Can We Get Rid Of Aaron Williams Quick Enough?

BuffBill

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of Aaron Williams at this point is just stupid.

He's young. Athletic. And he's going into a defense that is less predictable and, hopefully, brings more pressure. The Bills must give him a chance in this defense. He may be (prolly not, but) the best press CB in NFL History. Since they're not going anywhere in 2013, I think it's important to evaluate their current assets before investing in replacements.

This.

I am surprised he made statements like this. In past he has done things which should endear him to the Buffalo Faithful such as attending High School Football Games on Friday Nights and tweeting what game he will be at. Fans that have met him in public say that he is very approachable and a good guy. A new system is probably just what he needs to turn it around.

Not making excuses for the guy, but it would also be good to keep in mind that the Rock is HUGE again right now. He just won Royal Rumble mere hours before these tweets went out, so Im sure that had something to do with it. I dont think Aaron Williams thought "these fans should know their roles", as much as it was just a topical tweet to shut someone up.

Twitter, Facebook those are more personal than TSW. This place is a fan forum for posting your opinion of a player performance. It is what it's for. If a player comes here and reads something he doesn't like that is on him for coming into our "home". But a player's twitter or facebook account is their home, and is on par with sending hate mail. If you want to tell the player himself how you feel about him, say it to their face don't hide behind your keyboard. If you want to vent about a player to your fellow fans your in the right place.

Twitter, Facebook those are more personal than TSW. This place is a fan forum for posting your opinion of a player performance. It is what it's for. If a player comes here and reads something he doesn't like that is on him for coming into our "home". But a player's twitter or facebook account is their home, and is on par with sending hate mail. If you want to tell the player himself how you feel about him, say it to their face don't hide behind your keyboard. If you want to vent about a player to your fellow fans your in the right place.

Yeah, let me just call up a professional player so he can meet me while I tell him he sucks. Cmon now.

Why are people saying he's a safety? Has any of the Bills' staff said anything of the sort?

I remeber when they drafted him Buddy mentioned safety was a possibility but they wanted to try him at corner first.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Buddy_Nix_on_2nd_Rd_Pick_Aaron_Williams/475aa86b-553e-4568-b4f6-ddd5df7b8ef1

The so-called draft experts had him going late 1st, some to the Steelers. This was viewed at the time as a good pick. He may pan out. Our entire defense was horrifying last year. With good coaching and a pass rush, this kid may pan out to be a solid contributor to a good defense.

Here's to hoping that finally having good coaching and an exciting scheme will bring out the best in him and the rest of the defensive unit. Leadership does make a difference. Our team has had none for far too long! Here is an interesting article from before the 2011 draft about Williams and how he was viewed (I assume it's possible that he still has a chance to turn out OK):

http://www.burntoran...-aaron-williams

We're all very hopeful that better defensive coaching will turn around the careers of several Bills defenders.

There's actually a chance that our wishing and hoping might actually have some substance to it this time.

Here's a piece in the Buffalo News by Mark Gaughan which basically confirmed what all of us were saying last season: that the Bills D was unimaginative, didn't blitz or stunt enough and was over-reliant on a soft zone scheme:

http://www.buffalone...ills-drive-1082

The Bills blitzed on just 15 percent of pass plays under Dave Wannstedt in 2012, according to News figures. Buffalo ranked last in the NFL in blitzing the quarterback, according to ESPN.

Overall, the amount of heat on the quarterback the Bills produced was insufficient. The proof is the Bills were terrible at getting off the field. They ranked 31st on third downs, allowing opponents to convert 44 percent in that situation. And it wasn't just because the run defense was bad. They were bad on third and long, too. On third and 6 to 10, they allowed foes to convert 45 percent of pass plays. That says the quarterback was too comfortable in the pocket and the Bills were too predictable.

“They don't move guys,” Kelso said, referring to the front four. “They started to twist and stunt a little more later in the year, but there was not nearly enough movement. Too many times guys would line up on the shoulder they're responsible for and that's the rush they'd take. Sometimes they'd execute a pass rush in that situation. But rarely did they go to the opposite shoulder, rarely did they extend the defense or slant.”

The Bills played too much zone defense, as well; not enough man-to-man coverage. Wannstedt repeatedly stated during the season that his defense was young. It was obvious he didn't trust his secondary to hold up if he devoted more men to the rush. His conservatism failed miserably.

There's plenty of blame to go around for the Bills' 6-10 season. But if Wannstedt had done a decent job, Chan Gailey still would be the head coach.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Yeah, let me just call up a professional player so he can meet me while I tell him he sucks. Cmon now.

We could float the idea by Brandon. The concept would be to have the players sit there while fans buy time to come in and heckle the **** out of them. What's not to like? A few more bills in the old coffers.

We could float the idea by Brandon. The concept would be to have the players sit there while fans buy time to come in and heckle the **** out of them. What's not to like? A few more bills in the old coffers.

Just like the Sit on Santa's lap thing at the mall. Except it's scream profanities at Bills players at the mall.

I don't think this guy has made a play since he was drafted two years ago. He gets burned on almost every play that he is in on. And his Twitter rants are disrespectful to Bills Nation. See link:

http://www.trendingb...know-your-role/

What is worse he was drafted right ahead of Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick? Good job Buddy.

Funny, this time last year everyone was talking about what a great up-and-coming CB he was.

CJ Spiller was the biggest bust for his first three seasons.

PTR

Really? I might give you year one, but in year two when Fred went down, Spiller showed quite a bit of what he can do. Year three, just finished. The only "bust" concerning Spiller was CHAN GAILEY's refusal to utilize Spiller....

