Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

I don't have the link anymore, but someone evaluated the overall draft position of each player position for all 32 teams and their 2-deep depth charts. LB (outside of special teams players like kickers) was the lowest as I recall. So, either there are a lot of NFL teams with really bad LB play (like the Bills B-) ) or it is altogether possible to find productive LBs fairly deep into the draft. (BTW, I am kidding a bit; we can logically ignore the first argument, because the numbers reflected the entire NFL and not a sample set of just bad LBs. The fact is that for the NFL as a whole productive LBs are found deep into the draft, and deeper than other positions.)

Very interesting stuff. Another factor is that LBs, along with DBs, tend to make up the core of special teams, thus providing added value over, say, monster linemen, even though monster linemen are a rarer breed.

Edited by mannc

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember when fairley jumped to #2 behind cam after his great championship game. in reality he was in that second tier (likely all along too). thats what just happened to teo, but in the opposite direction (he didnt plummet, as likely scouts had him in that second tier of guys already and though likely disappointed in his play and not making the sharp reads he normally does they were also likely not totally shocked that he was a bit overmatched physically)

If you go back and watch that game Fairley was unblocked and didn't "show" much on the majority of his big plays. Fans/media overrated his performance.

If you go back and watch that game Fairley was unblocked and didn't "show" much on the majority of his big plays. Fans/media overrated his performance.

yup - i remember the famed dont block the best player on the line game plan devised by chip kelly

Played a poor game but like I said in the other thread - there was a 3rd and a couple and he was met 3-4 yards downfield by 2 interior lineman coming clean from the snap. That doesn't happen in the nfl. Ever.

He isn't the #1 pick, best ever player but he should be a solid pro.

This is what I meant. Bama is FARRR superior in talent offensively vs. ND defensively. Bama guys were pounding the entire ND defense, not just Teo. He couldn't take on all those monsters on his own. It wasnt his best game BT any means and sure his stock will drop, but I don't think you discredit an incredible season with so many plays for one game. He will still have a bright nfl future I think but only time will tell

What the data says is that every position on offense and defense has a higher investment on the average overall (ignoring kickers). Teams can and do find great LBs later than other positions. I agree with you that this means LB is less "freakish". You need to find a biggish and strongish guy who can run reasonably fast, has good football instincts, and can tackle. A guy in the 7th round and a guy in the 2nd round maybe near clones of one another in all aspects, but the coaches find the 7th rounder makes fewer mental mistakes despite being a whisker slower running in his underwear on a rubber track. Your LB doesn't have to be 7' tall, run a 4.2 sec 40, weigh 900#, throw a football through the 1 open window on a bullet train from 2 platforms away, or any of those "freak" skills.

Indeed.

He looked horrible against a great college team. I would consider drafting him in the 2nd if avaialble but now way at #8.

He looked horrible but you'd take him with your 2nd pick? :blink:

PTR

This is what I meant. Bama is FARRR superior in talent offensively vs. ND defensively. Bama guys were pounding the entire ND defense, not just Teo. He couldn't take on all those monsters on his own. It wasnt his best game BT any means and sure his stock will drop, but I don't think you discredit an incredible season with so many plays for one game. He will still have a bright nfl future I think but only time will tell

Yes but he also got wiped out by single blockers and RBs one-on-one. This was not a bad day at the office, it was a monumental failure to show anything.

I'm not saying Te'o will be a bust, but the Alabama game showed his limited skills against high quality (and big) opponents. I think he will be successful in a 3-4, but don't see him being a keeper in a 4-3. I certainly don't think he'll be a bust in the NFL but I think he has to go to a program that maximizes his physical ability and his talents.

• 1 month later...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21766746/nfl-combine-florio-says-teams-want-to-know-if-teo-is-gay

Wow....

Um not sure but isn't that illegal to even inquire about? I mean this is essentially a job interview and although I don't support the lifestyle, you just can't discriminate against the kid or ask him if he is.

This could blow up HUGE if true.

Its a way to test honesty. In terms of questions, this is pretty weak. A few years ago a Bucs official apparently someone if their mother was a whore

edit apparently it was Dez Byrant from the dolphins per the article

I am afraid my NFL Career would have ended right there as I would have beat that clown's ass. That type of questioning has nothing to do with the NFL or any BS talk on the field. But I am not in the NFL nor got the opportunity to be so I digress :-)

Its a way to test honesty. In terms of questions, this is pretty weak. A few years ago a Bucs official apparently someone if their mother was a whore

edit apparently it was Dez Byrant from the dolphins per the article

Not just honesty but temperament in the face of adverse conditions

That said, I think this has a lot more to do with old men thinking "how could that really happen"

http://www.cbssports...w-if-teo-is-gay

Wow....

Um not sure but isn't that illegal to even inquire about? I mean this is essentially a job interview and although I don't support the lifestyle, you just can't discriminate against the kid or ask him if he is.

Actually, sexual orientation is not a protected category under the federal anti-discrimination laws. They most likely don't care either way, but want to see how he responds to questions he may very well be asked once on a team by a journalist. Teo's "imaginary" gf was a guy, so it's very likely he gets asked this question. Teams want to see if he can keep his cool w/ stupid, non-football questions.

The reason they want to know is because the majority of NFL players are homophobes and wouldn't like an openly gay teammate. This isn't an excuse for it, just laying-out the reality. The fake GF stuff will be bad enough for whatever team he ends up going to, but if they find out he's gay? Whoa boy!

The reason they want to know is because the majority of NFL players are homophobes and wouldn't like an openly gay teammate. This isn't an excuse for it, just laying-out the reality. The fake GF stuff will be bad enough for whatever team he ends up going to, but if they find out he's gay? Whoa boy!

I agree 100%...And let's see, Te'o is smallish, slightly slower than expected, and brings a circus with him. You'll pardon me if I don't want to spend a first on him.

Having an openly gay player on an NFL roster would be problematic for the team IMO. Might be possible and maybe even desirable but at the very least the guy would have to be total badass and a great player. MT will be good but the consensus seems to be that he is far from being the next Ray Lewis.

He doesn't look like rd 1 , especially after the Alabama game. John Harbaugh shook his head watching his slow run.

I can honestly say that I was never aboard the Te'o hype train...And to be equally honest I just could not understand it...I thought, best case scenario, he was a slower Paul Posluszny-type...No way is the kid a 1st Round talent...I really don't think he's a 2nd Round talent...But I'd probably consider him in the 3rd or later...I do think he's got decent instincts... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

http://www.cbssports...w-if-teo-is-gay

Wow....

NFL is not your typical workplace, It's like the FBI or CIA, they want to know EVERY thing about you in case it compromises your ability to perform.

It's a logical question considering the situation, but he is not gay he just got deceived.

Dude is a product of super hype and media attention from being at Notre Dame. Don't forget Notre Dame has a contract with ABC or all of their games. It's easy for him to be in the spotlight and be over hyped.

Not a first round prospect.

Dude is a product of super hype and media attention from being at Notre Dame. Don't forget Notre Dame has a contract with ABC or all of their games. It's easy for him to be in the spotlight and be over hyped.

Not a first round prospect.

Yep. After today, I doubt he is even a second round prospect. Would not be surprised to see him taken in round 4 or even later. That time is slower than a number of offensive lineman.