Your lowest moment as a fan

Billzfan23

Given all of the optimism and promising start to the season (let's hope the bad lows are in our rear view) - what was your lowest moment of your history as a Bills fan? I'm 34 years old, grew up a Bills fan in southern Missouri of all places. I was 12 years old, volunteering at a food pantry during the summers, and I had a Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas shirt I used to wear to that job all the time. I always talked about Bills news and happening with my boss (the director of the place). He knew I was a fan, and oddly enough, he was a displaced western New Yorker and his younger brother worked as a scout for the Bills. My boss calls his brother, asks him if he can get the Bills to do something nice for me - and I end up getting a huge package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly - and a bunch of Bills stuff in 1991.

Of course, when I was 13, 14, 15, and 16 years old - the Bills lost superbowls. Every single one of them stung like hell. But...I have to say - in 1997 I went to my first Bills game ever. I had moved to Boston right out of high school - and was at the Bills/Pats game in the fall of 1997. The game was a home game in Foxboro for the Pats, and first place in the division was on the line. Jim Kelly had retired, Thurman was still on the team - and there I was, decked out in Bills gear - and Todd Collins gets injured, the Bills get blown out (with Billy Joe Hobert who later admitted he didn't know the playbook) and it was an ugly year. The end of that game was the lowest point for me as a fan (yes, even lower than the Gregg Willams era)

For some reason, being there, seeing it live, getting heckled, etc...sucked worse than the home run throwback in January of 2000.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but out of curiosity - what was your lowest point?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The last Superbowl. I hosted a party that included several of my cowboy fan friends. One was particuarly vocal and loud. I soooooooo wanted to knock his lights out. I was pissed enough to lose interest in football altogether for 10-11 years. That, and getting married, having kids, career, etc.

The irony is, it was Trent Edwards that drew me back in '08.

I was always proud of the Superbowl teams, even if the seasons ended in a loss.

The Music City Miracle really hurt, but luckily I was around other Bills fans to share in my misery.

Honestly, the one loss that hurt the most was that friggin Dallas/Buffalo Monday Night Football game. I still have nightmares over that one and just how we managed to blow it. Same for the Patriots/Bills home opener in 2009. I was really embarrassed to be a Bills fan the day after.

In 1985, when I was living downstate, I went to Philadelphia to see the Bills play the Eagles in week 7, one week after the Bills had their 1st win of the 1985 season. The Bills were up 17-0 through 3 quarters but when the 4th quarter began, the Eagles were deep in Bills territory. They scored a TD early into the 4th quarter, then added 2 more TDs. After leading 17-0, the Bills let the Eagles score 21 unanswered 4th quarter points and lost 21-17.

Earlier in the 1985 season I went to the 2nd game of the season at the Meadowlands. The Bills went up 3-0 on a Norwood FG and were ahead 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. That was it for the Bills. The Jets scored 42 unanswered points. Final score Jets 42 Bills 3. The next week (week 3) I went to Orchard Park to see the Bills vs New England, The turning point of the game was when the Bills got a penalty when punting, re-punted and Irving Fryar returned that one for a TD. The Bills ended up losing 17-14.

So I saw 3 bad losses in 1985. 1985 was a real low point for me and other Bills fans.

I have 2 for 2 different reasons...

Wide right crushed me as I was I believe 9 at the time with my face about 3 inches from the screen knelt down ready to jump up in excitement. I knew he missed it as soon as he kicked it and it broke my heart.

Dallas Monday nighter is #2. I worked with a ton of cowboys fans and never had a game get me so pumped throughout. I was at the stadium and it was the best atmosphere id ever witnessed for any event. (Still wish towels were given out every game or brought by fans it was quite a site). The dallas fan I went with left after they missed the 2 point conversion and I sent a text to a boss who was a dallas fan. The next day when I got to work it was printed and posted everywhere with a copy of an internet article about how they had blew it.... that was a rough few days.

