Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

Good god people. First, let me preface by saying out of all the QB prospects, I favored Manuel the most. I respect this kids raw talent and potential....

That being said, 16th pick overall?!? With Dee Milliner available at 8, Kenny Vaccaro at 16, in addition to many other defensive and offensive players, there was absolutely no reason to take Manuel at any point in the first round. The Bills, post trade back, still should not have taken him in the first. He would have been there for us in the second regardless because I have always said, and it was proven today, no quarterback in this draft is worth a first round pick. And teams choices today supported that. We could have dealt with our deplorable run defense, chasm-like secondary needs, or went after an offensive threat...but we draft a QB project...one I'm worried about playing in the weather conditions in Buffalo...at 16 he should be worth a franchise value. I am sorry but nothing less.

This being said, he would have been there in the second for us without a doubt and this was a gross reach, possibly the largest reach in recent draft history. I would have liked this pick with one of our two second round picks. We had better take a safety cuz until Byrd figures out a contract deal, it's Williams back there and Gilmore and mckelvin...forgive me for not liking the sound of that, or our current line backing corps (unless Dansby signs)

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they panic? I think they wanted to keep the picks they got from the Rams rather than trade back up and lose them. They got the guy they wanted instead of risking him going to any of the several teams before them in round 2 and there is good depth at WR, TE and LB in the coming rounds. I'm not worried about the line too much; I think we'll figure it out.

Edited by Big C

What makes you so certain that if Manuel was still available late 1st, Philly wouldn't have moved up to assure that they got him before the Bills? It would have been rather costly for them to move back to mid 1st from the 36th pick, bottom 1st from 36 not so much.

I love what this says about Marrone. I'm sure he could've used the WCO he used at Syracuse and moved the chains a bit with Nassib or Barkley, who would've been "safer" picks.

Choosing Manuel tells me he realizes to win in the NFL his scheme needs to be more than dink and dunk. He's challenging himself to evolve beyond what worked for him at Syracuse and attack defenses in multiple ways. 'Just give me someone with all the tools and I'll teach him the mental side of the game.' It's a sign of confidence.

I really was thinking Nassib was going to be the pick. Living in Florida now 10 years, and watching EJ, I can say he is a very talented QB and could be a great QB with some development. With a buffer in the form of Kevin Kolb, I think he could develop into something special.

For some reason however I am still high on Kevin Kolb and believe he has much more to prove in the NFL. I think the front office knew the high side of Nassib already and wanted to get their money out of Kolb for a few seasons. Geno wasn't on their radar screen IMO, and Barkley had a question mark due to his injury past. I think Nassib will now get drafted by the Jets within the next 2 rounds because they want intel on Marrone.

If they don't I could see Nassib slipping further to the later rounds.

Who knows, bills could draft him with a late pick as a backup. Look at RG3 and Cousins.

Round 2 predication, I know this is a stretch but Manti Te'o!

Good god people. First, let me preface by saying out of all the QB prospects, I favored Manuel the most. I respect this kids raw talent and potential....

That being said, 16th pick overall?!? With Dee Milliner available at 8, Kenny Vaccaro at 16, in addition to many other defensive and offensive players, there was absolutely no reason to take Manuel at any point in the first round. The Bills, post trade back, still should not have taken him in the first. He would have been there for us in the second regardless because I have always said, and it was proven today, no quarterback in this draft is worth a first round pick. And teams choices today supported that. We could have dealt with our deplorable run defense, chasm-like secondary needs, or went after an offensive threat...but we draft a QB project...one I'm worried about playing in the weather conditions in Buffalo...at 16 he should be worth a franchise value. I am sorry but nothing less.

This being said, he would have been there in the second for us without a doubt and this was a gross reach, possibly the largest reach in recent draft history. I would have liked this pick with one of our two second round picks. We had better take a safety cuz until Byrd figures out a contract deal, it's Williams back there and Gilmore and mckelvin...forgive me for not liking the sound of that, or our current line backing corps (unless Dansby signs)

What makes you think he'd be there in the second? He'd pass right through Jax, Philly, Arizona and NYJ? I wouldn't bet on it.

That being said, 16th pick overall?!? With Dee Milliner available at 8, Kenny Vaccaro at 16.

This being said, he would have been there in the second for us without a doubt and this was a gross reach

To your first sentence, Patrick Peterson is a great DB. What did he do to affect the fortunes of the Cardinals. I'll answer that for you.

Nothing.

No quarterback = no success

To your second sentence, your sentence is the "gross reach."

Care to explain that only two quarterbacks accepted the invitation to the draft?

What would you say about Manuel's comments that he was confident he'd go in the first round and that the Bills, Browns, and Eagles all loved him?

You have zero clue if he would have been there in the second round and in fact, you're probably very wrong about that.

How do you know that? The Bills obviously had Manuel rated the highest. So why, just because other teams didn't take other players, are you sure Manuel would not have been taken?

You just don't know.

I guarantee a 1-2 QBs are going to be selected before we pick again at 41. So if we really wanted Manuel there was no way in hell to know he would be available at 41. I would think little chance. The teams that need QBs are all at the beginning of the second round.

I love what this says about Marrone. I'm sure he could've used the WCO he used at Syracuse and moved the chains a bit with Nassib or Barkley, who would've been "safer" picks.

Choosing Manuel tells me he realizes to win in the NFL his scheme needs to be more than dink and dunk. He's challenging himself to evolve beyond what worked for him at Syracuse and attack defenses in multiple ways. 'Just give me someone with all the tools and I'll teach him the mental side of the game.' It's a sign of confidence.

and the fact that no other qb was taken shows us that most of the teams werent at all impressed w the qb class this year

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/18540-jp-losman-pre-draft-articles/

Scary the similarities. I don't like the pick. They would have taken him at 8th if they couldn't have found a trade partner. He won't help until 2014 at the earliest IF he develops. Now the expectations will be huge- FRANCHISE QB- and they will rush him into starting. This organization has not been right in a very long time, don't see much with EJ to convince me right now that it will turn out any differently this time. They could have filled a couple of other needs and with players that will start much sooner and still had a choice of 3-4 QB's with their 2nd pick in the 2nd.

Sad to see Polian does not like the pick at all, and all of the other ESPN negativity. What the hell? They probably said the same about Kaepernick.

I've been an EJ Man for months. I am really happy, and even happier that he's a really good kid and that he is so motivated.

I think that EJ is perfect for the new NFL. Excellent picking up more quality draft picks

and the fact that no other qb was taken shows us that most of the teams werent at all impressed w the qb class this year

which makes me love it even more. It shows that in a weaker class. We got the best one there. Or at least our pick of whoever we wanted and clearly who we thought would be the best.

which makes me love it even more. It shows that in a weaker class. We got the best one there. Or at least our pick of whoever we wanted and clearly who we thought would be the best.

wonder how long these QBs will last in the 2nd rd..??