[closed]Stop hiring who "you know", when others have much bett

Chuckknox

This will end as a train wreck, one friend - OK fine, but come on already!!!!!

Trying to be be too cute here and show the world how smart they are, the youngest staff in the NFL.

It will be fine as long as they produce, as soon as they don't watch out

Trying to be be too cute here and show the world how smart they are, the youngest staff in the NFL.

You mean the players? I agree. With Pettine we are getting a coach who knows how to motivate defensive "superstars" like Dareus and Williams. He also will implement a multi front system (rather than a base package for every down). With that said, this defense should improve greatly if the players produce.

I dont have a problem with him hiring people he is familiar with, in fact, you could argue that its a good thing because he knows what he is getting and wants that.

Besides, I have found no negative in the hiring of Marrone (and I will admit he was not high on my list initially because I did not know enough about him) as everything coming out about him has been hugely positive. The fact he bought the OC he wanted to run the O he wants is fine with me...and the hiring of Pettine and the Jets DB coach were slam dunks for me.

That being said, I am not thrilled with the ST hire, not because he has a relationship with our HC though...because his track record has been very poor. Only 1 season in Det ST was not ranked in the bottom third of the league...same for his time in Carolina. Not exactly a winning resume, but then again, you never know how much that has to do with the ST coach or the ST players as ST's isnt exactly where teams put their best talent. So it comes down to a teams commitment to ST, and that varies a lot around the league.

Why can't people allow someone to make their own hiring instead of "meddling like Ralph.

1) You have no idea what parameters have been established for the hire... budget, experience, specific expertise.

2) You wouldn't hire anyone that was not in lock step with your plan or anyone that you could not trust.

3) You have no idea who has been approached, who has inquired about coaching openings and who has turned down any offers.

Since Marrone took over. Not one damn game has been lost, not one damn player has been injured, not one damn player has been cut, not one damn player has been re-signed, not one damn player has been drafted, not one damn Free agent has been signed, and lastly. NOT ONE DAMN PERSON KNOWS HOW THIS HIRE IS GOING TO PLAY OUT.

So, why don't people just STFU about this hire and stuff they are totally cluless about it. If you don't want to buy Bills tix, Bills pens, Bills, T shirts, Bills hats,.. DON'T.

I mean Marrone has proffesional working relationships with every damn one of these people. WTF do you want.... already established mindsets like Lovie, Norv, Whiz, Mularkey, Crennel? They haven't established any track record of or willingness to adapt to their personnel.... they are SYSTEM guys.

Anyone still out there with an open mind?

"It will be fine as long as they produce, as soon as they don't watch out"

When is this not true for any staff?

Exactly.

Unless the OP is referring to someone who is more experienced and thus has been through a rough stretch where you lose a couple games because you just got beat. I want to give this staff the benefit of the doubt for now. I like them being younger. I think players like having coaches who can relate to them. You need discipline and order but you also need to understand your players.

A 60+ y/o guy has a hard time doing that.

The special teams coach & i even say the possibility of the HC hire could be considered the hiring of a friend or homer.

Because as it was so overly stated by the Bills FO as a exhaustive & thorough search for a HC it was not ...

LOL...Some people realty don't get it. Just because a job is available it doesn't mean everyone wants it. It is a good thing to have already established a relationship with the person you are working with because it would suck to have hired him then realize that the people aren't on the same page.

Like Big Papi reported in another thread, this is someone's track record the season before coming to Buffalo:

Punt Coverage ranked 30th in the NFL

Punt Return Average ranked 31st in the NFL

Kickoff Coverage ranked 31st in the NFL

Kickoff Return Average ranked 32nd in the NFL

And who's brilliant resume is that? Bobby April.

Bobby April who some people scream to bring back. I'm not saying everyone needs to drink the kool-aid, but I'm at least willing to cut the coaching and his hires some slack. He's still 0-0 in the NFL.