Except athletes are people too, with their own friends and family that they would like to keep in touch with just like the rest of us. They should be able to use these services like the rest of us without being personally attacked on a consistent basis.

I totally agree. I don't care one bit what he tweets. But make no mistake, he is a lousy player. He is just another example of wasted resources by inept management. He can tweet away for all I care, but hopefully while on another team. Justin Rogers is probably a better player.

Will be a good strong safety with Pettine. Hold onto him for now...

Yeah, he was a bad pick. The first couple of seasons Buddy felt he had to reach for DL in a bad DL draft and then reach for a CB in a bad CB draft and he got a predictable result.

But like you said, there is hope. Maybe he turns into an Antrel Rolle type. Rolle couldn't play a boundary corner either, but he is a good safety.

Some people in Western NY need to get some thicker skins and stop trying to run players out of town for not loving the fans or being knuckleheads. McGahee, Lynch, Whitner and now Williams. None of these guys are saints, but relax! We have enough problems acquiring decent playerslet alone replacing ones.

Williams showed flashes in his rookie year. Then Wanny installed a defense that was just so vanilla and based off the idea that our D-line would produce pressure, it didn't and it hung out DB's all out to dry pretty much none of them really looked good last year. I think you have to give him at least one more year to show some progress before you dump him. I don't get the massive hate on this guy for both what he has produced on the field (I understand why you are disappointed with the guy so far but to the point of cutting him is just silly) and from a personal level.

I paid no attention to the last couple of games of the season..........But, last week we were on the subject of Aaron Williams, before this BS, and my friend did go to and watch the last few games, and said that Williams actually looked quite good after coming back from his injury.

Did anybody else see this?

I agree with the post on a possibility of Williams as a Strong Safety. He's big, and fast and seems skills are more suited to safety. I wouldn't cut him yet. Pettine's defense is much different than the Stache (It Works). He could end up being a good interior DB. He'll never be a standout cover corner, and that is what is needed for a Pettine defense. The good news is the CB draft class is very deep, and WR not bad either. Look for us to pick up a QB and a CB with the first two draft picks.

I don't think this guy has made a play since he was drafted two years ago. He gets burned on almost every play that he is in on. And his Twitter rants are disrespectful to Bills Nation. See link:

What is worse he was drafted right ahead of Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick? Good job Buddy.

We have to quit running young black football players out of town because our white fans don't like how they react to our abuse.. Still wish we had Lynch. Whitner sucks so bad he's on the best defense in the league.

I totally agree. I don't care one bit what he tweets. But make no mistake, he is a lousy player. He is just another example of wasted resources by inept management. He can tweet away for all I care, but hopefully while on another team. Justin Rogers is probably a better player.

Bill you have always been spot on when it comes to Oline. But Rogers is horrible. Williams may not be better. They both stink at corner.

Can Williams play safety? Maybe. Can Pettine can come in an light a fire under a few butts on D? Maybe.

I am sure Williams will be given every opportunity to show what he has this pre-season.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

So the reason he is such an awful corner is that he such an awesome safety.

Everything has an explanation--sweet!

I don't get that either. If the guy sucks in coverage, he sucks in coverage. Moving him to safety doesn't fix that and safeties have to cover people these days as well. With the 3, 4, 5 WR spread sets and little, quick guys like Welker that can get open, catch, and run after the catch, having a safety that sucks in coverage really isn't a winning formula.

So the reason he is such an awful corner is that he such an awesome safety.

Everything has an explanation--sweet!

I don't get that either. If the guy sucks in coverage, he sucks in coverage. Moving him to safety doesn't fix that and safeties have to cover people these days as well. With the 3, 4, 5 WR spread sets and little, quick guys like Welker that can get open, catch, and run after the catch, having a safety that sucks in coverage really isn't a winning formula.

Probably the thought is that safeties are a bit more run-centric players and their flaws in the passing game are not quite as exposed at safety as they are at cornerback.

Three of the starting 4 safeties in today's Super Bowl are average to poor pass defenders: Whitner, Goldson, and Pollard.

Also, safeties typically play a much different type of coverage than do cornerbacks, playing deeper, backpedaling less, etc.

When he was drafted I quickly reviewed all reports about him and nothing stood out that justified him being rated so high. Plus I'm leary of underclassman going pro that lacks game changing qualities e.g. ball-skills, turnovers and instincts...It seems that OBD doesn't view these as important characteristic for the position. I'm still hoping that this coaching staff will use some of the qualities that were deem encouraging after his junior year e.g. blitzing ability from the slot and run support. Time will tell...

Edited by pimp 2

Some people in Western NY need to get some thicker skins and stop trying to run players out of town for not loving the fans or being knuckleheads. McGahee, Lynch, Whitner and now Williams. None of these guys are saints, but relax! We have enough problems acquiring decent playerslet alone replacing ones.

+1

Well it's a different animal i think. I dont consider the two positions interchangeable.

I would like to hope that Williams would do better at the position keeping plays in front of him.

But heck i am not sure that he can do even that.

He does tackle well though

Probably the thought is that safeties are a bit more run-centric players and their flaws in the passing game are not quite as exposed at safety as they are at cornerback.

Three of the starting 4 safeties in today's Super Bowl are average to poor pass defenders: Whitner, Goldson, and Pollard.

Also, safeties typically play a much different type of coverage than do cornerbacks, playing deeper, backpedaling less, etc.

Neither of these teams need what we need on defense. Shuffling this DB around to find out he won't suck somewhere isn't a good start for getting to the SB.