The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Potential trade downs from 33 with equivalent Rich Hill chart value (like the 2 previous moves)

33 + 128 to Washington for 36 + 100

33 + 200 to Carolina (lol) for 39  + 101

33 to Washington for 40 + 100

33 + 163 to Green Bay for 41 + 88

33 + 163 to Houston for 42 + 86

33 + 144 to Atlanta for 43 + 79

(didn't double check what Buffalo already traded away... tired!)

Washington makes the most sense. They can take spend the night deciding the best OT left and take him at 33. Though I think it was Russini that said the Texans were aggressively trying to trade up too. 

Still remaining from my big board at the beginning of the night for options I'd like:

1. Insert OLine Here (probably just JPJ at this point)
  2. Cooper DeJean
  3. Jer'Zhan Newton
  4. Kool Aid McKinstry
  5. Troy Franklin
  6. Keon Coleman

For those focused on WRs, my personal board:

1. MHJ
  2. Nabers
  3. Odunze
  4. Thomas
  5. Keon Coleman
  6. Troy Franklin
  7. Jacob Cowing
  8. Ladd McConkey
  9. Javon Baker
  10. Ricky Pearsall
  11. Ja'Lynn Polk
  12. Adonai Mitchell
  13. Brenden Rice
  14. Roman Wilson
  15. Jermaine Burton
  16. Malachi Corley
  17. Xavier Legette
  18. Xavier Worthy
  19. Isaiah Williams
  20. Jamari Thrash
  21. Anthony Gould
  22. Devontez Walker
  23. Jalen McMillan

The top 15 all had 2nd round or better grades, so long story short, plenty of options still available tomorrow. Among those top 15, I don't think Cowing and Wilson make much sense for us, though Wilson in particular has the type of DNA I think Beane would love.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

42 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I’m not mad about trading down but to trade with KC and not make them pay extra is beyond ridiculous! 

I bet they knew we weren’t taking him, called b.s. but we managed to work something out.  They still had to worry if another team would jump them for him.   

The package even says they weren’t running thru walls to get him.   

Expounding on the chart above they must have more than one guy in a tier to make a move down. If Franklin is their lone round 2 receiver, they will take him 33. Otherwise, they are doing the right thing dragging those late picks Beane has accumulated up into an are where players who can at least make the 53 are in this draft which is rounds 1 thru maybe mid-4 based on scouting, mock drafts, etc.

What's happening looks like the plan that running triple digits mock drafts ultimately made plain was the best plan for the Bills. Aim for 4+ picks in the top 100, target: WR (Franklin?) Edge (Booker?) S (Hicks?) OT (Sumiataiaai?) DT (Hall? M Smith?). Use the R4 and R5 for your sleepers and fallers and devalued positions like WR and LB.

Damned if it doesn't look like exactly what Beane is doing right now.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The McDonkey dude isn't a difference-maker though. If he's the pick, we still need serious help at WR. 

Yes, he is, and it's McConkey. They should take 2 WRs day 2, regardless. They need an X and a Z.

Edited by Dr. Who

27 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Beane presser now. Says they never tried to move up. Ben Allbright says they did. Someone’s lying 

I just finished listening to it. Everything he said makes sense and echoes what I said earlier in the thread.

He basically admitted their 1st round grades were wiped out by the time it got to their pick. He said he never wanted to give up #60 in a trade up so that limited the trade up options. So once the 1st round grades were gone he started taking calls to move back.

On trading with KC specifically - he pushed back on the notion that we gave KC the player they wanted. Said they could have just traded up with the next team down, or maybe their player gets to their original pick anyways. He said in those discussions he's just making the best decision for the Buffalo Bills, not worrying about the team he's talking to. Mentioned that he's even had those conversations with our division rivals.

He said he had other offers to move even further back into the 40s or 50s from #28 but didn't want to go back too far. He planned on picking at #32 but getting to move up 59 spots on day three to move back one spot was too enticing to turn down.