Not only is "Stop hiring who "you know", when others have much better track" ridiculous, it's also not true. His entire defensive staff are people he didn't "know", because they have a "track record". So you don't want him to hire anyone he knows?

Do you have a history of working with Mike?

“No, but I have admired his work for a number of years and his reputation in this league is impeccable. Mike comes highly recommended from a number of sources, both within and outside the NFL.”

Why can't people allow someone to make their own hiring instead of "meddling like Ralph.

1) You have no idea what parameters have been established for the hire... budget, experience, specific expertise.

2) You wouldn't hire anyone that was not in lock step with your plan or anyone that you could not trust.

3) You have no idea who has been approached, who has inquired about coaching openings and who has turned down any offers.

Since Marrone took over. Not one damn game has been lost, not one damn player has been injured, not one damn player has been cut, not one damn player has been re-signed, not one damn player has been drafted, not one damn Free agent has been signed, and lastly. NOT ONE DAMN PERSON KNOWS HOW THIS HIRE IS GOING TO PLAY OUT.

So, why don't people just STFU about this hire and stuff they are totally cluless about it. If you don't want to buy Bills tix, Bills pens, Bills, T shirts, Bills hats,.. DON'T.

I mean Marrone has proffesional working relationships with every damn one of these people. WTF do you want.... already established mindsets like Lovie, Norv, Whiz, Mularkey, Crennel? They haven't established any track record of or willingness to adapt to their personnel.... they are SYSTEM guys.

Pass the damn ham

Great post. You summed up exactly why I have remained relatively silent on the coaching search/hiring process. I feel that I will add nothing to the conversation besides useless speculation. I am excited for what the Bills are doing, however, and I will give them a fair shot to implement their beliefs on the organization.

I. Love. You. Man.

The special teams coach & i even say the possibility of the HC hire could be considered the hiring of a friend or homer.

Because as it was so overly stated by the Bills FO as a exhaustive & thorough search for a HC it was not ...

How is the HC hire a "friend or homer" hire? ...Because Russ Brandon was born in Syracuse? BS. The interviewed several coaches and hired the most impressive one, one that was also being courted by at least 5 teams.

Everyone should just relax and trust the "new Front Office" at OBD, for chissakes. Unlike the regime they just replaced, they did what they said they would do in "leaving no stone unturned" in assembling the new caoching staff.

The good news is that by transplanting the Syracuse coaching staff to Buffalo, there is a chance that, in 4 years, we could pull up to .500 ball. That means we may get to have alternating losing and winning seasons. Chill out.

Namaste, MOFOs.

Great post. You summed up exactly why I have remained relatively silent on the coaching search/hiring process. I feel that I will add nothing to the conversation besides useless speculation. I am excited for what the Bills are doing, however, and I will give them a fair shot to implement their beliefs on the organization.

+1

How is the HC hire a "friend or homer" hire? ...Because Russ Brandon was born in Syracuse? BS. The interviewed several coaches and hired the most impressive one, one that was also being courted by at least 5 teams.

Exactly. Plus, if we had waited another day or 2, another team like the Browns or Eagles would have hired him instead.

"It will be fine as long as they produce, as soon as they don't watch out"

When is this not true for any staff?

Very good question, but far too logical for this OP/thread. :thumbsup:

BAM! A super-sized TROOTH sammich to munch on right there!! :worthy: :worthy:

AMEN BROTHER!

I agree with the OP 1oo%.

1.Pettine was a good hire. Good track record.

2. Hackett- no experience but can implement Marrone's offense.

3.O'neill- never been a full position coach in the NFL.

Special teams coach- record says he's a hack.

All other positional coaches- unimpressive.

I will say this. EVERY coach seems to hire people from their past rather than looking at the best candidate.

No reason to TRUST this team as they have been getting it wrong for 13 years.

HoweverI will drink the Kool-aid and shut up.

Bills just hired Anthony Weaver, 32, as defensive line coach. He has a whole 2 years NFL experience as assistant def line coach with the Jets under Pettine. I'm just saying. He played for Baltimore when Pettine was there so he knows him well.

