Which player is the draft community too low on?

Logic

Just as the title says. In your opinion, what player is the draft community too low on, that you think will (or at least should) be drafted higher than where the analysts and the draftniks have him going currently?

I'll start:

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon.

I get it, it's a great WR class. Still, for all you hear about the big three, Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Keon Coleman...Troy Franklin tends to be an afterthought. Yes, he's skinny. He's also fast, silky smooth, has legitimate ability to win deep, and posted quality production at Oregon the past two years, including 1383 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2023. To me, he's akin to a Devonta Smith, Chris Olave type, if perhaps a step down (though not a big one) in overall talent from those two.

I think everyone is too low on Troy Franklin. I'm not sure that, after the big three receivers, he's not the next best guy. I like him a lot.

So who's yours? Which player is the draft community too low on?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

Spencer Rattler...put him on Washington, or LSU, or Oregon, or Michigan or Florida State or whatever and I just wonder if the results are different. There is something about him...I'm not typically a small quarterback guy, but I find him interesting in terms of the arm talent and athleticism. The wrist flick on some of his deep throws are just different. 

His college film isn't much different than Patrick Mahomes' was. I think if Rattler gets in the right situation he will make it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Johnny Wilson.

The kid could be a legitimate red zone threat right away for the right team.

Good one. I'm highly dubious as to his ability to be a traditional NFL receiver.

But as a move player, big slot, TE/WR hybrid that's used situationally and in the red zone? I think he could have some real value. Put him up against a 5'9" slot corner and throw it up high to him. Let the big man work.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just as the title says. In your opinion, what player is the draft community too low on, that you think will (or at least should) be drafted higher than where the analysts and the draftniks have him going currently?

I'll start:

I get it, it's a great WR class. Still, for all you hear about the big three, Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Keon Coleman...Troy Franklin tends to be an afterthought. Yes, he's skinny. He's also fast, silky smooth, has legitimate ability to win deep, and posted quality production at Oregon the past two years, including 1383 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2023. To me, he's akin to a Devonta Smith, Chris Olave type, if perhaps a step down (though not a big one) in overall talent from those two.

I think everyone is too low on Troy Franklin. I'm not sure that, after the big three receivers, he's not the next best guy. I like him a lot.

Him and legette 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Spencer Rattler...put him on Washington, or LSU, or Oregon, or Michigan or Florida State or whatever and I just wonder if the results are different. There is something about him...I'm not typically a small quarterback guy, but I find him interesting in terms of the arm talent and athleticism. The wrist flick on some of his deep throws are just different. 

His college film isn't much different than Patrick Mahomes' was. I think if Rattler gets in the right situation he will make it. 

he was in a tremendous situation at Oklahoma and couldn't get it done

He obviously improved and was a top HS QB so has a great arm 

But OU instantly get better when they went to the true freshman Caleb Williams who looked like a #1 overall pick

Rattler was supposed to be that guy but took a while to develop 

He has the tools of a starter but he's missing some stuff

4th round but that's a good QB in that round

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ja’lynn Polk.  He has great hands, possesses physicality, run blocking ability, contested catches and is a threat downfield.   And he already has an nfl body.  That’s my guy.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

RB - Ray Davis - Kentucky

I think he may end up being the best running back in the draft. He didn't have a great combine, but he simply knows how to play ball.

WR - Roman Wilson + Javon Baker

The only reason they aren't being discussed much is that this draft is loaded with receivers. Both are good route runners with great hands.

CB - Kamari Lassiter - Great player but his weight (180 lbs) might be scaring away some teams

Edited by Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD
  • Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He started at OU and sucked.  

Ladd McConkey 

• Like (+1) 4

Cam Hart, corner, Notre Dame

Very smart football player, and he plays up to his opponents.  His best games in college were against the better receivers.  Has the characteristics of an outstanding zone corner or safety.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll start:

I am saying after the top 3 guys he is next. Analytically he grades out as very good in basically every metric beside contested catches. Had above 3 yards per route run against man and zone, one of the top graded WRs against single coverage in the last few years (up there with Davante Smith, Jamar Chase, etc.). When it comes to explosive plays, he generated a 30 yard gain in 12/13 games. He had a 40 yard gain in 7/13 games. Both led the class. He is just a very consistent, explosive and well rounded receiver that a poor combine is dragging down the boards.

