Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Lovie would be fine as DC but personally, I'd prefer someone with a more aggressive philosophy. I want to attack the ball. Horton comes to mind, if he can transition his system to a 4-3. Or Schafer. The cover-2 to me is not ideal - it can be beaten with proper execution. And the Patriots always have textbook execution. That's why they almost always destroy cover-2 defenses.

The Bears are pretty aggressive it seems to me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovie would be fine as DC but personally, I'd prefer someone with a more aggressive philosophy. I want to attack the ball. Horton comes to mind, if he can transition his system to a 4-3. Or Schafer. The cover-2 to me is not ideal - it can be beaten with proper execution. And the Patriots always have textbook execution. That's why they almost always destroy cover-2 defenses.

Horton has been retained in Arizona, they only fired the offensive coaches, so he is either going to be a head coach somewhere or back as their DC unless the new coach convinces Arizona to fire him and get their own guys...

@JoeBuscaglia: League source tells me #Bills are going to approach the defensive coordinator position very aggressively.

I'm loving this! If they could somehow swing Lovie Smith (a long shot to be sure) we could get him as DC to pacify his fans while keeping an offensive minded team builder as HC.

Now that the initial disappointment of not getting the guys I personally targeted has worn off, I'm very open to this hire.

-I like the idea of having somebody young and hungry in the HC role, after trudging through the Jauron/Gailey years. It's a 24/7, high-pressure job and therefore a young man's game.

-Does anybody remember Drew Brees as a Charger? I'd venture to say he was not vastly superior to Fitzpatrick. When Payton and Marrone got a hold of him, his potential was unlocked. Couple that with people saying Nassib was not highly rated, we may have a bit of a QB guru on our hands.

-Saw Herm Edwards on ESPN this morning talking about Marrone's time as Edwards' o-line coach here in NJ...Marrone transitioned Brandon Moore from defensive tackle into a Pro Bowl OG.

-Marrone was apparently a finalist for the Browns in addition to meeting with SD at length last night. Eagles also appear to have had interest. This is very unlike both the Jauron and Gailey hires in that he was a target of other teams. Schefter calling him the hottest candidate on the market I find very very encouraging.

-How about the big brass balls on Russ Brandon? Would've been so much easier to justify Lovie or Whisenhunt to his angry season ticket clientele. Doesn't make this a better hire in itself, but at least he's trying to win rather than trying to appease us.

I think there's plenty of reason to be cautiously optimistic here.

Yes, Marrone is known as a very good developer of QB's...actually, it has been said he has gotten guys in Syracuse that aren't highly touted, that come in as 2 star recruits, but leave as NFL draft picks...most recent case being Chandler Jones, who got drafted in the 1st round last year by the Pats...

Marrone is very, very well regarded by both Payton and Parcells...two guys that know something about coaching...

The Bears are pretty aggressive it seems to me.

I don't view their defense as very aggressive. They are very fundamentally sound, but they're not a pressure-based defense. And Lovie's defense relies on two things the Bills don't really have: speed on the edge of the line, and rangy linebackers. Apparently his system takes 3-5 years before it really becomes natural to the defenders who play in it.

Again, it's nit-picking. I'd love to add someone with experience like Lovie. I'm just saying that in a perfect world, I'd prefer a more aggressive, attack-oriented defense.

Horton has been retained in Arizona, they only fired the offensive coaches, so he is either going to be a head coach somewhere or back as their DC unless the new coach convinces Arizona to fire him and get their own guys...

While I somewhat expect Horton to be back with the Cards, it also could be that he is pissed at them for not hiring him and doesn't want to be there anymore, in which case the new coach would probably want him out, or, a team like the Bills could simply make him Assistant Head Coach, and totally hand over the defense to him (which I just read that Marrone pretty much did at Syracuse).

I don't view their defense as very aggressive. They are very fundamentally sound, but they're not a pressure-based defense. And Lovie's defense relies on two things the Bills don't really have: speed on the edge of the line, and rangy linebackers. Apparently his system takes 3-5 years before it really becomes natural to the defenders who play in it.

Again, it's nit-picking. I'd love to add someone with experience like Lovie. I'm just saying that in a perfect world, I'd prefer a more aggressive, attack-oriented defense.

Agreed.

Some people might think of this move as: "Here we go again w/ this old song. Been played more times than 'Stairway to Heaven/Free Bird' at closing time.

But I like the fact that he has a connection w/ upstate NY already established coming from SU. I see that as a huge positive over the other candidates that would be coming in from other locals. He knows the people, knows the weather, been around some of the areas and so forth. So, the decision has been made and I wish him well.

