OJ Simpson dead at 76

Bigvinny

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

It’s funny how many people suddenly turn into couch attorneys the moment OJ gets mentioned. What plenty of people casually overlook is that Nicole had someone else’s blood under her fingernails. It wasn’t hers, Ron’s or OJ’s. People should look a little closer at OJ’s son.. his actions and mental state just before the time of the murders were absolutely chaotic.  There is a lot of smoke there.  

But there's still nuance involved here. Lets say this theory is correct about his son...what would you then feel about his behavior for the decades after it happened? You could debate about protecting your child if you know he murdered 2 people...I think I know what side of that I'd be on...but lets say even then, the guy wrote a parody-ish book about it, tried multiple times to profit off it, and flat out joked about it many times. That wouldn't make him a killer...but I still think all of that would make him a POS. 

• Bigvinny changed the title to OJ Simpson dead at 76
38 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I agree.  The Bills should not issue any kind of public statement in connection with Simpson's death.  Nothing good can come of it.

Personally I think it would be sad if the Bills didn't acknowledge his death. He was a GREAT Buffalo Bills player. I've met OJ on multiple occasions throughout my life and he's been one of the most approachable, gracious, ex-football players I've met. I wonder if any of the people that calls him a terrible human being ever met or spoken with him? Maybe he had a Jekyll/Hyde personality. I've had the pleasure of speaking to Dr. Jekyll each time

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, KeLLy1278 said:

It’s funny how many people suddenly turn into couch attorneys the moment OJ gets mentioned. What plenty of people casually overlook is that Nicole had someone else’s blood under her fingernails. It wasn’t hers, Ron’s or OJ’s. People should look a little closer at OJ’s son.. his actions and mental state just before the time of the murders were absolutely chaotic.  There is a lot of smoke there.  

GTF out of here with this crap.  The blood was "too degraded for testing" and the expert testified that it was most likely Nicole's blood.  There was not evidence that it was someone else's blood.  It just couldn't be said for certain whose blood it was because of the degradation of it.  OJ did it.  My lord.  What's really funny is people still trying to defend this piece of crap.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally I think it would be sad if the Bills didn't acknowledge his death. He was a GREAT Buffalo Bills player. I've met OJ on multiple occasions throughout my life and he's been one of the most approachable, gracious, ex-football players I've met. I wonder if any of the people that calls him a terrible human being ever met or spoken with him? Maybe he had a Jekyll/Hyde personality. I've had the pleasure of speaking to Dr. Jekyll each time

This is common mistake.  People confuse charm and charisma with goodness. Many of histories most evil people have been charming and charismatic. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

This would literally be PR Hell if they released a statement. 

38 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

If you can find a copy, read “OJ Education of a Rich Rookie”. A book OJ and a co-author wrote about his rookie season. Interesting times and racial biases back then. Changing of the guard from the championship-era Bills to the terrible teams of the early 70s. Hard to believe the NFL and society have changed that much in my lifetime. Black QBs were barely being accepted. 

I think it was the 1973 season we were driving to a game on the Youngmann and who do we pass but OJ driving his car to the game. He smiled and waved at me and this 14-year old was ecstatic. 

Prayers to Nicole and Mr. Goldman and their families. 

I have the book, good read. The excerpts involving Paul McGuire are hilarious.

18 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They should but who knows. Nowadays everyone is so afraid to god forbid say anything that may offend anyone. It’s all about pandering and being inclusive ad nauseam.  What they should do is state that what he did on the field was not done before or since.  Period.  His peak was remarkable and his records may never be broken. Leave it at that. This is the NFL no more, no less. 

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Let's see if the Bills publicly acknowledge it.  

No way...I'd be surprised.  The Bills released a player for an unvetted accusation that never saw a trial...Can't imagine they will recognize an accused murderer who was convicted in a civil trial and by all accounts, the majority of the US population believes is an actual murderer.

Just now, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

No way...I'd be surprised.  The Bills released a player for an unvetted accusation that never saw a trial...Can't imagine they will recognize an accused murderer who was convicted in a civil trial and by all accounts, the majority of the US population believes is an actual murderer.

Who did they release for that? Wow.. so all someone has to do is accuse me of something and my career is over.  Hilariously sad times we live in. 

Just let the guy RIP,  we are not any worse or better after his death,  than if he were still living today.  

