Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana. So of course it does matter.

But anyone who doesn't at least hope he can turn things around is not a fan in my opinion.

Repeating the past would be hiring Gailey, Jauron, etc. again. This is a NEW start.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see that. The Bears have now interviewed 13 candidates!

http://www.nfl.com/n...-search-tracker

I'm not sold at all on Marrone. But, 13 interviews and still counting?

You can never have too many opnions if looking for the answer to 'how would you fix Cutler'. But agreed, the Bears coaching search is looking aimless.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I'm very glad The Bills struck early and fast like they did. There are now 7 vacancies for HCs - with Mularkey's ousting.

There's not one of the fired coaches, nor any of the Coordinators that are out there now that are knocking the socks off of any of the 7 teams looking for a new hire.

I don't know how he's going to pan out in the HC department, but I for one am glad The Bills broke the mold this year and went into the college ranks to pick a coach who appears to be on an upward trajectory as their new HC. Lord knows we've tried about every other combination from the Pro ranks.

Now it's up to him and the coaching staff he assembles and the players they retain, acquire and draft.

I'm liking the Poutine Defense® already, and some thoughts of the K-gun (okay, not to be too specific, but innovation really), and uptempo offense are promising notes coming from the trumpet section at OBD this week. It's markedly different from the symphony of tuba farts coming from those quarters for more than a decade.

Go Bills!

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana. So of course it does matter.

But anyone who doesn't at least hope he can turn things around is not a fan in my opinion.

How is this "repeating the past?" We hired a new coach. How do other teams do it? Grow 'em from seeds?

PTR

Promo's right.

Besides the guy's name is Carlos Santayana.

The past is this:

Bad Coach + Bad Players = Losing Record

Good Coach + Bad Players = Losing Record

Good Coach + Good Players = Winning Records

I heard one of the knocks on Marrone as the Orange's HC was that he wasn't particularly good at recruiting. Yet he still managed to win. One can only guess how far he might have taken the team in the future as his success made recruiting easier for him.

Did Syracuse's poor talent give Marrone a mediocre win-loss record? Did Drew Brees make Marrone look good in NO? I agree that the past is the best predictor of the future, but when it comes to coaches it's often hard to disentangle all the other variables.

The past is this:

Bad Coach + Bad Players = Losing Record

Good Coach + Bad Players = Losing Record

Good Coach + Good Players = Winning Records

I heard one of the knocks on Marrone as the Orange's HC was that he wasn't particularly good at recruiting. Yet he still managed to win. One can only guess how far he might have taken the team in the future as his success made recruiting easier for him.

Did Syracuse's poor talent give Marrone a mediocre win-loss record? Did Drew Brees make Marrone look good in NO? I agree that the past is the best predictor of the future, but when it comes to coaches it's often hard to disentangle all the other variables.

To springboard from your post, I've held some thoughts regarding the coaching record vs talent issue that you've touched on.

Marrone went to Syracuse largely because he played collegiately there and it was his dream job to return to his alma mater and restore respectability to the football program. In the 4 seasons before Marrone took over, the Orange were 10-37.

Contrast this to Chip Kelly who took over an Oregon program that was already established by legendary Ducks coach Mike Belloti (137-82, 6-6 in Bowl games). In fact, Oregon won the last two Bowl games coached by Belloti. In the 4 seasons before Kelly took over, the Ducks were 36-15.

I've been wondering since his hire how Marrone would have done at Oregon and how Kelly would have done at Syracuse.

Some interesting comments from a Boston Globe article this morning:

Former Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff told WQAM in Miami that the Bills are going places with Pettine and Marrone.

“I think Buffalo made a really good move,” Westhoff said. “Mike Pettine knows that defense exceptionally well, he took [defensive backs coach] Jimmy O’Neil with him, who helped him, as his righthand man. With that group of players that Buffalo has? I’m going to tell you what, look out on defense because he’ll be able to integrate it. I think Doug Marrone, who worked here with us, I think he made an excellent move. That football team will be a factor immediately.”

To springboard from your post, I've held some thoughts regarding the coaching record vs talent issue that you've touched on.

Marrone went to Syracuse largely because he played collegiately there and it was his dream job to return to his alma mater and restore respectability to the football program. In the 4 seasons before Marrone took over, the Orange were 10-37.

Contrast this to Chip Kelly who took over an Oregon program that was already established by legendary Ducks coach Mike Belloti (137-82, 6-6 in Bowl games). In fact, Oregon won the last two Bowl games coached by Belloti. In the 4 seasons before Kelly took over, the Ducks were 36-15.

I've been wondering since his hire how Marrone would have done at Oregon and how Kelly would have done at Syracuse.

I'm sure 'Cuse could become a powerhouse again...with Phil Knight's money.

Former Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff told WQAM in Miami that the Bills are going places with Pettine and Marrone.

“I think Buffalo made a really good move,” Westhoff said. “Mike Pettine knows that defense exceptionally well, he took [defensive backs coach] Jimmy O’Neil with him, who helped him, as his righthand man. With that group of players that Buffalo has? I’m going to tell you what, look out on defense because he’ll be able to integrate it. I think Doug Marrone, who worked here with us, I think he made an excellent move. That football team will be a factor immediately.”

Pettine also took the Jets' DL coach Anthony Weaver. I'm hoping they can sign a LB or two in FA and get this defense back to respectability.

I also am amazed at how many people are impressed with the Doug Marrone hire. Either this guy made a ton of friends along the way and/or he's really that good.

Really is a damning statement about Wanny eh?

Obviously, it's easier to improve something that's bad than something that's good. Still, I think it is worth pointing out, as you did, that Marrone had a bigger impact on Syracuse than Kelly did on Oregon. It's hard to say what Marrone would have accomplished had he'd been hired by Oregon instead. I think the important thing for us is that Marrone is more NFL ready - both psychologically apparently and resume-wise.

I still like the Marrone hire. I was apprehensive at first because I saw our defense as very underperforming last season. However with the Pettine hire, I am confident he can get the defense playing hard and aggressive. This will allow Marrone and Hackett to take a new young qb and get the offense running at a high tempo and high scoring level. With the Jets in shambles and the Dolphins still looking very average, I can see a 10-6 season with a wild card berth.

I'm sure 'Cuse could become a powerhouse again...with Phil Knight's money.

Pettine also took the Jets' DL coach Anthony Weaver. I'm hoping they can sign a LB or two in FA and get this defense back to respectability.

I also am amazed at how many people are impressed with the Doug Marrone hire. Either this guy made a ton of friends along the way and/or he's really that good.

Doug is reaping the fruits of being part of the Bill Parcells tree. I hope he goes on to be as good as a Sean Peyton or a John Fox, who always seemed to have their teams prepared for the full 60 minutes, something that Jauron, Gailey have not been able to do.

Doug is reaping the fruits of being part of the Bill Parcells tree. I hope he goes on to be as good as a Sean Peyton or a John Fox, who always seemed to have their teams prepared for the full 60 59 minutes, something that Jauron, Gailey have not been able to do.

Fixed for John Fox.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It should be 59 minutes and 30 seconds B-) They let that game slip way in the last 30 seconds of regulation. Fox did play scared like a Gailey

I figured they'd lose that game when they took a knee with Peyton Manning at QB. You take a knee with Trent Edwards for obvious reasons. With Peyton Manning? That's overly passive for a playoff game.