Why does Beane get a pass?

I don’t understand how anyone can defend Beane’s record on defensive line signings aside from Jones, Leonard Floyd, and Oliver’s extension.

Star

Tim Settle

Quinton Jefferson

Phillips

Vernon Butler

Poona

Murphy

Addison

Miller

The record speaks for itself

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

Defense line draft picks that never pan out

Defense tackle signings that are not good enough

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

In the decade before the Bills gave Brandon Beane (2008-2017) full control of the Bills, the organization under various GMs and the money-ball rule of Russ Brandon  ...

• drafted  Leodis McKelvin (#11 in 2008), Aaron Maybin (#11 in 2009), and CJ Spiller (#9 in 2010).
  • drafted James Hardy (2008), Torrell Troup (2010), Cyrus Kouanddijo (2014), Reggie Ragland (2016), and Zay Jones (2017) all in the second round.
  • traded Pro Bowl RB Marshawn Lynch (1 round pick in 2007) to Seattle in 2010.  Lynch made the Pro Bowl 4 times, All Pro once, and was a key player on the Seahawks' Super Bowl team.
  • traded away Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters before the 2009 season to Philadelphia.  Peters made the Pro Bowl 7 more times and All Pro twice.  He will be a first ballot HOFer when he becomes eligible.
  • drafted EJ Manuel in the first round of the 2013 draft.
  • did not even attempt to re-sign Pro Bowl Stephon Gilmore in 2017.  Playing for the Patriots, Gilmore made the Pro Bowl four more times, All Pro twice, and Defensive Player of the Year.  He also was a key member of the 2018 Patriots Super Bowl winning team.

More importantly, between 2008 and 2017, the Bills had a record of 69-91, two winning seasons, and one playoff appearance. 

Between 2018 and 2023 under Brandon Beane, the Bills have a record of 64-34, five winning seasons, five playoff appearances,  four straight AFCE appearances.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

When I see posts like this, I have to ask, what exactly are your expectations? That he has a 100% success rate on every draft pick, contract, trade, and free agent signing?

It just seems trivial to complain about this stuff when the team has made six playoff runs with four division titles. He also kept those teams mostly intact for four years, teams typically have more turnover than that from year to year. Now here we are with an inevitable retooling of the roster and this is where you're at with it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

We have the 2nd-most wins in the league that past five years. If you think that's all Josh Allen, that's your prerogative. I think Allen is a huge reason but there are other teams with franchise QBs who haven't won that many games.

That, combined with the early playoff exits (though the best team in the league, KC, s a big reason why), counts as very good but not great to me. If you want to think we're mediocre, go ahead.

I think it's mostly Josh Allen/McD. Then again, I think Josh Allen is clear and away the second best QB in the league, and McD a top 10 coach in the regular season, at least. That's a recipe for a lot of wins, regardless of the teams' overall talent level.  We just have to look at the other great coach/great QB combos. Reid/Mahomes. BB/Brady. Their teams always fluctuate in talent, that's the NFL.  They usually still win a lot.

Where do you rank the 2024 Bills in regards to talent level in the NFL?  Where do you rank the 2020 Bills?

I think the 2024 Bills currently (pre-draft) have probably their worst roster since 2018.  Do you disagree?  I think the 2020 had the best roster of the Beane/McD era.  Do you disagree? How many years do you think it will take to get the Bills to a 2020 team level of talent again? 1? 2? 3?

At what point do you watch the GM take total zeros like Elam, Boogie Basham and Cody Ford, overdraft JAGS like Epenesa and Rousseau, take the 4th best DL player in the first round at pick #9, refuse to draft a WR before the 4th round for 4 seasons, all while watching the overall talent of the team circle the drain before you blame him for it?

Edited by FireChans
  • Disagree 3

4 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

Just curious why he is so highly regarded when these issues have come to roost fully

Two words: Josh Allen

He’d otherwise be middle of the road. 

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Von miller contract

Dawson Knox contract

Stephen diggs contract

No reliable pass rusher 

Wyatt Teller give away

Edmunds 

In your OP I reacted with the vomiting emoji, though agreeing with the bold now above.

