Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

Says you, with how much QB evaluation experience?

Serious question -- do you fault the process the Bills went through pre-draft, evaluating every top QB prospect multiple times and bringing all in for private workouts and visits? Do you believe they could/should have done more? If so, what?

What people fail to realize (or fail to admit) is that Nix boxed the team into a corner. They had to pick a QB. The process they went through for this draft can't be faulted. The trade down can't be faulted. Whether it was the right pick or not isn't known today, but anyone faulting the process or saying the Bills should have traded down again because they KNOW Manuel would have been available are off base.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Manuel to Losman may satisfy the atavistic compulsions of the punch bowl defecators and might even appear logical, but it overlooks a couple of key factors, including both the personal (size and speed) and the structural (Manuel played and succeeded for a much bigger program, playing under greater pressure, than Losman). Those factors are important in imagining a player's future.

I will be honest and say that Manuel was not my first choice (I think he needs to work on his pocket footwork---too many flat-footed throws), but the kid has great promise and a lot of tools, along with what appears to be a very good attitude.

Every day you can choose to hope, or choose to fear. I choose to hope. Go Bills!

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

I am not sure what to say here but feel compelled to put something down. I heard one of the sayings Herb Brooks had was "There's a fine line between guts and brains". I don't believe Buddy and the gang even came close to crossing those lines with this pick. I thought when they looked at him, it was one of those smoke and mirror tactics. I really hope they know what they are doing. It almost has the feel of a wasted pick to me.

I am not sure what to say here but feel compelled to put something down. I heard one of the sayings Herb Brooks had was "There's a fine line between guts and brains". I don't believe Buddy and the gang even came close to crossing those lines with this pick. I thought when they looked at him, it was one of those smoke and mirror tactics. I really hope they know what they are doing. It almost has the feel of a wasted pick to me.

To continue with the Herb Brooks quotes "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones"

The prevailing wisdom entering the draft was the Bills should grab the QB they wanted in the first round, reach or not, and not chance waiting to the 2nd. The Bills did not want to have to waste draft picks having to trade back into the first round. Being the team with the biggest QB need, Bddy and company did what many on TBD said to do...trade back, get extra picks and selsect your QB. Buddy even entertained the idea of trading back a second time. Hind sight is 20/20. I wished he had. They are the onse who evaluated the QBs thoroughly. Manuel fits the style of offense they wio be running. It says alot that Coach Marrone went with Buddy in passing over on Nassib. The 2nd round will see a run on the top QBs in the board. This selectoin will take at least 3 years to see if it was worthwhile. Time for us to sit back and be patient.

Not all the draftniks hate this pick. From Bleacher Report:

"No one really expected EJ Manuel to be the first quarterback taken. Many didn't think he'd even sneak into the first round!

I've been higher on Manuel than most. He's got all of the raw physical tools that a quarterback needs in the NFL, and he'll have a good coaching staff and weapons around him in Buffalo.

They'll probably sit him behind Kevin Kolb for a year or two, but Manuel has a good chance to be the best player from this draft class."

bleacherreport.com/articles/1618244-nfl-draft-2013-results-biggest-winners-losers-from-day-1/page/4

The Bills targeted their guy, traded down and got an extra second and a seventh, and still managed to pick him up. Nice job Buddy.

Perfect.

Let me add, working on his Masters, 23 years old, respectful, and a well spoken young man. Huge ceiling, and he has 5 months plus the extra OTAs because of a new staff. This kid is going to surprise people, and quick.

Get him a few tools, TE and WR and let them all grow together.

I'm constantly impressed by the number of people who seem to be elite level talent evaluators. So many experts on one fan forum is one of the reasons I keep coming back here. Though I sometimes get confused with the conflicting views of our TBD expert talent evaluators......I know that since they are stating things in a dogmatic and unequivocal fashion that they all must be correct at the same time.

There are no different than 'pro' media evaluators who post contradictory evaluations all the time without acknowledging they 'have changed their minds.

I only got about two minutes, as it's been a crazy busy week.

He's probably the best QB in the draft, but I don't like the pick. I said before that I saw no quarterback worthy of the first 2-3 rounds. There was no run on quarterbacks to even make this pick a worthy one- he probably would have been there in the second round- as a QB worthy of the 16th pick would go much higher, based on how things work.

There were many defensive players or OL's available that could have helped us build a contender.

I know I'll get ripped for being negative, but I'm being subjective and haven't changed my tune from what I said before the draft.

Perfect.

Let me add, working on his Masters, 23 years old, respectful, and a well spoken young man. Huge ceiling, and he has 5 months plus the extra OTAs because of a new staff. This kid is going to surprise people, and quick.

Get him a few tools, TE and WR and let them all grow together.

Yes sir...don't understand all of the people whining on here about this pick..

6'5 qbs w wheels and a cannon? What's not to like ? The kids sharp, love his attitude.

Like everyone else I am getting very excited about the potential of EJ. I think as a fanbase we need to be patient and allow him to learn the ropes of the NFL.

Obviously the Bills are in a different situation but Aaron Rodgers watched for 3 years before starting. EJ has all of the tools he just needs to polish them without the fans losing confidence in him if he gets rushed into starting.

He's flopped in every big game that he's played. Sorry but you can't argue that.

4 Bowl games, won them all, only guy to do that in college...but none of them were "big games"?

:wacko:

I just did argue that.

Haha this is great. "I don't like the Bills pick so I'll just make up my own narrative about him." Or maybe it's just hard to type through all the tears...