Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Russ Brandon, went out and interviewed some top candidates, made his decision and quickly got his man. This is very unlike past hirings. Usually the Bills wait until every other team has hired someone and then they go out ang get a retread former head coach nobody wanted. Marone is going to turn the culture of this losing franchise around.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No as in going for the uninspiring no-name guy they can get on the cheap. And I wouldn't be bragging about first time NFL coaches from college. Besides Harbaugh (who was a great NFL qb for years and had credibility coming from a great coaching family) name another first time coach from the college ranks that has done well in the NFL.

Harbaugh went to bcs games and won big in a tough conference marone was middle of the pack in the weakest college conference...only had 1 win top 25 team in 4 years and that team didn't have startin qb.....can't compare the two.

Lovie is a proven winner and defensive genius and players and coaches and media alike were all shocked that he was fired after going 10-6. Future hall of famer Devon Hester is so upset that he is contemplating retirement. I think that speaks volumes for Lovie's credibility around the league

Smith was my choice but I'm not going to flip out here like many are.

For those saying he was the cheapest option - The Bills were bidding against at least 2 teams (loser of the Kelly sweepstakes and San Diego) and he was the second hottest college name after Kelly. I guarantee he will get paid more than any NFL coordinator who gets hired. That argument doesn't carry water.

Now you can debate the move on merit but this doesn't seem like a cheap hire in the least.

Adam Schefter was just on ESPN re Marrone:

- described DM as the most "hotly pursued" coaching candidate - even more than Chip Kelly

- Sean Peyton disciple

- detail oriented

- brings structure to an organization

- innovative offensive mind

Bottom line.......Lovie excelled with Defense; Whisenhut with a QB and pair of WR.....realizing Spiller has been under used or misused here the last two years, clearly Lovie nor Whisenhut would positively impact Spillers play.

At least with Marone, it is conceivable, he will properly use CJ and maximize the all-pro level talent we have on offense. One hopes Marone will bring in a DC that will capitalize on the strengths of our Defense......Wannstedt certainly could not do this and Chan did not use Spiller ideally and these were known commodoties to effect both ( D and O, respectively).........Marone is a gamble but probably smart enough to see what our recent coaches did not or could not.

This will be a pleasant suprise hire to most. In fact, to some extent, the doom and gloom and sky is falling speak from most here makes this a more attractive hire. Collectively we know little to nothing about pro-football and what we believe to be intuitive is probably a bit more advanced then we realize.

Edited by IndyMark

I'm not in favor of hiring anyone with NO experience but this is so far beyond stupid, it can't easily be described!

He has a .500 record at Syracuse...is that half good or half bad????

I think Russ is STILL sitting on Ralph's knee. Russ' lips may be moving but Ralph still pulls the strings!

- described DM as the most "hotly pursued" coaching candidate - even more than Chip Kelly

- Sean Peyton disciple

- detail oriented

Exactly

Edited by first_and_ten

Same with me. And smith was only my first choice if he brought in a decent OC.... So this isn't a bad hire. It is actually better than I expected. I am waiting to see who is on his staff before I really can see how promising it looks

New Orleans Saints Offensive Coordinator · 2006 to 2008

• In his three seasons, the Saints threw 1,232 passes and surrendered only 39 sacks.

• In 2008, the team led the NFL in total offense (410.7 yards per game) and passing offense (311.1 yards per game).

• In 2007, the Saints ranked first in red zone touchdown percentage (.720, 36 of 50), led the NFC in third-down conversions (46.3) and notched 346 first downs.

• In 2007, set an NFL record with 440 completions, and also set team all-time highs for passing first downs (222), attempts (652), touchdown passes (28) and completion percentage (67.5).

• In 2007, allowed the fewest sacks in the league (16), an average of one per 41 attempted.

• In 2006, led NFL in total offense and set a team record with an NFL-leading 6,264 yards.

• In 2006, set club records with 330 first downs, an average of 5.8 yards per play and 4,503 passing yards.

• In 2006, only team in the NFL with four players with more than 650 receiving yards.

New York Jets Offensive Line Coach · 2002 to 2005

• While with the Jets, the Jets played in four playoff games (two in 2002 and a pair in 2004).

• In 2004, the club finished third in the NFL in rushing yards (2,388) and second in rushing first downs (135). • In 2004, the offense posted one of the highest rushing averages (4.5) in club history and had the NFL’s leading rusher (Curtis Martin, 1,697 yards).

• In 2003, the offense averaged 5.3 yards per play and 4.0 yards per rushing attempt.

• In 2002 the line led the way for the offense to rush for 1,618 yards.

- Sean Peyton disciple

- detail oriented

Usually the Bills hire a guy that no other team wants. This is not "Same Old Bills"

I'm not in favor of hiring anyone with NO experience but this is so far beyond stupid, it can't easily be described!

He has a .500 record at Syracuse...is that half good or half bad????

I think Russ is STILL sitting on Ralph's knee. Russ' lips may be moving but Ralph still pulls the strings!

is that the only stat you're basing your theory on?

Boy, life must be easy with tunnel vision...

Crow will be eaten! The negativity is hilarious.

What is hilarious is how people are rallying around this hire. Just like they rallied around Jauron and Gailey. How much more info do you need than Marrone finised .500 in the Big East?!?! I really feel sorry for so many of you. Low expectations and low intellect is a terrible combination!

I wish I wasn't so amped up but I'm really at my breaking point with this team. I really felt like we were close. A good coach like Lovie and maybe a good OC and we could have been a contender. I feel like with Marrone we are back to a rebuilding phase

I'm thinking Russ Brandon, even if in the back of his mind, thought that this hire would help sell tickets in Syracuse as part of his regionalization plan. I'm hoping that isn't true, but would be a pretty obvious thing to happen if the marketing side of his job played any influence. And that would suck if it did.

This crossed my mind the instant Marrone was mentioned as a possibility.