And also, of course!, agreeing that the Teller trade was awful. Was shocked and bewildered that he was traded to Cleveland, thought he showed all kinds of promise in the preseason.

In fact, in each of those cases I was immediately concerned, and then more so upon hearing the details of the Miller, Knox, and Diggs signings--very bad contracts for the Bills, to me.  Knox and Diggs should have been much less--and Diggs, shorter, while the Miller signing was a violation of the process, the way that Beane and McDermott  have built this team into a perennial contender.

And yup, try as they may, they have not been as successful on the D-line development as they should be, could be, hence the bad shot with Miller.

So Beane has made some bad moves, some hurting the team.

But it is awful thinking, illogical, ignorant, to then say THESE are the defining things, the most important aspects of his tenure as the Bills GM, one that has moved the Bills from a non-winning team, without a playoff game to its credit for decades, to a powerhouse team, 4 time AFC East champion, and a perennial Super Bowl contender.  By almost anyone's evaluation, the Bills became one of the top teams and organizations in the NFL almost from the moment he walked into One Bills Drive.

So your post is just more  of the same that we have seen on this board from a small and very ignorant minority, 1st grade thinking, rather than that of a sentient adult who can look at things more realistically, logically--objectively.

The Bills have had one of the best rosters in the NFL almost every year that Beane has been the Bills' GM.  This will be his toughest year, but all but the most ignorant would not have some hope that this smart, objective, dedicated GM can do the same thing again.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fan in San Diego said:

Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, Cook, Allen, DIggs, Edmunds, Poyer, Tre White, Hyde, ... Thats why

Diggs, Edmunds & White none of them a current Bill and most of us are glad!!

I like the guy. He’s really really REALLY good. Just not great. To me it’s as simple as that.

So the question is, can I appreciate the fact that we keep getting to the playoffs without being bitter about not yet reaching a Super Bowl… 

Edited by NORWOODS FOOT

My one criticism of Beane is he doesn't have elite players on this team outside of Josh. (And maybe Milano)

He is a very good GM who's built a very good team.

But he does need more elite talent if the bills are going to get over the hump IMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MWK said:

I don’t understand how anyone can defend Beane’s record on defensive line signings aside from Jones, Leonard Floyd, and Oliver’s extension.

Star

Tim Settle

Quinton Jefferson

Phillips

Vernon Butler

Poona

Murphy

Addison

Miller

The record speaks for itself

Yes multiple AFC championships and close but no cigar in playoffs. Keep perspective and he wasn’t responsible for 13 seconds. You can scrutinize other GM’s in the top 10 and they all don’t hit 💯. He’s made some mistakes for sure, but on balance I’ll take it. Miller got injured so 🤷🏻‍♂️.. the rest of those deals are vet guys some of whom contributed, some who were disappointing. 

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

My one criticism of Beane is he doesn't have elite players on this team outside of Josh. (And maybe Milano)

He is a very good GM who's built a very good team.

But he does need more elite talent if the bills are going to get over the hump IMO

That’s a fair assessment. The Miller deal was to jump start it and he got hurt. Elam so far a big miss, yet getting Douglas brilliant. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I think it's mostly Josh Allen/McD. Then again, I think Josh Allen is clear and away the second best QB in the league, and McD a top 10 coach in the regular season, at least. That's a recipe for a lot of wins, regardless of the teams' overall talent level.  We just have to look at the other great coach/great QB combos. Reid/Mahomes. BB/Brady. Their teams always fluctuate in talent, that's the NFL.  They usually still win a lot.

Where do you rank the 2024 Bills in regards to talent level in the NFL?  Where do you rank the 2020 Bills?

I think the 2024 Bills currently (pre-draft) have probably their worst roster since 2018.  Do you disagree?  I think the 2020 had the best roster of the Beane/McD era.  Do you disagree? How many years do you think it will take to get the Bills to a 2020 team level of talent again? 1? 2? 3?

At what point do you watch the GM take total zeros like Elam, Boogie Basham and Cody Ford, overdraft JAGS like Epenesa and Rousseau, take the 4th best DL player in the first round at pick #9, refuse to draft a WR before the 4th round for 4 seasons, all while watching the overall talent of the team circle the drain before you blame him for it?