Pass interference

on a Hail Mary

vs Cheatriots

right after the "just give it to them" call on a 4th down pass caught out of bounds short of the 1st down marker

Sid Luckett's refereeing team

2nd runner up - losing to Dallas Monday night football (worst coached game I have ever watched)

Edited by richNjoisy

I feel like we as Bills fans have a really short memory sometimes. Not, say, big games that hurt really bad and which our playoff hopes hinge upon. I'm talking about random games for the past 11 years, games which for one reason or another: fumbles, penalties, a random bounce/opposing interception/opposing amazing catch-kick, beat us in a game we had locked up. I wish there was a place I could go to watch us get screwed in the final 5 minutes of a game, because I think it has happened A LOT in the past 11 years, like more than everyone actually considers/knows/cares to dwell on. In fact, writing this post has made me want to go back in the records and just dissect the past 11 years...

Damn, now that you make me think about it, far too many possibilities to choose from.

I was nearly comatose for about an hour after the first Super Bowl. My father, a huge Bills fan since the 60s who got me hooked on them as a kid, had just passed away a few weeks earlier, near the end of the regular season. He never got to see the Bills in a Super Bowl, and they went to their first just a few weeks after he died. The emotional mess I was in, followed by the crushing disaster of that Super Bowl...well, let's just say it sucked bad.

But as low as I was then, at least there was still hope for the team. Before last year, I actually started to feel apathetic toward the team, since it seemed like ownership and leadership were lost, incompetent, and had no interest or skills for building a real team. It seemed like we would be bottom feeders forever. That was a pretty low feeling.

Music City Miracle . . . I think we all kind of knew the ride was coming to an end, that play was an exclamation point, and one in which we are still feeling the effects of today.

And it was not just that play, it was the decision to start Johnson (granted, he played well enough that day, but it's what it meant to the team thereafter). I'll go to my grave not understanding why they played Rob Johnson that game over Flutie--I think one of the all-time bonehead coaching decisions in the history of the NFL.

The play buried the season, the move buried the franchise, and it's still digging out.

Edited by CSBill

There have been far too many ... I think that collectively the "Jauron Era" was the low spot for me. Totally wasted years that we are still trying to emerge from.

I Totally agree. That was the biggest waste ever. At Least Donahoe tried to do something. He totally screwed up too, but wow. The Jauron Era was absolute garbage.

My lowest point as a Bills fan was hearing a large contingent of "Bills fans" cheer when Rob Johnson got hurt in a game (I don't even remember which one because i try not to think about it), while he was struggling to get to his feet after taking a huge shot and in obvious pain. It made me sick to my stomach :sick: and ashamed :bag: to be a fan of team who had fans that would do that.

As I said, I try not to think about it. I don't care how far up the butt of the little guy one's head was, the man was playing his ass off and doing his best for our team. It was hard for me to bring myself to watch the next game.

the playoff loss to san diego in the 1980 season playoffs. fergy was hobbled, the bills lead most of the way and would have hosted oakland the following week. was a horrible feeling to see ron smith break bill simpson's tackle for the TD. i am totally convinced the bills would have beat oakland, then philly in the super bowl. wide right didnt hurt as much for some strange reason.

Edited by dwight in philly

Monday Night Football against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, when you knew that Jim Kelly was done as a QB- threw a horrid INT to Greg Lloyd just before the half.

Pass interference

on a Hail Mary

vs Cheatriots

right after the "just give it to them" call on a 4th down pass caught out of bounds short of the 1st down marker

Sid Luckett's refereeing team

^^^^ THIS. The game from hell that cost us a home playoff game. I still steam about that game.... not a low point, but whatever.

From Wikipedia: "The NFL later stated that the game-extending pass interference call was an erroneous decision by the referees."

Edited by BmoreBills

Im going with that abysmal game at the Ralph against the Browns when the final was a Brownies victory 9-6. I think Derek Anderson completed like 2 passes and won the game. I am pretty sure that was when my brother and I started yelling on every 1st and 10 for the Bills "PUNT! He's our BEST PLAYER!" Sad thing is, we were totally serious.

