Superstar WR? The Big Three

I keep reading about Julio Jones and the big trade-up to get him for the QB Matt Ryan led Falcons in 2011. The Falcons didn't even get to an SB until 2016, 5 years after that trade, and even then... they lost to the NE Patriots in that game. The Falcons that SB season also had Devonta Freeman at RB in a balanced offense. 

After that trade for Julio Jones, Atlanta lost the WildCard game that season and lost in the conference championship to the 49ers after a 13-3 season.  The Falcons didn't even make the playoffs with WR Julio Jones in 2013-2014-2015 going 4-12, 6-10 and 8-8. 

Lots of folks saying that the reason for the declining years was because of the resources spent on that stud WR. And that HC Mike Smith was canned along the way in 2015, the GM a bit later in 2020.

Let's look at the team that beat the Falcons in that Super Bowl, the NE Patriots.  Yes, they had Tom Brady at QB all those SB years. But who else did they have? SB in 2001 with WR Troy Brown. The funny thing with that 2001 season was the only 1000-yard season Troy Brown had in his 15 seasons with NE. They also had WR Randy Moss in 2007-2008-2009 and he had 3 1000-yard seasons in NE and yet they made one SB in 2007 only to lose it and didn't make it in the next two seasons with Moss.

So, I'm thinking that these stud superstar WRs don't always make a team an SB contender.  Calvin Johnson, 2007 2015. Megatron, he ever make a SB? Larry Fitzgerald for Arizona 2004-2020. He made it to one SB and lost it. Steve Largent, Seattle 1976-1989 with 8, 1000-yard seasons. 

I look at the NE Patriots who run the very same offensive scheme as the current Buffalo Bills (Erhardt-Perkins). So what did they do so well that got them to so many SBs and wins? They usually played great defense with Ole Bill as the HC. They moved the chains with Troy Brown, Wess Welker, and Julian Edelman, and when they went to the red zone they had a big TE in Rob Gronkowski. Buffalo has their "chain movers" in Shakir, Knox, and Dalton Kincade. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Well, just my opinion.

I think it is Josh Allen's time to take over the reigns of this team and to me, he doesn't need elite weapons. He simply needs receivers who can hang onto the balls most importantly.

Also of importance is being able to fill out the roster. The Bills need depth at almost every position, with starting potential, and the best way to do that is to trade down and acquire multiple picks, ala what SF did in the 1986 draft (look up that draft to see what I mean).

Beane's a big baller though and I wouldn't be surprised if he is in love with getting his hands on Nabers, MHJ or Odunze for Josh Allen. 

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I keep reading about Julio Jones and the big trade-up to get him for the QB Matt Ryan led Falcons in 2011. The Falcons didn't even get to an SB until 2016, 5 years after that trade, and even then... they lost to the NE Patriots in that game. The Falcons that SB season also had Devonta Freeman at RB in a balanced offense. 

After that trade for Julio Jones, Atlanta lost the WildCard game that season and lost in the conference championship to the 49ers after a 13-3 season.  The Falcons didn't even make the playoffs with WR Julio Jones in 2013-2014-2015 going 4-12, 6-10 and 8-8. 

Lots of folks saying that the reason for the declining years was because of the resources spent on that stud WR. And that HC Mike Smith was canned along the way in 2015, the GM a bit later in 2020.

Let's look at the team that beat the Falcons in that Super Bowl, the NE Patriots.  Yes, they had Tom Brady at QB all those SB years. But who else did they have? SB in 2001 with WR Troy Brown. The funny thing with that 2001 season was the only 1000-yard season Troy Brown had in his 15 seasons with NE. They also had WR Randy Moss in 2007-2008-2009 and he had 3 1000-yard seasons in NE and yet they made one SB in 2007 only to lose it and didn't make it in the next two seasons with Moss.

So, I'm thinking that these stud superstar WRs don't always make a team an SB contender.  Calvin Johnson, 2007 2015. Megatron, he ever make a SB? Larry Fitzgerald for Arizona 2004-2020. He made it to one SB and lost it. Steve Largent, Seattle 1976-1989 with 8, 1000-yard seasons. 