Lots of disagrees with this post, but I guess folks are afraid to answer my questions. 

No GM is perfect.  We’re winning a lot more than we were before he got here.  Beane doesn’t get a pass but he does get respect for building a perennial playoff team, going for our 5th straight division win next year.  

On the flip side, Von was a crazy flyer but I see why he did it.  Elam was picking for need which Beaner always said was a bad idea, and last year he and his scouts wanted a WR in the 5th and they chose Shorter over Nacua who is a top 5 elite WR that would have put us over the top.  Scratchin my head over that one.  

6 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

He hasn't earned criticism?

He gets plenty of criticism on this board.  He also gets plenty of applause.  Do you think the national media should be shredding him?  Should Pegula call a pc to inform everyone that Beane isn’t getting a pass?

What shall we do ensure he doesn’t get a pass?

Not sure what the point of this thread is.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Saint Doug said:

He’d otherwise be middle of the road. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He gets plenty of criticism on this board.  He also gets plenty of applause.  Do you think the national media should be shredding him?  Should Pegula call a pc to inform everyone that Beane isn’t getting a pass?

Idiotic topic;  Beane has made us a SB contender each year.......next post

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Struggling to find it now, but I swear I read something the other day that Terry hasn’t actually spoken to the media/taken questions since something crazy like 2019 for the Sabres and 2020 for the Bills. dates might be a little off, but I think that’s close. 

I would absolutely kill for Terry Pegula to address the new stadium, PSL’s, anything regarding the Sabres, why the fork he backed out of his Rochester Americans lease 11 years early, or why he has refused to keep up with general maintenance with the KBC. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I think we will win the AFCE and make the playoffs too. But when we ask why haven't we made that final step and won a Championship that set of moves in 2022 looms large IMO.

True enough, but to a great degree our defense has been the reason for this plateau as it were, imo the soft zone / contain defense that worked acceptably for the most part in the regular has been the teams bane come the postseason, and that is on our HC for running back the same post season defensive scheme annually,  for lack of a better description. I like McDermott for the most part, but he has a stubborn streak a mile long…, and imo that’s where the trouble lies. 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

We have in most peoples eyes a HOF QB and enough players acquired by Beane that we have 4 pages of justifying his actions. A coach, who many of the same people in this thread defend until the bitter end.

So why is it again that our ceiling is a Wild Card win and Division championship in a trash division?

Did we not just miss pretty badly in our first attempt to go all in with the cap? 

Did we not miss in passing on a guy like Hopkins for peanuts in comparison?

Not drafting more weapons for Josh?

Not prioritizing the offensive line for several years?

He's a solid GM. The OP didn't say we should get rid of him. He said should he get a pass? The answer is no. He has hand in this and deserves being critiqued like any other member who has a hand in this.    

The OP is confused, in that he appears to believe that the organization is unaware of the personnel decisions that didn’t work out and the ramifications there in, when the reverse is the case, the op is looking for something that is never gonna happen, and he should know this. 

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

OP wants this:

Beane —
Vince Mcmahon GIF

• Agree 1

Beane doesn't get a pass but he's a good GM. I have 3 complaints about him. I used to have 4 with the oline but with the emergence of Brown and Torrence and McGovern being a steal of a signing I can't say the oline anymore. 

1. The Von Miller contract. Never ever spend that much money on any free agent whose over 30. I'd go a step further and say over 27. 

2. Diggs has basically been Josh Allen only weapon the entire time. Beane has completely failed in surrounding Allen with elite offensive talent. He's taken short cuts on offense hoping it would work out. Dear lord Isiah Mckenzie was our # 3 receiver two seasons ago. That is disgusting and inexcusable. Blowing two 3rds and a 2nd on RB. multiple receivers are on the field at any one time. Why aren't we using premium picks there for offensive positions?

3. Hes over paid and remaind loyal to defensive players who aren't playing premium positions (Poyer/Hyde) And a rotating list of back up dends and dtackles and its come at the expense of not being able to surround our offense with elite talent. McDermott is a defensive coach. Let him turn late round picks and bargain FA signings into decent players. 

