Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Interesting news to wake up to this morning. This clearly has a lot of fans on their heels as I think most of us wrote this off as a possibility. On the surface, I like it. I was very uncomfortable with the retread route represented by Whiz and Lovie. This is a bold move and Marrone has an impressive resume. He was clearly in demad- definitely not another off the radar move by the Bills. No denying he led a great turnaround at Syracuse. I cannot wait to hear the PC to earn a little more about his thinking, and of course, who he can attract as key assistants will be critical. Reason for optimism IMO.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No as in going for the uninspiring no-name guy they can get on the cheap. And I wouldn't be bragging about first time NFL coaches from college. Besides Harbaugh (who was a great NFL qb for years and had credibility coming from a great coaching family) name another first time coach from the college ranks that has done well in the NFL.

Really? Cause its being reported the Eagles and Browns both would have hired Martinez if they didn't get Kelly(ie whichever team Kelly went to Martinez would went to the other team)...

Everyone likes this hire except in Buffalo...funny how that always works

Show me where anyone had a winning record before there first head coaching gig...I mean are you even following your logic?

No, you are positive that he's going to succeed without an NFL head coaching record, so if you are demanding links for failure, I'm demanding links for success.

Idiocy for idiocy.

Edited by BmoreBills

Oregon was turned around before Kelly got there. He's got all the attention due to his gimmicky offense. Will that work in the NFL, many doubters. The difference I see between Kelly and Marrone are Kelly had huge success with a style that may not translate well to the NFL. and has got the program elevated higher than when he started to a national ranking. Marrone elevated a program from nothing to decent and has experience in the NFL in a more conventional setting.

All of this talk about turning Syracuse around is overblown. Chip Kelly turned Oregon around. The Ducks were #4 in the country with the #2 overall offense. That's a turnaround! Marrone was 5-7 last year, he LOST 5 games this year. 8 wins in the Big East is nothing!

Yes but Spurrier was never in the NFL prior to that, had no idea what he was getting into. He was more interested in playing golf. Was Saban in the NFL, can't reall??

Nick Saban won multiple national championships, and is looking for another. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

Steve Spurrier was one of the most successful coaches in NCAA football history. How'd he turn out in the NFL?

BIG DEAL... college is NOT the NFL, and last time I checked, a fresh out of college hire hasn't won a Super Bowl since Dallas, the ONLY franchise to pull it off. That is a percentage so low that it is in single digits.

The last 4 years watching him coach my alma mater.

So what were you expecting Marrone to do when he took over at Syracuse? Go 13-0 every season and win the national championship? So what that you went there, do you even know how bad that team was under Greg Robinson? Also as for someone who went to Syracuse, you have know idea how good a coach has to be in order to turn a program that had fallen to that depth of awful around. Pfffft you don't seem to know much about your own school.

Name something, ANYTHING, he has accomplished in Syracuse that translates to the NFL.

A very good Jets offensive line? Huh? Dreaming much? You mean he had a good offense with Drew Brees and Marques Colston and Jeremy Shockey and Reggie Bush? SHOCKING!

And even if it was his doing, successfull coordinators do not always make good head coaches. DUH.

Wow...ignore the facts much?

In the early 2000's, the Jets had one of the best OLs in football. NFL ranking in fewest sacks allowed from 2000-2005 (his tenure as OL coach):

1st

2nd

11th

11th

7th

Year after he left: 30th

Also, I love the fact that he gets no credit for having one of the best offenses in the NFL...I'm officially done discussing anything with someone that just throws FACTS out the window in favor or emotion.

3 out of 1,500+ coaches. Good argument.

Oh yeah, Pete Carroll SUCKED his first time in the NFL.

Please name the other 1,497 coaches that moved from college HC to NFL HC

I'll wait.

You're all (ok, most of you) unbelievable....

Ever since Monday, all I saw was "No more retreads! I'm tired of getting coaches that were fired elsewhere!" OK, so the Bills have gone out and given the job to a guy who will have his first NFL head coaching job and you're still complaining.

Marrone is not new to the NFL. He was the Jets' OL coach for 4 years, where he turned a defensive tackle into a Pro Bowl offensive guard in a year. He was the Saints' OC for three years, where he coached Drew Brees. He's the "hot assistant" that everyone likes, but just because he wasn't an assistant of an NFL team this past year, then he's a cheap nobody?

People - do your research before you flail on about this being a "cheap Brandon marketing" hire. Marrone has the background. Bill Walsh did the exact same thing as Marrone...had a handful of NFL assistant jobs before he became the HC at Stanford. He went from Stanford to the 49ers and did pretty well.

Let's not jump to this being a bad hire just because Marrone's name isn't Lovie Smith.

FINALLY someone I can respect. Your logic sir has won me slightly... and thank you. I had forgotten about Bill Walsh, seriously. I'm definitely not happy about this hire and still think it was cheap, but I can only hope you are right, that he is another Bill Walsh...

Because im a huge Syracuse sports fan, I know exactly who he is, and its a joke. An absolute disgusting joke.

Didn't he turn around the horrible football program at your school? Wasn't he being interviewed by almost all of the NFL teams with head coaching vacancies? Who was the slam dunk head coach you wanted?

I'm thinking that you probably wanted Lovie Smith. A guy who has so far proven that he's only good for having winning teams with good defenses and horrible offenses. Doug Marrone is new and no one knows whether he will be a great NFL head coach, Smith will never be a great one. That's been proven.

Edited by 1billsfan

Whatever the Front Office did would have been perceived as terrible by a good portion of fans, unfortunately enough. At first we didn't want a retread, check. Second, we wanted someone new and fresh, check. Now apparently we were supposed to go get Belichick and Brady as a package or else the coaching search would be considered a failure. Bills fans, perennially pissed because they feel like that is the proper discourse.

WE HAVE WATCHED HIM.

This isnt some unknown. Many of us are SU season ticket holders. We are very familiar.

As an SU season ticket holder, I would be interested in any actual analysis you may have other than "he sucks". Any actual reasoning based on his performance you can add?