I look at the NE Patriots who run the very same offensive scheme as the current Buffalo Bills (Erhardt-Perkins). So what did they do so well that got them to so many SBs and wins? They usually played great defense with Ole Bill as the HC. They moved the chains with Troy Brown, Wess Welker, and Julian Edelman, and when they went to the red zone they had a big TE in Rob Gronkowski. Buffalo has their "chain movers" in Shakir, Knox, and Dalton Kincade. 

This is what I have been saying.  The last 20 years, only one SB team had a WR1 taken in the top 15 picks.  There has never been any team in NFL history to make a huge investment to acquire a WR via trading for a proven one or trading up to draft one and win a SB.  There isn't even a team who signed an expensive one in FA that won a SB.  

Making a large investment in a WR via draft picks or free agency spending has a 0% success rate...aka 100% fail rate...in taking a team and getting them over the hump to win a Super Bowl.

Look at what Miami paid for Tyreek Hill who has been arguably the best WR in the NFL (him or Jefferson) the past 2 years and Miami can't even win their division with a 4 game lead late in the season and has 0 playoff wins.  Or look at Raiders an Davante Adams.  Even NE when they had Moss actually LOST in the Super Bowl, although they didn't invest a lot to get him.  

Now go look at the top 5 WR's in the NFL...more often than not, they are not on teams in the Super Bowl, let alone winning it.  

This board has had an unhealthy obsession with WR as if not having the best WR's is the reason we lose.  We lost in 2020 because we were the worst team on the field in that game.  We lost in 2021 because of our defense.  We lost in 2022 because we got dominated in the trenches and couldn't run the ball in bad elements.  We lost in 2023 because we had no Linebackers and KC abused that mismatch and we couldn't even get Mahomes dirty.  

We have never been eliminated because we didn't have enough weapons.  Our stable of weapons the last 4 years is better than a lot of Super Bowl winning teams offensive stables.  We had a top 5, arguably top 3, WR for the past 4 seasons and we have lost in the 2nd round 3 straight seasons.  

I mean, I want a WR early in this draft too, we all do.  But this notion we must mortgage the farm to go get one has 0 examples of ever working and weakens a cap strapped team from building the overall roster.  I mean next year, we have a first and 2 seconds to keep adding more ammo to this team, and people want to give it away like sticks of gum.  Not to mention, this is maybe the best WR draft in history, even less need to make a major move.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It the old US hockey team story, 

we don’t necessarily need the “best “ players, but we do damn well need the “right” players, 

imo, we are up to our ears in slot style receivers with two that can play “some boundary”, we do not have true boundary guys that can “as needed” stretch / take the top off a defense, and still run at least a near full route tree, those are the guys we need, I don’t care what their names are or what schools they come from, but those are the guys we need…, the question is can we get these guys without giving up picks we need later for our depth needs, again, jmo. 

• Agree 1

The last 5 super bowls had the following #1 receiving options. In addition to that in most cases these teams had another option that was pretty damn good as well.  

2023: Travis Kelse vs Brandon Aiyuk

2022: Travis Kelse vs AJ Brown

2021: Cooper Kupp vs Ja'Marr Chase

2020: Mike Evans vs Travis Kelse

2019: Travis Kelse vs George Kittle 

Just because New England was able to do it a certain way doesn't make it a model for everybody else. Even in the 5 years since the last New England Super Bowl the game has changed even more. Other examples you give such as Megatron (horrific team) Moss (major reason for undefeated season), Julio Jones (should have won the Super Bowl) don't add up to don't focus on WR.

If anything this thread tells me the Super Bowl has multiple paths for different teams. Currently we don't have a dominating unit. That could change with some positive play but that's where it stands right now. We have Allen and a lot of pieces that could come together.  With that we don't have a pass catcher on our roster who has ever achieved a 1000 yard season in his career. So yes, as much as you can argue WR isn't an essential piece to the equation for many teams it is for us right now. Currently our most essential piece has no weapons and that statement would also be true for the future years unless we see Kinkaid or Shakir really take off. Very possible, but you land your insurance piece in the draft and thats how you become one of the teams above with your main pass catcher being a star with secondary options being guys like Deboo Samuel, Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins, Chris Godwin, DeVonta Smith, etc

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I think 9ers & Eagles both had elite WRs the last 2 years

They didn't move up in the draft and devote major ammo to land those receivers, and only AJ Brown is elite

The OP's point is that making a Julio Jones type deal to move up for a receiver doesn't equate to championships, and I would agree.