Also he didn't exactly come out and say it but he somewhat implied that the added draft value he got could be used to move up on the board again tomorrow. I won't be surprised at all if we pick at say #33 and #50, giving up our 4th perhaps to make it happen.

Beane still has to be right about the players he drafts tomorrow. But his execution tonight makes a ton of sense. He explained himself well.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The only significant change in that heap is the addition of the 95th.  After 128th they're all 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders.  Of those six picks, we'll be lucky to see three of 'em make the roster.  

Of the 25 picks that Beane's made from 128th on, only two have become starters besides Davis, whom few thought was good.  Shakir and Benford, both from the '22 draft and both still with some TBD.  Most of those 25 picks aren't even on the team anymore if they even ever made it to begin with.  

All 5th, 6th, and 7ths should used used to improve position in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks to ensure you get the player(s) you are targeting

• Like (+1) 3

I have said this for months, I prefer McConkey but Keon Coleman fits the DNA of the type of person they love and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s our first pick. People need to get over the 4.6. 

He is 20 years old and the Bills love taking younger prospects with upside 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I have said this for months, I prefer McConkey but Keon Coleman fits the DNA of the type of person they love and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s our first pick. People need to get over the 4.6. 

I still hate it. I'm not convinced he's a boundary receiver, and he absolutely is not a fella that's going to get you separation, which is what we need.

I'd much rather end up with McConkey and Mitchell. Of course, if we take him, I'll hope for the best.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

Definitely quantity this year.  So many open spots all over the roster.  Deal with it!

Where are you seeing that? I'd love to upgrade one of the safeties, and add some depth at DLine, and of course another WR. 

The offense is going to be better than this past seasons

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I liked him at MSU (I don't watch ACC football), but the lack of separation is a concern.

1 hour ago, iccrewman112 said:

The trade with Carolina is a no brainer for many reasons.

1. You confirm with Carolina the player they are moving up to select is not the player you want. If it is then you don’t make the trade.
2. you move up about 60 spots from late 6th to high 5th. That is the 125 ranked player vs the 185.

3. the newly acquired high 5th rounder is a much more valuable trade chip to improve 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders.

4. The first pick in the 2nd round is often a highly traded pick as teams reevaluate their boards (since moving to the 3 day format), giving more trade down opportunities.

This was a bad trade for Carolina.  The fact we were willing to make the trade pretty much tells them we didn't want Legette.  If we wanted him, we would have made the pick and not traded it away.

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This was a bad trade for Carolina.  The fact we were willing to make the trade pretty much tells them we didn't want Legette.  If we wanted him, we would have made the pick and not traded it away.

Williams-Brice Stadium (where the ***** play)  is 1.5 hours away from Bank of America Stadium. That played a huge role in their interest.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Washington makes the most sense. They can take spend the night deciding the best OT left and take him at 33. Though I think it was Russini that said the Texans were aggressively trying to trade up too. 

I thought about the Commanders to but all the first round tackles went off the board in round 1 and they can probably get a guy by sitting at 36. Patrick Paul is probably the best available. 

If they don’t like him they can still take interior guys like JPJ and Frazier. I just think looking at it objectively they will sit at their picks 

Bunch of weak-arse constitutions on display, predictably, from Bills fans here. I know the KC x Worthy trade really strains credulity, but it MUST mean Beane didn't value that player at that pick. Then the Car x Legette trade further twists the anti (fan)-consensus WR knife. But again, Beane isn't pulling that trigger blindly. He's obviously trying to recoup value at a spot where he sees a lack of it. 

So he disagrees with most of us that Worthy or Legette were worthy of picks 28 or 32, respectively, for the Bills. I was mostly in the pro-Worthy and pro-Legette camps, in the spirit of full disclosure. I think we've finally entered the Josh Allen franchise QB cap hit era where YoY draft capital is more valuable than need-based fan consensus. The only scenario where trading back was acceptable to me was with these very minimal moves. That way, Troy Franklin is still available and we've recouped a 3rd (for a 4th) and turned a late 5th into an early 4th, among other moves. OR another trade-back is available for even better value because pick #33 is a power pick in that regard. Who knows? (of course it's also possible that Beane gave KC their next dynamic WR weapon to pair with the QB we also gave them.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

The problem with hin is Diabetes. Not that he had it, but that he doesn't treat it seriously. 

all I know is he produced in Big games for Georgia and Texas. He’s a prototype 1 with 4.34 speed.

Steve Smith has him as a Top 5 WR in the class and Cosell raved about him saying Top 10 NFL WR potential

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

all I know is he produced in Big games for Georgia and Texas. He’s a prototype 1 with 4.34 speed.

Maybe that's what they see and the diabetes is working to their advantage. I hope so. 

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Potential trade downs from 33 with equivalent Rich Hill chart value (like the 2 previous moves)

33 + 128 to Washington for 36 + 100

33 + 204 to Carolina (lol) for 39  + 101

33 to Washington for 40 + 100

33 + 163 to Green Bay for 41 + 88

33 + 163 to Houston for 42 + 86

33 + 144 to Atlanta for 43 + 79

(didn't double check what Buffalo already traded away... tired!)

33 to Washington for 40&100 would be nice

• Like (+1) 1

I just want to say that everybody who's crying about trading to the Kansas City Chiefs

This is not like when we traded with them and they took Patrick mahomes 

We have a big value at wide receiver... And the fact we let two teams come up and take them.. show we did not value those guys enough to pull the trigger 

Now our front office is not perfect... But it has done a good enough job turning this franchise around to where I trust them 

And Worthy is not Tyreek Hill.. he's 163 lb soaking wet and Elam who is the site's whipping boy.. will have no problem taking him out of a game

I'm not worried about him

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Steve Smith has him as a Top 5 WR in the class and Cosell raved about him saying Top 10 NFL WR potential

His ceiling is as high as anybody's in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thank you for posting.  I was just figuring the difference and you saved me a lot of work.

I think Beane did good IF he is getting his WR with pick #33 that he would have taken at 28.

Not even concerned if we go defense at 33…still plenty of depth to get good value at WR…👍

• Disagree 1

I’m just not cool with letting Worthy fall directly to Mahomes. Oh hey, he’s good enough for the best QB in the league, but he’s not good enough for our guy? What effing planet are we on 

They better get Franklin at this point. No diamond in the rough bull####. Get the proven man. Franklin and McConk are it, Go get them 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I’m just not cool with letting Worthy fall directly to Mahomes. Oh hey, he’s good enough for the best QB in the league, but he’s not good enough for our guy? What effing planet are we on 

They better get Franklin at this point. No diamond in the rough bull####. Get the proven man. Franklin and McConk are it, Go get them 

lol no one is proven in the NFL yet

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

My dream is Coleman and Franklin tomorrow. Two WRs with different physical gifts. Plant them on the field with Josh Allen for the next 5+ years and prosper.

I'm low key on the Coleman train myself. I really feel like his 40 time was just a horrible grenade that exploded his offseason. He just doesn't look that slow. And I was super impressed with his YAC ability.

I feel the same way about Franklin in terms of how unwarranted their precipitous fall after the Combine was.

I wonder if the Bills trade back a fee again just because they view 4 or 5 WRs with the same grade.

I would be really surprised if we didn't pick WR with our next pick, though. As high as the draft world is on guys like Newton and DeJean, we just passed on them twice.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

AD Mitchell’s route change ups and footwork looks extremely unpredictable and therefore difficult to defend

…only 1 drop in 2023 and 

I believe I saw he had the most plays where he was open for huge gains but not targeted

Mitchell played in five College Football Playoff games over his career (Texas and Georgia) and scored a touchdown in all five of them

Please stop frantically posting about Mitchell. Beane has passed on moving up for or selecting all the WR's you've obsessed over all offseason. I'd like us to take him, but I worry that if he gets wind you're on the Mitchell train this hard now - it won't happen 😜

• Haha (+1) 2