Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many times the same thing must be said, so may as well say it again.

Everyone agrees that this QB draft is very weak. So if the Bills or another team were going to pick a QB, may as well go for the one with the highest ceiling. I think there's very little disagreement among almost all the pundits - that despite his flaws, EJ has the highest ceiling of the whole crew.

So then the question is - where do you take him? His basic talent argues for rounds 2-3. But that's not how game theory plays out, because there are other teams who have QB needs and if he was truly Bills' #1 pick, then there is too much to risk to wait until #41. Although the other QBs are all bunched up in the early 2nd round slots, there probably isn't that much differentiating those guys from Kolb or Tarvaris. So why would you waste a draft pick on something you already have?

Drafting EJ at #16 made a lot of sense for a QB starved team that is willing to invest the time in him. Rolling the dice that the guy you really want will be there for your next pick is exactly how Bills missed out on Kaepernick & Wilson.

Edited by GG

I don't know how many times the same thing must be said, so may as well say it again.

Everyone agrees that this QB draft is very weak. So if the Bills or another team were going to pick a QB, may as well go for the one with the highest ceiling. I think there's very little disagreement among almost all the pundits - that despite his flaws, EJ has the highest ceiling of the whole crew.

So then the question is - where do you take him? His basic talent argues for rounds 2-3. But that's not how game theory plays out, because there are other teams who have QB needs and if he was truly Bills' #1 pick, then there is too much to risk to wait until #41. Although the other QBs are all bunched up in the early 2nd round slots, there probably isn't that much differentiating those guys from Kolb or Tarvaris. So why would you waste a draft pick on something you already have?

Drafting EJ at #16 made a lot of sense for a QB starved team that is willing to invest the time in him. Rolling the dice that the guy you really want will be there for your next pick is exactly how Bills missed out on Kaepernick & Wilson.

and they added a two, so..... even if he doesnt work out, we get another shot at a good player with the approach taken.

well said.

My pure speculation is that there was one team picking between #16 and #41 that wanted EJ. The Steelers have been sniffing around the QB corps for a few weeks now. Could it have been them ?

I am not upset at all that we did not trade down further. After all our 2 Rd 2 picks are pretty high.

Haha this is great. "I don't like the Bills pick so I'll just make up my own narrative about him." Or maybe it's just hard to type through all the tears...

Yeah, that's it. If you want to gauge your future QB on how well he played against average teams like North Illinois in Bowls or Wake Forest/NcSt then go ahead and be prepared to be surprised when he flops. . But when it came to top ranked teams in big games like the Florida game, he goes for 4 turnovers in THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS CAREER at home. See last year's UF game or the OU game the same year.

You can read a game log or you can watch the games and understand the context. Good luck with our newest project.

Edited by John Cocktosten

I like the Pick EJ Manuel is a good QB & a Great Kid I just don't the pick at 16 we could have Drafted Tavon Austin & Still got Manuel we only got a 2nd & 7th round pick & we moved down from 8th & 71 where the Patriots traded the 29th pick (basically a 2nd Round Pick) for a 2,3,4 & 7th round pick Buddy Nix got played by the Rams

This is a troll post right?

Yeah, that's it. If you want to gauge your future QB on how well he played against average teams like North Illinois in Bowls or Wake Forest/NcSt then go ahead and be prepared to be surprised when he flops. . But when it came to top ranked teams in big games like the Florida game, he goes for 4 turnovers in THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS CAREER at home. See last year's UF game or the OU game the same year.

You can read a game log or you can watch the games and understand the context. Good luck with our newest project.

Saying he is going to be a bust, and saying this pick is terrible is basically rooting for him to fail, which in turn makes the Bills fail. I just dont get it.

You said it, brother. They already have Nassib on their team, as it turns out!! Check out this 2007 scouting report of Kolb:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2007/4/28/194242/416

There are some eerie similiarities.