Pegulas selling 25% of the Bills, per Tim Graham

Man.....it's like buying 25% of a money printing press.  Could only dream of an opportunity like this.  Someone is going to get the opportunity of a lifetime here.  Good for them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Where do I send my bid?

I’m good for 25% of your 25%. 

I must admit, I did not see this coming when I woke up this morning. I’m glad there is a stadium coming out of the ground, because I’m having Buffalo Braves flashbacks. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m good for 25% of your 25%. 

I must admit, I did not see this coming when I woke up this morning. I’m glad there is a stadium coming out of the ground, because I’m having Buffalo Braves flashbacks. 

In the land of lawyers you really think that matters? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

Interesting considering there were rumors about him trying to sell the Sabres yesterday

i was told early in the bills season by a trusted source of first hand knowledge those rumors were not true. i do not think this person was accurate.

anyone doing this needs to have the ability to purchase the team as a whole should Pegs want to sell it.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Makes zero sense to me.  Can't believe the Pegula's have money issues.

It's more and more common for sports owners to do this.

Tax reasons, stadium cost overruns, etc, etc...

Graham lays it out well in the article.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Aimee75 said:

Can someone break this down for an idiot like me and tell me what this means?

The Pegulas currently own 100% of the Buffalo Bills football team.

They are selling 25% -- or one quarter -- ownership of the team.

This will leave them with 75% -- or three quarters -- ownership of the team.

They are doing this to make some money.

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I mean the Jacobs family, who has run Delaware North, has always been rumored to be interested but never put in a bid. Apparently all the Jacobs kids own the Bruins now so maybe a couple want a piece of the Bills in case Terry decides to sell the team at some point 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Hope this helps.

I got all that, but whom are they selling the 25% to and does this interfere with the team staying or going? Already admitted to being an idiot about this stuff so I am just trying to understand it all.

1 minute ago, Aimee75 said:

I got all that, but whom are they selling the 25% to and does this interfere with the team staying or going? Already admitted to being an idiot about this stuff so I am just trying to understand it all.

If we had those answers it would be in the post but the process seems to be just starting 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Hope this helps.

Yeah even in the next generation as long as they're all on the same page no issue, if they weren't it'd be a cluster***** which it'd have been before most likely only now with an outside force brought in.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

It's more and more common for sports owners to do this.

Tax reasons, stadium cost overruns, etc, etc...

Graham lays it out well in the article.

Yeah Mark Cuban recently did this with the Mavs.. but he actually did the majority

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, noacls said:

The browns and colts say hello. 

Did they have a stadium coming out of the ground across the street when they moved? Teams usually move because they can’t get a stadium. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've had a long standing theory that Bills (and Sabres) ownership is more fragile than it appears.  It does not surprise me to see this announcement.

Terry is in his early 70s, Kim's status as owner is unknown, and none of the five kids are easy to spot heir apparent to running the menagerie of companies he has in his portfolio.

What you really don't want to see is Terry pass unexpectedly, and the ownership is transacted by the family to the highest bidder.  That's a nightmare Bon Jovi scenario.  The likelihood of the Bills being owned by someone like Terry with a deep appreciation of Buffalo and western New York is slim in that scenario.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Aimee75 said:

I was just being cheeky. 

I don't think anyone knows who the bidders will be at this point, but I assume there will be no shortage of suitors.

At this point, there is no reason to believe they are selling any more than 25%, or are moving on from being owners of the Bills, or moving the team, or anything of the sort. The stadium is being built. The Bills aren't going anywhere.

As for the "why" if it, Graham lays it out in his article: Tax considerations, liquidity, stadium overrun costs, etc.

• Like (+1) 1