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Outside Diggs this offense is so much more loaded than 2020. Oline is leaps and bounds better. Beane will correct the receiver issue. I have no doubt about that. 

On the defensive side 2020 was better but I actually might take the 2024 front 7. That 2020 secondary though was All Pro level.

Kinda comes down to Bernard vs. Edmunds. Rosseau vs. Hughes. Epenesa/Miller vs. Addison and Jones vs. Harrison. 

Personally I am taking 2024 in every case with Rosseau vs. Hughes being a push and maybe Edmunds ahead of Bernard but its close. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Outside Diggs this offense is so much more loaded than 2020.

?????

Diggs, Beasley, Brown, Davis, Singletary.

Shakir, Samuel, Hollins, Cook.

??????????????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

True enough, but to a great degree our defense has been the reason for this plateau as it were, imo the soft zone / contain defense that worked acceptably for the most part in the regular has been the teams bane come the postseason, and that is on our HC for running back the same post season defensive scheme annually,  for lack of a better description. I like McDermott for the most part, but he has a stubborn streak a mile long…, and imo that’s where the trouble lies. 

I disagree there. I think personnel, not coaching is the bigger contributor.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

?????

??????????????

Beasley you might have an argument he was damn good that year. 

Brown was injured and done that season.

Davis was a rookie and outside a few sprinkles of flash plays didn't do much.

Singletary is no Cook and did next to nothing. 

Knox was a rookie and useless. 

Now let's add a Shakir and Samuel who blow the injured Brown and Rookie Davis socks off. 

Todays Knox destroys rookie Knox.

Kincaid is so much far and away better and more dynamic than the 2020 Tightends and quite honestly will be better than Beasley and allows the Bills to run much more dynamic looks. 

Cook is so much better than Singletary. Singletary just doesn't come close to being anywhere near as dynamic or as much as a game breaker. People forget that Cook was 5th in the NFL in all purpose yards. Singletary goes to bed at night of dreaming in the top 25. 

Oline is better across the board outside center. McGovern is no slouch either. 

Josh Allen is better today than back then.

So basically Diggs vs. to be named receivers. Does 2020 Diggs tilt the scale that much? He was awesome. I think the Bills win a Superbowl in either 2020 or 2021 with that Diggs and the current Bills supporting cast. 

I stand by what I said. The 2024 offensive roster is more talented and the 2020 Diggs is the only reason why its within a reach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills who could easily add a Tyler Boyd and Xavier Legette still to this roster and likely will. 

Edited by HaldimandBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Off topic...sorry...... It feels like a punch in the chest loosing Diggs and I'm an older man. .. Can't imagine what a 10 year old feels.? (he had to go) ........ As far as Beane goes..... You must be Sh....ng me. ... Not perfect but easily best since Polian. ......... Some of us have become jaded. .....  GO BILLS   ...... I'd rather try replacing Diggs than Josh. ..... Ya gotta remember, this is the NFL 2024.

Edited by Kornfed
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

6 playoff appearances in 7 seasons after not appearing in the playoffs for 17 years.  4 straight division titles after not winning the division title since 1995.  That's why he gets a pass so far.

Also he brought in All-pro caliber players like Hyde, Poyer, Morse, and Diggs.  He also drafted current starters Kincaid, Oliver, Torrence, Cook, Allen, Shakir, Rousseau, Brown, Taron Johnson, and Benford, plus solid role players like Epenesa, Phillips (now a starter on his new team), Davis, Knox, Singletary, Moss, Dane Jackson and Neal. 

Face-it, Beane has done a very good job, and has been the Bills best GM since Polian.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane assembled the team that was poised to win the Super Bowl in the 13 seconds season.  It isn't his fault the coaches choked.  

And that team was not built at the expense of the future.  There were very few expensive rental players, people whose contracts stuck around long after they left.  The only real exception to that rule was the Von Miller signing, which McDermott insisted on because of, you guessed it, the 13 second debacle, where McD implied the reason for the loss was the lack of a pass rushing closer.  