We have an elite QB in his prime on a massive contract. This team has to build its roster through the draft to keep contending

• Like (+1) 1

We’re the Bills. We’re never going to win a Super Bowl. Might as well get Marvin Harrison Jr. and enjoy the show…

😛

Overall really good post. That said, I still hope they get Josh a few more weapons wherever they choose to draft them.

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Do you think the Falcons lost because they had Julio Jones?

Do you think the 2007 Pats lost because they had Randy Moss?

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This is what I have been saying.  The last 20 years, only one SB team had a WR1 taken in the top 15 picks.  There has never been any team in NFL history to make a huge investment to acquire a WR via trading for a proven one or trading up to draft one and win a SB.  There isn't even a team who signed an expensive one in FA that won a SB.  

Making a large investment in a WR via draft picks or free agency spending has a 0% success rate...aka 100% fail rate...in taking a team and getting them over the hump to win a Super Bowl.

Look at what Miami paid for Tyreek Hill who has been arguably the best WR in the NFL (him or Jefferson) the past 2 years and Miami can't even win their division with a 4 game lead late in the season and has 0 playoff wins.  Or look at Raiders an Davante Adams.  Even NE when they had Moss actually LOST in the Super Bowl, although they didn't invest a lot to get him.  

Now go look at the top 5 WR's in the NFL...more often than not, they are not on teams in the Super Bowl, let alone winning it.  

This board has had an unhealthy obsession with WR as if not having the best WR's is the reason we lose.  We lost in 2020 because we were the worst team on the field in that game.  We lost in 2021 because of our defense.  We lost in 2022 because we got dominated in the trenches and couldn't run the ball in bad elements.  We lost in 2023 because we had no Linebackers and KC abused that mismatch and we couldn't even get Mahomes dirty.  

We have never been eliminated because we didn't have enough weapons.  Our stable of weapons the last 4 years is better than a lot of Super Bowl winning teams offensive stables.  We had a top 5, arguably top 3, WR for the past 4 seasons and we have lost in the 2nd round 3 straight seasons.  

I mean, I want a WR early in this draft too, we all do.  But this notion we must mortgage the farm to go get one has 0 examples of ever working and weakens a cap strapped team from building the overall roster.  I mean next year, we have a first and 2 seconds to keep adding more ammo to this team, and people want to give it away like sticks of gum.  Not to mention, this is maybe the best WR draft in history, even less need to make a major move.  

How many WR’s drafted in picks 15 -32 have made the Super Bowl?

do you think there’s any correlation between players drafted by playoff or fringe playing teams and eventually making a Super Bowl vs players drafted by a crappy team not making it?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

But they got to the Super Bowl; we had a one conference championship appearance with Diggs, Beasley, Brown & Sanders

Losing 2nd or losing 8th is still losing.  Who cares.  I want to win.  

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Lots of folks saying that the reason for the declining years was because of the resources spent on that stud WR

also, a very funny comment considering the Browns drafted dynamos such as:

DT Phil Taylor, fullback Owen Marecic, and quarterback Brandon Weeden. They packaged on of the picks in 2012 to trade up for Trent Richardson.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

How many WR’s drafted in picks 15 -32 have made the Super Bowl?

do you think there’s any correlation between players drafted by playoff or fringe playing teams and eventually making a Super Bowl vs players drafted by a crappy team not making it?

Not that many, go look for yourself.  

And again, I am also talking teams who are good teams making a move to go get a Tyreek Hill, Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs who are top tier WR1 and after all they spent to get them and pay them got ZERO Super Bowls.  Or a team spending big to trade up and get a Julio Jones.  So not, its not a correlation of just bad teams, I am specifically stating teams that have gone and spent big thinking a WR gets them over the hump to ultimately win nothing of importance.  