He is and was 100% irrelevant to anyone but himself and maybe his immediate family.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have his autograph...does the value of that go up or down after his death?

If it has a fingerprint on the bloody knife, that would be worth a fortune!

29 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Such cutting remarks

I see what you did there!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I think that folks are "acknowledging" or "remembering" his success on the field, while correctly balancing that against the fact that he was a terrible human being.  I don't think folks are "celebrating" his playing career.  There are, unfortunately, a lot of people out there who have murdered other people.  Many of them have been caught, tried, and convicted, and some have not.   Very few (if any) were major stars in football, film, and TV media like OJ.  It's really a tragedy that a guy who was literally sitting on top of the world ruined his own life and took the life of 2 others, and ruined the lives of their families and friends, as well as making life much more difficult for his own children.  I'm glad he's gone.

This take I agree with, in a later post I clarified I was strictly referring to the posts where their only comment was either celebrating or mourning the guy.  Many people had posts acknowledging their fond memories of OJ the football player while also mentioning it is tough celebrating him as a human being which is more than fair.  But when finding out the news that OJ passed away and your first and only comment is Oh wow he ran for 2000 yards in a season it's kind of a joke IMO

There are few opportunities richer for inter-web flaming and faux outrage than those in which two things can be true at the same time.   Choose one truth and launch into the other with not-so-clever rhetorical shading and misrepresentation.

Shame, too.,   This story is perhaps the most remarkable of my life with regard to accomplishment, celebrity, failure and tragedy .. complete with charismatic and beautiful people.    It is the closest thing to classic Greek Tragedy than anything else I can think of.  There is a kingdom, ordinary people, a great king, jealousy, infidelity, a slain wife … wealth, power, fame, blood and gore and mystery.

I hope all involved rest in peace, a sentiment that’s true at the same time as any recognizing dastardly evil. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

It's amazing to hear a lot of research on this that's been done which opens a legit case that OJ's son could have done it. 

I didn't want to send the thread in different directions and bring this up - but since you did 😛 - years ago there was a 'documentary' on youtube put together by some PI that had compelling point by poing breakdowns of how/why OJ's son could have done it.  It was pretty compelling.  Every once in a while I've looked for it and can't find it anymore.   I've (half-)joked with my kids over the years that OJ took the fall for his son.   

• Agree 3

47 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

But there's still nuance involved here. Let’s say this theory is correct about his son...what would you then feel about his behavior for the decades after it happened? You could debate about protecting your child if you know he murdered 2 people...I think I know what side of that I'd be on...but lets say even then, the guy wrote a parody-ish book about it, tried multiple times to profit off it, and flat out joked about it many times. That wouldn't make him a killer...but I still think all of that would make him a POS. 

What you THINK you would do is a lot different than what you WOULD do if something like that happened relating to your son or daughter.  Would you try to cover something up for your mentally ill son or daughter? Plenty of people would, plenty of people wouldn’t. If this was a cover up and OJ’s son Jason did do it.. everyone is obviously free to think and judge however they want.  But as far as profiting from it and so on.. he obviously was not able to find any work on television after this whole thing went down so he decided to profit on it in other ways. I heard he turned down a heck of a lot of opportunities to make much more money off of it.  This is one of those things that will forever live in infamy no matter what. 

39 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

This is such a joke of an argument.  I think there's a lot of people in here who never watched the OJ Simpson Made in America documentary which was well done.  He just simply was not a good person.  He was not only a sociopath but a huge NARCISSIST who was good at tricking people into thinking he was a decent guy.  To me the fact that all of his old inner circle from back in the day walked away from the guy is most telling.  They would know better than any of us. I get he was a great football player I really do but I think sadly some fans really seem to struggle letting go of those feelings of him being a great ball player.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I didn't want to send the thread in different directions and bring this up - but since you did 😛 - years ago there was a 'documentary' on youtube put together by some PI that had compelling point by poing breakdowns of how/why OJ's son could have done it.  It was pretty compelling.  Every once in a while I've looked for it and can't find it anymore.   I've (half-)joked with my kids over the years that OJ took the fall for his son.   

I read that book! Interesting take on the case. And one that I could never rule out,,, because what the hell do I know. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Your reply says it all!

Four posts in and you've managed to say absolutely nothing...are you going to contribute to the thread or not?