It's very common in today's NFL for mediocre teams to bump along season after season, occasionally making the playoffs but not going very far, and then slipping back into mediocrity.  Beane has kept the Bills in a position to win, year after year. This past year, when the Bills got the #2 seed in the AFC, was actually a down year.  Think about that and then try to recall the drought years.

?????

??????????????

Did you forget Kincaid?  And really we can't compare the 2024 roster to any others, until we see what the 2024 roster actually turns out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

?????

??????????????

It's really, really disingenuous of you to not list Kincaid there. You don't like Beane, I get it. I don't love him but I'd give him a B. Good but not great so far.

But for you to leave out Kincaid in the list of offensive weapons really says a lot.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Two words....Albert Einstein

No theory of relativity, he's just a cut-rate university professor

Off topic, but actuallllly ....  Albert Einstein made amazing scientific accomplshments totally independent of the theory of relativity.  For example, his Nobel Prize was not for the theory of relativity which was still somewhat controversial at the time.  Einstein would not have, in any way, been a cut-rate university professor even if he never thought about relativity.

OK, back to football.

Edited by Billy Claude

2 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Off topic, but actuallllly ....  Albert Einstein made amazing scientific accomplshments totally independent of the theory of relativity.  For example, his Nobel Prize was not for the theory of relativity which was still somewhat controversial at the time.  Einstein would not have, in any way, been a cut-rate university professor even if he never thought about relativity.

OK, back to football.

I figured.  I went for the quick joke.  In all honesty, I think Beane is really good at his job.

Could you imagine this board if we rolled out K.C.'s receiving corp last year.  They actually traded a premium pick for Toney, and busted with 2nd rounder Sky Moore.  That's not to mention picking CEH in the first round, trading away the best receiver in the league, trading their top cornerback, drafting a first round pass rusher last year who could barely get on the field, etc. etc. But none of it matters because they win.   Their roster, in my opinion, doesn't look any better than ours.  But Mahomes and Kelce just find a way.  So Veach will be lauded on here, and Beane dinged....cuz it's all about the rings.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

Nobody can fairly rank the 2024 Bills compared to the rest of the NFL or the 2020 Bills because the 2024 roster is not close to being complete.  

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

?????

??????????????

How about Kincaid?   Did you forget about him or did you categorically exclude TEs because the Bills didn't have a good one in 2020?  How about Torrence, McGovern, and Brown?   The OL isn't a flashy unit but if a team doesn't have a good one, its offense is going to be significantly diminished no matter how good the skilled players are.   Beane has built one good enough to allow the Bills to run well, even on third and short or in the red zone, something that the Bills in 2020 couldn't do very well.

Haven't read all the posts but just replying to the title.

He gets a pass because he built a playoff team from nothing.

LP Losman anyone?  How about Orton?

SINGLE digit win column from 2000-2018?

No playoffs?

Beane is a very good GM.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

?????

??????????????

Holy crap talk about being disingenuous.

I guess Kincaid won’t be used.  

Is our roster complete?

By your replies, it sounds like you think our offensive line in 2020 was better than now.  Tight Ends were also better.  Running game was better in 2020?

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Beane is not perfect and he is no genius.

I have liked most of his offseason moves over the years. 

I have posted my disagreements with his choices.  In many cases I was proven wrong - Bernard for sure. I hated the Oliver pick and didn't like the extension. Oliver is not a top 10 draft pick talent but he is very good. I hated trading Diggs and I hated Epenesa pick and now extension. 

I actually like the Benjamin trade and the Miller signing. Really like the Knox deal as he was one of my favorites though he simply has not developed.

He has been elite at getting guys to rework their deals.

His two flaws are giving up too many picks moving up in the draft and until this last year he failed at building a OL.

The problem is KC has a better team and a better HC. In almost every way we are the Manning/Dungy Colts. Our only hope is Allen can win at least one Lombardi 

Fire everybody!

16 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Please provide me with an example outside of Denver and Greenbay that have as much money tied up as us on no production 

I think it would be best if you back up your own (silly) argument. Or can't you?