I am happy to be wrong about this, so if you can find even one example of a team that won a Super Bowl after any of the following scenarios, I will glady adjust my 0% success rate and 100% fail rate statements:

• Acquired for top dollar in Free Agency
  • Acquired via trade for premium draft capital (like Adams, Hill, Diggs, etc)
  • Acquired through an expensive trade up trade in a draft (like a Julio, Watkins, etc)

Find me any example that got a team over the hump to put hardware in their case for going all in on a WR and I will change my tune.  Don't even need multiple examples, just asking for one that maybe I missed, which is possible.  

19 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Stay at 28 or make a modest trade up to get your guy. Those are the two realistic options. They'll be fine.

Yeah … this has been a crazy offseason to date …. But I’ll be very surprised if Beane pays the price to move up into the Top 10

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I understand what you are trying to say, but every Super Bowl winning team in the last 5 years HAS had a top 10 receiving threat in that season (Kelce, Kupp, Kelce, Evans, Hill)

and, no team that has made the Super Bowl in the last 5 seasons has had a little surrounding talent then what the bills have right now without Diggs.

the situation is clear.  WR room is lacking talent on this team, and there are 3 high end potential top end #1 WR prospects in this draft.

in addition, the concern of not being able to field a strong roster if we mortgage picks to move up is in my opinion a controllable risk.  One of Beane’s best abilities is to utilize several avenues to field NFL capable talent across the field.  One of his big criticisms? Bringing in superstar talent.

does Beane moving up for a top end WR guarantee any success?  No, of course not.  But if he does move up does it give us more autonomy in selecting the right WR to potentially put us to the promise land?  Yes it does.

we will have to see what happens on draft day 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And again, I am also talking teams who are good teams making a move to go get a Tyreek Hill, Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs who are top tier WR1 and after all they spent to get them and pay them got ZERO Super Bowls.  Or a team spending big to trade up and get a Julio Jones.  So not, its not a correlation of just bad teams, I am specifically stating teams that have gone and spent big thinking a WR gets them over the hump to ultimately win nothing of importance.  

I am happy to be wrong about this, so if you can find even one example of a team that won a Super Bowl after any of the following scenarios, I will glady adjust my 0% success rate and 100% fail rate statements:

• Acquired through an expensive trade up trade in a draft (like a Julio, Watkins, etc)

Find me any example that got a team over the hump to put hardware in their case for going all in on a WR and I will change my tune.  Don't even need multiple examples, just asking for one that maybe I missed, which is possible.  

2017 Eagles signed Alshon Jeffrey to the 5th highest WR contract by AAV in FA.

You lose!

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Losing 2nd or losing 8th is still losing.  Who cares.  I want to win.  

I do too. We can’t find a Kelce so we might as well load up on quality WRs

29 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I understand what you are trying to say, but every Super Bowl winning team in the last 5 years HAS had a top 10 receiving threat in that season (Kelce, Kupp, Kelce, Evans, Hill)

Difference though is that those teams had better overall rosters because they didn't blow multiple premium picks and insane cap space to get them.  And Kelce this year was no where near top 5, he was looking shot a chunk of the year and people were surprised he didn't retire.  Not sure Kelce was even top 5 the year before...at his position yes, but he isn't better than 5 of the best receivers in the game.  Evans was not on most peoples top 5 list either, nor was Hill when they won, but easily top 10 so that is splitting hairs much like Kelce. 

and, no team that has made the Super Bowl in the last 5 seasons has had a little surrounding talent then what the bills have right now without Diggs.

the situation is clear.  WR room is lacking talent on this team, and there are 3 high end potential top end #1 WR prospects in this draft.

No one disagrees we need to add a WR, but the talent is rich and deep in this draft.  Next year we have a first and 2 second round picks that could really bolster this team, to give them up sets us back elsewhere.  So the question is, is the cost to do so offset the loss of assets?  And in a draft this good for WR, I don't see it.  