I'am concerned about one thing with him, though. He will have to face Bellichick & Ryan twice a year and I think that in the first year or so, he might get schooled quite a bit. More so from Bellichick than Ryan. But nevertheless the Big East is not the NFL, and he also has to face John Harbough next season as well as other veteran coaches. This I'm concerned with.

If there's some Bills fans that have followed SU's football program during his tenure & would like to shed some light on this guy's coaching abilityies & expertise that can dispell this concern, your 2 cents will be appreciated. Thanx.

he's got history with herm edwards, bill parcells and sean payton...hopefully they helped him in dealing with veteran opposing coaches...

Some people might think of this move as: "Here we go again w/ this old song. Been played more times than 'Stairway to Heaven/Free Bird' at closing time.

But I like the fact that he has a connection w/ upstate NY already established coming from SU. I see that as a huge positive over the other candidates that would be coming in from other locals. He knows the people, knows the weather, been around some of the areas and so forth. So, the decision has been made and I wish him well.

I'am concerned about one thing with him, though. He will have to face Bellichick & Ryan twice a year and I think that in the first year or so, he might get schooled quite a bit. More so from Bellichick than Ryan. But nevertheless the Big East is not the NFL, and he also has to face John Harbough next season as well as other veteran coaches. This I'm concerned with.

If there's some Bills fans that have followed SU's football program during his tenure & would like to shed some light on this guy's coaching abilityies & expertise that can dispell this concern, your 2 cents will be appreciated. Thanx.

You negative people are nuts. This guy turned around a prorgam at SU that was dead and buried. He use a QB named Paulus his 1st year that hadn't played football in 4 years and wa scompeeteive. His def coordiantor schaefer blitzed and drove teams nuits at times. Marone is a no nonsense type of guy. look for nassib, Lemon and Thomas to come aboard via teh draft and h hopefully we get Scot Svhaefer as def coordiantor. Solid choice as this guy reminds me of a young bill parcelss!!!

Great! We can lock up all the best Syracuse players (and coordinators), from a Big East team, one of the weakest conferences in college ball. We might do pretty good if we were going to play in the Big East.

Seriously I pray he doesn't do that as it would indicate he is blinded by prior relationships, and incapable of looking at the big picture. I'll reserve judgement on the guy til we see what he can do. I do hope we get lucky (if you spin the wheel a hundred times there is a chance you land on a Belichick). And we've been spinning the wheel a lot. But please, spare me the sales job that he turned around a Syracuse team. Big Whoop.

Now that the decision is done all we can do is hope for the best.

Edited by Georgia Bill

Considering these 2 tweets (both from around the same time) are not mutually exclusive, I suppose I understand where Sal is coming from--- if both of these are true. But it sounds like it may be a formality:

EDIT: I'll also add it's not necessarily clear that "Marrone still a candidate elsewhere" is Brandon speaking or Sal editorializing. I'd guess the latter.

Jerry Sullivan@TBNSully

Russ Brandon confirms by text that the Bills have agreed in principle to hire Doug Marrone as new head coach. Brandon called him "dynamic".

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Just got text from Brandon - Marrone deal NOT done yet. Mostly done, but not complete. Might take all day. Marrone still candidate elsewhere

Oh man why isn't warrow getting these texts too. Bummer man

Interesting reading if you haven't seen this. Like the attention to detail. Almost Belichick-ish...

http://www.dailyoran...tailed-strategy

(link from ESPN comments section of Walker's blog)

Thanks for that. Another excellent article even if a few years old. It's hard not to like him and the hire more after reading some background like that.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterFiled to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.LET'S GO!!!!

Here is what I like about the pick of Marrone as head coach: they didn't pick Jim Haslett or Ken Whisenhut.

Here is what I don't know: Is Marrone some diamond in the rough that will turn into a Hall of Fame coach?

Here is what I know: The Bills, in their infinite wisdom, searched the length and breadth of the nation for the best football coach in America and came up with Marrone. The best football coach they could find without any limitations and they found him at one of the major football powers in the country: Syracuse!

Seriously, why was I born and raised in WNY only to be subjected to this unending abuse? The Bills continue to defy logic. I hope Marrone is a great success, but I find it hard to believe he was the number one candidate in America for the Bills.

Yes but people here are much smarter than anyone who covers the NFL full time for a living. Haven't you figured that out yet??

What I find interesting? A lot of fans are bitching but just about every "NFL person" is applauding the move.......

Chip Kelly wasnt coming here

Do you go with a retread that has just been fired?

