Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial knee jerk reaction to this news I just woke up to:

• Fresh blood...kinda like that idea.
  • OC for the Saints...kinda like that idea too, but...
  • The guy has a .500 record?
  • In a weak conference?
  • Pinstripe Bowl?
  • What happened to Love Smith, Chip Kelly and Wisenhunt?
  • Is this a pick based on getting a low-priced coach?
  • My reaction was similar when we hired Gailey and Jauron.

Deja Vu all over again right?

Marrone turned Cuse around all most immediately. With little talent he coached those kids to back to 8-5 seasons and bowl appearances. Pretty solid accomplishment, but does it warrant a NHL HC shot? Seems a little early to throw that at him. I say that because the Bills were the only team interviewing him. That makes me nervous. Marrone will have a huge challenge in front of him and will need a ton of help. Front office better have a plan for a OC and DC. I doubt Marrone has those relationships. ESPN just ran a peice on the hire and Herm Edwards had some nice things to say about the new coach.

Oh well, I know this, find a top QB to play in B-lo and Marrone will look like the next NFL genious and Brandon will be the genious who took a shot on him.

Good luck Doug! We're with you.

Well considering how he was the most hotly pursue candidate, even over Chip Kelly, you should probably make sure your facts are straight.

How is this a cheap hire? Is it bc it's not Chip Kelly? Marrone was in demand by numerous teams and he chose the Bills after turning a bad Cuse team around

My guess is u wouldn't hv be happy with anyone except Kelly who has left a few teams hanging

We're talking about franchises that could have hired him, but we did. It is a cheap hire because the coach and staff of a college coach costs much less to the bottom line than a seasoned professional coach. My guess is that you assume that Chip Kelly was my fave and you couldn't be more wrong.... ohh, and Lovie Smith to a team to a SUPER BOWL... did Marrone do that!??!!?!?

Call me when Hester does retire, then that says something. Players seemed to love DJ and CG also, what's that buy you? Sounds like Lovie was a well liked guy, I'll give him that. Think I read the Bears only made playoffs once in past six years?? I'd have been fine if they had hired Lovie, but to say he was head and shoulders a better choice is laughable.

Lovie is a proven winner and defensive genius and players and coaches and media alike were all shocked that he was fired after going 10-6. Future hall of famer Devon Hester is so upset that he is contemplating retirement. I think that speaks volumes for Lovie's credibility around the league

To me this is similar to last season in Tampa, don't recall them having too many problems signing FA. I'm happier with DM than I would have been with Chip Kelly. Kelly is a huge gimmick.

.what free agents are joing to sign or re sign for doug moron?? Ad og and safety to the list of needs and start the count down ti when we can hope to get a new coach

Yes but look where SU was before Marrone took over, there was a big improvement and typically it takes longer in college than the NFL to turn things around. Marrone improved SU where as you could argue both DJ and CG, were hired the team got worse.

What is hilarious is how people are rallying around this hire. Just like they rallied around Jauron and Gailey. How much more info do you need than Marrone finised .500 in the Big East?!?! I really feel sorry for so many of you. Low expectations and low intellect is a terrible combination!

Because im a huge Syracuse sports fan, I know exactly who he is, and its a joke. An absolute disgusting joke.

Really? Because I've spoken to multiple Syracuse sports fans this morning about Marrone, and they all told me he's going to do very well in the NFL...please explain why you know more than they do...without the overly-emotional garbage, just some facts please.

Any justification for your optimism?

Didn't think so.

Sure. Put together a very good offensive line with the Jets in the early 2000's...put together a very good offense with New Orleans in the late 2000s, and turned a horrible Syracuse football program into a Big East winner.

But again, don't let the facts get in the way of a good crusade.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll take the reasons for your pessimism...

I heard all of this crap when Gailey was hired. The day he was hired I posted that "Gailey will make the Jauron era look like the glory years." Today I will guarantee you that Marrone will not lead the Bills out of the basement in the AFCE. I can't help being right!

Holy chit Dude, you try to make an argument that he sucks cause his college record sucks, then just retreat into " this is a dumb hire"

At least back up your nonsense

I see A LOT of very upset optimists because the realists see that this was a truly horrible move.

And the funny thing is im USUALLY an optimistic. I supported Gailey from day 1. Jauron from day 1. Mularkey from day 1. Not this guy.

So you were wrong three times.

Yup.

And even the BEST coaches in College don't translate well into the NFL.

Except for Jim Harbaugh, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, and...oh well...again, the facts don't really interest you do they?

Why can't you just give this guy a chance?

Edited by thebandit27

Really? Because I've spoken to multiple Syracuse sports fans this morning about Marrone, and they all told me he's going to do very well in the NFL...please explain why you know more than they do...without the overly-emotional garbage, just some facts please.

Syracuse fans, the same fans that have football program that hasn't been in the Top 5 since.... long before the Bills' Super Bowl years??!

HAHAHAAAAA. Joke.