Plus...we had a top 5 WR on this team for 4 years straight, arguably top 3 for 2+ of those years and we haven't made it out of 2nd round in 3 straight seasons.  So its pretty clear, top 5 WR is not our missing piece or we would have won a SB already.

in addition, the concern of not being able to field a strong roster if we mortgage picks to move up is in my opinion a controllable risk.  One of Beane’s best abilities is to utilize several avenues to field NFL capable talent across the field.  One of his big criticisms? Bringing in superstar talent.

does Beane moving up for a top end WR guarantee any success?  No, of course not.  But if he does move up does it give us more autonomy in selecting the right WR to potentially put us to the promise land?  Yes it does.

we will have to see what happens on draft day 

Im not gonna throw a fit if we move up and get one of the big 3, all of them would be exciting.  But I do not think its a sound investment in a draft that is probably the best WR draft in NFL history.  I would rather keep our picks next year and use our 1st and 2nd on 2 WR's doubling our chances than give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds to get one.  

Remember Jeudy, Ruggs, and Lamb draft as the big 3 can't miss guys?  Only one of them panned out and the best WR in that draft was Jefferson and then Higgins until Lamb made a case finally in year 4 to be the 2nd best WR out of tha draft.  No guarantees the big 3 end up being the be best WR's to come out of this draft even.  Tons of high ceiling players in it.

23 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I do too. We can’t find a Kelce so we might as well load up on quality WRs

We may have already found a Kelce...you forget about Dalton Kincaid?

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Difference though is that those teams had better overall rosters because they didn't blow multiple premium picks and insane cap space to get them.  And Kelce this year was no where near top 5, he was looking shot a chunk of the year and people were surprised he didn't retire.  Not sure Kelce was even top 5 the year before...at his position yes, but he isn't better than 5 of the best receivers in the game.  Evans was not on most peoples top 5 list either, nor was Hill when they won, but easily top 10 so that is splitting hairs much like Kelce. 

No one disagrees we need to add a WR, but the talent is rich and deep in this draft.  Next year we have a first and 2 second round picks that could really bolster this team, to give them up sets us back elsewhere.  So the question is, is the cost to do so offset the loss of assets?  And in a draft this good for WR, I don't see it.  

Plus...we had a top 5 WR on this team for 4 years straight, arguably top 3 for 2+ of those years and we haven't made it out of 2nd round in 3 straight seasons.  So its pretty clear, top 5 WR is not our missing piece or we would have won a SB already.

Im not gonna throw a fit if we move up and get one of the big 3, all of them would be exciting.  But I do not think it’s a sound investment in a draft that is probably the best WR draft in NFL history.  I would rather keep our picks next year and use our 1st and 2nd on 2 WR's doubling our chances than give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds to get one.  

I don’t fault anything you are saying (although I think saying us getting Diggs and not winning clearly shows a top WR isn’t our problem is a bit simplistic).

The Bills still have a top 6 roster in the league.  They carry a top 3 QB, a top 7 RB, top 5 TE room, top 10 O line, top 7 LB core, and top 12 dline.  They need secondary, which McD and Beane have shown to be able to bring in above average talent without investing high draft capital.  Their WR room is bottom 10 in the league right now, and if they bring in a top 3 draft WR they fix a bad spot on their roster.  Along with that, they potentially have a cost controller superstar talent, when as you mentioned they have a potential cap squeeze over the next two/three years.  WRs are becoming the third highest position in football behind QB and Dline.  Getting 5 years of cost controlled #1 WR play?  I think if Beane believes he can get it, he will go for it

There is no 1 way to success. 

So now the Bills are going to copy the Patriots with a bunch of JAGs at wide receiver and dink and dunk all over the field?

Why are fans so opposed to giving Allen the weapons he needs?    

In the same way Josh isn't going to carry this team on his back to a Super Bowl, the Bills aren't going to "moneyball" their way there either.  

Think '89/'94 49ers, '93 Cowboys, '21 Buccaneers.  Loaded with talent, with the right guy at QB.  That's how they get it done.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Agree 3

You can do this with any position.

”You don’t need a superstar LT to win a Super Bowl”

”You don’t need a superstar DE to win a Super Bowl”

You generally need a great QB. All other positions don’t dictate your future.