Music City Miracle . . . I think we all kind of knew the ride was coming to an end, that play was an exclamation point, and one in which we are still feeling the effects of today.

And it was not just that play, it was the decision to start Johnson (granted, he played well enough that day, but it's what it meant to the team thereafter). I'll go to my grave not understanding why they played Rob Johnson that game over Flutie--I think one of the all-time bonehead coaching decisions in the history of the NFL.

The play buried the season, the move buried the franchise, and it's still digging out.

I agree. It seemed as if after Christie made the kick we were going to the next round.

Music City Miracle hands down.

If I see that blank f'ing stare of Wade Phillips one more time on replay I might just kick the god damn tv in.

No one can ever make me understand why they started Johnson over Flutie. Never.

Tools.

I was always proud of the Superbowl teams, even if the seasons ended in a loss.

The Music City Miracle really hurt, but luckily I was around other Bills fans to share in my misery.

Honestly, the one loss that hurt the most was that friggin Dallas/Buffalo Monday Night Football game. I still have nightmares over that one and just how we managed to blow it. Same for the Patriots/Bills home opener in 2009. I was really embarrassed to be a Bills fan the day after.

Those three are the ones that stand out in my mind for sure. All of them left me sick to my stomach.......

2005, Terrence McGee back to return a kickoff just before the half.

Runs the ball about 300 yards, weaving in and out of defenders, breaking tackles, bobbing, jiving, slipping, sliding, juking, twirling, stiff-arming his way ALL the way down to the 3 yard line, only t be tripped up after time expired. Take it to the half, his efforts for naught.

Given all of the optimism and promising start to the season (let's hope the bad lows are in our rear view) - what was your lowest moment of your history as a Bills fan? I'm 34 years old, grew up a Bills fan in southern Missouri of all places. I was 12 years old, volunteering at a food pantry during the summers, and I had a Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas shirt I used to wear to that job all the time. I always talked about Bills news and happening with my boss (the director of the place). He knew I was a fan, and oddly enough, he was a displaced western New Yorker and his younger brother worked as a scout for the Bills. My boss calls his brother, asks him if he can get the Bills to do something nice for me - and I end up getting a huge package in the mail with an autographed picture of Jim Kelly - and a bunch of Bills stuff in 1991.

Of course, when I was 13, 14, 15, and 16 years old - the Bills lost superbowls. Every single one of them stung like hell. But...I have to say - in 1997 I went to my first Bills game ever. I had moved to Boston right out of high school - and was at the Bills/Pats game in the fall of 1997. The game was a home game in Foxboro for the Pats, and first place in the division was on the line. Jim Kelly had retired, Thurman was still on the team - and there I was, decked out in Bills gear - and Todd Collins gets injured, the Bills get blown out (with Billy Joe Hobert who later admitted he didn't know the playbook) and it was an ugly year. The end of that game was the lowest point for me as a fan (yes, even lower than the Gregg Willams era)

For some reason, being there, seeing it live, getting heckled, etc...sucked worse than the home run throwback in January of 2000.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but out of curiosity - what was your lowest point?

Every day that goes by without a Bills playoff birth is my lowest point

Cleveland snowstorm game 6-3. need i say more.

Cleveland Monday Night game. jauron decides to run 3 straight run plays to set up a 51 yd fg, which lindell misses. browns get the ball back and dawson boots the 53 yd game winner

Pats Sunday Night flex game. Supposed to challenge them for the division instead it turns out to be 56-10 with Randy Moss scoring 4 td's in the first half.

The super bowls were pretty bad , but I was the same age as the OP, and I am pretty proud of that era.

Dallas Monday Nighter a couple years ago gets my vote. There has been a point for all of the regimes of the past decade where i gave up on them, or the QB. that night I knew jouron would never win.

awful.

Walking out of Tampa Stadium after Super Bowl XXV, having to hear "New York, New York" as it was blaring out of the stadium speakers and seeing the celebrations of the Giants fans.