If you listen to Russ talk last week.....he said he was going to do a exhaustive coaching search (which he did) and he wanted new blood (which he got)

I applaud the move......but just as it would have been with any of the other coaches it is the ASSISTANTS that will determine if this was a great move or not

Yes but people here are much smarter than anyone who covers the NFL full time for a living. Haven't you figured that out yet??

I think a large number of people enjoy the Bills losing (despite protestations otherwise) because it gives them the opportunity to believe 'they know better'. Personally, I'd rather the Bills win and get a therapist.

Edited by jeremy2020

First off, I don't think anyone here claims to see into the future. Doug Marrone may very well become the greatest Bills HC ever. However, I'm extremely skeptical and as I've said, uninspired. You want to B word about people bitching about the pick, go ahead, but it's not like we don't have our reasons.

A 25-25 record and two "Pinstripe Bowl" wins? Yeah that really compares to a close loss to Stanford from being in the BCS National Championship game; a 45-7 record; and stomping one of the most successful coaches in the Fiesta Bowl. Or how about someone fired after a 10-6 season in the NFL [hey it's hard to win in the NFL] (BTW our last double digit winning season? yeah 1999), 5 winning seasons out of 9, only one season worse than 7-9; a SB appearance with a terrible QB named Rex Grossman. Hell, even the other guy, who I hate BTW, had a SB appearance on his resume (though I maintain both winning seasons a product of a Hall of Fame QB and not the coach).

When we were all told that money is no object and nobody was off limits, they trotted out Chang Gailey and said "he's won everywhere he's been." A lot of people knew then and understood, his credentials didn't warrant the post (he was unemployed for crying out loud), and he went 16-42. Awesome. So what can you say about Doug Marrone? He's got a middling record everywhere he's been? Syracuse may be better than they were four years ago, but you cannot even call them a powerhouse in the Big East let alone all of NCAAF. Or compare that experience to being able to rebuild an NFL franchise. "So and so says he's a good coach and that'd he'll be an NFL coach someday", yeah people say a lot of good things about their friends. Football nepotism is rampant, what'd you expect them to say, "I know the guy, he sucks." Marv still says Jauron shouldn't have been fired and was the best choice for us. If Marrone was such a good coach in the NFL, why didn't he even get a chance to call plays in the NFL? Oh yeah, they had Sean Payton.

To me, the choice stinks of a marketing ploy, another one of Brandon's regionalization efforts. And if they pick Nassib, he better be as good as Peyton Manning or else it just looks even more like a joke.

So if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. I, however, am not going to give them that. I see a 5 win or less season coming up, and don't tell me they need time to rebuild. We've seen first year HCs and first year QBs in the playoffs. If we get to the playoffs with this new coach and Fitzpatrick (or some other middling QB), I'll eat crow, but I don't expect to be pulling any feathers out of my teeth anytime soon.

So they better get an elite QB to make this chump look like a champ, or it's 14 straight years without playoffs and more fans foaming at the mouth.

So they better get an elite QB to make this chump look like a champ, or it's 14 straight years without playoffs and more fans foaming at the mouth.

Since this seems to be the thesis of your diatribe, I need to know: for what coach would this NOT be the case?

First off, I don't think anyone here claims to see into the future. Doug Marrone may very well become the greatest Bills HC ever. However, I'm extremely skeptical and as I've said, uninspired. You want to B word about people bitching about the pick, go ahead, but it's not like we don't have our reasons.

A 25-25 record and two "Pinstripe Bowl" wins? Yeah that really compares to a close loss to Stanford from being in the BCS National Championship game; a 45-7 record; and stomping one of the most successful coaches in the Fiesta Bowl. Or how about someone fired after a 10-6 season in the NFL [hey it's hard to win in the NFL] (BTW our last double digit winning season? yeah 1999), 5 winning seasons out of 9, only one season worse than 7-9; a SB appearance with a terrible QB named Rex Grossman. Hell, even the other guy, who I hate BTW, had a SB appearance on his resume (though I maintain both winning seasons a product of a Hall of Fame QB and not the coach).

When we were all told that money is no object and nobody was off limits, they trotted out Chang Gailey and said "he's won everywhere he's been." A lot of people knew then and understood, his credentials didn't warrant the post (he was unemployed for crying out loud), and he went 16-42. Awesome. So what can you say about Doug Marrone? He's got a middling record everywhere he's been? Syracuse may be better than they were four years ago, but you cannot even call them a powerhouse in the Big East let alone all of NCAAF. Or compare that experience to being able to rebuild an NFL franchise. "So and so says he's a good coach and that'd he'll be an NFL coach someday", yeah people say a lot of good things about their friends. Football nepotism is rampant, what'd you expect them to say, "I know the guy, he sucks." Marv still says Jauron shouldn't have been fired and was the best choice for us. If Marrone was such a good coach in the NFL, why didn't he even get a chance to call plays in the NFL? Oh yeah, they had Sean Payton.

