Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.   The easiest way to look at it is "needs change fast".   

Nobody thought the Bills need DL help in spring of 2014.........when they could have just saved picks and selected Aaron Donald,  the best DL of the first quarter of this century.    By spring of 2016 they were reaching for Shaq Lawson and Adolphus Washington in the first 3 rounds of the draft.     

The vomit emoji was for your last sentence...awful

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's not as paper thin as you might want to believe

I agree, but if you do think it’s paper thin, that’s a commentary on our drafting. It’d be best to go in a different direction and draft offense. Try to get that elite playmaker, we’ve already drafted tons of defense. If that side doesn’t have depth, there’s not much we can do since we’ve pumped so much into it. 

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the truth is somewhere in between. As an example of the Bills offer their 2025 1st and their own 2025 2nd teams probably expect picks at like 28 and 60 (or whatever). If the Bills trade their 2025 1st and the Vikings 2025 2nd teams probably expect the picks to be like picks 28 and pick 43. 

Yeah it's really an old line of discussion for 40 years ago.   Trade value charts were created to put a finer point on the value of picks.   Those keep evolving.    

• Agree 1

Realistic move:

28, 128, 2025 2nd

to PIT for 20

We jump Miami and steal Worthy.

Crazed move: 

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd, 2nd

to MIN for 23 & Justin Jefferson 

Joe Brady gets LSU tandem in BTJ & JJ

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 1

IDK, I'm hoping BBB can put together a big package to get Odunze. If that fails to materialize I'm hearing and hoping maybe Thomas slips and then maybe we can try to jump up a little bit to grab him. If neither of those happen then hopefully we land Worthy @ 28. 

IDK, just say no to Mitchell and McConkey imho.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Just to circle back to previous Xavier Worthy discussions. 

Not that it should be at all shocking that the fastest guy in combine history would go in round 1, but...Vegas seems to think that's what's about to happen.

What's Ladd's odds?

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I would be ok with Worthy and someone like Polk later.

or Baker

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I have the same list but I will add Worthy. Any of those outcomes are good with me. I wasn't down with him at first, but digging deeper he can ball. I would rather have the top 3 or Thomas/Mitchell...but would be good with Franklin/Worthy. 

I worry that Worthy has a lower ceiling than the other guys. 

It's not a horrible thing, as similar framed guys like John Brown, Hollywood Brown and Brandin Cooks have had productive careers.  

Let the chips fall where they may, I guess.  

2 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I would add Mcconkey and Leggette in there just ahead of Franklin but otherwise agree with this. If we could get any two from that list in the 1st and 2nd I would be over the moon.  Otherwise, one of those and a potential starting safety would be great as well.

Franklin's overall polish and production as the clear cut #1 at Oregon puts him a good distance ahead of Leggette and McConkey for me.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

ITS FINALLY HERE!

NFL Draft Day one 2024.  Even if the Bills don't move up there ARE gems to be had in later rounds. THIS gentleman was a fourth round pick just sayin''. Posting for good luck GO BILLS

reed.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

This is my last chance to post this video again.

Just a reminder that Troy Franklin DOES IT ALL and got better every year at Oregon.

Not sure what people aren't seeing from this guy.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By that leap of logic........the Bills second round pick is then like a 3rd round pick.

Could be.

Depends how many 2nd round grades there are. If there are 30+ second round grades, then it would still be a 2nd round pick.

If we have Nabers or Odunze at this time tomorrow, I'll be thrilled.

Losing the picks would hurt.  But having a top receiver on a rookie contract will also allow us to add more through FA.

21 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Just a reminder that Troy Franklin DOES IT ALL and got better every year at Oregon.

I think his 40 time scared people away, it’s unfortunate for the player but might work out beautifully for a team like the Bills.

2 hours ago, julian said:

Mark Howe in the HOF is surprising to me

Nowadays it's harder to get Caribbean citizenship than it is to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame. They'll induct half of the 2023 Sabres in 20 years. 

• Haha (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I wouldn't mind him in Rd2, I think at 28 he would be overdrafted.  Bills do seem to like him though with all the communication, so I'll trust Beane

1 minute ago, julian said:

I think his 40 time scared people away, it’s unfortunate for the player but might work out beautifully for a team like the Bills.

Ran a 4.41 while sick. 

Strange fruit, these "experts" are.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Odunze is the target and gets to Bears pick at 9, they could just take him.

However, they only have 2 picks in the draft after 9.

My offer:  28, 60, 128, 160, 163, 2025 1st

if they counter, we’ll keep one of this year’s picks and add one next year

There is NO player other than a QB that I would trade all those picks for.  None.  The 28th, 60th and 2025 1st should be three starters, and 128-160-163 collectively have a good chance of being a fourth starter.   There is practically no way that the guy you get at 9 could be more valuable than the combined value of four starters.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There is NO player other than a QB that I would trade all those picks for.  None.  The 28th, 60th and 2025 1st should be three starters, and 128-160-163 collectively have a good chance of being a fourth starter.   There is practically no way that the guy you get at 9 could be more valuable than the combined value of four starters.  

It's easy to agree w/ this.  But, when you have a great QB - it's also hard to overstate how impactful a great WR can be, that you can pair w/ that QB for many years ahead.

A Montana/Rice kind of situation here in Buffalo would be scary for the league.  With Kincaid, Cook & Shakir, and the fairly young line we have, it's almost like we wouldn't have to even worry about personnel on the offensive side of the ball for another few years.  

I'm good w/ whatever tonight - but it won't bother me if we give up a real ransom for Odunze or Nabers.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If Odunze is the target and gets to Bears pick at 9, they could just take him.

However, they only have 2 picks in the draft after 9.

My offer:  28, 60, 128, 160, 163, 2025 1st

if they counter, we’ll keep one of this year’s picks and add one next year

Who are you? Mike Ditka? I think you can jump to 9 for less, but it's probably 28, 1st in 25, plus 60

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ran a 4.41 while sick. 

As if a 4.41 isn't fast.  

It confirms what he did on the field.  He's fast.  He runs by people.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, julian said:

I don't study the draft, at all.  I just watched some of the Troy Franklin video.   I know it's highlights and all, but I like his hands catching, and I like how he tracks the ball.   If the Bills can get that kind of talent at 28 (or even trading down and still get him), I don't see much reason to trade up more than 3-4 spots for any other receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, london_bills said:

I always think of Marquise Goodwin when is see Worthy 

I mean, 11 years later, Goodwin is still in the league…not the worst pick we’ve ever made.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's another guy who, like Keon Coleman, was going higher than Mitchell, Thomas etc before the combine. And after the combine much lower. But typically the early mocks are more true to form. I think he goes tonight and I am good with him. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As if a 4.41 isn't fast.  

His speed was fine at the combine.  His performance in other drills was subpar which hopefully is attributable to the sickness

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't study the draft, at all.  I just watched some of the Troy Franklin video.   I know it's highlights and all, but I like his hands catching, and I like how he tracks the ball.   If the Bills can get that kind of talent at 28 (or even trading down and still get him), I don't see much reason to trade up more than 3-4 spots for any other receiver. 

I agree.  People over-analyze draft prospects and sometimes talk themselves out of great players because they had a bad combine, or whatever.  Franklin was a highly productive receiver at the highest level of CFB, and is faster than anyone the Bills have had in a long time….we could do much worse…

11 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As if a 4.41 isn't fast.  

Not only that, but It's clear just by looking at his legs that he is lanky...I bet his top speed is top tier.

Edit - Only Worthy had a higher on field speed last season. His 10 yard split was 1.61...so a 4.41 is incredible.

Edited by Mikey152

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm really tired of this narrative.  

What I'll say about a WR corps is that I don't believe it's just that it's a sum of all its parts.

Buffalo has had so much success in the passing game since 2020 because of Stefon Diggs.  Davis, McKenzie, Beasely, & Shakir have all benefitted over the years in their production largely because of his presence.

Cincy has had so much success over the last few years because of Jamarr Chase.  Higgins & Boyd benefitted from his presence.

KC was so successful for years because of 2 HOF pass catching monsters and maybe one of the most talented and unique WRs (even though he's a head case) in NFL history in Hill.  Sure... KC won the Super Bowl the last couple years, but their offense very obviously took a massive step backwards.

This team runs through Josh Allen, period.  Give him the best weapons possible.  That might not be an Odunze in a massive trade up.  It might be BTJr or Legette or Worthy... but honestly... if this team isn't looking for whoever they believe "their guy" is at WR in round 1, tonight is a massive letdown.

Buffalo has 10 picks in this draft and is forecasted to have 9 picks next year.  Our roster this year is honestly already at the point where there's absolutely no way 10 or even 9 or 8 draft picks make this team.

Trade up!  Trade up!  Trade up!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ran a 4.41 while sick. 

To be fair, I've heard more than one guy who is plugged in say that these days of GPS, the NFL FOs work far more off GPS data they now have in-game for college prospects vs. the "underwear olympics" at the combine.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

@Shaw66 you and I pretty much disagree entirely about the value of a "#1" or "X" or "boundary" receiver [in the sense of a guy who is "that good at football" and can get open on his own with some combination of moves, speed, strength and or size], with you saying there isn't a need, WR are a dime a dozen now a days, and teams don't value them because modern offenses just scheme guys open, and me offering various counter-points and data.

But we agree completely on this.  

Sell the farm to move up for a guy you think can be the QB for the next 10-14 yrs

But WR?  No, the opportunity cost of losing 3 cost-controlled good players, too high.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’d much prefer 28, 4th and 5th plus 2 x 2015 #2s

Who did we draft in 2015...I wish I knew we could trade previous bad picks away! Damnnn aha.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

@Shaw66 you and I pretty much disagree entirely about the value of a "#1" or "X" or "boundary" receiver [in the sense of a guy who is "that good at football" and can get open on his own with some combination of moves, speed, strength and or size], with you saying there isn't a need, WR are a dime a dozen now a days, and teams don't value them because modern offenses just scheme guys open, and me offering various counter-points and data.

But we agree completely on this.  

Sell the farm to move up for a guy you think can be the QB for the next 10-14 yrs

But WR?  No, the opportunity cost of losing 3 cost-controlled good players, too high.

Absolutely.  

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm really tired of this narrative.  

What I'll say about a WR corps is that I don't believe it's just that it's a sum of all its parts.

Buffalo has had so much success in the passing game since 2020 because of Stefon Diggs.  Davis, McKenzie, Beasely, & Shakir have all benefitted over the years in their production largely because of his presence.

Cincy has had so much success over the last few years because of Jamarr Chase.  Higgins & Boyd benefitted from his presence.

KC was so successful for years because of 2 HOF pass catching monsters and maybe one of the most talented and unique WRs (even though he's a head case) in NFL history in Hill.  Sure... KC won the Super Bowl the last couple years, but their offense very obviously took a massive step backwards.

This team runs through Josh Allen, period.  Give him the best weapons possible.  That might not be an Odunze in a massive trade up.  It might be BTJr or Legette or Worthy... but honestly... if this team isn't looking for whoever they believe "their guy" is at WR in round 1, tonight is a massive letdown.

Buffalo has 10 picks in this draft and is forecasted to have 9 picks next year.  Our roster this year is honestly already at the point where there's absolutely no way 10 or even 9 or 8 draft picks make this team.

Trade up!  Trade up!  Trade up!!!!!

LOL!   I love the font!

We don't agree.  I agree about using some of those 5th and 6th rounders, but that's not getting the Bills up far enough for one of the studs.