That was a very emotional day, with the Gulf War, the first ever Bills Super Bowl, the Whitney Houston Star-Spangled Banner, and the game itself. The only time I actually shed a tear over the Bills.

2005, Terrence McGee back to return a kickoff just before the half.

Runs the ball about 300 yards, weaving in and out of defenders, breaking tackles, bobbing, jiving, slipping, sliding, juking, twirling, stiff-arming his way ALL the way down to the 3 yard line, only t be tripped up after time expired. Take it to the half, his efforts for naught.

Against the Saints in San Antonio in their first "home" game after Hurricane Katrina.

Each one of the crushing defeats sucks in its own unique way...hard to quantify which one was actually the worst, although the monday night opener vs the Pats seems to sting the most. Maybe because I just KNEW it was going to happen and it did. Each of the SB losses followed a quality season so there was cause for optimism. The Pats loss reinforced the futility of seasons past and seasons to come.

Working from the personal lowest moment angle, I was at a party for SB XXVIII where there were an overwhelming number or Cowboys fans. One of the "fans" (actually a bandwagoner who claimed to be a fan of 5-6 different NFL teams) was particularly loud and obnoxious in the 4th quarter. There was a deli plate nearby and I picked up a tomato and totally Nolan Ryan'ed one at his head, splattering his face and knocking his glasses off. A pretty ugly food fight ensued.

Hmm...upon further review, that mighta been one of my best moments...

There have been far too many ... I think that collectively the "Jauron Era" was the low spot for me. Totally wasted years that we are still trying to emerge from.

Totally agree.

The worst was the Patriots/Bills home opener in 2009. In my 29 years of being a fan, that game brought me the closest I've ever come to picking a new team to follow.

Grew up in Buffalo and enjoyed sharing my support for the Bills with friends and family. There were a few highs in those early decades and a lot more lows. But it didn't bother me very much because we enjoyed being at the games, rooting for our team, tailgating before and after, sharing the highs and lows with other fans, etc.

Eventually, job moves took me away from Buffalo and most of the fun experiences. But I still went to occasional games, watched the others with family, etc. Even then, it didn't hurt that much when Christie missed or Tennessee got away with a bad play. You still felt the team would be back fighting for the SB the next year.

After the new century started, it was becoming obvious that Wilson was no longer trying to field a winner - just a team that would continue to bring in the fans' money. Recent years keep piling onto that fact. So for me the lowest point was just before this season started.

After the Bills blew away the sleepwalking Chiefs, I felt a little better. Hope springs eternal, I guess. But I still know that the sad story of the Bills and Buffalo fans is probably heading for a sad ending. I'll keep hoping for a savior, and in the meantime try to get some enjoyment out of this season.

My lowest point as a Bills fan was hearing a large contingent of "Bills fans" cheer when Rob Johnson got hurt in a game (I don't even remember which one because i try not to think about it), while he was struggling to get to his feet after taking a huge shot and in obvious pain. It made me sick to my stomach :sick: and ashamed :bag: to be a fan of team who had fans that would do that.

As I said, I try not to think about it. I don't care how far up the butt of the little guy one's head was, the man was playing his ass off and doing his best for our team. It was hard for me to bring myself to watch the next game.

I remember a play (think they were playing Tampa) where RJ got hit way after he released. A player would get ejected and fined for doing that today. Marcus Spriggs was standing right there. He didn't go after the defender or even help RJ up as he lay there bleeding.

If Lori was around she would remember that game. I think we lost a slew of players, some for their entire career.

I call that the Levy/Jauron Era. After all, good ol' Marv hired Jauron.

And I don't know if it was the "low point," but the angriest I have ever been was in 06 when they drafted Whitner. The next 3 picks were also about as dumb as it gets.

And this is not 20-20 hindsight. I was furious, and this draft is still hurting the Bills. Hopefully, we are climbing out of this hole now. :thumbsup: