was looking at the BPAs and concluded that none was at a position of need for us. I was hoping we wouldn't go DT or OG with that high a pick. Lo and behold the trade was announced. Very non-Nixy if I may say.