When you watch him play, you see why the analytics are so high on him. Excellent release package, can make plays at three levels, has some nastiness and wiggle to his yac, and was ALWAYS on the same page as Bo Nix. 

I go into a little more detail in this thread:

But imo, Troy Franklin is WR4 and my top target for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But OU instantly get better when they went to the true freshman Caleb Williams who looked like a #1 overall pick

Beat me to it. Talented guy, looks like one of the tope recruits who just never could put it all together. I don't see him doing so when it gets that much more difficult. 

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ja’lynn Polk.  He has great hands, possesses physicality, run blocking ability, contested catches and is a threat downfield.   And he already has an nfl body.  That’s my guy.  

Elite catcher of the football. Would not mind him at all. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

For me it's Tez Walker. 

6'1.5"

Long arms

Big hands

Route running needs improvement, but seems fixable. 

I agree. Tez Walker looks really good. Really hope he is there at #60 for us. He would be a great down filed weapon for Josh. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I am saying after the top 3 guys he is next. Analytically he grades out as very good in basically every metric beside contested catches. Had above 3 yards per route run against man and zone, one of the top graded WRs against single coverage in the last few years (up there with Davante Smith, Jamar Chase, etc.). When it comes to explosive plays, he generated a 30 yard gain in 12/13 games. He had a 40 yard gain in 7/13 games. Both led the class. He is just a very consistent, explosive and well rounded receiver that a poor combine is dragging down the boards.

When you watch him play, you see why the analytics are so high on him. Excellent release package, can make plays at three levels, has some nastiness and wiggle to his yac, and was ALWAYS on the same page as Bo Nix. 

Thanks for that post. 

Outstanding.

I agree. If the Bills don't trade up for one of the big three, Franklin is the guy I'd like to see drafted by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Keon Coleman.

I think his Combine sunk his stock a bit with the draft community. But watching the tale he plays very fluid and smooth I see some Mike Williams in him and he's going to EAT in the red zone. That said, he's not a match for what I feel Buffalo should draft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I'm sticking with Keon Coleman. Every draft analyst I follow keeps posting his contested catch percentage and that's the end of the conversation for them. Personally I would bet on his size, strength, and competitiveness. He is not even 21 years old yet so he has room to grow into his skill set. When it all comes together I think he could be a true WR1. He won't separate with quicks but he'll bully defenders through the route, at the catch point, and with the ball in his hands.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

There are always a few running backs that get shuffled down the draft board and then once they get the right opportunity in the pros they shine.

Alvin Kamara was a 3rd rd pickin 2017.  

Kyren Williams was a 5th rd pick in 2022 and Zamir White was a 4th rd pick in 2022.  LVR finally made White the starter and in the last 4 weeks he put up nearly 400 yards on 84 carries.  Achane was a 3rd rd pick last season. Roschon Johnson was a 4th rd pick last year.

There are a couple of bigger backs that seem like they could be available in the 4th or 5th rd I believe would make the Bills a better team.  Isaac Guerendo is one of those guys.  The guy is 6' 221 who ran a 4.33 at the combine.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

42 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He started at OU and sucked.  

Ladd McConkey 

I guess my thing is that perhaps he was not ready for that at the time. But I hear you guys and you guys are 100%. I just think there is a lot of talent there and a good chance he winds up having a better career than some of the other guys at the top. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I guess my thing is that perhaps he was not ready for that at the time. But I hear you guys and you guys are 100%. I just think there is a lot of talent there and a good chance he winds up having a better career than some of the other guys at the top. 

Rattler may have an NFL future, but he is no Pat Mahomes.  Mahomes threw for 9705 yards with 77 TDs and only 25 picks his last two years in college as Texas Tech's starter.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Came here to say this.  He has great ball skills and knows how to go up and get the ball, something of great value that isn't on our roster right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm sticking with Keon Coleman. Every draft analyst I follow keeps posting his contested catch percentage and that's the end of the conversation for them. Personally I would bet on his size, strength, and competitiveness. He is not even 21 years old yet so he has room to grow into his skill set. When it all comes together I think he could be a true WR1. He won't separate with quicks but he'll bully defenders through the route, at the catch point, and with the ball in his hands.

I heard the biggest knock on him to the Bills was that he wasn't smooth and elusive and would struggle creating his own separation in the NFL? Experts are saying they'd prefer guys who can create separation to play with Josh Allen.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Came here to say this.  He has great ball skills and knows how to go up and get the ball, something of great value that isn't on our roster right now. 

