Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't blame the pessimism. We've all been fooled by optimism and the Bills prove us wrong. 13 years! 13 years without the playoffs! That is a disgrace. We'll just have to see how this plays out. Just trying to protect ourselves. It's hard to be a Bills fan :bag: .........

for all those questioning college coach success...keep in mind there have only been 26 coaches to win Super Bowls....of those 5 were directly from College...Switzer, John Robinson(i think) and Bill Walsh(3)...Jimmy Johnson could/should have, Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh the books are still out on...

"Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon, an East Syracuse native, serves on the Syracuse University Sports Management Advisory Board, and has a measure of familiarity with Marrone."

http://www.buffalobi...c3-7d95b2e98331

So, was this a marketing move, or one of cronyism?

I don't know, but as a Bills Fan I will rally behind him and hope that he is up to the task.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez Bill, you've given two possibilities that are awful. How about considering that they believe he's he best person for the job?

I am a diehard Bills fan!! I'm never gonna give up on this team!!

I am scratching my head about this move given the other candidates out there. I wanted a defensive coach so I'll wait for the DC hire to determine how I feel about this move. But hiring a guy that boasts an 8-5 record as evidence he turned a college program around does not inspire me. Losing 5 games in college is not great though the team did finish the season strong with some quality wins. He has NFL experience under Sean Payton so we'll see. Just not inspired...YET.

A coach that believes in responsibility ?

Syracuse coach Doug Marrone punishes himself for practice mistake

August 15, 2012

By Erick Smith, USA TODAY

Veteran observers of college football practice shouldn't be surprised to see players running sprints or doing pushups after mistakes.

At a Syracuse practice, don't be shocked if the coach is also doing some sort of physical punishment.

Doug Marrone stopped drills Tuesday after he became confused about what session was coming next during practice.

Realizing his error, he performed five "up-downs" – when you run in place then drop to the ground and quickly stand and continue running.

"I made a mistake. We hold the players accountable for their own actions, so if I make a mistake I have to hold myself accountable just like the players," Marrone said after practice.

Marrone, a player at Syracuse under Dick McPherson in the early 1980s, said it had been a long time since he did the drill. But he was happy with how he did.

"Probably when Coach Mac was here," Marrone said. "We would have to do 25 before each practice. Coach Mac would've been proud. I don't know if I could have done 25, but the ones I did were to Coach Mac's standards."

What is hilarious is how people are rallying around this hire. Just like they rallied around Jauron and Gailey. How much more info do you need than Marrone finised .500 in the Big East?!?! I really feel sorry for so many of you. Low expectations and low intellect is a terrible combination!

Believe me, I'm as cynical (as I should be) as any Bills fan. And I can understand why there is so many negative comments about this hire. It's called ignorance. When you say he was .500 at Syracuse and act like that is the major red mark against him you simply are uniformed and don't realize that he took over a complete dumpster fire. Syracuse is a horrible program with awful facilities and terrible fan support. Add to that that the location alone puts them in a horrible disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. Plus, PP initiated the death of that program and Greg Robinson took over the dumpster fire and dropped a bomb on it. Do you remember who started for Marrone in his first year as a head coach? Duke's starting point guard who hadn't played football in 5 years! That's what he had when he started.

Marrone had Cuse putting up massive offensive numbers, destroyed a good #9 Lousiville team, beat an SEC team and had his team playing their best at the end of the year. He's a leader with a pedigree that's proven. He's great offensive mind that believes that believes in not forcing his philosophies down his opponents throats (Like Gailey) but having the wherewithal and intelligence to adjust what he's doing to opposing defenses. His offensive attack will be whatever the defense gives you. That's refreshing to me.

What the hell did you expect him to do at Cuse? If it's more than an 8 win season, and a bowl win, you simply don't know anything about college football. He had the same record in the BE that Rutgers and Louisville did.

Great hire. Get on board. The Bills finally did something right for a change so you should be happy.

Because im a huge Syracuse sports fan, I know exactly who he is, and its a joke. An absolute disgusting joke.

Got his start with SP in New Orleans - endorsed by parcels, did a good job improving nassib year over year.... He's not all bad

Here is my wishlist for Head Coach:

1. N. Saban

2. C. Kelly

3. B. Arians

4. R. Horton

5. L. Smith

6. B. Kelly

7. D. O'Brien

8. D. Marrone

9. K. Whisenhunt

10. M. McCoy

I guess 8 out of ten ain't bad! I don't really know enough about the guy to be happy or angry. He was 8-5 at 'cuse, in a weak conference, but was considered a success by some considering where Syracuse has been pre-Marrone. He was New Orleans OC in name only, much like Joe Philbin with the Packers.

I'm indifferent. Don't know what to think. I'll take the wait and see approach before I blast this decision.

Every Bills fan complaining right now should just jump off the ledge and end your misery already. Im not real excited initially either, but he has more experience than "just Syracuse".

Marrone has more Super Bowl rings than Lovie, and much more NFL experience and success than Kelly. Again, I know where a lot of you are coming from. He isnt the "name" that we wanted. But he has the experience and resume.

The most important parts are still who he hires as Coordinators, and how he handles the new incoming QB.

We'll see...

So what were you expecting Marrone to do when he took over at Syracuse? Go 13-0 every season and win the national championship? So what that you went there, do you even know how bad that team was under Greg Robinson? Also as for someone who went to Syracuse, you have know idea how good a coach has to be in order to turn a program that had fallen to that depth of awful around. Pfffft you don't seem to know much about your own school.

Omg

for all those questioning college coach success...keep in mind there have only been 26 coaches to win Super Bowls....of those 5 were directly from College...Switzer, John Robinson(i think) and Bill Walsh(3)...Jimmy Johnson could/should have, Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh the books are still out on...

Jimmy Johnson did win a Superbowl.

You guys are a bunch of whiney trouts. I won't have a true opinion on Marrone until I see what he does for our team. Put it this way... He does NOT suck as a coach. Would we be better with a washed up coach that just got fired or a coach that's proven he can turn a losing team around. I'd go with the latter

This may be the most narrow minded hire in the history of this team. If you dont think Brandon is 100% calling the shots you are sadly mistaken. Brandon is from Syracuse, grew up going to Syracuse games and selfishly, from a marketing perspective figures he can now pull from the central NY market. An 8-5 season in 2012, a 25-25 record is not really "turning things around at Syracuse." I guess we're shooting for mediocrity. Guarantee they waste a first round pick on a fifth round qb in Nassib too. Horrible pick. You suck Brandon.