To me, the choice stinks of a marketing ploy, another one of Brandon's regionalization efforts. And if they pick Nassib, he better be as good as Peyton Manning or else it just looks even more like a joke.

So if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. I, however, am not going to give them that. I see a 5 win or less season coming up, and don't tell me they need time to rebuild. We've seen first year HCs and first year QBs in the playoffs. If we get to the playoffs with this new coach and Fitzpatrick (or some other middling QB), I'll eat crow, but I don't expect to be pulling any feathers out of my teeth anytime soon.

This "chump" has real NFL coaching experience. How much does Chip Kelly have? I like the fact that he went back to college to get some HC experience with the goal of returning to the NFL as a HC. All coaches come with risk. It is all relative and a matter of opinion until they actually start coaching in games. Personally I believe it was a good hire. If we didn't hire him, Cleveland or SD would have.

Chip Kelly was handed the keys to a brand new Mercedes Benz 500.

Doug Marrone was handed the keys to a junker AMC Pacer that was flooded and burned out.

Simply no comparison.

Marrone deserves a chance given the achievement on his resume.

Disagree. A sales & Marketing guy needs to expand his base. Thats what they do in the NFL small markets. I don't have a link but didn't marone at the end of the season PUT his name out there saying he's available? Wouldn't that partly cause the interest in him. Because on the surface, his record isn't all that impressive, and I understand he took over a turd of a program.

I could see Brandon seeing a hire Kind of in the bills market as a huge plus, in selling inventory. Which is what he's paid to do among other things. A salesman never stops selling.

Did he hire him because brandon is from Syracuse? No way. But money is the bottom line and nobody understands that better than the bills newly minted president.

So, in your opinion hiring Marrone expands the Bills base (sells more tickets) than bringing in Smith or another experienced NFL head coach. Interesting perspective. I guess you have a lower opinion of the intelligence of your average football fan than I do.

ahah, love the sarcasm!

ahh...but if we bring in Lovie as DC/AHC we all of a sudden expand the fan base out to Chicago....see...its marketing brilliance!!!

So, in your opinion hiring Marrone expands the Bills base (sells more tickets) than bringing in Smith or another experienced NFL head coach. Interesting perspective. I guess you have a lower opinion of the intelligence of your average football fan than I do.

I am not happy with this choice at all. This makes no sense to me. This is a college coach with very little success. Now instead of the Bills simply putting the pieces together and creating a winning team next year... I have a feeling we are in another three year rebuilding process. I may be wrong but this just doesnt seem to be in line with changing the culture at OBD. 25 wins and 25 losses at the college level... I hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by ThrowingFitz

My comments on Twitter this morning, most recent first::

Marrone's D-back coach at 'Cuse was Donnie Henderson, and Gary Gibbs, DC with Marrone when at Saints ,also a possibility

#Bills "agressively" looking for DC means coach not in playoff hunt. Hello Lovie, Keith Butler, Jon Hoke, Chuck Cecil

During Marrone's O-Line Coach years (02-05), they were run-first team that featured guy named Curtis Martin.

#Bills might look at 'Cuse DC Scott Shafer. Attitude is dictate to the offense, attack, be unpredictable, aggressive and proactive

Syracuse players in NFL Draft: QB Ryan Nassib RD2; WR Alec Lemon RD3-4; LT Justin Pugh RD2-3; SS Shamarko Thomas RD3

In Marrone's last year as Saints OC, Drew Brees ended season 16 yards short of Dan Marino's single-season record of 5084 total passing yards

Marrone's first game as OC was first post-Katrina home game for Saints in Superdome. They blew out the Falcons 23-3, went on to playoff win.

Marrone's buddies, Saints' OC Pete Carmichael and RunGame Coord. Aaron Kromer, would make nice interviews.

Marrone's RB coach should come to #Bills. He's Tyrone Wheatley, Giants and Raiders RB. He's been on staff since 2010

Syracuse, Boise State and Oregon have had most road victories during the Marrone era. #Bills, not so much. #BillsMafia

Marrone also amped up Saints offense with Brees, then in his 5th year: more plays, attempts, completions, yds, pass rating.

When Marrone was with Saints he had Bush (6'0, 4.3 speed), now he has Spiller (5'11", 4.3 speed) with #Bills #BillsMafia

RussBrandon will save $$$ moving Marrone to #Bills. U-Haul 150 mi West on I-90. Sink savings into orange dome for the Ralph.