Who are you taking?

Polk or Coleman?

McConkey or Pearsall?

Thomas Jr or Franklin?

Mitchell or Legette?

Thats not even mentioning 

Burton, Wilson, Swift, Washington, Rice

This draft is loaded 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

yup.  He can be a threat downfield as a 4.5 guys.  He has the advantage in most jump ball situations based on his skill set and innate ability to track the ball.  If we don’t land one of the top 4, I’d be ok trading back to draft him while  getting an additional day 2 pick or more.  I like Mitchell, Leggette and mcconkey more than Polk, but I like Polk and a day 2 pick more than those guys.  

2 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Who are you taking?

Polk

McConkey

Thomas Jr 

Mitchell 

TT those 4

This draft is loaded 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Definitely disagree with this one. Go watch any of the film from him at Oklahoma and you will see why he was benched in favor of Caleb Williams. He had Lincoln Riley as his HC, the same guy who coached Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray to Heisman Trophy's. Then he did an excellent job helping to rebuild Jalen Hurts' stock. Rattler couldn't be "the guy" under that HC. It would have been the same at Washington, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, or Florida St. He's really nothing special at all and he just doesn't have that "it" factor you look for in a QB either. The guy is nothing like Mahomes, in any way. 

The hype around Javon Baker reminds me very much of Tank Dell last season.  Just about every draft analyst I listen to has said glowing things about him, yet most are projecting him as a 3rd round pick.   If he has a good rookie season (like Dell) we’ll all wonder why he wasn’t drafted earlier.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going with Gabriel Murphy / Edge / UCLA.

Most people have him listed between the 3rd and 5th Rounds from what I see. I see a guy who plays with good power, has a decent little swim move, has adequate bend, a solid closing burst, and gets lined up in multiple places. I think at the least he will be a solid rotational guy who gets 5-7 sacks a season. #11 in the video. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

I heard the biggest knock on him to the Bills was that he wasn't smooth and elusive and would struggle creating his own separation in the NFL?

I think he creates separation at the catch point - using his size to lean into the CB at his route break and create an available target. There isn't going to be a ton of wide open separation at the NFL level. It's more about creating leverage to give your QB a throwing window. I think Coleman can do that just fine.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will give Keon Coleman another vote. He is really smooth and obviously athletic. He played with a QB who scrambled for a lot of off platform throws. He is graded lower than about 7 other receivers. I like him better than Legette and Mitchell.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, H2o said:

Definitely disagree with this one. Go watch any of the film from him at Oklahoma and you will see why he was benched in favor of Caleb Williams. He had Lincoln Riley as his HC, the same guy who coached Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray to Heisman Trophy's. Then he did an excellent job helping to rebuild Jalen Hurts' stock. Rattler couldn't be "the guy" under that HC. It would have been the same at Washington, LSU, Oregon, Michigan, or Florida St. He's really nothing special at all and he just doesn't have that "it" factor you look for in a QB either. The guy is nothing like Mahomes, in any way. 

I don’t think he’s Mahomes, but some of the flashes are similar and some of the flaws are similar coming out. But Rattler was probably way overrated coming in and probably a little underrated coming out. We shall see! That’s fun of the draft and looking back at these things! 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Who are you taking?

Polk or Coleman?  

McConkey or Pearsall?

Thomas Jr or Franklin?

Mitchell or Legette?

This draft is loaded 

Polk

McConkey

Thomas Jr

Mitchell

Yes this draft is loaded which is why I don’t like the idea of an expensive move up.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He's my guy too!! Mohamed Kamara isn't getting enough props, IMO

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

I really like him,but would like him a lot more if he weighed 10lbs more.  I also have an issue with him weaving everywhere in the gauntlet during the combine.

But whatever Beane thinks.

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t think he’s Mahomes, but some of the flashes are similar and some of the flaws are similar coming out. But Rattler was probably way overrated coming in and probably a little underrated coming out. We shall see! That’s fun of the draft and looking back at these things! 

I think highly of Rattler too.  It isn't like Caleb tore it up in place of Rattler.  He also had quite a few games at OU that he went off in.  He had no oline at SC and basically carried the team against far superior SEC talent.  I would go so far to say I would wager he has a better and longer NFL career than Caleb Williams.  That being said, dont want or need the Bills to draft him.

Not really under the radar but I would be happy if we got Legette or McConkey if either are available later than expected.

• Like (+1) 1