It is interesting that both the Pettine and Crossman hires reflect cases where the incumbent teams wanted to keep the coach, but they opted out and instead jumped ship on their own to Marrone' staff. Hard to know if there were common reasons for this, or if each had different reasons.

To complain.

PTR

It is interesting that both the Pettine and Crossman hires reflect cases where the incumbent teams wanted to keep the coach, but they opted out and instead jumped ship on their own to Marrone' staff. Hard to know if there were common reasons for this, or if each had different reasons.

Both Cords where working for HC that in all likely hood will be fired next year when there teams have a poor showing.

I also think both guys see what the Bills are doing and want to be a part of turning around a team that has some talent on it.

They both probably took a look at the roster and said 'how where these guys 6-10'?

And they both probably liked Marrone and when interviewed liked what they heard and saw.

In Pettines case he gets the chance to prove he is as good a DC as Ryan.

Both Ryan and Schwartz seem like the type of guys you either love working for or get tired of it after awhile.

This is all just speculation. But so is thinking that hiring guys you like working with who are young a bad move.

So much complaining.

Did some of you expect Marrone to steal the top defensive line coach in the NFL.

Search the country for the greatest coach running backs have ever seen? We should have given the RB coach for the Vikings a truck load of money.

People are already calling the next 3 years a failure because of the secondary coach or special teams coach? Sad.

Dr. Tooth has an ache. Time to drill. Not time to rant. Time will tell and than everyone can be back on a bnd wagon. Circle em now. Go Mr. Tooth

Sorry, but I have to ask...is the spelling of your screen name intentional?

I would have rather had Bruce as the ST coach. His units performed way better than Detroit. This hire is a head scratcher.

I dunno, it makes some sense to me. Marrone has never worked with DeHaven and the Bills' ST units were not stellar. Instead, he hired an experienced coach with whom he has familiarity and mutual respect. We don't know the specific reasons why Detroit's STs were bad; obviously Marrone doesn't think it's because Crossman is a bad coach. What's not to understand?

Fascinating to me that so many posters, like the OP, are experts on qualifications of position coaches in the NFL. I guess they are really upset they were not asked their opinion. All senior mangers hire people they know and trust when possible, or at least backgrounds they know and trust. This is how organizations are built. It is no surprise that when you hire the Jets DC for example, he brings along people he worked with, is it? Or that when you hire a HC he turns to others he knows and trusts? Position coaches will not make or break this thing. It will take the whole staff buying into a philosophy and being able to instill that in the players. Anybody have any real input on the skills of the position coaches on their ability to do that? The coordinators seem capable to me.

I dunno, it makes some sense to me. Marrone has never worked with DeHaven and the Bills' ST units were not stellar. Instead, he hired an experienced coach with whom he has familiarity and mutual respect. We don't know the specific reasons why Detroit's STs were bad; obviously Marrone doesn't think it's because Crossman is a bad coach. What's not to understand?

DeHaven had them performing pretty good statistically. Way better than Detroit. Continuity man, continuity. Whats not to understand?

DeHaven had them performing pretty good statistically. Way better than Detroit. Continuity man, continuity. Whats not to understand?

I can work with person A with whom I've never worked before -- his resume is decent but not stellar, particularly recently.

I can work with person B with whom I've coached before and have familiarity -- his resume is decent but not stellar, particularly recently.

Hmm....

Translation = You aren't hiring anyone I've heard of before, so you must be doing something wrong.

YYYyyyyaaaaawwwwwwnnn ......

I have no problem with the hires. I manage 4 people at my job. If i ever got a much better job, i would absolutely take these folks with me (if I could). If your support staff is a key to your success and you know they do great work, why not bring them along?

I agree about the ST coach looking like a not-so-great hire. I wonder about Jim Schwartz's commitment to keeping special teams players and what went on there? something doesn't seem right about that Detroit situation.