Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

success is very relative...he turned a very poorly run team into one that was competitive for the past 3 plus years...went to two bowl games(you can question how important bowl games are anymore) and won them. took an unheralded QB and made him one of the most prolific in SU history. Sure he didn't get SU to the upper echelon, but considering where they were, i would call his book of work at SU a successful one....

I just don't see how a single successful season in college football translates into NFL HC of the future. Just don't.

Really? Because I've spoken to multiple Syracuse sports fans this morning about Marrone, and they all told me he's going to do very well in the NFL...please explain why you know more than they do...without the overly-emotional garbage, just some facts please.

Name something, ANYTHING, he has accomplished in Syracuse that translates to the NFL.

Sure. Put together a very good offensive line with the Jets in the early 2000's...put together a very good offense with New Orleans in the late 2000s, and turned a horrible Syracuse football program into a Big East winner.

But again, don't let the facts get in the way of a good crusade.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll take the reasons for your pessimism...

A very good Jets offensive line? Huh? Dreaming much? You mean he had a good offense with Drew Brees and Marques Colston and Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush? SHOCKING!

And even if it was his doing, successfull coordinators do not always make good head coaches. DUH.

You're all (ok, most of you) unbelievable....

Ever since Monday, all I saw was "No more retreads! I'm tired of getting coaches that were fired elsewhere!" OK, so the Bills have gone out and given the job to a guy who will have his first NFL head coaching job and you're still complaining.

Marrone is not new to the NFL. He was the Jets' OL coach for 4 years, where he turned a defensive tackle into a Pro Bowl offensive guard in a year. He was the Saints' OC for three years, where he coached Drew Brees. He's the "hot assistant" that everyone likes, but just because he wasn't an assistant of an NFL team this past year, then he's a cheap nobody?

People - do your research before you flail on about this being a "cheap Brandon marketing" hire. Marrone has the background. Bill Walsh did the exact same thing as Marrone...had a handful of NFL assistant jobs before he became the HC at Stanford. He went from Stanford to the 49ers and did pretty well.

Let's not jump to this being a bad hire just because Marrone's name isn't Lovie Smith.

Edited by BuffaloWings

You guys are forgetting that Syracuse was bad last year and had a terrible start to this year. They were 2-4! If he didn't end the season 6-1 he probably gets fired from Syracuse! Now just because he won some games against terrible big east competition with his job on the line he's a great coach? I'm not sold

I see A LOT of very upset optimists because the realists see that this was a truly horrible move.

And the funny thing is im USUALLY an optimistic. I supported Gailey from day 1. Jauron from day 1. Mularkey from day 1. Not this guy.

The issue is that you have already declared him as terrible and a failure (people were already calling him Doug Moron, not you) before we've even had a chance to see how he can do. I can understand not being on board with the hire, but to declare him a failure within an hour of him being our head coach is a bit ridiculous, no?

Except for Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, and...oh well...again, the facts don't really interest you do they?

Why can't you just give this guy a chance?

You named three coaches in the 92 year history of the NFL, one is a retread and only one winning a championship. GOLD!!!! LOL

I see A LOT of very upset optimists because the realists see that this was a truly horrible move.

And the funny thing is im USUALLY an optimistic. I supported Gailey from day 1. Jauron from day 1. Mularkey from day 1. Not this guy.

So that means Marrone will be successful because it is obvious by supporting those 3 losers you know what you are doing! Haha that's funny.

Syracuse fans, the same fans that have football program that hasn't been in the Top 5 since.... long before the Bills' Super Bowl years??!

HAHAHAAAAA. Joke.

Clearly, you didn't keep up with the discussion Literal and I were having...since he claimed--AS A SYRACUSE FAN--to know that the hire was a joke. I said that I'd spoken to other Syracuse fans that didn't view it that way.

So...yeah...if you're going to diss the opinion of a Syracuse fan, then which way are you discrediting it?

Next time, pay attention to what you're saying.

Initial knee jerk reaction to this news I just woke up to:

• Fresh blood...kinda like that idea.
  • OC for the Saints...kinda like that idea too, but...
  • The guy has a .500 record?
  • In a weak conference?
  • Pinstripe Bowl?
  • What happened to Love Smith, Chip Kelly and Wisenhunt?
  • Is this a pick based on getting a low-priced coach?
  • My reaction was similar when we hired Gailey and Jauron.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith & Whisenhunt were eventually offered the job, too. I just think this is a different direction with a coach who's fresh & hungry in his first NFL HC gig. We'll see what the brass says, but I have a feeling this was Brandon's plan all along.

You really don't understand college ball, do you. There is a reason it's called a program..it is different than the NFL. Very few programs get turned around quickly, especially one that was as low as Cuse was when he came in.. There is no draft, no trades, no waiver wire acquisitions. You stuck with what ya got when you get there.

Jesus people, please think before you spew.

That could throw a monkey wrench into my analysis.

Gents look at it from a different angle. The FO interviewed 5 candidates and in all honesty it seemed like the interest was mutual on both ends. Instead of taking the easy way out by hiring a coach like Wisenhut who really only had success as a HC when Warner decided to return. Lovie, while he took the Bears to a Super Bowl with Rex as his QB there was so much inconsistency on offense that the team was lost. They bring in Cutler to fix the issues and it seems like they are going backwards. Their OL is terrible and has been for years. Horton? Was a legut candidate until his Defenses got gashed after week 5 on. Kelly form what I have read wanted full control and that wasnt going to happen here. I am an Orange fan second to the Noles and liked Marrone, all I knew was he was the Saints OC prior to taking the job, he could have stayed in the NFL but took a HC job for the experience. He really is no different then Kelly in the fact that one was a winner in the NFL and one was a winner in the NCAA.

The issue is that you have already declared him as terrible and a failure (people were already calling him Doug Moron, not you) before we've even had a chance to see how he can do. I can understand not being on board with the hire, but to declare him a failure within an hour of him being our head coach is a bit ridiculous, no?

WE HAVE WATCHED HIM.

This isnt some unknown. Many of us are SU season ticket holders. We are very familiar.