But franchise WRs, LTs, CBs, DEs, etc make it easier. They’re the second tier of most important positions.

• Like (+1) 4

As tempting as it is to give a kings ranson for MHJ, Nabers or Odunze, I'd much rather watch Beane be wise and prudent letting the remaining very good wrs come to 28. We will very soon need a better pass rusher, C and safety.  I'm all for drafting wrs in the first 2 rounds. But a Julio Jones scenario would be foolish.  Even Sammy would agree.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

So now the Bills are going to copy the Patriots with a bunch of JAGs at wide receiver and dink and dunk all over the field?

It worked for KC. When your superstar qb gets paid the largest chunk of cap space this is the way. That superstar qb has to elevate his to maximize their potential. Mahomes did it. Allen can too. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I could debate the 49ers traded up in 1985 to get Jerry Rice, granted they were the defending Super Bowl champs. Yet he definitely helped them win 3 Super Bowls. Yet I agree I'm not one that feels we have to trade up. The reason people are clamoring for this draft at appears to have not just the top 3 guys and question marks but you can still get an above average WR if get the 6th or 7th guy off the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

In the same way Josh isn't going to carry this team on his back to a Super Bowl, the Bills aren't going to "moneyball" their way there either.  

Think '89/'94 49ers, '93 Cowboys, '21 Buccaneers.  Loaded with talent, with the right guy at QB.  That's how they get it done.  

21 Tompa Bays. Now that was a receiving core. 

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Well, just my opinion.

I think it is Josh Allen's time to take over the reigns of this team and to me, he doesn't need elite weapons. He simply needs receivers who can hang onto the balls most importantly.

Also of importance is being able to fill out the roster. The Bills need depth at almost every position, with starting potential, and the best way to do that is to trade down and acquire multiple picks, ala what SF did in the 1986 draft (look up that draft to see what I mean).

Beane's a big baller though and I wouldn't be surprised if he is in love with getting his hands on Nabers, MHJ or Odunze for Josh Allen. 

I would much rather give Allen some weapons. This is not to say we don't need depth, but there will be a top WR when we pick. I just cannot see us not addressing this need early in the draft and not giving JA some tools to accompany Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid, and Cook. Right now, this is it, and not how I would like to go into the season.

The Bills have a ton of picks this year, and their R1, R2, etc. An extra R2 next year (probably a good one). With cap space next year, and the need to bring in top cheap talent via draft this year.

Don’t all signs point to trading up in the 2024 R1..?

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And both lost.  

At this point, let’s lose the Super Bowl instead of the divisional 

jokes aside, the idea that the falcons somehow didn’t get great value securing Julio is silly. That the OP points to it as a reason they went 4-12 one season is laughable. How many wins does he think an extra 1 and 2 would’ve resulted in?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If looking at key threads through the last 20 years you must be in on this news that Brady would consider playing. 

that he and mahomes had elite TEs, and had moss and tyreek as late round grabs doesn’t make me feel like getting a moss or tyreek early in the draft would ruin us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not gonna throw a fit if we move up and get one of the big 3, all of them would be exciting.  But I do not think its a sound investment in a draft that is probably the best WR draft in NFL history.  I would rather keep our picks next year and use our 1st and 2nd on 2 WR's doubling our chances than give up 2 firsts and 2 seconds to get one.  

Remember Jeudy, Ruggs, and Lamb draft as the big 3 can't miss guys?  Only one of them panned out and the best WR in that draft was Jefferson and then Higgins until Lamb made a case finally in year 4 to be the 2nd best WR out of tha draft.  No guarantees the big 3 end up being the be best WR's to come out of this draft even.  Tons of high ceiling players in it.

We may have already found a Kelce...you forget about Dalton Kincaid?

I remember jeudy ruggs and lamb as the best in that class. I do not recall them being considered generational prospects. We are talking picks 12, 15 and 17. 

47 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I could debate the 49ers traded up in 1985 to get Jerry Rice, granted they were the defending Super Bowl champs. Yet he definitely helped them win 3 Super Bowls. Yet I agree I'm not one that feels we have to trade up. The reason people are clamoring for this draft at appears to have not just the top 3 guys and question marks but you can still get an above average WR if get the 6th or 7th guy off the board. 