When Marrone was with Saints ('06-'08), Saints set records for Passing Yards in a game and Rushing Touchdowns in a season--still stand today

Marrone was told he was new #Bills HC at 2 a.m. --Marrone was up, lifting NHL lockout.

Drew Brees told Scott Pitoniak he “loved working with Marrone because [he] knew offenses inside and out” http://bit.ly/TTUUln

Marrone hire regionalizes #Bills further to the East. First Rochester for TCamp, now 'Cuse.

Carmichael's running game man at Saints, Aaron Kromer, is also available. He coached OL (Madden OL award 2 of last 3 yrs)

We won't know about OC Carmichael until after Tues.--he int's for the Bears HC job

#Bills should look at Pete Carmichael of #Saints for OC. League-high 43 TD, > 5,000 yds for the 3rd time

good stuff...what's your twitter name, i'd like to follow you...

My comments on Twitter this morning, most recent first::

Marrone's D-back coach at 'Cuse was Donnie Henderson, and Gary Gibbs, DC with Marrone when at Saints ,also a possibility

#Bills "agressively" looking for DC means coach not in playoff hunt. Hello Lovie, Keith Butler, Jon Hoke, Chuck Cecil

During Marrone's O-Line Coach years (02-05), they were run-first team that featured guy named Curtis Martin.

#Bills might look at 'Cuse DC Scott Shafer. Attitude is dictate to the offense, attack, be unpredictable, aggressive and proactive

Syracuse players in NFL Draft: QB Ryan Nassib RD2; WR Alec Lemon RD3-4; LT Justin Pugh RD2-3; SS Shamarko Thomas RD3

In Marrone's last year as Saints OC, Drew Brees ended season 16 yards short of Dan Marino's single-season record of 5084 total passing yards

Marrone's first game as OC was first post-Katrina home game for Saints in Superdome. They blew out the Falcons 23-3, went on to playoff win.

Marrone's buddies, Saints' OC Pete Carmichael and RunGame Coord. Aaron Kromer, would make nice interviews.

Marrone's RB coach should come to #Bills. He's Tyrone Wheatley, Giants and Raiders RB. He's been on staff since 2010

Syracuse, Boise State and Oregon have had most road victories during the Marrone era. #Bills, not so much. #BillsMafia

Marrone also amped up Saints offense with Brees, then in his 5th year: more plays, attempts, completions, yds, pass rating.

When Marrone was with Saints he had Bush (6'0, 4.3 speed), now he has Spiller (5'11", 4.3 speed) with #Bills #BillsMafia

RussBrandon will save $$$ moving Marrone to #Bills. U-Haul 150 mi West on I-90. Sink savings into orange dome for the Ralph.

When Marrone was with Saints ('06-'08), Saints set records for Passing Yards in a game and Rushing Touchdowns in a season--still stand today

Marrone was told he was new #Bills HC at 2 a.m. --Marrone was up, lifting NHL lockout.

Drew Brees told Scott Pitoniak he “loved working with Marrone because [he] knew offenses inside and out” http://bit.ly/TTUUln

Marrone hire regionalizes #Bills further to the East. First Rochester for TCamp, now 'Cuse.

Carmichael's running game man at Saints, Aaron Kromer, is also available. He coached OL (Madden OL award 2 of last 3 yrs)

We won't know about OC Carmichael until after Tues.--he int's for the Bears HC job

#Bills should look at Pete Carmichael of #Saints for OC. League-high 43 TD, > 5,000 yds for the 3rd time

And Oregon's record the four years prior was 36-15 so essentially Kelly improved the Ducks winning % from .705 to .868, not bad but had a pretty good starting point. Marrone went from .240 (believe it was 10-31 prior) to ,500. To me that's pretty impressive too and did it at a school that football really isn't even the biggest story. What did Kelly do prior to coaching at Oregon, he was OC at powerhouse New Hampshire, wow!! The big thing about Kelly to me isn't his record as much as the style of offense he runs. One which is highly questionable how well it will work in the NFL. Marrone tended to run a pro-style offense in SU. Kelly could be the most controversial college coach to go to the NFL of all time, makes Spurrier look like Vince Lombardi as far as fitting in. He may be the next greatest coach of all time, but I'd give him a better chance of being fired in four years, or an even higher likelihood of pulling a Spurrier/Saban/Holtz was it and quitting to return to college.

What I find interesting? A lot of fans are bitching but just about every "NFL person" is applauding the move.......

Chip Kelly wasnt coming here

I'll go one step further and say the Bills would have been crazy to bring Kelly here if in fact he is asking for complete control. Experienced NFL coaches can't handle that. No way I'd give a first timer that much authority.