Good find, and I am aware of this one, but its not really an example for a couple reasons, one of which you already stated.

• As you already said, they were already Super Bowl champions, he was a luxury add to a SB Championship team, not a missing piece.
  • All the Niners netted in the trade was a loss of one 2nd round pick.  The other compensation was just a swap of third rounders, so slight trade down.  It doesn't meet the multiple premium picks criteria.  

But yes, he was a cornerstone moving forward, but those Fortyniner teams were stacked on both sides of the ball including what for periods of time were considered the GOAT at QB, WR, and S and a bunch of all time greats on both sides of the ball.  

However, a more relevant SF example is when 10 years later Bill Walsh and the Niners traded up to number 10 to draft JJ Stokes, calling him "the next Jerry Rice" and traded away 2 firsts, a 3rd and a 4th rounder to do so just for him to be a bust.  In fact, the actual heir to Rice would be none other than Terrell Owens who they acquired in the 3rd round the very next draft without having to trade anything to get him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I remember jeudy ruggs and lamb as the best in that class. I do not recall them being considered generational prospects. We are talking picks 12, 15 and 17. 

How many Super Bowls did generational talents of Moss, Megatron, Fitzgerald, and Julio win?  

And in that draft, Jeudy, Lambn, and Ruggs  were considered some of the best WR's to come out in a while and that was considered one of the best WR drafts heading into it in recent times with them being in a class of their own.  More importantly, people wanted to mortgage a ton of picks to go get one, even more than we paid for Diggs...which would have been a mistake when none of them were as good as the guys still on the board at our original pick nor as good as Diggs was for us the past 4 years.

Tond Mandarich was considered maybe the greatest prospect of all time of almost any position like he was destined for the HOF.  He was not that in the NFL. I can think of a long list of "generational" talents in drafts that either went on to have solid, mediocre, or flat out bust careers.  It isn't a sure thing.  

There are WR'S in this draft that can be impact WR's other than the "Big 3".  Cosell said as such. He sees AD Mitchell as one of those guys, along with Thomas Jr., who can become that.  Franklin was considered a stud until the combine.

Fans get too damn wrapped up in names and who the media pushes. I still feel we can get an impact guy at 28 or even move down into the early 2nd round and grab one.  There is just no way I would give up anything more than a 2nd next year to move up in the 1st IF even that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cray51 said:

I don’t fault anything you are saying (although I think saying us getting Diggs and not winning clearly shows a top WR isn’t our problem is a bit simplistic).

The Bills still have a top 6 roster in the league.  They carry a top 3 QB, a top 7 RB, top 5 TE room, top 10 O line, top 7 LB core, and top 12 dline.  They need secondary, which McD and Beane have shown to be able to bring in above average talent without investing high draft capital.  Their WR room is bottom 10 in the league right now, and if they bring in a top 3 draft WR they fix a bad spot on their roster.  Along with that, they potentially have a cost controller superstar talent, when as you mentioned they have a potential cap squeeze over the next two/three years.  WRs are becoming the third highest position in football behind QB and Dline.  Getting 5 years of cost controlled #1 WR play?  I think if Beane believes he can get it, he will go for it

I generally favor trying to get 2 WRs early, one at #28 and trading up from #60. I like McConkey and think he will be a high volume receiver right out of the box, so to speak. Then I'd like to end up with Legette or Mitchell. I would be willing to part with a 2025 second to accomplish that. I'd rather not pay the price for a top 3.

Your argument is a compelling one, so long as you hit on the WR. You're in a world of hurt if you get it wrong, and some folks might not want to take that risk. I do think the top 3, barring the unforeseen mishap or unknown data we are unaware of, look to be high floor players who also have high ceilings.

I could be totally wrong on this, but I do have a feeling Beane wouldn't have traded Diggs without a tangible plan. Maybe it was something so bad in the locker room, he had to make the trade, I dunno. I think it's at least 50/50 he goes big, and tries to get a top tier WR.

Edited by Dr. Who